HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Ray Chambers has agreed to pay $25 million to unload his 47 percent stake in the team

Old
09-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Scott04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBoner Stabone View Post
That place is empty alot of nights and they could use more acts.

But since they have a large debt load, they could and can use more nights for acts.

This year, they had Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga some of the biggest touring acts.
As was said, they don't have nearly as many empty nights as you think. And the number of events is increasing, as is the profile of some of the events. Getting some of the major concerts, as well as things like the NBA draft/NCAA tourney do a lot for their exposure and appeal.

Quote:
How am I flailing and how do you conclude the last point? I was merely stating something I heard and read.

You completely missed the point I was making. If there are a certain amount of nights available and SMG said they turn away lucaritve concerts and revenue because the Panthers have alot of nights. I was making the point that concerts and events are and can be more lucartive than a sporting event.

The Panthers are not in the same boat as the Devils. The County owns and the management company made that statement, one of Sniders arena management companies. I don't what the debt load is of the arena in Broward county, but the cost and time it was built is different and attendance is a problem there to begin with.

The Devils have a large debt load and Vanderbeek has been lobbying to close Izod to get the live nation acts and more revenue for his arena. Like I said, this year they had three marquee acts along with Metallica come through. All you need to do is look at who the Izod draws and Vanderbeek and the Devils see that as money out of there pockets. Any time it's an issue, Booker, Essex County and Vanderbeek are in Trenton lobbying for the closure of the IZOD when it was an issue.
Yes, Izod is a competitor in a sense, but they're not exactly going to be upset because something is at Izod. At least not to the extent you're making it seem. Sure, different promoters may have different preferences for arenas, especially in this area as they can't play them all during a tour. But in many cases, I'm sure promoters would prefer the Prudential Center than Izod assuming they were both available. Better arena, more accessible, etc. Obviously I'm sure the costs vary between the two facilities, given the condition of the Rock. But in the grand scheme of things, the Rock is more attractive to hold your event. The issue is that they can't agree to host all of these events because of other obligations, such as Devils game, and as of the last year, Nets games on the calendar. Some dates have to be held that they just can't give up for a show. The Rock has much more to choose from than Izod, so I doubt they're as concerned when a show is held in East Rutherford. In some cases, I'm sure its because they turned it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsIn2010 View Post
I would like to see more large acts booked at The Rock too.
Foo Fighters in November will be a big revenue producer.

I spoke to the manager at Uber Burger over the summer and he said it's rough when there are so many days between events.

Obviously it gets more busy during hockey season, but the Devils hands are tied with not knowing how long the NBA lockout will last.

If they knew for sure the season was cancelled they would start booking acts to fill dates.

Even if the Nets only draw about 10-12k per game it is still cash flow that the Devils, Centerplate and area businesses need to have success.
Exactly. Even though there is no NBA season as of yet, the schedules have been announced I believe. Every date on there has to be held by the Prudential Center as if there is going to be a season. And in all likelihood, they can not release the date until anything is officially canceled, which is probably 2-3 weeks before said day, which is too short of notice to fill it. This is why lockouts kill arenas. If they knew 4 months ago if there would be no basketball before January 1st, I guarantee you they would have plenty of shows filling those spots. But they just can't. They have to hold the dates.

And even though the Nets aren't huge draws attendance wise, you have to consider that they're paying some sort of rent for using the facility, and I'm pretty sure the Rock probably gets a bigger share of concessions, or some in-game revenue that the Devils weren't getting while they shared CAA/Izod/the Meadowlands. Obviously its all speculation if they make more money off of a Nets game, or a concert, but regardless, they definitely profit off of a Nets game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
the wall mural on Mulberry? there's actually something in there... the Nets "club".
Yup. That are became two clubs. One is a really small one, but there is a larger one (the one directly behind that wall mural) which is a club the Nets built. For anyone who was there, that's where the indoor portion of the draft party was held for the Devils this year. The Pru Center has very limited use of that space throughout the year. But once the Nets are gone, I'm curious to see how they'll use it. Maybe the Devils will be able to sell it as an added perk for some kind of club and/or suite tickets. But that's still a little ways off for the time being. No idea who paid what for it to be built, but as far as I know, the expense was at least mostly on the Nets to create that club, so whatever.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:39 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
Yeah, if only there were bars in the area that we could go to..... Even if they put one in, a lot of people here would complain that the team was wasting money with all the competition it would face from the growing number of local bars.. At this point, why should they bother competing?
Ehhhhhh, I was just saying that it's wasted Square Footage at the moment. But frankly, if the real reason a vendor doesnt move in there is because of a belief that it's not profitable, I suppose that's telling in itself. Whatever; the fact is it was supposed to be an uber-awesome thing as stated before The Rock opened, and it's still vacant.

But I'm well-aware of your MO, and you can have it your way I suppose. Here, I even found them in red and black for you......

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Devils Dominion
Thank you Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I cant believe we still dont have a giant sports bar and restaurant in that massive void on the ground level. Like most every other reasonably new arena. Sucks.
The Accela Club restaurant is actually pretty neat, especially when they remodeled/redesigned it last season.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Ehhhhhh, I was just saying that it's wasted Square Footage at the moment. But frankly, if the real reason a vendor doesnt move in there is because of a belief that it's not profitable, I suppose that's telling in itself. Whatever; the fact is it was supposed to be an uber-awesome thing as stated before The Rock opened, and it's still vacant.

But I'm well-aware of your MO, and you can have it your way I suppose. Here, I even found them in red and black for you......

It's actually being used for storage at the moment so it's not vacant but when have facts ever stood in your way.. Here's one for your MO (not that any of this has any relevance but you seemed to think so, and I can play along)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsIn2010 View Post
The Accela Club restaurant is actually pretty neat, especially when they remodeled/redesigned it last season.
What was redone, aside from adding the Acela stuff to it?

Last edited by Colin226: 09-29-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:10 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
It's actually being used for storage at the moment so it's not vacant but when have facts ever stood in your way..
Ohhhhhh, so I stand corrected.

No, it's not vacant in the least, they're just using the several thousand square feet of prime commercial real estate to warehouse empty boxes and those unsold bobblehead dolls! Got it. Thank you ever so much for correcting me and my silly folly. Also, dont ever go into real estate.

Old
09-30-2011, 01:42 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Burned.

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:13 PM
guyincognito

Seriously, though, that space isn't as useable as it seems from the outside, between the big, strip-club dark creepy Nets clubs and the press entrance. Actually was kinda surprised when I went back there during the draft party

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 04:56 PM
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

What void are we talking about?

MJB Devils23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Scott04

Quote:
It's actually being used for storage at the moment so it's not vacant but when have facts ever stood in your way.. Here's one for your MO (not that any of this has any relevance but you seemed to think so, and I can play along)

What was redone, aside from adding the Acela stuff to it?
I would call it "re-configured" more so than renovated. They changed the layout near the bar area. Opened it up more. I believe they made the bar more so the center of that side area and opened it up. Before it was kind of like its own little room, and I think now it's a more open space. That's the only part that really changed at all as far as I'm aware.

Quote:
Ohhhhhh, so I stand corrected.

No, it's not vacant in the least, they're just using the several thousand square feet of prime commercial real estate to warehouse empty boxes and those unsold bobblehead dolls! Got it. Thank you ever so much for correcting me and my silly folly. Also, dont ever go into real estate.
They actually don't have nearly as much free storage space as you would think in there at the moment. Seton Hall has their storage space. Obviously the Devils have theirs. The Nets have theirs. When they're in-season the Liberty have their's. And then there's storage space that has to be used for the random shows that come in and out, and sometimes little side events that may be associated with an event, or due to some other circumstance. They're not exactly driving golf carts around in open storage spaces. When the Nets move out I'm sure they'll have surplus space. But at the moment, it's far from it in that place.

Old
09-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

I happened to walk by the large mural tonight and being that I saw this conversation.....

You can see through it rather well and there are multiple different rooms and hallways, one room full of equipment, another looked to be an office of some sort and I also saw a lighted hallway, so I think that would explain why nothing in terms of a resturant/bar is there

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:44 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post
You can see through it rather well and there are multiple different rooms and hallways, one room full of equipment, another looked to be an office of some sort and I also saw a lighted hallway, so I think that would explain why nothing in terms of a resturant/bar is there
That logic is a bit like saying because there's some junk in the attic, that's the reason why the attic wasnt converted into a guest apartment for rental income.

If they could have a Ruth's Chris, Outback Steakhouse, ESPN Zone, yada yada, in there, they would.

Old
09-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItVeryMuch View Post
Burned.
Yup haha.. and it's killing me

Quote:

Seriously, though, that space isn't as useable as it seems from the outside, between the big, strip-club dark creepy Nets clubs and the press entrance. Actually was kinda surprised when I went back there during the draft party
How did you get down there during the draft party? lol I tried to find a way to get into the "bowels" of the Pru Center but they had it pretty locked down
Side notice, since we are on the storage topic.. The Devils lease with the old meadowlands warehouse ended this year and they moved everything into the Rock's various storage rooms? (might be why the bar underneath has been delayed) which is saving them team roughly $10k+ per month

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:59 PM
guyincognito

Quote:
Yup haha.. and it's killing me

How did you get down there during the draft party? lol I tried to find a way to get into the "bowels" of the Pru Center but they had it pretty locked down
Side notice, since we are on the storage topic.. The Devils lease with the old meadowlands warehouse ended this year and they moved everything into the Rock's various storage rooms? (might be why the bar underneath has been delayed) which is saving them team roughly $10k+ per month
the "extra" access, soda and cookies were in the Nets "club" down in the bowels by the floor seat concert entrance. That takes up a good deal of the space on Mulberry and the room while it's pretty long, isn't really that wide. Not big enough for a restaurant.

and the hall goes down towards the press entrance. there's not that much space there. I think the mural creates an illusion of this huge empty space

Old
10-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
That logic is a bit like saying because there's some junk in the attic, that's the reason why the attic wasnt converted into a guest apartment for rental income.

If they could have a Ruth's Chris, Outback Steakhouse, ESPN Zone, yada yada, in there, they would.
I would also like to add that when I went to that "warehouse sale" at the end of last season, you had to go down that hallway and the left side which is the side I'm talking about had a few doors and the press room

I agree that I think it would be cool to have a bar/resturant there, but there really isn't much to make of that area of space even if they moved everything there to another location, the space they'd have to work with is narrow and then you'd hear people complaining that there wasn't enough seating, yadda, yadda, yadda

Old
10-01-2011, 12:11 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman77 View Post

I agree that I think it would be cool to have a bar/resturant there, but there really isn't much to make of that area of space even if they moved everything there to another location, the space they'd have to work with is narrow and then you'd hear people complaining that there wasn't enough seating, yadda, yadda, yadda
Well then there's really only a few possibilities:

1) Knocking out a wall or two and remodeling the space would be fairly simple
2) It was a massive construction screwup and they poorly planned/ruined it
3) The Devils were full of (*#$ from the start

Of these possibilities, I think #1 must be the most likely, because the Devils were supposedly "searching" for a tenant after The Rock opened.

Old
10-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
Well then there's really only a few possibilities:

1) Knocking out a wall or two and remodeling the space would be fairly simple
2) It was a massive construction screwup and they poorly planned/ruined it
3) The Devils were full of (*#$ from the start

Of these possibilities, I think #1 must be the most likely, because the Devils were supposedly "searching" for a tenant after The Rock opened.
If you knock the wall or two down, you still have an issue with depth of the place......the length isn't a problem, it just doesn't go deep

Let's say all walls are removed from the press, storage, etc rooms leaving just the back wall......behind that back wall is a hallway with other rooms across it and that hallway is the main hallway that runs underneath the rock (to the locker rooms and practice rink)......you can't remove that hallway especially for security purposes and the ease of getting to places quicker

Even if you were to push that back wall back a bit, narrowing the hallway, you still only would get a few feet because the hallway isn't wide either

Old
10-01-2011, 12:21 AM
guyincognito

4) They also could have been looking at another location on the property. Uber Burger fits one of the "business descriptions" as a quick-service burger place, the only question is where is the bar and grille type place....

maybe there's somewhere on the concourse, or maybe their solution to this was to blow out the restaurant bar and double its size...

Old
10-01-2011, 12:33 AM
Scott04

I can't think of anywhere else where there could have been a bar/restaurant on that level aside from where the Nets have that one club right now. Maybe I'm not fully understanding what specific areas you guys are talking about, but from what I know of the lay out down there, there's really just no logical place for it unless it would be a very very small bar

Old
10-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Devils Dominion
Thank you Marty

Quote:
4) They also could have been looking at another location on the property. Uber Burger fits one of the "business descriptions" as a quick-service burger place, the only question is where is the bar and grille type place....

maybe there's somewhere on the concourse, or maybe their solution to this was to blow out the restaurant bar and double its size...
Uber Burger began selling beer and wine a few months ago.

But the "Penalty Box" bar and grill, sit down joint with waiter service, was supposed to open this Fall somewhere at The Rock.
Those plans may be on the backburner at this point, I don't know.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:39 PM
RMBoner Stabone

Alot of things that were suppose to happen, didn't happen. Whether it economics or piss poor planning due to the city not being on board or even the Devils not being fruitful.

Reminds of Howard Stern and his three channels and content when fans are dealing with what it is now.

RMBoner Stabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:59 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
Alot of things that were suppose to happen, didn't happen. Whether it economics or piss poor planning due to the city not being on board or even the Devils not being fruitful.

Reminds of Howard Stern and his three channels and content when fans are dealing with what it is now.
You mean you dont like ol' Hoo Hoo working 11 days a year and collecting a 100 million dollar paycheck? Those Howard channels are filled with some rib tickling radio.

That ancient out of touch fossil is pretty much the reason the two companies had to merge.

Last edited by ILikeItVeryMuch*: 10-01-2011 at 01:11 PM.
ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote