HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PSG6: BUF @ WAS, 9/30/11, 7pm.

Old
09-30-2011, 09:37 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
What lines are the Caps rolling tonight?

Who's with Ovie and Backstrom?
MoJo and Brouwer are with AO..though Backstrom was reunited with AO late in the 3rd. I definitely dig MoJo on the 1st line. Speed killz and a little more north/south.

09-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMrules View Post
I'd like to see em throw eakin and hendricks out in the SO
And make Beagle the 3rd.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:42 PM
MoJoSauce

Quote:
I'd like to see em throw eakin and hendricks out in the SO
Got both, altough they didnt do much. Both Alex's with the backhand over Miller

MoJoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

end it.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

nice, even if its a pre season.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Backstrom wins it after Vokoun stops the very last Buffalo chance.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EroCaps

Ovechkin back, the new guys looking good... officially geeked for hockey to start.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:46 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Ovechkin back, the new guys looking good... officially geeked for hockey to start.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:50 PM
MoJoSauce

I really liked the chemistry on the Semin-Backstrom-Laich line, they seemed to be pushing it. And we definitely need Wideman on the PP point

MoJoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:52 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
I really liked the chemistry on the Semin-Backstrom-Laich line, they seemed to be pushing it. And we definitely need Wideman on the PP point
Green had 2 pts tonight. If they can get their PP back from prior to last season there's no reason to keep him off the point with that shot.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Lebanese Leaf

What do you guys expect from Brouwer this year?

Last edited by Lebanese Leaf: 09-30-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:13 PM
txpd

brouwer? to be good. provide leadership and a spark. toss in some offense.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Brave Sir Robin

I've only watched the first 2 periods, but here's are a few thoughts:

1. Ovi - MaJo - Brouwer did not work. They frequently got trapped in their own zone, and Johansson wasn't creating much for Ovi.

2. Halpern looked like a big upgrade over Gordon. As a who the 4th line looked great - strong forecheck, good puck possession. If only Beagle knew how to put pucks in the net.

3. To me the 3rd line was by far the worst. Eakin was useless. He lost pretty much all faceoffs, and really did not contribute anything offensively. Ward was sluggish. If it wasn't for Chimera, the line would be a disaster.

4. 2nd line looked dangerous, although a bit out of sync.

5. Defense looked like it did 2009-2010. Too many turnovers in our zone(a couple really bad ones), constant trouble clearing the puck.

6. PP wasn't very effective, but at least there was more movement.

7. PK looked great. Perhaps the best element of our game.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:27 PM
um

its so weird that the caps have 3 pretty even defensive pairings, i cant really think of any past examples. also id like to see green on the 1st PP unit more use wideman and hamrlik on the second pairing

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 07:51 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
also id like to see green on the 1st PP unit more use wideman and hamrlik on the second pairing
its pre season

Old
10-01-2011, 01:27 PM
BPMrules

It's pretty obvious after last night that Eakin probably isn't making the leap to the NHL this year, at least not on a full time basis. I'd imagine he'll see some time up here this year, cause he could probably be a spark plug in limited action.

Wideman on the point on the PP should be a constant, even if he is on the second unit behind Green. He can get shots through, and is good at being the Quarterback out there. Our PP looked way better than it has in recent memory last night. Good passing, getting shots on net, and creating traffic. Blowing the 5 on 3 oppurtunity was a bit of a bummer, we should really be getting at least a goal on those.

the 4th line looked awesome. I really like the re-acquisition of Halpern, he's great on faceoffs and reading the play on the ice. Hendricks also looked like our best player in my eyes, being physical, getting the puck on net when he had the chances, and hitting everything. Glad to see he got a goal, hopefully that happens a bit more.

was kind of disappointed in OV's play last night, at times it seemed like he was trying to do too much cause the guys around him weren't helping out too much(MaJo). Brouwer looked good out there with him, knocking everyone around, and helping OV get some chances, but overall the 1st line wasn't very effective.

The PK continues to be the best part of our game.

I really want to get Behind Vokoun as the starter, but he seems a little shaky. I'm sure that after the first few games of the reg season i'll be sold.

BPMrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:37 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Wideman on the point on the PP should be a constant, even if he is on the second unit

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Millhaus

Really you don't like Wideman on the PP point?

I think he is easily the best PP QB they have. Sure he isn't the one man controlled entry that Green is and he doesn't have Green's shooting accuracy or Ovechkin's cannon from the point but he is a natural PP QB and neither of those guys are IMO. He just moves the puck so much quicker and more intelligently than those other 2 do. When he does shoot he almost always gets it through and he is very good at getting the PKers moving by carrying the puck and changing the angles of things when everyone starts standing around.

Wideman makes a much better Markov to Ovechkin's Souray than Green does IMO. Those 3 in an umbrella with whoever else might be the basis for their best unit...

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:05 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I'm laughing at the mention of a second pp unit. I love Wideman on the point, but we won't see it regularly.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:15 PM
txpd

like wideman on the point? sure. like him better than green? no. like him on the power play better than semin? probably not.

i think what we will largely see is a primary pp unit of semin-backstrom and one of laich, brouwer or knuble up front and ovechkin and green on the points. there will be a second unit of ovechkin-johansson another of the 3rd forwards mentioned above with wideman and green or hamrlik on the points.

i dont see wideman keeping green on the bench with the main group though.

Old
10-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Millhaus

If Ovechkin and Green are the first unit point men then they both need to learn to move the puck much quicker and also not just bury their heads and shoot into the PKer's shin pads over and over. They don't get the time and space anymore and they have yet to adjust and I have my doubts whether they will be able to.

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Play both Wideman and Green equally on the point. Keep them fresh. No reason to have the points remain constant if you get a chance to change. We don't have to have them chasing pucks constantly if we have other options that are just as effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
3. To me the 3rd line was by far the worst. Eakin was useless. He lost pretty much all faceoffs, and really did not contribute anything offensively. Ward was sluggish. If it wasn't for Chimera, the line would be a disaster.
Could not disagree more (aside of the faceoffs). Eakin was quick and tenacious, and most importantly, was excellent at reading the play. He's still small, so winning physical battles was tough for him, but he's smart enough to pick his spots and reads the play well enough to be in the right place at the right time. And he was really aggressive with his stick checks, which was good at disrupting the Sabres.
Ward was easily one of our best players. His forechecking was great, and his cycle game was very effective. Top notch work ethic and great on the boards. In general, that whole line was probably our best.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 11:16 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 545
What are you guys expecting point/performance wise from Johansson? I see he's still lining up with Ovy regularly, just curious if he is in a situation to post some good totals this season.

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
What are you guys expecting point/performance wise from Johansson? I see he's still lining up with Ovy regularly, just curious if he is in a situation to post some good totals this season.
Literally the worst player on the worst team to try to peg. Could be lining up with Ovechkin, could be lining up with Chimera. Could have an excellent season, could have a sophomore slump. Could play on an offensive minded team again, could be on the biggest trapfest since Minnesota.

Probably a lock for 15 g, 35 points, at most maybe 25g 60p.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:52 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
Use the fantasy thread, bro.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote