HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "Duchene vs. Tavares" Debate

Old
10-01-2011, 12:23 AM
Seph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Really Seph? Hejduk was a great player before Duchene, and Duchene hasn't resurrected or given Milan any sort of career year. Tavares turned Moulson into a 30G, household name for the Isles and helped Parenteau earn 50+ points in his first full year in the NHL.
Keyword here is "was" a great player, and even then his numbers largely hinged on the play of centerman Joe Sakic (which neither Tavares or Duchene are nearly the caliber of yet). Not saying Hejduk was a leech, but Sakic was certainly a factor in him hitting the numbers he did. But ever since the lockout, Hejduk has consistently been a 20-30g 50-60pts player, the only exceptions being Sakic's 100 pt season where Hejduk hit 35g 70pts. And yes, I think Moulson could replicate those numbers playing with Stastny and Sakic.

But numbers aside, just watch the two play. It doesn't really matter who they were in the past, because what I am comparing is Hejduk and Moulson's play right now. Hejduk's lost a step from his prime and these days overall is a pretty similar player to Moulson. Their skillsets are very comparable, Hejduk being a bit more skilled and Moulson being a bit bigger/stronger. Both thrive on knowing where to go on the ice and having good hands and shot selections to bury the puck. Neither are notably strong playmakers, and neither is the kind of player that really boosts his linemates' numbers significantly as they don't really create chances for others. They mostly are just guys that excel at finishing the chances their linemates set up. I do think Hejduk is a slightly better playmaker, but I also think that minor advantage is negated by him playing fewer games.

Then again, the meat of this disagreement may be that I also don't think Moulson's numbers are exclusively a product of Tavares' play. Not saying Tavares doesn't help his numbers, because he does, but he's not giving Moulson a career. In their rookie seasons, when Tavares hit his cold streak and only put up 3 goals and 6 assists in 37 games, Moulson put up up 10 goals, which projects to 22g over 82 games. Which is less, of course, but still legit top 6 numbers and pretty much dead equal to what Hejduk put up each of the last two seasons. And if he is in fact purely a product of Tavares, then we overpaid significantly on Moulson's new contract.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 10:30 AM
potvins4cups

I think duchene's top out potential is about 70 - 80 points whereas tavares could reach 90 points. duchene will always be the better two way player but from an offensive output standpoint tavares will be better.

potvins4cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 07:19 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
'Charro Unchained'

I can't really begrudge a fanbase for thinking that they drafted the better kid.....but do I think the amount of "what if we wound up with Tavares?" posts/threads/musings from Avs' board over time will outnumber the "what if we got Duchene?" missives here, eventually telling the tale.

Both teams are and will be happy enough with their respective players, but it's a difference between and .....or maybe even (hopefully) , if I had my way.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:36 AM
BMOK33

Duchene is a pretty guy to watch score his goals and Tavares is freakin ugly as hell...thats part of the reason he may get crapped on over the years, even if he puts up similar or slightly better numbers than Duchene.

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:13 AM
BillD

Duchene scores because of his superb skating and good hands.
Tavares has closed the skating gap considerably, and his hands are just not good, they are great. He also has off the chart hockey IQ.
These will be two top centers for years to come, but Tavares IMO will have the more productive career and might really pull away if he has the surrounding support that most stars get from their team and linemates.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins4cups View Post
I think duchene's top out potential is about 70 - 80 points whereas tavares could reach 90 points. duchene will always be the better two way player but from an offensive output standpoint tavares will be better.
COL fan who also loves to watch NYI as I am a huge Okposo fan and have come to love many Islanders thanks to watching him.

Duchene has 100pt potential at his prime. If you see him play his skills are just sick and he is a speedy buzz saw.

When I watched him his rookie year he reminded me of Pat Lafontaine.

I have nothing bad to say about Tavares. I understand it's fun to debate such things, but I really think both guys are a can't miss and will make their teams better around them.

To me it's a coin flip.

This thread has been an interesting read.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote