HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Leigton waived [cleared, sent to AHL]

Old
09-30-2011, 04:55 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I don't hate Leighton. I hate seeing Leighton in net for the Flyers during important games.....or any games actually.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:30 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_28 View Post
It's needed to balance out the Leighton lovers.

Let me explain. I believe that objectively Leighton should neither be loved nor hated. He was thrown into the situation by management in 2010, he didn't ask for it. He played solid for the most part of the playoffs considering his limited talent. I don't think he won anything for the flyers but at least he didn't lose anything too important either. For that stretch fans should respect him.

Then came the finals (a.k.a. "when they needed him most") and he **** the bed. It's been widely accepted that with an adequate goalie the flyers likely would have won. Also, every fan will forever have the image of the deciding goal in their memory and it's not flattering for Leighton.

Then he kept his injury a secret to get a contract. Maybe he really didn't think the injury would be a problem, more likely he wanted to have the only payday he could ever hope for.

So, in short, some positives, more negatives but for the most part he is not to blame. He performed like you would expect a player of his caliber to perform. It was management who wanted us to believe that he is anything more than average AHL talent.

And yet there are still people claiming that Leighton single-handedly led the flyers to the cup finals and that losing it wasn't his fault but a "team effort". To balance that out, people tend to "hate" Leighton instead of being merely critical of him.

I don't hate Leighton, but boy, am I glad that he is gone.
Let me start this off by saying I'll be ecstatic if I never seen Michael Leighton in a Flyers jersey ever again.

That said, while the lasting image of him letting in "that goal" is obviously going to color how the fan base views him for eternity, it really isn't that fair. Without Leighton's regular season heroics, we don't even make the playoffs that year, and that's something that is very easily overlooked given how painful he was to watch in the finals.

Also, as someone who has suffered from herniated discs I've defended him before on the injury front. It is completely possible he didn't think he was even injured. Discs are very tricky. I've never had to have surgery, but I've gone a month where I could barely walk and yet was able to play ice hockey half a year later and then I'll tweak it doing nothing more than sitting in an uncomfortable chair and be in a fair bit of pain for a few days. It's not like breaking bones or tearing ligaments.

Now, please don't confuse me for a Leighton-lover. I'm just trying to stake out the neutral position.

Last edited by mja: 09-30-2011 at 07:06 AM.
mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Let me start this off by saying I'll be ecstatic if I never seen Michael Leighton in a Flyers jersey ever again.

That said, while the lasting image of him letting in "that goal" is obviously going to color how the fan base views him for eternity, it really isn't that fair. Without Leighton's regular season heroics, we don't even make the playoffs that year, and that's something that is very easily overlooked given how painful he was to watch in the finals.

Also, as someone who has suffered from herniated discs I've defended him before on the injury front. It is completely possible he didn't think he was even injured. Discs are very tricky. I've never had to have surgery, but I've gone a month where I could barely walk and yet was able to play ice hockey half a year later and then I'll tweak it doing nothing more than sitting in an uncomfortable chair and be in a fair bit of pain for a few days. It's not like breaking bones or tearing ligaments.

Now, please don't confuse me for a Leighton-lover. I'm just trying to stake out the neutral position.
I agree. Leighton played great for the Flyers after he arrived, or they wouldn't have made the playoffs. People who waste time hating him need to get lives. He actually looked really good in the exgame vs. Detroit last week too.

I hope someone picks him up to be a backup, he's good enough to be an NHL backup goalie, just not a starter on a great team.

I don't blame him for the back thing at all. He told them his back was stiff upon exit, but he didn't have real problems until he started working out in the summer. As you say, backs are tricky.

Good luck to him, whether as a Phantom or elsewhere.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Leighton is actually the perfect 4A goaltender. He's not good enough to be in the NHL (his SV% and GAA are in the bottom third of the league since the lockout among those who have played at least 60 games, that is easily replaceable, especially for far less money), and too good to be in the AHL. The KHL would actually be a perfect scenario.

He's cleared waivers, so no one thought he was better than what they already have. He will go to the Phantoms, and give them what they really need, which is a chance to win every night.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:41 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
hopefully Matt Walker isnt far behind this weekend

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
This will be a boost for the Phantoms.

09-30-2011, 01:39 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 50
Great for the Organization and especially for the development of our prospects down on the farm. As Beef mentioned the Phantoms have the opportunity to win any night now through their goaltending depth. That type of confidence carries over to player development. You also factor in the current state of the Flyers, the opportunity to crack the line-up and the shift to youth and speed, all of a sudden the Phantoms are looking pretty hungry, pretty competitive and pretty damn good.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:57 PM
stuccoman

Yea It would be good to see the Phantoms play well again. I'll be checking their boxscores as there are a few players I am going to want to keep tabs on.

stuccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:20 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Unsurprising that he wasn't claimed.

There was always a small glimmer of hope...

09-30-2011, 02:22 PM
DUHockey9

And thus begins the fear that he will be re-called...

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
And thus begins the fear that he will be re-called...
Last season, that was always a fear...that we were a few terrible games away from that. This year, I'm confident we won't need to worry about it.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:33 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
I don't get the Leighton hate. He helped get this team to a Cup final by playing way over his head when they needed it most.
What playoffs did you watch? Go look at the goals he let in. He should have saved %90 of those ones. He had some good saves here and there but the ones that went in should have never went in.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
What playoffs did you watch? Go look at the goals he let in. He should have saved %90 of those ones. He had some good saves here and there but the ones that went in should have never went in.
I watched the playoffs where Leighton returned to backup duty after a couple months off with a sprained ankle, got thrown into a must game to relieve Boosh, won, then presided over the greatest comeback in NHL history. Then he pitched three shutouts against Montreal in the semi-finals.

He didn't look that good in the finals, but he got the team there which is more than could be said for 28 other goalies that year....

He gets way too much hate for not winning it all, and it would've been a true Cinderella story if he had. That's why they are called 'fairy tales'..... they don't happen in real life very much.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

If we don't get Gagne back and Boston doesn't lose Krecji, I highly doubt that they have that comeback. Let's not forget that Leighton very nearly lost us that game 7 with some bad goals in the first period. The team dragged Leighton along, not the other way around.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:56 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Unsurprising that he wasn't claimed.

There was always a small glimmer of hope...
Nothing wrong with him going unclaimed since he will be a valuable part of the phantoms. With significant inexperience on their blue line it will be good for them to have one of the best goalies in the ahl. And, I know there is a lot of hate for leighton, but most teams would be quite happy to have him as their emergency call up option.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:59 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Nothing wrong with him going unclaimed since he will be a valuable part of the phantoms. With significant inexperience on their blue line it will be good for them to have one of the best goalies in the ahl. And, I know there is a lot of hate for leighton, but most teams would be quite happy to have him as their emergency call up option.
Unless both Bryz and Bob are out injured, it's most likely Bacashiuahua who will be called up. We signed him since both Leighton and Backlund needs to clear re-call waivers.

I agree that it's good for the Phantoms that he cleared to go down, however.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:52 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Unless both Bryz and Bob are out injured, it's most likely Bacashiuahua who will be called up. We signed him since both Leighton and Backlund needs to clear re-call waivers.

I agree that it's good for the Phantoms that he cleared to go down, however.
I believe that Cash also would need to clear waivers to be recalled, not on an emergency basis. He was drafted only 2 years after Leighton and has played in 38 NHL games.

Old
09-30-2011, 04:57 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I watched the playoffs where Leighton returned to backup duty after a couple months off with a sprained ankle, got thrown into a must game to relieve Boosh, won, then presided over the greatest comeback in NHL history. Then he pitched three shutouts against Montreal in the semi-finals.

He didn't look that good in the finals, but he got the team there which is more than could be said for 28 other goalies that year....

He gets way too much hate for not winning it all, and it would've been a true Cinderella story if he had. That's why they are called 'fairy tales'..... they don't happen in real life very much.
Defense wins championships. Michael Leighton does not win championships.

The defense is what took us to the Finals. Michael Leighton is the guy who blew it for us in the Finals.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:25 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I believe that Cash also would need to clear waivers to be recalled, not on an emergency basis. He was drafted only 2 years after Leighton and has played in 38 NHL games.
I will never become a CBA expert, but if I got this right it's this part about who is subject to reentry waivers that ****s it up for Leighton and Backlund, but allows for Bacashihua to slip through:

Quote:
Skaters who have played 320 or more professional games in North America (NHL, AHL, or ECHL) or goalies who have played 180 or more professional games in North America (NHL, AHL, or ECHL) and (a) who have not been on an NHL roster for 80 or more games over the last two seasons or (b) who have not spent more than 40 games on an NHL roster in the immediately prior season, are exempt from recall waivers.

Old
09-30-2011, 06:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I thought you had to be making like $105K in the AHL to be eligible for re-entry waivers.

Old
09-30-2011, 06:28 PM
mirimon

Bacashihua has an AHL salary of 125k

Old
09-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
hopefully Matt Walker isnt far behind this weekend
The way he is playing right now they cannot send him down. If he was not making 1.7 it would be a no brainer. He does not even look like the same player from last year. I call it like I see it.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Bacashihua has an AHL salary of 125k
What the hell? That made it pointless to sign him then. I figured he was signed in order to have a goaltender who was on a two-way contract and didn't need to pass re-entry waivers.

Last edited by GKJ: 10-01-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old
10-01-2011, 07:57 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
What the hell? That made it pointless to sign him then. I figured he was signed in order to have a goaltender who was on a two-way contract and didn't need to pass waivers.
Signed to have 2 good Ahl goalies in glans falls? Agreed it doesn't make much sense though. Consider that the chances were likely that Leighton was going to clear waivers, he could have carried much of the load for 50-60 games and they already have Backlund under contract. It does make the Cash signing a bit odd, unless they plan jon loaning Backlund to a team in Europe.

Old
10-01-2011, 11:46 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
The way he is playing right now they cannot send him down. If he was not making 1.7 it would be a no brainer. He does not even look like the same player from last year. I call it like I see it.
The only way they could keep him at that price is if Schenn starts the year in the A.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote