HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Sign Trent Hunter (1 Year, $600k)

Old
09-30-2011, 04:17 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Awesome!

I hope Parse goes somewhere else and scores 20 goals and all the Monday morning quarterbacks get all ape **** about it. He has had every opportunity find his game in LA and they can't wait around forever hoping he is the next Matt Moulson. Good for him if he is able to figure it out somewhere else.
He has? Let's see - he did well his rookie year. Played a whopping 6 or 7 games last year (5 reg season; 2 or 3 in playoffs) and that's it.

If he's looked as poorly in camp as has been reported, fine, he lost his job on a very deep team. But to say he's had every opportunity and that the Kings can't wait any longer is crap.

Bottom line is when he is healthy, he produces. I have no doubt he'll get picked up on waivers and succeed elsewhere. However, NOBODY should ever complain that he didn't find success with LA. It just simply didn't work out, period.

Parse and Moulson are two completely different stories.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Renbarg

Islanders fan here. Loved trent when he was here, injuries slowed him down though. Even though you guys probably saw him a bit in training camp I thought i'd share some of my thoughts on his game:

Strengths
- good shot but a bit of a slow delivery
- very succesful toe drag move that he will often utilize on 2 on 1s, 2 on 2s and 3 on 2s.
- sick board play. Really good at retrieving the puck along the boards and even better at keeping possesion of the puck with his face facing the glass.
- physical. Is not a huge hitter but he will always (and I mean always) finish his checks rather then perform the old fly by.

Weaknesses
- shoot first (and second, and third) type of player. Not sure if this is a huge weakness but it could get aggravating after the 5th time in a pp he decides to bury a shot in shin pads rather then move the puck to a team-mate.
- as alluded to earlier he has a slow delivery on his shots and they are not incredibly accurate.
- slow skater. Probably among the 5 slowest skaters in the league, and a knee injury could not have helped.
- someone said earlier that he would replace Smyth's net front presence but that's not gonna happen. Yes he is a big body but that's just not his forte. The islanders wanted him to do the job that mark parrish did but he never took to it. I wouldn't call him a perimeter player but he prefers to fire away from around the hash marks and he's good at making space for himself there.

That's pretty much it. Sorry for typos and misspellings as I'm using my phone. If you all have any specific questions regarding him feel free to ask.

Glad for trent and I hope he does well for you guys.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:28 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Thanks for the Hunter info! Sounds a bit like a more physical version of old Fredrik Modin. I like what I've seen so far, and at $600k I like this signing a bit more than Moreau.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I think we really needed a bottom six player to protect the puck against the boards, as some players on last season's team did not do very well, so this was a good camp invite and good signing IMO.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:07 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Kings have Hunter at a cap hit of $600,000

Devil's cap hit for Hunter's buyout: $666,666 for 4 years.
Another example of how Lou, as brilliant as he is, has never truly grasped the salary cap and how you should plan for it long term. This all the by-product of a very ill-advised Rolston contract.

Glad we got Hunter signed. I wanted him from the moment NJ let him go, so I was stoked at the invite. Glad we signed him. And yes, likely adios Parse.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:31 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
He has? Let's see - he did well his rookie year. Played a whopping 6 or 7 games last year (5 reg season; 2 or 3 in playoffs) and that's it.

If he's looked as poorly in camp as has been reported, fine, he lost his job on a very deep team. But to say he's had every opportunity and that the Kings can't wait any longer is crap.

Bottom line is when he is healthy, he produces. I have no doubt he'll get picked up on waivers and succeed elsewhere. However, NOBODY should ever complain that he didn't find success with LA. It just simply didn't work out, period.

Parse and Moulson are two completely different stories.
If he was 22 or so, I'd agree. He's been to five training camps and looked worse in his fifth one than he did in previous ones. By the way he's played, he would have been cut a while ago if he was anyone else. If anyone knew they had a job to lose on this team of the bubble guys, it was him, and he didn't rise to the occasion.

Btw, he may have only played five games last year, but that's no excuse. He lost his job to a guy who played just 17 games last year.

Also, you say when healthy he produces. He's never scored more than 15 goals in a season since college. I was all for giving him a chance too, but he did nothing to show he's better than other players and worth keeping.

Old
09-30-2011, 05:40 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

He definitely deserves it!

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 05:46 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Strengths
- sick board play. Really good at retrieving the puck along the boards and even better at keeping possesion of the puck with his face facing the glass.
And now we know why TM wanted him.

Old
09-30-2011, 05:59 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Islanders fan here. Loved trent when he was here, injuries slowed him down though. Even though you guys probably saw him a bit in training camp I thought i'd share some of my thoughts on his game:

Strengths
- good shot but a bit of a slow delivery
- very succesful toe drag move that he will often utilize on 2 on 1s, 2 on 2s and 3 on 2s.
- physical. Is not a huge hitter but he will always (and I mean always) finish his checks rather then perform the old fly by.

Weaknesses
- shoot first (and second, and third) type of player. Not sure if this is a huge weakness but it could get aggravating after the 5th time in a pp he decides to bury a shot in shin pads rather then move the puck to a team-mate.
- as alluded to earlier he has a slow delivery on his shots and they are not incredibly accurate.
- slow skater. Probably among the 5 slowest skaters in the league, and a knee injury could not have helped.
- someone said earlier that he would replace Smyth's net front presence but that's not gonna happen. Yes he is a big body but that's just not his forte. The islanders wanted him to do the job that mark parrish did but he never took to it. I wouldn't call him a perimeter player but he prefers to fire away from around the hash marks and he's good at making space for himself there.

That's pretty much it. Sorry for typos and misspellings as I'm using my phone. If you all have any specific questions regarding him feel free to ask.

Glad for trent and I hope he does well for you guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
And now we know why TM wanted him.
No, now we know why TM wanted him.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:12 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I look forward to referring to him as Trout Hunter just for the halibut.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:54 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

This signing also serves a solid message to our up and coming kids. It takes more than talent to make the NHL unless you are among the elite. You have to achieve a certain level of professionalism and play before you make the team.

All of our kids just got punked by The Hunter (or trout), a utility forward who is oft injured. You have to be better than this to make the team. Keep working hard and you can make it. The line has been set. You must be at least this good to make the team.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:13 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
No, now we know why TM wanted him.
Haha, touche

Old
09-30-2011, 07:27 PM
Renbarg

As an fyi we sometimes called him "Big Game" just because big game hunter sounds badass.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Randart

My Expectations...

Happy for Trent a warrior kind of player imho, I remember seeing him deliver some hard hits on tough players not just the little guys...
Something not many players dare to do!

Also like his guts going into the tough spots to play, and I know our coach and GM feel the same about him.
Things Parse only does to get injured... Whoever it was said 'Parse & Matty Moulson are different players' I could not agree more with.
I was one who was amazed Parse has had any success and never saw him as the 2nd most gifted player on our team,
as even our GM I believe once said of him... WOW!

As to worrying if Parse ever gets even 20 much less 30 or 40 goals I would highly doubt that day comes before the second coming...
So welcome Trent and adios Scooter Parsely, I wish you all the best I am sure the Isles could use another great talent.

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 07:26 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

best things about TRENT- even tho he's not a goalscorer, he's cold as ice (clutch) and GREAT along the boards... he might as well own them. he hits too (never fights).

worst thing- skating (the man needs a wheelchair). injuries...

i will miss trent because he's clutch and quiet, not because he's injury prone.

Last edited by Disgraced Cosmonaut: 10-01-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote