HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MSG's Reaction When Jagr Returns

Old
09-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Maaxse

vCash: 500
I'll cheer if he misses an open net goal.

Maaxse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
Wow, he called his best skater & captain a few days before July 1st and then patiently waited to throw money at Redden. Whoopy.
He called Jagr in advance of the July 1st deadline, Jagr's camp didn't make an attempt to hammer out a contract, and you're blaming Sather for this again why????

Quote:
He really sounds like he bent over backwards to bring him back in that article. Infer what you want about Jagr's intentions, but it was Sather who made the decision to move on.
Do you know how the business of hockey works? Sather is a General Manager and he has a team and organization to run... Does Jagr have that responsibility on his end? It's quite obvious that negotiations are time sensitive.... Sather can't set aside $5-6 mil of cap space and give Jagr until September 1st to decide on whether or not he wants to re-sign with the Rangers or jump ship to the KHL... Did you read Ray Shero's comments that I posted? He did the same exact thing....

Quote:
And the previous salary definitely plays a role. See Jeter's situation if you don't think so.
Can you please explain why what goes on in the MLB, which has no hard salary cap, has any relation to what goes on in the NHL, which has a salary cap? There is absolutely no basis for comparing this situation to baseball. Sorry.

Quote:
Actually I did crunch the #s and I've come to same thought as Jagr apparently did,
"With the contracts for Scotty, Dru and Hank [Henrik Lundqvist], and then signing [Wade] Redden, they have almost $30M in four players, so there wasn't enough for me after that," Jagr said. "The Rangers wanted to get better on defense and they spent a lot of money on Redden.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...7cm2JPPFODoZfO

Suppose Jagr would have signed for 7M over 2 years. That's about 35M invested in 5 players (Redden 6.5, Gomez 7.5, Drury 7, & Lund 7). 60% of the cap. That's assuming they don't re-sign Roszi. Now, if they had kept Tyutin, they'd need to sign another top 6 winger to replace the non acquisition of Zherdev. If they do trade Tyutin, now they have to sign another top 4 d-man. These moves cost money.

Plus, I believe Dubinsky & Callahan were impending RFA's at the end of the season & we had a cap penalty going in of $750K or so.

It simply doesn't work.

And I'm not going to answer your other questions because they don't matter.
Rangers did not have to pursue Naslund, Kalinin, they could have made other moves and made it work....

Quote:
If the Rangers couldn't re-sign Jagr, who cares why he didnt sign with another team or why he stayed for 3 years in the KHL.
Who cares? Because we're talking about intentions here... If you believe Jagr was intent on re-signing with the Rangers and staying in the NHL, I want to know why you believe he: A) Didn't have his agent make a serious attempt to reach agreement on a new contract and B) Why he didn't field offers from other teams and remain in the NHL?

My contention is that you don't have good answers for these questions because it's pretty obvious that Jagr wanted to go play in the KHL...

Quote:
Why not go through the courtesy? Jagr was the captain. He left on good terms. He was well liked by the coaching staff & played his heart out in the playoffs. Of course Sather wants Jagr back, but it simply wasn't possible. The money was not there for him because Sather had already committed it elsewhere.
There was cap space available... Naslund's $4 mil + Kalinin's $2.1 mil.... Jagr was 36 years old and coming off his worst offensive production of his career.... If you think a 36 year old coming off a down season is getting top dollar on a short-term deal, that's crazy talk...

Quote:
Sather called him to 1. Not look like the bad guy for letting a very popular player go because of his own mistakes, and 2. Put the feeler out there. If Jagr would have been willing to sign for cheap, then certainly they'd have kept him around...but we all know that wasn't going to happen.
Not look like that bad guy? That's exactly what fans with your opinion are making him out to be.... Doesn't sound like a very plausible explanation to me.... If anything it was Jagr who didn't want to look like a bad guy by immediately signing with the KHL following teh conclusion of the Rangers season... He forced Sather's hand by not attempting to negotiate a new contract before July 1st.... Jagr and his Agent understand how the business works.... Teams need to get their ducks in a row before the UFA feeding frenzy because they cannot risk missing out on signing the available players and want to be able to field the most competitive team possible, and not end up with unused cap space if they have $$$ to spend.... Again, for the last time, if Jagr wanted to stay in the NHL, why didn't he instruct his agent to negotiate with other teams in the league? I cannot recall a single report of Jagr fielding offers from other NHL teams that summer, can you? That's because they weren't fielding offers...

