HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Taylor Fedun Hurt on Delayed Icing Play *UPDATE: Doing Well 1 Year Later*

Old
09-30-2011, 10:27 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 500
Hey, does the fact he suffered the injury during an NHL game mean he'll collect an NGL salary for the full year? I recall that one of the Sweatt brothers had this happen to him last season and he ended up just retiring off the proceeds. Do you think Fedun catches this kind of break? I sure hope so. Hate to see this happen to a good old Fort boy.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
Hey, does the fact he suffered the injury during an NHL game mean he'll collect an NGL salary for the full year? I recall that one of the Sweatt brothers had this happen to him last season and he ended up just retiring off the proceeds. Do you think Fedun catches this kind of break? I sure hope so. Hate to see this happen to a good old Fort boy.
I hope the Oilers org gives him something even if they don't have to.

I feel awful for the kid though, a multi-million dollar career for him might have just been snatched away.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:30 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Control your stick. Control your body. Stay away from any contact on Icing(s).

This is what pro's should be expected to do at ALL times.

When they don't/can't...they should be suspended....with extreme prejudice anytime serious injuries result like this.

Its just so damned lazy/callous and bushleague for Nystrom to do what he did.

The other thing is....Fedun has zero experience on touch icing...and the reason being.....

....Touch icing is a stupid & needless rule which MANY hockey leagues around the world do not utilize for obvious reasons.
With all due respect, it's not bush league. It's what every player on every team (minus the goalies) has done many times each season. The fact that the NHL refuses to change the rule is the sickening part of it.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Hockey Nightmare
The Nuge is Huge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
:

It's a rule that needs to be taken out. No touch icing is fine.
Who the living **** is steve pollett?

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:34 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

The NHL is so full of **** sometimes,
for example, they blame the players for everything..yet they promote it the exact opposite of what theyre preaching to the players..
Theyre handing out large suspensions, but at the same time they promote the game using violence as a key promotion tool..and at the same time they have never cared to look at players shoulder pads..if Im in the NHL of course am I gonna wear those cement shoulder pads cuz if I dont always finish my hits because Im not wearing steel armor, I will get benched by my coach..
Same thing with this Icing rule..so retarded...like another poster mentioned, Foster almost lost his life because of stupid icing..here a very promising defender for the Oilers who at the very least wouldve had a very successful minor league career may never play pro hockey again..
I honestly feel for the guy, hope he recovers..but the NHL needs to step in before more players get hurt this way..I dont care that this hockey season is pretty much underway already..put that no touch rule in..
I dont find it evern exciting to see a player win an icing call..it just freaks the crap out of me when I see two players flying into the boards like that..

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Southern Oil

Everyone's probably seen it by now, but complex fracture of right femur - confirmed by Oilers via Twitter. Sad, really sad.

Southern Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
With all due respect, it's not bush league. It's what every player on every team (minus the goalies) has done many times each season. The fact that the NHL refuses to change the rule is the sickening part of it.
Yes. Your right. It is the rule itself which creates these situations.

I mean...its easy for me to sit here and say these guys should know better....but....they don't and I guess its just too tempting to get your stick in there or put a hand on a guy. These players play at high speed at all times and they maybe forget how dangerous it is to interefere with another players feet and/or balance when he's not expecting it.

Im just like everyone else...I HATE the rule. Its NOT exciting to watch 99% of icing plays.

The occasional good foot race isn't worth the injuries. Not even close.

And the thing is...the entire game could improve in terms of flow and creativity if they go back to the conventional rule.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Fedun should sue the NHL for negligence on this

Insta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:38 PM
oilers92

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
no one goes in with there stick at the players feet on a play they know they can't win like that they might put it by the player but to box him in with stick and the body on an icing is just ridiculous and unnecessary on a preseason game

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
While what happened is horrible, Nystrom clearly didn't intend to throw a hit or hurt Fedun - he looks like he's just trying to reach around to play the puck and negate the icing.
He was careless with his stick going at top speed into the end boards, this injury could end this guys career or at the very least derail it significantly.

Quote:

When they don't/can't...they should be suspended....with extreme prejudice anytime serious injuries result like this.

The other thing is....Fedun has zero experience on touch icing...and the reason being.....

....Touch icing is a stupid & needless rule which MANY hockey leagues around the world do not utilize for obvious reasons.
Agreed, very careless and dangerous play by Nystrom he was clearly beaten on the play and had no ****ing business making a lazy attempt to touch the puck,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take the Shot View Post
Who the living **** is steve pollett?
Better yet, who ****ing cares? Hopefully he crawls back into the hole that he was in before he decided to post on twitter acting as if he knows the ins and outs of the game better than a pro athlete does.

09-30-2011, 10:39 PM
tiger_80

Quote:

What i was thinking. Big part of development is learning to protect oneself in such situations. Sad day. Not even our prospect got injured, but because that kid's dream may have died on that no icing call.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Shizuka

I realize Nystrom didn't 'intend' to hurt him, but he was negligent. There should be some sort of suspension just based on his stupidity. On another note....someone on the Oilers staff better shut down Hall before it gets completely out of hand. This is why it's better not to allow the players twitter accounts...you can't expect people to moderate themselves, let alone million dollar athletes who have to deal with people trying to bait them. Oilers PR...if you are reading this, you had better get out in front of this one.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Southern Oil

For all the talk about head shots and protecting the players, this is such a simple change. One that would protect players from potentially career ending injuries. I just don't get why they don't switch the rule. How many times is a guy beat to the puck on an icing and even then, how many times does that lead to a goal.

Southern Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers92 View Post
no one goes in with there stick at the players feet on a play they know they can't win like that they might put it by the player but to box him in with stick and the body on an icing is just ridiculous and unnecessary on a preseason game
Bingo, if you had posted this a little quicker I wouldn't have just typed the exact same thing in my post below yours. It was a lazy and very dangerous play. May another player give as much of a **** about his well being in a similarly defenseless situation, maybe after awhile some of these kinds of d-bags will weed themselves out.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Johnny Bravo
Avi until he's fired

Way to go hall you tell those losers

Johnny Bravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:42 PM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

This is a very dangerous and can be a life threatening injury. A complex fracture....sounds very serious. The definition of a complex fracture is as follows "a closed fracture in which the soft tissue surrounding the bone is severely damaged."

OilChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Cam98

wow reading what bums on twitter commenting towards hall is a joke lol...

all the best for fedun, i hope he has a full recovery and plays in nhl in future, he looked real promising.

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
What i was thinking. Big part of development is learning to protect oneself in such situations. Sad day. Not even our prospect got injured, but because that kid's dream may have died on that no icing call.
What could he have really done differently? Had he slowed up and waited for contact he could've been driven head first into the boards or perhaps the stick comes in then and he still goes ass over tea kettle, the bottom line is that many times in life you have to put some faith in someone that you won't get hurt by them, you hope that others will look after your safety and well being like you would for them.

Old
Johnny Bravo
Avi until he's fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
wow reading what bums on twitter commenting towards hall is a joke lol...

all the best for fedun, i hope he has a full recovery and plays in nhl in future, he looked real promising.
Word, those guys are such losers

Johnny Bravo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
His professional contract is insured. Who knows what the terms are.

Hopefully it won't matter and the young man will get to continue pursuing his dream once he recovers. It won't be for a long time though. Probably 2 years before he'll get another chance at the NHL.

Kurtis Foster and Robyn Regehr have been able to recover from similar injuries.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

http://membrane.com/aona/longbone/fracture.html

Fedun has type C.

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Hemsky4PM

Just an aside.

Kevin Lowe has been on the fence about no touch icing for a long time.

It would be a good move for him to come out agressively for changing the rule now.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:51 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
Oh **** that isn't good. I hope Nystrom gets 15 games. This **** has to stop, don't be a ****ing MORON and stick your stick in a guys feet. It's not ****ING rocket science.

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery/a full recovery.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

I don't usually give much attention to trolls, but Hall has just ***** slapped some trolls on twitter. Seriously as long as people can be anonymous or have the law protect them from ass kickings you will have scum like this trying to stir the pot because they don't have the balls to pull it off in their day to day lives. ****ing cowards.

Old
09-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
Man, I hope that it isn't THAT many loose pieces of bone in there, B looks bad enough, C looks like a train wreck.

**** you Nystrom, you POS.