HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carkner

Old
09-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

vCash: 500
Not my first choice, but truth be told I haven't watched him enough to see if he can take a regular shift on the bottom pairing.

I can't imagine the Rangers would accept a deal where they didn't send an NHL contract back. I.e. Erik Christensen.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:51 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
I want Carkner. Mitchell, Weise, and a third.
Too much imo
Weise and a 3rd for Carkner and a 7th.

Flip Christ somewhere for a 4th and it is basically just losing Weise (if we waive Christ anyway which seems quite likely) and switching a 3rd for a 4th and adding a 7th rounder (which we do not have in 2012 anyway)
Doubt it will happen though...

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:30 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Not my first choice, but truth be told I haven't watched him enough to see if he can take a regular shift on the bottom pairing.

I can't imagine the Rangers would accept a deal where they didn't send an NHL contract back. I.e. Erik Christensen.
He's the type of guy who can play 15-17 minutes but he isn't overly mobile. He delivers big hits because of his size and will stand-up for anyone on his team.

He knows how to position himself to be in the right spot so as to minimize the effect of his lack of foot-speed (which is no worse than Paul Mara) however, due to that fact, he blocks a TON of shots. He is a very good shot blocker and will give up his body to do so on a regular basis.

He clears the front of the net and has some playoff experience.

IMO, he is the type of player a playoff team should have as their 6/7 d-man. Hard-nosed, big, heavy hitter. It helps in the locker room and in games where it may get ugly, it allows Rupp to play and worry less about fighting. Same goes for Prust.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:32 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Too much imo
Weise and a 3rd for Carkner and a 7th.

Flip Christ somewhere for a 4th and it is basically just losing Weise (if we waive Christ anyway which seems quite likely) and switching a 3rd for a 4th and adding a 7th rounder (which we do not have in 2012 anyway)
Doubt it will happen though...
I would do:

Weise + 6th for Carkner

I really think Matt Carkner could be the type of player to be the Rangers #6/7 for the next 4-6 years. His teammates love him and he provides a toughness to a team that is always needed within a season, but may not be needed every game.

Old
09-30-2011, 10:49 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would do:

Weise + 6th for Carkner

I really think Matt Carkner could be the type of player to be the Rangers #6/7 for the next 4-6 years. His teammates love him and he provides a toughness to a team that is always needed within a season, but may not be needed every game.
I believe we have no 6th in 2012...

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
I would do:

Weise + 6th for Carkner

Carkner, Rupp, Prust would go a long way of keeping people off of Hank, Richards and Gabby.

We need Carkner ten fold over a guy like Eminger.

Sather has gone after tough guys that last 3-4 years...well, here he is and he wont be expensive. Give the Sens...Weise and 4th in next years draft.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Parker

I'm totally down with sending player(s) + pick for Carkner, make it happen Slats!

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:08 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
We have Greening, Condra, and Foligno among others. We really have no need for a player like that. If you guys need Carkner, a draft pick is coming back. We need some spots filled in Bingo as well on defence so maybe something like this would work for me.

To Ottawa: Stu Bickel and a 3rd/4th round pick in 2012

To New York: Carkner
No to ^.
Carkner overrated.
Pick is in a deep draft.
Bickel shows potential as 6th or 7th.

Want to dump Avery. No takers.
Would prefer to move EC.

If the Sens want to make a real deal for Rundblad, not asking for Kreider, let's talk.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:14 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
No to ^.
Carkner overrated.
Pick is in a deep draft.
Bickel shows potential as 6th or 7th.

Want to dump Avery. No takers.
Would prefer to move EC.

If the Sens want to make a real deal for Rundblad, not asking for Kreider, let's talk.
Stu Bickel? The 24 year old AHL defenseman? I don't think so.

The Rangers can spare a late round pick and they can replace it at the draft very easily by moving a redundant player like Valentenko or Hagelin or Weise or whoever.

Old
09-30-2011, 11:16 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Stu Bickel is a gamer and a good teammate, but he is not and will not be an NHL player.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:13 PM
SML

Quote:

The Rangers can spare a late round pick and they can replace it at the draft very easily by moving a redundant player like Valentenko or Hagelin or Weise or whoever.
I'm guessing you didn't realize that Carkner didn't get into the NHL until he was 29, and played over 8 years in the AHL. The only difference between these two players is time. Carker is barely 2 full season into an NHL career and people are acting like he's Beukeboom. We have Bickel. Give him an opportunity to prove he can't cut it before you bring a more expensive option in.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:19 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I'm guessing you didn't realize that Carkner didn't get into the NHL until he was 29, and played over 8 years in the AHL. The only difference between these two players is time. Carker is barely 2 full season into an NHL career and people are acting like he's Beukeboom. We have Bickel. Give him an opportunity to prove he can't cut it before you bring a more expensive option in.
I did know it took Carkner quite a bit of time to reach the NHL. I know how old he is as well.

Do you really believe that Stu Bickel is in the Rangers long-term plans? Short-term plans? I don't. Moving him for a player who can help this team at all is a plus.

No one is saying he the next Beukeboom, at all. And he makes a whopping .7 million this season.

Let me also say that I have watched quite a few Ottawa games in the past 3-4 years as I was a student at Buffalo and Ottawa was on CBC quite frequently.

Old
09-30-2011, 12:20 PM
SML

Quote:

I dont know how or why this double posted. Anyway, I feel like if we can't develop 6-7 defensemen from within, then what the hell is going on. There's just no reason to have to trade to fill that spot. So maybe it's not a money issue, but it sends a bad message when a kid works his butt off, plays well, and in the end it was for nothing. I think the reason other teams have guys come in from off the radar is because they give them opportunity. Look at that kid Pittburgh brought in, Engelland. Who had him making their team? Is Bickel so bad, or does he just not have the pedigree?

Last edited by SML: 09-30-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old
09-30-2011, 10:50 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

just adding to the thread the following points

runblad had a heck of a game the other night, with games like that he might just make the roster

NY can always dress 7 defensemen which allows Carkner to drop the gloves whenever he wants to.

Obviously having 11 forwards may crimp the PK effectiveness as there is one fewer spot but I think Carkner is worth making the exception for. Especially in Philly or against the Pengoons

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:21 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
just adding to the thread the following points

runblad had a heck of a game the other night, with games like that he might just make the roster

NY can always dress 7 defensemen which allows Carkner to drop the gloves whenever he wants to.

Obviously having 11 forwards may crimp the PK effectiveness as there is one fewer spot but I think Carkner is worth making the exception for. Especially in Philly or against the Pengoons
I am a big supporter of tough hockey. But I don't think we should be dressing 7 dmen if were using Richards on one of the points. Where is the icetime going to come from for that extra guy when Stall & G are playing 23+ each, mcd and sauer close to that, and whomever else a little behind, when you subtract the PP time Richards eats, how many minutes are left?

Old
09-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Just a thought..

Imagine a defense pairing with Carkner and McIlrath?

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:04 AM
albator71

I'm not to warm to the idea of trading Carkner, we need some toughness and grit on our blueline with all the young skillful guys we have we need someone who can do the dirty work. But you can have Kuba if you want.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:28 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
I would do:

Weise + 6th for Carkner

Really? The guy is like 31, has had 1-2 seasons in the NHL and is mediocre at best. If the horrible sens don't need him - why would we?

We don't want to clog up our depth with horrible contracts. We're trying to make a cup run in 2-3 years time. We need to keep flexibility and therefore promoting from within (Bell, Bickel) is better and cheaper - giving us the time to allow the pieces that will help us compete (Erixon) to develop.

No to Carkner - or any other vet D.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:30 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I dont know how or why this double posted. Anyway, I feel like if we can't develop 6-7 defensemen from within, then what the hell is going on. There's just no reason to have to trade to fill that spot. So maybe it's not a money issue, but it sends a bad message when a kid works his butt off, plays well, and in the end it was for nothing. I think the reason other teams have guys come in from off the radar is because they give them opportunity. Look at that kid Pittburgh brought in, Engelland. Who had him making their team? Is Bickel so bad, or does he just not have the pedigree?
i didnt read this post before i posted.

it is exactly what i think.

if we can't develop a no 6 D - we may as well give up

Old
10-01-2011, 11:37 AM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
Really? The guy is like 31, has had 1-2 seasons in the NHL and is mediocre at best. If the horrible sens don't need him - why would we?

We don't want to clog up our depth with horrible contracts. We're trying to make a cup run in 2-3 years time. We need to keep flexibility and therefore promoting from within (Bell, Bickel) is better and cheaper - giving us the time to allow the pieces that will help us compete (Erixon) to develop.

Carkner is better than Bell and Bickel. He's good on the PK and in the defensive zone, but is too slow to match up against top lines 5-on-5. The guy's contract is up at the end of the season, I don't see how it hurts you trying to make a cup run in 2-3 years.

And there is Karlsson, Gonchar and Rundblad on the right, so that's why the horrible Sens don't need him.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:49 AM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
Really?
We don't want to clog up our depth with horrible contracts.

Carkner makes 700k short term contract. What the hell are you talking about "horrible contracts"?

Also, if you haven't seen as of now Steve Eminger is our #4 defenseman. Carkner isn't blocking anyone, and we desperately need some help.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:56 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
If Carkner hadn't been the one to whip Boogaard, wouldn't anyone really be clambering for this guy?

10-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Carkner makes 700k short term contract. What the hell are you talking about "horrible contracts"?

Also, if you haven't seen as of now Steve Eminger is our #4 defenseman. Carkner isn't blocking anyone, and we desperately need some help.
yea bringing in a cheap contract like Carkner is ideal actually and I am sure Sather is throwing around proposals and offering up EC in most offers.

It would make sense to move a spare F for a 6th Dman and you have to think teams will have some available bodies

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:33 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yea bringing in a cheap contract like Carkner is ideal actually and I am sure Sather is throwing around proposals and offering up EC in most offers.

It would make sense to move a spare F for a 6th Dman and you have to think teams will have some available bodies
exactly - it would be a need based deal...team with extra dman trades one to the team that has extra forward...there are usually a bunch of these moves late in the preseason. it doesn't have to be carkner, though I think he fits the bill.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:43 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Ryan Parent (left D) is on waivers today from Vancouver. Interesting.

edit- just read the Van board. they can't wait for someone to take him. apparently he's played really bad. another former 1st rounder who looks like he's going backwards