I had no problem with Jagr signing in the KHL... That was his decision to make... I do have an issue with the idea that Jagr was waiting around for a new Rangers contract and that Sather simply spurned him and chose to go with inferior talent in players like Markus Naslund.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 09-30-2011 at 03:50 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:36 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
This is incorrect.... Jagr and his Agent made no serious attempt to negotiate a new contract with the Rangers leading up to July 1st and intentionally dragged their feet.... Sather had no choice but to pursue other options on July 1st rather than wait around all summer for Jagr to eventually pursue his KHL payday that he wanted anyway.... If you read the interviews on July 1st, Sather says he waited around for Jagr's agent to contact them leading up to July 1st, and they didn't get that call, so he spoke with Jagr that day and they told them they were moving in a different direction....
both sides are to blame IMO, they wanted the other to make the first move but neither side was willing to concede that negotiation advantage. Jagr was having a "show me the money" moment and Sather was doing his "just how little can i sign Jagr for?" moment. Did Sather even put out an offer? I don't know about you but the last time I checked, GMs pursue UFAs, not the other way around.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:01 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
both sides are to blame IMO, they wanted the other to make the first move but neither side was willing to concede that negotiation advantage. Jagr was having a "show me the money" moment and Sather was doing his "just how little can i sign Jagr for?" moment
Agree with this... If I recall there was a Larry Brooks, NY Post article, that insinuated Jagr wanted a 3-year deal, which was a head scratcher for many fans given his age and declining production... Sather likely seeking 1 year deal....

Quote:
Did Sather even put out an offer? I don't know about you but the last time I checked, GMs pursue UFAs, not the other way around.
Sather's own words suggest he contacted Jagr's camp to start negotiations and gauge interest, at least 6 days in advance of July 1st... That qualifies as pursuit in my book.... It's Jagr's camp that reportedly did not initiate the communication that would have been required to come to agreement on a new deal....

I appreciated Jagr's contributions while he was a Ranger... I understood that he had every right to sign wherever he wanted... I was not bitter or upset when I found out he would be signing with the KHL.... The issue I do have is the portrayal that he was waiting around for a Ranger contract on July 1st and Sather spurned him and gave him the boot... I firmly believe Jagr had his mind made up well in advance.... I remember reading reports of the KHL President visiting NYC and Brooks writing about Jagr meeting with him....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:37 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Agree with this... If I recall there was a Larry Brooks, NY Post article, that insinuated Jagr wanted a 3-year deal, which was a head scratcher for many fans given his age and declining production... Sather likely seeking 1 year deal....

Sather's own words suggest he contacted Jagr's camp to start negotiations and gauge interest, at least 6 days in advance of July 1st... That qualifies as pursuit in my book.... It's Jagr's camp that reportedly did not initiate the communication that would have been required to come to agreement on a new deal....

I appreciated Jagr's contributions while he was a Ranger... I understood that he had every right to sign wherever he wanted... I was not bitter or upset when I found out he would be signing with the KHL.... The issue I do have is the portrayal that he was waiting around for a Ranger contract on July 1st and Sather spurned him and gave him the boot... I firmly believe Jagr had his mind made up well in advance.... I remember reading reports of the KHL President visiting NYC and Brooks writing about Jagr meeting with him....
i think Jagr would have liked to use the market to drive his price up because Sather was too comfortable with his half-off salary. We weren't gonna give him the seven or so million he got on his previous contract. Sather couldn't wait for that because if he wanted to move on Drury and Gomez, it would have had to happen at the stroke of midnight. In the end, how did it all work out for us?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Czech Your Math

Hope I'm not intruding by posting here.

I think it was after the '07 season that it was all but determined. Jagr wanted the Rangers to keep Nylander and get a top D-man. The Rangers wanted to go in a new direction with Gomez and Drury. Sather was hoping Jagr would trigger his discounted option year, but that was unlikely (don't remember the trigger).

If Rangers really wanted to keep Jagr, they probably should have offered Nylander ~3 year deal during the '07 season, contingent on a verbal commitment from Jagr that he would sign for 2+ years in a certain range after '08.

Once they let Nylander go (and don't blame them at that point) and gave Gomez and Drury huge deals, the chances of keeping Jagr was slim to none. While there was a chance Jagr would sign at a discounted price (to his previous contract and KHL value) for 2+ years @ $5M+, there was no way he was going to do so when players who are half as good were getting more on the same team.

At that point, it was sort of like his last year in Pittsburgh, in that it was all but impossible for the team to keep him as the highest paid player on the team while fielding a cup contending team.

As it worked out, Rangers got their rebuild and Jagr got his $, and now both have chances for a Cup?

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:12 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
I know the thread is about MSG, but when I went to the game the other night in Philly vs the Rangers, all I could do was stand up and clap for the guy once his name was announced. My wife, who isn't as big of a fan as me, even understood what he meant post lock out. He didn't look as fast as he did a few years ago, but the guy can still shoot and use his body. I wish he was in Ranger Blue, but it is what it is. By telling from his comments about not signing with Pittsburgh the guy obviously wanted to put HIMSELF in the best situation to play big minutes. Him and Giroux are looking scary together right now.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve View Post
I know the thread is about MSG, but when I went to the game the other night in Philly vs the Rangers, all I could do was stand up and clap for the guy once his name was announced. My wife, who isn't as big of a fan as me, even understood what he meant post lock out. He didn't look as fast as he did a few years ago, but the guy can still shoot and use his body. I wish he was in Ranger Blue, but it is what it is. By telling from his comments about not signing with Pittsburgh the guy obviously wanted to put HIMSELF in the best situation to play big minutes. Him and Giroux are looking scary together right now.
I agree.

I smiled and laughed when he scored the one-timer goal against us.

Just like old times

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote