HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Never Ending Waiver Wire Junkyard

Old
10-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Aucoin3

vCash: 500
The Never Ending Waiver Wire Junkyard

I'm typically very against all these waiver wire threads but today Phoenix waived Viktor Tikonov. Former first round pick that was highly touted after his rookie season in Phoenix 2 years ago.

I know we don't really have as many vacant spots like when we picked up Grabner or signed Moulson but I think this is the first waiver guy worth considering since Nabokov

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:21 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Talk about a guy who has had a stock-drop. Sounds like he has some issue holding his development back... I bet someone picks him up though.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:24 PM
IslesNorway

Going back to Russia maybe?

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Going back to Russia maybe?
Maybe, but this is really an American kid so there is no russian factor imo.

I personally would pass but the size is intriguing.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Eh why not? We get him for nothing, give him a chance and if he doesn't stick we put him on waivers again. No such thing as too many players in the system. Each one is like a lotto ticket, you might not win on all of em, sometimes you only get 5 bucks. But there's always a chance its the jackpot and best of all the winning ticket was free.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:41 PM
NYI94wasaFLUKE9

Im not a fan. He will clear.

NYI94wasaFLUKE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:49 PM
CodeE

When making a pickup you must consider whose spot he'll be taking. None of the top 9, so you're down to Nino, Haley, Gillies, Reasoner, Martin. Tiko's not replacing Reasoner at center anytime soon so Marty's in. We need a fighter to protect the kiddies so count one of Haley/Gillies in the lineup, if not a healthy scratch.

So, the question is, do you want Tikonov to take Nino/Martin's spot in the lineup? I'd rather take my chance on those guys than another forward who can't crack another team's lineup.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:00 PM
kasper11

The only way I would pick him up is if Nino is going to be out awhile.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
why not size and skill maybe needs a new system didnt hurt with Grabs but at the same time we dont really need him so couldnt hurt but if we do im all for it if not, ehhh no worries

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:27 PM
StrongIslanders90

Nino is hurt.....Rhett who would be first call up IMO is hurt....why not....We didnt do too bad with Grabs....but then again it could be Shremp.....Take the chance if it doesnt work waive him when Nino is ready to play

But knowing the Isles they will Give a contract to Pandolfo before doing this

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:42 PM
kpap57

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Nino is hurt.....Rhett who would be first call up IMO is hurt....why not....We didnt do too bad with Grabs....but then again it could be Shremp.....Take the chance if it doesnt work waive him when Nino is ready to play

But knowing the Isles they will Give a contract to Pandolfo before doing this
This. I see a pandolfo signing more then a waiver wire pick up (on the O side of things anyway.) I really wouldnt mind them signing Pandolfo. The guy is a very responsible player and a great penalty killer. On top of that, another veteran guy on the team wouldnt hurt. Very good fourth line of Martin-Reasoner-Pandolfo. Our bottom 6 would be significantly better this year.

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 03:34 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpap57 View Post
This. I see a pandolfo signing more then a waiver wire pick up (on the O side of things anyway.) I really wouldnt mind them signing Pandolfo. The guy is a very responsible player and a great penalty killer. On top of that, another veteran guy on the team wouldnt hurt. Very good fourth line of Martin-Reasoner-Pandolfo. Our bottom 6 would be significantly better this year.
Except Tikhonov is younger and will probably be just as good defensively as Pandolfo. He may not have the experience but he can play the sme role. I like the sound of a Martin-Reasoner-Tikhonov line over a Martin-Reasoner-Haley/Pandolfo line.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:02 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
When making a pickup you must consider whose spot he'll be taking. None of the top 9, so you're down to Nino, Haley, Gillies, Reasoner, Martin. Tiko's not replacing Reasoner at center anytime soon so Marty's in. We need a fighter to protect the kiddies so count one of Haley/Gillies in the lineup, if not a healthy scratch.

So, the question is, do you want Tikonov to take Nino/Martin's spot in the lineup? I'd rather take my chance on those guys than another forward who can't crack another team's lineup.
The exact same scenario existed when the NYI picked up Grabner. I'm not saying they should grab him, but I'll trust them to make the call. I didn't like how long we kept Tamby and Schremp around and I'm surprised Grabner turned out as well as he has. I haven't seen enough of Tikhonov to make the call one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Except Tikhonov is younger and will probably be just as good defensively as Pandolfo. He may not have the experience but he can play the sme role. I like the sound of a Martin-Reasoner-Tikhonov line over a Martin-Reasoner-Haley/Pandolfo line.
no way, Pandolfo has been in the league forever, played more playoff games than most current NYI players have played in the NHL. He knows the game, he's a no risk signing, albeit no upside.

I think Pandolfo's lost a few steps, without a doubt, he's no faster than Trent Hunter and less effective than Doug Weight would be. I wouldn't sign him but I think the NYI will. I don't have a problem with that though, the role he'd play is something that can only help the NYI and the younger guys.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Hey, it's more "Why not?". Compelling.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 09:30 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpap57 View Post
Pass on Pandolfo. Mancari and Weise both are better players at this point.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 09:37 AM
seafoam

vCash: 50
I feel like we should take a chance on one of the younger kids going through the waiver wire, but sign Pandolfo as a safety callup. Play him in the Bridge and if Tikinov or Player XYZ doesn't perform, send them down and bring up Pandolfo.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote