HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Taylor Fedun Hurt on Delayed Icing Play *UPDATE: Doing Well 1 Year Later*

Old
10-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagHead View Post
Calm down, man.

I've thought about it plenty. There was no rule broken. Nystrom beat him to the icing. It was all stick. There's nothing suspendable (is that a word?) there.

Jesus, sorry for empathizing with you.

Also, thanks for glazing over my point that no touch icing should have been instituted 3 years ago.
Did you quote the right post?

10-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Baronsfan

Terrible thing to happen to a great kid. He was gonna play a vital role in OKC this season too. Pray that he can make a full recovery and return to the same level of play.

I don't think its fair to blame Nystrom at all. when something like this happens its easy to point the finger, but in this case its just an instance of wrong place wrong time.It was just an unfortunate event that happened that ended up really derailing a solid players future. Every set back is just a set up for a comeback, so I hope the kid can get healed up and get another chance that he very much deserves.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Nystrom puts his stick in front of Fedun thinking he can beat out the icing and Fedun steps on his stick and what happens after that I'd like it to be erased from my memory. Completely moronic play? Yes, obviously. Suspension worthy? Probably not. The fact that he never made contact with him probably means no suspension. I really wouldn't mind if Nystrom got suspended though, it was a stupid thing to do and to ruin or at least partially destroy a young talent's career like that is devastating. I'll never forget how pissed I was at Mitchell for injuring Foster so I understand all the hate for Nystrom. I think Mitchell's play was slightly worse, however, as he completely shoved Foster into the boards whereas Fedun slipped on Nystrom's stick. All the best wishes for Fedun, of every Oiler defensemen this preseason, he stood out to me the most.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Nystrom puts his stick in front of Fedun thinking he can beat out the icing and Fedun steps on his stick and what happens after that I'd like it to be erased from my memory. Completely moronic play? Yes, obviously. Suspension worthy? Probably not. The fact that he never made contact with him probably means no suspension. I really wouldn't mind if Nystrom got suspended though, it was a stupid thing to do and to ruin or at least partially destroy a young talent's career like that is devastating. I'll never forget how pissed I was at Mitchell for injuring Foster so I understand all the hate for Nystrom. I think Mitchell's play was slightly worse, however, as he completely shoved Foster into the boards whereas Fedun slipped on Nystrom's stick. All the best wishes for Fedun, of every Oiler defensemen this preseason, he stood out to me the most.
Good point, because there's not way Nystrom should have to be responsible for his stick, right?

We get you had Foster, that's great, but don't come here and down play the fact that Nystrom's idiotic recklessness may have cost a young man his CAREER.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:43 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
I don't give a rat's ass about a suspension.

I want the god damn icing rule changed.

And I want a Fedun to walk again.

Last edited by Gret99zky: 10-01-2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: no filter?
Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:47 AM
OilNAmerica

I'm taking this off b/c of Jimmi

Last edited by OilNAmerica: 10-01-2011 at 01:14 AM.
OilNAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Other Little Mikey

It's just sickening that Taylor Fedun might have had his life's dream snatched away from him on a meaningless play in a meaningless game. Sure, he has his degree and that's great for the long term, but right now he's just a kid who wants to play hockey and almost accomplished doing it in the NHL. Imagine looking back your whole life and thinking "what if".

I hope he does get his NHL salary. He's signed for two years so at least that could give him time to come back. I really, really hope he's able to.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilNAmerica View Post
As someone who knows Eric Nystrom personally, and has been in contact with him since the incident, he feels worse than anyone. Nystrom is not a dirty player, he was playing within the rules, trying to beat out the icing call. He wishes that the rule would be changed to non-touch. Eric also told me that after the game, he swung by the ER to wish Taylor the best of luck, and also reiterated that it was tough to see Taylor in such rough shape. I know for a fact that Eric Nystrom wishes the best of luck for Taylor in his recovery, and feels terrible about an innocent play gone bad.
Then ask why he thought it was a good idea to stick his stick in Fedun's feet? I seriously want to know why he thought that was the right decision.

I don't care "how bad he feels", it's such a goddamned retarded play, it's ridiculous.

Old
10-01-2011, 12:52 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He was careless with his stick going at top speed into the end boards, this injury could end this guys career or at the very least derail it significantly.
Not going to argue against that, Nystrom should be in control of his stick. Doesn't mean he should be suspended or branded as malicious for it.

10-01-2011, 12:53 AM
oilWILDcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Then ask why he thought it was a good idea to stick his stick in Fedun's feet? I seriously want to know why he thought that was the right decision.

I don't care "how bad he feels", it's such a goddamned retarded play, it's ridiculous.
So many other players do it too, it just happened that this time was unfourtunate because Fedun tripped on it.

Get well soon Fedun

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilWILDcountry View Post
So many other players do it too, it just happened that this time was unfourtunate because Fedun tripped on it.

Get well soon Fedun
THAT IS NOT AN EXCUSE, because it doesn't make it less STUPID.

Seriously, ask him why he thought that was the right decision? Because I can't see anything other then it being a completely retarded play with utterly negative consequences.

Old
10-01-2011, 01:04 AM
OilNAmerica

Quote:

How many times does this play go unnoticed innocently throughout the course of a year....probably hundreds in Oilers games alone. The rule is the rule, that is certainly up for debate, but players trying to earn roster spots on their given teams should not be chastized for it. I'm sure if we go back and watch the other Oiler preseason games, we can find a few instances of Oilers trying to win the battle for the puck. Until the rule is changed, these things will continue to happen. I will continue to pray for Taylor and Nystrom after tonight.

OilNAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Cam98

Quote:
THAT IS NOT AN EXCUSE, because it doesn't make it less STUPID.

Seriously, ask him why he thought that was the right decision? Because I can't see anything other then it being a completely retarded play with utterly negative consequences.
I don't get why your getting so mad, he put his stick to try touch puck first, sure it was wrong spot but that's what happened... This happens all the time players trying to touch puck first putting there stick up their, and it gets in way. This was just a big freak accident.

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:06 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Suspension or not, I don't care. I just want Fedun to get better again and hopefully have another crack at it as early as next year.

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:10 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

I'm really not that worried about the possibility of a suspension.

This is one of those opportunities for the NHL to attack the root cause, and that the potential punishment for a player matters little in the long-term. The rule allows this sort of situation to exist, and there's not a lot of justification for the rule being the way it is given the risk, so the rule NEEDS to be changed.

I wouldn't be satisfied with a suspension. I'll only be satisfied with a rule change (a move to no-touch or the modified icing rule at the least).

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:21 AM
hockeyaddict101

I do not blame Nystrom, yes he was careless with his stick but obviously no intention to injure Fedun.

The NHL and the NHLPA should immediately change to the modified no-touch icing rule.

Here is to hoping that Fedun is able to recover and play again.

What a terrible injury, Sickening to have to watch it, never mind endure it.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:21 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
As hockey fans we need to email and twitter the hell out of the NHL...

BRING NO TOUCH ICING INTO THE NHL NOW!!!!
BEFORE A PLAYER DIES ON THE ICE.
DO IT.

I twittered that to Shanahan already and if enough fans and media drill that message to the NHL constantly they will have to eventually listen and do something about it.

We pay to watch hockey... not to watch dangerous plays that will eventually kill someone.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:27 AM
oilfaninvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
As hockey fans we need to email and twitter the hell out of the NHL...

BRING NO TOUCH ICING INTO THE NHL NOW!!!!
BEFORE A PLAYER DIES ON THE ICE.
DO IT.

I twittered that to Shanahan already and if enough fans and media drill that message to the NHL constantly they will have to eventually listen and do something about it.

We pay to watch hockey... not to watch dangerous plays that will eventually kill someone.
Unfortunately, it might take that (a player dying) to make the change. Hopefully not.

Don't forget, a mesh netting was put up above the glass only after a girl was hit in the face with a puck and i'm pretty sure she died (?).

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:36 AM
bellagiobob

Rule 81.1

"Any contact between opposing players while pursuing the puck on an icing must be for the sole purpose of playing the puck and not for eliminating the opponent from playing the puck. Unnecessary or dangerous contact could result in penalties being assessed to the offending player."

Open for debate. Could go either way. See what Shanny says. He didn't push him, but was reckless with his stick. That is a play you don't make 5 feet from the end boards in a pre season game.

bellagiobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:38 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
so since hes injured in nhl preseason does that mean his full contract is guaranteed at the nhl pay grade?

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1922

if he was given 1.8 million that would be a silver lining
I think that they won't be able to send him to the minors this season so he should recieve his full NHL contract this season, i'm not sure what happens for next season, I would think it would be the same situation as long as he has not recovered from the injury and been cleared tp play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
too bad you can't suspend stupidity. Nysrom had zero chance at getting to the puck first so he lazily pokes out his stick. Very dangerous, exactly what Iggy did to Souray.
Well you can suspend stupidity. Careless use of the stick can be suspendable, just like a reckless hit to the head can be.

The Iggy play was different, IIRC it was not an icing or offside play. THis one was therefore any contact is strictly forbidden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Imagine if we cut Fedun. Or if he was scheduled to play tomorrow. Man..
We can't cut him now, he has to go on LTIR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagHead View Post
Calm down, man.

I've thought about it plenty. There was no rule broken. Nystrom beat him to the icing. It was all stick. There's nothing suspendable (is that a word?) there.

Jesus, sorry for empathizing with you.

Also, thanks for glazing over my point that no touch icing should have been instituted 3 years ago.
You could call it tripping and or boarding, take your pick.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:40 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
Rule 81.1

"Any contact between opposing players while pursuing the puck on an icing must be for the sole purpose of playing the puck and not for eliminating the opponent from playing the puck. Unnecessary or dangerous contact could result in penalties being assessed to the offending player."

Open for debate. Could go either way. See what Shanny says. He didn't push him, but was reckless with his stick. That is a play you don't make 5 feet from the end boards in a pre season game.
It was both unecessary and dangerous. THis is the charging rule right?

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:43 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
I don't give a rat's ass about a suspension.

I want the god damn icing rule changed.

And I want Fedun to walk again.
QFT.

The huffing and puffing for/against Nystrom shouldn't distract anyone from that.

abootzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:43 AM
bellagiobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
It was both unecessary and dangerous. THis is the charging rule right?
It is Rule 81, which covers icing.

bellagiobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smytty 94 View Post
Suspension or not, I don't care. I just want Fedun to get better again and hopefully have another crack at it as early as next year.
This.
Hopefully his career isn't ruined from a meathead play, you could tell from his TC that he really benefitted from pro coaching and had an NHL future.

Anyone watch the game at Rexall against minny? Fedun seriously can't catch a break, he got ran from behind into the boards by Powe and there was no suspension for that even though it was a suspensionable offense.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
QFT.

The huffing and puffing for/against Nystrom shouldn't distract anyone from that.
I will still be trolling Nystrom's twitter to let him know he's a meathead.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote