HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundquist

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Just to add my worthless 2 cents about Lundqvist....After what he did in the SEL and the International stage the past few years, I expected (OK, maybe hoped for) nothing less despite many claims that he would have to "learn" the NA game (but the game has become more European) and the rinks.. I can't remember how may prospect goaltenders that wer ranked above him, but it seemed absurd to me...Anyway, boy is this kid going to have the Fans eating out of the palm of his hands...he has everything, the skill, the poise, the attitude, the looks...No problem with Weekes reagining the #1 spot when he comes back from injury but it woun't be long before Lundqvist grabs it and keeps it fot the next 5-6 years..And Alvaro Montoya will make a wonderful trading chip....
I agree with everything you've said here. Like JD has added, ad nauseam i should say - He's a Rock Star!

Old
10-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
We're two games into his NHL career and we already getting carried away.

Is there no middle ground around here anymore? It's all or nothing.
I still have some questionmarks about how good he will become. No doubt top 20 in the league, I've said that for a long time. I am 100% sure of that. After seeing him gooing up against guys like Dunham, Gerber and Fernandez it was so obvious that he simply is better then them in basically all areas of the game. And they are border line starters in the NHL.

After seeing him against Theodore and Kipper its obvious that he in the European game is atleast as good, maybe a little bit better then them in Europe. But at this level the competition gets tough. So we will see. His game isn't perfect, he doesn't have a "magic" glove hand for example. He game along the ice is better then on high shots. He is still young though...

Old
10-17-2005, 05:28 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
I agree with everything you've said here. Like JD has added, ad nauseam i should say - He's a Rock Star!
LOL I don't think thats even true!

I've heard him talk about how he and 3 other playes on Frölunda tryed to play some a couple of times. I think its more a image thing from Henrik thats gotten blown out of proportions by JD....

Old
10-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
We're two games into his NHL career and we already getting carried away.
Technically, three games in - the "no decision" still counts as a game for rookie status purposes and such, does it not?

He has looked very good. Let's see how he looks after 20 games.

Old
10-17-2005, 07:48 PM
FanSince2014
What'd He Say?

With Lundqvist, Ranger fans don't miss LaBarbera, but no reason to be such haters.

LaBarbera seems to be doing as good in LA as Lundqvist is doing in NY.

3 games, 4 GA total (2, 1, 1) and only one game where his Save% was below 95%.

I saw him play against Edmonton and he withstood a barrage of shots from the Oilers and he performed spectacularly. He didn't give up any goals in that flurry of shots.

LaBarbera's weakness seemed to be his stick side, a couple teams exploited it and scored.
In his last game against Columbus they tried to exploit it too but it didn't work. Guess he's been working on covering that better.

I heard the Kings feel very confident with him back there.
They're wondering why anyone would let him go.

Last edited by FanSince2014: 10-17-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old
10-17-2005, 08:08 PM
Edge

In the history of the NHL many many goalies have looked good for an entire season let alone less than 5 games.

I like Labs but I just don't see it over the long haul. Lunqvist is certainly a possibility but I can't look at a kid three games into his NHL career and call him the best swedish goalie ever and a future top 20 goalie. A lot of things happen in this sport.

Kloucek for 40 games looked like he was gonna be a rock on the Rangers blueline for 15 years.

Old
10-17-2005, 09:09 PM
slumpy43

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2005101713

NY Rangers 4, Florida 0; Lundqvist 23 saves.

Bring back Kevin Weekes!

Old
10-17-2005, 09:22 PM
Edge

Great start. It's VERY nice to see.

Old
10-18-2005, 12:39 AM
SSK-Peter

Weekes might forever regret that he got injured.
Lundqvist is the most consistent goalie I have ever seen play, I don’t think he has had one slump in the last two seasons in SEL. Congratulations Rangers!

Old
10-18-2005, 12:42 AM
nyr5186

Speaking of Weekes, when is he due back?

Old
10-18-2005, 12:51 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Edge, you're a ray of sunshine, do you know that?

Old
10-18-2005, 02:12 AM
KRM

Great Henke!

Old
10-18-2005, 03:31 AM
TexMurphy

<-- NHL Forwards

<-- NHL Coaches

<-- Rangers Fans

<-- Henke

Old
10-18-2005, 05:31 AM
Ola

Lunqvist numbers are henke-like right now. BTW if he gets to play against the Islanders and a few more game he could challenge for the rookie of the month award. Especially if he leads the league in GAA and SV% after it...

Gaa: 1.23
Pct: 0.950

Old
10-18-2005, 06:45 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMurphy
<-- NHL Forwards

<-- NHL Coaches

<-- Rangers Fans

<-- Henke
ROFL

Old
10-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
Edge, you're a ray of sunshine, do you know that?
Nah, I'm excited I just think we can't get carried away. Just like I'll comment when someone is ready to declare the season over after 120 minutes of hockey, I'm not gonna erase 7 years of mis-management in only 7 games.

Does Lunqvist have a ton of talent and the ability to be a top goalie, yes.

But we need patience and we need to not raise or rush expectations too fast. He's off to a great start, but he's still just three games into his career. Goalies are like pitchers, at some point shooters figure out tricks against them and the challange becomes altering your style a little. Three games in that isn't a problem, but it is a situation that is going to come up. If teams no he can't glove rebounds they'll work on exploiting that, he's still got work to do. That's not a knock but we really have to not get ahead of ourselves.

Old
10-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Nacho
Special

Quote:
Nah, I'm excited I just think we can't get carried away. Just like I'll comment when someone is ready to declare the season over after 120 minutes of hockey, I'm not gonna erase 7 years of mis-management in only 7 games.

Does Lunqvist have a ton of talent and the ability to be a top goalie, yes.

But we need patience and we need to not raise or rush expectations too fast. He's off to a great start, but he's still just three games into his career. Goalies are like pitchers, at some point shooters figure out tricks against them and the challange becomes altering your style a little. Three games in that isn't a problem, but it is a situation that is going to come up. If teams no he can't glove rebounds they'll work on exploiting that, he's still got work to do. That's not a knock but we really have to not get ahead of ourselves.
Lundqvist has been a top goalie the last 5 years... The Swedish league isn't peewee hockey...

Old
10-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
Lundqvist has been a top goalie the last 5 years... The Swedish league isn't peewee hockey...
Really? No kidding, I thought he was playing in a Swedish beer league!

Top goalie or not, let's not get ahead of ourself.

I've never seen these boards as reactionary as they've become the last few months. It's like everyone is on speed.

Old
10-18-2005, 03:39 PM
An Ape called Yoko

Quote:
Really? No kidding, I thought he was playing in a Swedish beer league!

Top goalie or not, let's not get ahead of ourself.

I've never seen these boards as reactionary as they've become the last few months. It's like everyone is on speed.
I think it has to do with the fact that Henke has been underrated for such a looooong time here. Its been all about Lehtonen, Fleury etc although Henke is right up there with them. I think he is proving it now.

Old
10-18-2005, 03:57 PM
BringBackNeilSmith

If I'm Ranger management, this is an interesting quandary. Not the worst kind of a fix to be in, but a quandary nonetheless. Weekes is a little bit more of a known NHL quantity and is here, I'd think, with certain expectations. Lundqvist is assuredly viewed as a guy with a lot more potential upside, but it really has been only a few games and his shots against haven't been especially high quantity or quality for the most part. I think he looks terrific so far. I also think within reason that you ride the hot hand. I also think it's unreasonable to look to a guy in his first NHL season to play more than 40-50 games. Finally, I think you need both these guys to be motivated and playing well from here to season's end... so as much hope and expectation as it looks like we may be able to put on Lundqvist's shoulders, the coronation really can wait a little bit yet. I'd prefer for Weekes to feel like it's still his to lose for awhile longer; it'll keep the competitive edge a little keener. Best thing, really, would be if Weekes were ready to go at the Island to get a little distance from Henrikmania just in case he's a bit less than perfect, then come back with Lundqvist at the Garden. Look, if the difference between them is and remains significant, it'll all come out in the wash within a few weeks. Hey, I'm just glad he looks this good. If nothing else, we'll be able to get a hell of a lot for Montoya in a year or two when Henrik's ready to play 60 and we can afford to go with a lesser entity as backup...

Old
10-18-2005, 04:15 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackNeilSmith
If I'm Ranger management, this is an interesting quandary. Not the worst kind of a fix to be in, but a quandary nonetheless. Weekes is a little bit more of a known NHL quantity and is here, I'd think, with certain expectations. Lundqvist is assuredly viewed as a guy with a lot more potential upside, but it really has been only a few games and his shots against haven't been especially high quantity or quality for the most part. I think he looks terrific so far. I also think within reason that you ride the hot hand. I also think it's unreasonable to look to a guy in his first NHL season to play more than 40-50 games. Finally, I think you need both these guys to be motivated and playing well from here to season's end... so as much hope and expectation as it looks like we may be able to put on Lundqvist's shoulders, the coronation really can wait a little bit yet. I'd prefer for Weekes to feel like it's still his to lose for awhile longer; it'll keep the competitive edge a little keener. Best thing, really, would be if Weekes were ready to go at the Island to get a little distance from Henrikmania just in case he's a bit less than perfect, then come back with Lundqvist at the Garden. Look, if the difference between them is and remains significant, it'll all come out in the wash within a few weeks. Hey, I'm just glad he looks this good. If nothing else, we'll be able to get a hell of a lot for Montoya in a year or two when Henrik's ready to play 60 and we can afford to go with a lesser entity as backup...

What quandry? Looks like you solved it Neal. Good post.

Closed Thread