HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How is Schenn looking

Old
09-30-2011, 12:32 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

vCash: 500
the offense will come for a guy like schenn with time. the preseason action i have seen of him he has looked solid. when i first heard about the richards trade my first thought was i hope they got schenn back... i'm a big fan of his.

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:33 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
I also was a big fan of the Flyers getting Simmonds. Knew fans would love him. He's the perfect fit for your team.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:36 PM
JoeLassister

Any news on Schenn injury ? How long will he be out for ?

JoeLassister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:40 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid swords View Post
do you have any idea where he fits into the flyers lineup? or are line combinations still in the air? i picked him with my last pick in a fantasy league and i am really only hoping that he wins 500+ faceoffs, and anything more than 10g 20a would just be gravy on top. are these realistic expectations? i imagined he'll be playing on the third line with simmonds? who else would be on that line?
Matt Read, who has looked very good so far.

As for the 500+ FOW, that really depends on how the Flyers want to use him. Jeff Carter was the Flyers best FO guy last year (54.7%) but only had 331 FOW last year because Richards (49.8%, 606 FOW) and Giroux (50%, 548 FOW) took the majority of the FOs (for whatever reason).
I think if he starts with the club 30-35 points is reasonable, maybe even 40.

Also, Wayne Simmonds is awesome. That is all. Big fan of his since the 09-10 season.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Schenn has looked exactly like I was hoping him to be, honestly.
He's strong on the puck for a 20year old kid, he looked good on the PP whenever he got the chance, he was very good on the PK and he's probably our best face-off man righ-away and his skating wasn't an issue (he even flew by a defender in one of the games against Toronto, making a nice pass to ...Read (I guess) who couldn't tuck it in.
Agreed. Schenn looked very good when I watched. He makes nice passes, has good vision and he'll score eventually too. He's pretty solid physically and his skating etc. is all NHL calibre too.

That was a great pass vs. Toronto too, and he made a few others that game.

He's going to be a gem, and he's already good enough to play.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:06 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid swords View Post
do you have any idea where he fits into the flyers lineup? or are line combinations still in the air? i picked him with my last pick in a fantasy league and i am really only hoping that he wins 500+ faceoffs, and anything more than 10g 20a would just be gravy on top. are these realistic expectations? i imagined he'll be playing on the third line with simmonds? who else would be on that line?
hes probably going to start the year in the a. where hell be playing top minutes for the phantoms.

given his role and play so far there simply isnt a way to justify his cap hit and it wouldnt surprise me to see him buried until the flyers can either renegotiate the deal (elc is up at the end of the year) or a spot opens up in the top 6.

matt read who has really impressed alot of people in camp is a college player so im expecting schenn to get another solid look around december when his experience playing a longer season wil come into play.

magic 8ball says "needs a little seasoning, ask again later"

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:53 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Agreed. Schenn looked very good when I watched. He makes nice passes, has good vision and he'll score eventually too. He's pretty solid physically and his skating etc. is all NHL calibre too.

That was a great pass vs. Toronto too, and he made a few others that game.

He's going to be a gem, and he's already good enough to play.
All this is true. the biggest hangup, in my opinion, is his pricetag/caphit. Having watched him come up through junior (Brandon Wheat Kings represent!) i hope to see him with the flyers, just not sure if he is the best option THIS year.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:03 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

One of those players that could be considered “on the bubble” is forward Brayden Schenn, who has been out of the lineup due to an upper-body injury. Despite his lack of practice or game time with the team, Flyers management doesn’t see that as a deterrent on their evaluation of Schenn.

“We know what he’s done, we know what he’s capable of doing,” said Flyers GM Paul Holmgren. “I think more for Brayden’s own confidence it would’ve been nice to get in another game or two. I don’t think it really matters to us.”

When asked if he thinks the 20-year-old is ready for a full season in the NHL, Holmgren’s answer was simple.

“I believe he is.”

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=64095

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 06:48 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Schenn = AHL

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Lol. I think lavy already has him pencilled into the team. People keep saying that couturier has outplayed him, I don't believe he has, and he had a few more games than him too

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:19 AM
intylerwetrust
Space Oddity

any chance Schenn plays wing with Giroux or Briere, or most likely 3rd line centre?

intylerwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:37 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by intylerwetrust View Post
any chance Schenn plays wing with Giroux or Briere, or most likely 3rd line centre?
I would say that there's almost no chance...

JVR-Giroux-Jagr is almost 100% penciled in as the 1st line

The second line is almost 100% Hartnell-Briere-Voracek...
Voracek just doesn't have the defensive abilities to play a stopper role on the 3rd line

That leaves a third line of Read-?????-Simmonds

The ???? has to be Schenn or Couturier and IMO it should be Couturier.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:58 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
One of those players that could be considered “on the bubble” is forward Brayden Schenn, who has been out of the lineup due to an upper-body injury. Despite his lack of practice or game time with the team, Flyers management doesn’t see that as a deterrent on their evaluation of Schenn.

“We know what he’s done, we know what he’s capable of doing,” said Flyers GM Paul Holmgren. “I think more for Brayden’s own confidence it would’ve been nice to get in another game or two. I don’t think it really matters to us.”

When asked if he thinks the 20-year-old is ready for a full season in the NHL, Holmgren’s answer was simple.

“I believe he is.”

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=64095
Of course "ready" doesn't mean "yes." I'm on the same page as you, I think he'll be sent down to the AHL to start the season and will come up for injuries.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:10 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think the deal with Schenn is what I have been saying all along and Homer echoed in that interview. He didn't need to come in and WOW everyone like Read or even Couturier did. They know what he can do, he just had to play like he can play, which, aside from the injury he did. He didn't look amazing by any means, but he certainly didn't look out of place, and that's all he had to show to make the team. I'm fairly confident that he'll be on the team on opening day, unless this injury keeps him off. I could also seem them just sending him down for the first 9 games as sort of a rehab stint and allow Couturier to play those games, then send Couturier back to juniors and call up Schenn. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote