HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

"We" vs. "The Flyers"

Old
09-30-2011, 11:10 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
I dont have an issue with "we" being used. Its been used by other teams fan bases and in other sports for decades. its no big deal whether you like to use it or dont.
Sometimes you get caught up in the moment and use it. Like when the Flyers came back and beat the Bruins a couple years ago.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:15 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
When the Flyers win, the team gets 2 points, the fans get satisfaction, Philadelphia won, etc, etc. If I come home from a Flyer game and my son and I are happy and smiling she says "you won" or "they won". I could easily say "flyers won" or "we won". Both are clear in terms of what we are talking about!

As for, "we the fans" are not part of the team. Think football. The 13th man. The fans absolutely are a part of the organization and its success. The Flyers get energy from crowd noise, the Flyers spend to the cap because "we" support the team. Florida has **** fans and therefore they suck, if their fans supported the team - they could attract players and win like the Flyers.

I have no problem using We. Anyone on this board has the right, cause more than likely, "we" are diehards. Who-ra!

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:19 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
No sports organization can exist without the fans. "We" is acceptable.
Florida Marlins?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:27 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
If you buy a bond or a stock, do you have any direct influence on the managers and employees of a company outperforming the past years goals? No, correct? But are you in fact a part of 'we'? Yes, hell you will even get sent letters from the company, business reports, plans and everything as such referring to you as 'we' and such. As others point out, we buy the jerseys, the tickets, the merchandise, which influences the team.

Granted, thats equity and debt positioning, but it's still not like buying a PS3 or something, as this product we are purchasing and supporting is entirely local, based in one area. If the Atlanta Thrashers were located in Philly, wouldnt WE have lead them to be a better team and still exist and such?

That said, for some reason I just never have said 'we' when referring to a sports team, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.
Thats entirely different because as the owner of a stock or bond, you also OWN a percentage of that company. Buying a season ticket of a privately owned franchise, or a jersey or popcorn in the concession doesnt entitle you to any form of ownership that a Bond or stock does. Even then, I dont say We when talking about companies I own stock in, just feels weird.

As I said, it doesnt bother me that people say it, just something I dont say because my mind runs very business like, and I dont feel that I am part of any organization, sports or other because I purchase merchandise or entertainment value. At the same time, I don't live in Philly so maybe the mentallity is slightly different for those living in the same city as their fav team. Also though, I am a season ticket holder of the Kitchener Rangers, a team which is owned by the season ticket holders, and I dont say we, its just weird coming out of my mouth.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:12 PM
mirimon

There's always Ebbsfleet United, if you really, really want to be able to say "we" about the team and yourself, without being questioned by some *********...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:24 PM
usahockey22flyers
Shot, Rebound, Score

Who pays for the tickets? Who buys the merchandise? Who is the reason for revenue?

We are. In a sense we're paying the players, not the GM/Owner.

The fans are the reason Sidney Crosby is all over NHL Network.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:31 PM
DUHockey9

It is still ridiculous to say "we" are a part of the organization. It's not even something that is remotely subjective. Unless you are paid by the Philadelphia Flyers you are NOT part of the organization.

Do you say "we" as if you are part of the organization of your health insurance provider? No you don't. You pay them, they provide you a service. Just like the Flyers.

Again, I have no issue with "we" because I belong to this city, and so do the Flyers. They represent my city. But no, none of us are part of the organization.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:45 PM
kungpao

Send a message via MSN to kungpao
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Anyone who makes an issue out of this is a curmudgeon, plain and simple.
This!

We(fans of our team) beat Them(fans of their team) The time I invested in the team of my choosing won it's game and I'm a winner for my team choosing decisions!

How often do you hear "This is for the fans!" That's right... We won.

kungpao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:02 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

I am a ****ing Philadelphia Flyer. So I say "we" sometimes.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:41 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Florida Marlins?
Poof, they're no more. Look what you did. Now they'll have to start a Miami Marlins because of you.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:08 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
The Canucks used this promotional material last year:

Clearly they want their fans saying 'we'.

09-30-2011, 02:13 PM
PuckBoy33

One

I think the Eagles did it perfectly in 2004: "ONE" (fans, players, all).

PuckBoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Anyone who makes an issue out of this is a curmudgeon, plain and simple.
I don't think "we" is appropriate beyond the age of 16.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:39 PM
DUHockey9

I really don't get why this bothers people.

I view it as one city versus another city. I'm a Philadelphian. If the Philadelphia Flyers win, I think "we won". That doesn't mean I think I'm on the team, or the organization. That's retarded.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
It's the fans' money that makes the team possible. I have no problem with people saying "we."

09-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

I do not have a problem with the word "we". I do know I use the word "my" and "our" fairly frequently and do not consider this out of line. "We" as fans can help the team by the influence of energy at a game. I know for a fact back in the days of the band box "I" loved called the Spectrum ,the fans pumped up the team on many a occasion. I would not concern myself about what others think as long as you feel comfortable in what you are doing. And lets keep cheering "our" team on. Go Flyers.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Flyers845

I never say we won. I'm not on the team. Just a fan

Flyers845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:50 PM
trigzter

If "We" dont spend money, "They" don't play. This really is just semantics. At what point does the "we" part stop working? Just the players? Players and the coaches? Players coaches and the front office? Players, coaches, the front office, and assistants? (trainers, waterboys) As you can see, this can keep expanding. I don't see any scenario where fans cant say we.

trigzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:55 PM
mirimon

Whenever this type of discussions are brought up, I'm reminded of this fellow called Bajentomten (Bajen Santa). In 2001, Hammarby IF, or Bajen, finally won a Swedish soccer championship after 104 years of more or less futile attempts, and a Swedish television channel followed Santa on the day they secured the championship. He most definitely considered himself to be part of the team...

A little background story:

Hammarby is a local rival team to mine, but it's one of those teams you can't really dislike. In part since they never win (after this one, things have not been so good for them and they are currently plaing in tier II and might find themselves in tier III next year). There is also a lot of myths and nostalgia around the club, it has a bohemian atmosphere and authors, rock artists, painters, often follow this club, while it also is from the South of Stockholm, which was mostly populated by the working class back in the day.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:34 PM
97FlyersKing18

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigzter View Post
If "We" dont spend money, "They" don't play. This really is just semantics. At what point does the "we" part stop working? Just the players? Players and the coaches? Players coaches and the front office? Players, coaches, the front office, and assistants? (trainers, waterboys) As you can see, this can keep expanding. I don't see any scenario where fans cant say we.
The line is drawn in that all of those people, EXCEPT the fans receive a paycheck from the organization. Athletic trainers are a part of the organization because they ensure the product (the players) is in tip-top shape, just as the coaches make sure the players are prepared before a performance and the GM/scouts bring together players to the organization. Heck, the cotton candy man from Istanbul that has no idea what a puck is is far closer to "we" than even the most die-hard fan. With the current economic pitfalls of this country, we all know that a heavy majority of attendance at sporting events in today's society are corporation men that couldn't have an intellectual conversation debating the effectiveness of Scott Hartnell or Roy Halliday's Cy Young resume or could even tell you who Brian Westbrook is.

Plain and simple, don't say "we" unless you actually impact the game. Do fans score goals, make heroic saves, or fight men the size of black bears? The momentum that fans "create" is only effective if the players on the ice take advantage of opportunities to score or make a big hit. Otherwise, it is just white noise from fans that know next to nothing about the game clamoring for a quick shot on a 5on3 or cheering a big hit while the other team goes the other way on a 2on1. "They" are professional athletes that have earned the exclusive right to not being lumped into the same category as "us". With enough dedication, you can teach nearly anyone on this planet financial accounting, biology, or history, but you cannot teach a 5'3 145lb man how to be 6'4 225lbs power forward with the skill to overpower a defender and roof a 90MPH slapshot from the top of the circle.

How would you feel if you were a brain surgeon that broke through and discovered a decades worth of research and everyone at the University you worked at took credit, including the Sorostitute with a 1.6 GPA and only cared about Kim Kardashian, Lady Gaga and tailgating before a football game stated to her friends at another college "We like made...um like a huge like...um discovery at the chemistry lab."

Get some perspective people.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:52 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Curmudgeon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
The line is drawn in that all of those people, EXCEPT the fans receive a paycheck from the organization. Athletic trainers are a part of the organization because they ensure the product (the players) is in tip-top shape, just as the coaches make sure the players are prepared before a performance and the GM/scouts bring together players to the organization. Heck, the cotton candy man from Istanbul that has no idea what a puck is is far closer to "we" than even the most die-hard fan. With the current economic pitfalls of this country, we all know that a heavy majority of attendance at sporting events in today's society are corporation men that couldn't have an intellectual conversation debating the effectiveness of Scott Hartnell or Roy Halliday's Cy Young resume or could even tell you who Brian Westbrook is.

Plain and simple, don't say "we" unless you actually impact the game. Do fans score goals, make heroic saves, or fight men the size of black bears? The momentum that fans "create" is only effective if the players on the ice take advantage of opportunities to score or make a big hit. Otherwise, it is just white noise from fans that know next to nothing about the game clamoring for a quick shot on a 5on3 or cheering a big hit while the other team goes the other way on a 2on1. "They" are professional athletes that have earned the exclusive right to not being lumped into the same category as "us". With enough dedication, you can teach nearly anyone on this planet financial accounting, biology, or history, but you cannot teach a 5'3 145lb man how to be 6'4 225lbs power forward with the skill to overpower a defender and roof a 90MPH slapshot from the top of the circle.

How would you feel if you were a brain surgeon that broke through and discovered a decades worth of research and everyone at the University you worked at took credit, including the Sorostitute with a 1.6 GPA and only cared about Kim Kardashian, Lady Gaga and tailgating before a football game stated to her friends at another college "We like made...um like a huge like...um discovery at the chemistry lab."

Get some perspective people.
That last sentence is so ****ing ironic, particularly given how ****** bat**** insane the rest of your post is.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:03 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBoy33 View Post
Paul Jolowicz on WIP sports radio rips people on this all the time. Unless your name is on the roster, you shouldn't refer to a team as "we" according to Jolly. He makes it a point to mention he went to Penn almost every broadcast by the way.
So I guess if I played on an intramural team with Jolowicz at Penn, he'd get mad at me if I said, "It looks like WE'VE got a fat, boring and ugly team."

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
My thoughts as well. Whenever I hear it i tend to cringe. Mostly I grew sour of it over the years of hearing too many half drunken rants by over zealous and entitled sounding people putting down fans of other teams. Literally structuring sentences as if they were on the field/court/ice what have you laying a body check on the other person... .

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:33 PM
97FlyersKing18

Quote:
Curmudgeon!

That last sentence is so ****ing ironic, particularly given how ****** bat**** insane the rest of your post is.
The line for "we" is drawn at the point of receiving a ring for a championship. "They" as in the trainers, scouts, players and coaches all receive one, while "we" do not.

Please point me to your name on the Stanley Cup. It must be between Maurice and Henri Richard. Or is it underneath Bobby Clarke? Let me guess, it's right next to Mike Babcock? How about your plethora of Super Bowl Rings? Is your name Tom Brady? Are there any videos of your game winning Grand Slam with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th in the World Series Game 7?

To any organization, you are an insignificant fan, that can be easily replaced. Get some perspective on sports in your life.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:37 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

i only say "I". I won the game. Sometimes i say Wi

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote