HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers trying to get rid of Avery

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

vCash: 500
Whether or not Avery is right or wrong in any dispute, he's still a distraction because other teams, refs, and media often make a huge deal about anything he does. I like Avery a lot and I wish he could show some more scoring touch and really make it a harder decision but with our current depth, it seems the time may be coming to part ways sooner than later. There's the undeniable fact that the refs treat him unfairly and that can hurt your team in the most important games, even if averys played great and drew a penalty, the refs are clearly not beneath making up new standards to penalize him. It sucks but this is the reality of the situation. I really doubt the guy has some negative or bad attitude in the locker room of off the ice. He's good friends with Henke and Richards and those two are not classless idiots so that tells me averys NHL reputation is wildly overblown. I don't think he has any negative impact on the younger guys. I think all Tortorella is worried about is losing games and Avery can be a detriment whether it's fair or not.

Old
10-01-2011, 11:14 AM
MAYO

I live in this province and don't bother listening to this guy. Christ every year he's preparing for a Stanely Cup parade for his beloved Canadiens!!!! I call B.S. and for once I just wish you Avery haters could just admit he's been playing well enough for him to stay with the team.

Old
10-01-2011, 11:33 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Avery is a great depth guy. Keep him around until someone gets hurt. This team is weak on LW.

Besides, he's playing for a contract, albeit with only 4 or 5 NHL teams willing to even go within 100 miles of him for negotiations.

Old
10-01-2011, 11:37 AM
haveandare

If they wanted to get rid of him they'd have cut him earlier and not said outright that he's in competition for a 13th spot. Also, I'm pretty sure you can't loan a player to Europe without their consent. Wouldn't Wade be out there now if that were the case?

Old
10-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
If they wanted to get rid of him they'd have cut him earlier and not said outright that he's in competition for a 13th spot. Also, I'm pretty sure you can't loan a player to Europe without their consent. Wouldn't Wade be out there now if that were the case?
I think Redden had more control of his situation than either Christ or Avery has right now.

Old
10-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Christobal Huet is under contract with the Hawks but he played last season and will play this season in Europe. The Rangers would have loaned Wade Redden to a team in Europe if he wanted to play in Europe. The Rangers loaned Darius Kaspairitis to a KHL team instead of having him play in the AHL.

Would another NHL team touch Avery on waivers? Not after his antics in Dallas. Avery played in Hartford in 2008-09 when he came back from his suspension. He was on his best behavior trying to get back into the NHL with the Rangers.

Avery's roster spot with the Rangers is hanging by a thread. If he makes the team,Avery will be a very expensive 13th forward.
If preseason play has any bearing on who makes the team where then Avery should not be the 13th foward. He also seems to have some chemistry going to MZA.

Christensen has been on the verge of being out of the NHL for 3 years now, this season he is gonna get a taste of the AHL.

Old
10-01-2011, 01:42 PM
CM PUNK

who knows about them not wanting him in hartford or talking to euro teams, but i think its pretty clear that despite looking pretty good in preseason, torts wants no part of avery on the team. he has given him zero chance on a real line.

Old
10-01-2011, 02:00 PM
gotmonte

E.C. is better in the shootouts than Avery.

Even though Shootouts are not played in the playoffs, it IS played in the Regular Season and E.C. can get us a few more points in the standings even though he is incredibly inconsistent.

Avery on the other hand.. TERRIBLE.

I dont care how good his pre season was (he is playing against other teams kids for crying out loud... how do you base your opinion of his play against tweeners and hopefuls in the future?)

E.C. over Sean Avery any day of the week.

The days of the Garden chanting "A-very... A-very" are over. And thank God for that.

Guy is a bum.. Next.....

Old
10-01-2011, 02:24 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post

Even though Shootouts are not played in the playoffs, it IS played in the Regular Season and E.C. can get us a few more points in the standings even though he is incredibly inconsistent.

I dont care how good his pre season was (he is playing against other teams kids for crying out loud... how do you base your opinion of his play against tweeners and hopefuls in the future?)

The days of the Garden chanting "A-very... A-very" are over. And thank God for that.

Guy is a bum.. Next.....
be prepared to be disappointed.

You don;t keep a guy around cause he's good at one thing.

Avery is a much better player than EC and can offer more because he can play in more situations and against the more physical teams in the league.

Old
10-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Wolfy

If they want Avery gone, why is he still around?

I noticed yesterday during the game when he was hit by a stick and they had to stitch up his face. I expected him to explode there but he behaved well, made me like him a little more. Question is whats needed, Christensens better skills or Averys grit.

Old
10-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I'd prefer we kept both, but it looks as though that isn't in the cards.

Christensen:

Can play center with a better faceoff %
Shootout weapon
Better goal scoring ability and skill
Affordability

Avery:

Energy
Popularity with Lundqvist and Gaborik
Physicality
Versatility

Old
10-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Yawn.

Never believe anything from these never-heard-of-before sources. 99 times out of 100 they have no credibility.

Avery will be the 13th forward on this team.

Christensen will be the one traded/waived/sent to CT

Old
10-01-2011, 02:58 PM
eco's bones

I don't think Torts cares for either one of them. They're both legit NHL players though--Christensen's got a cheaper salary but Avery's got a much better compete level. Sean draws a lot of penalties and makes more boneheaded plays. Christensen shows up only when he wants to. Yeah--he's good in shootouts. So are Richards, Wolski and Zuccarello--and Lundqvist. Personally if I were kicking one to the curb it would be EC. You can't count on him when the going really gets tough. Avery you can count on being in the middle of everything.

Old
10-01-2011, 03:11 PM
petejudge

i can't comprehend what torts and this organization is seeing that MZA has a better shot at making the team than avery does. MZA has looked decent, but his best games have been in europe. avery has been one of the best players on the ice this entire preseason. it's really disappointing that he probably won't be playing regularly for this team after playing so well the last few weeks.

Old
10-01-2011, 03:16 PM
OverTheCap

If Sather has any say in the matter (which as the GM, I'm presuming he does), I'd have to think he'd be in Avery's corner. He went out of his way to re-acquire Avery after the sloppy seconds incident, which is something he didn't have to do. Slats had some really kind words to say about Avery when when he returned as well: "over time, you learn to love him." I can't imagine that Sather would be so eager to ship Sean off, especially after the strong preseason he's had.

Old
10-01-2011, 03:31 PM
SRTtoZ

While it may be true because we might not have room for him, why would we care so much about unloading him to a European team??? Wouldnt we just wave him?

Old
10-01-2011, 03:35 PM
SRTtoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post

Guy is a bum.. Next.....
The problem with this argument is yes Avery is playing against other teams "kids" but so is Christensen...and he STILL STINKS. At least Avery is noticeable out there, working hard, drawing penalties, making plays on the puck etc.

Old
10-01-2011, 03:38 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
While it may be true because we might not have room for him, why would we care so much about unloading him to a European team??? Wouldnt we just wave him?
This "rumor" claims that the team doesn't want him ruining the kids in Hartford.

It's just pain.
Old
10-01-2011, 03:43 PM
stan the caddy

Eri Christensen always has been and always will be a bust. He's a kid with a ton of talent that doesn't like to play hard. On the other hand Avery works his ass off on every shift. Avery is far more valuable to the team.

Old
10-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Wolfy

Well the Simmonds incident didn't make things better for Avery. It's also true that he's not wanted in any NHL- or AHL club because of his well known attitude. I don't think he has a future as a top level hockey player.

The Rangers want to leave him in Europe...that's kinda funny, poor Avery

Old
10-01-2011, 03:53 PM
mike14

disregard, stuffed up......

Old
10-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Well the Simmonds incident didn't make things better for Avery. It's also true that he's not wanted in any NHL- or AHL club because of his well known attitude. I don't think he has a future as a top level hockey player.

The "well-known attitude" you talk about doesn't exist. A lot of players don't like some of the things he does and says on the ice, but there aren't really attitude issues off the ice. The things in Dallas stemmed from on-ice issues and players pre-conceived notions of the guy. People seem to forget that his on-ice persona is just an act.

Old
10-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
I'd prefer we kept both, but it looks as though that isn't in the cards.

Christensen:

Can play center with a better faceoff %
Shootout weapon
Better goal scoring ability and skill
Affordability

Avery:

Energy
Popularity with Lundqvist and Gaborik
Physicality
Versatility
I also think Avery is better in a bottom 6 role and EC in scoring situations.

not sure if the 2 million vs 1 million cap hit comes into play

honestly if Sather has a taker on waivers for Avery I think he goes but if there is no sign of a taker then EC is a goner.

Both should play tomorrow

when does the roster have to be set?

Old
10-01-2011, 04:17 PM
ZenBaja

I think this entire thing, not this article, but this entire preseason of "avery might get cut" - is because the summer (with the cop thing), and Avery in general, scares the crap out of management. So they are trying to put as much possible pressure on Avery to play this year without getting into lots of trouble, and to play hard. If he can't do that with the entire world against him, then he's not gonna make it.

Old
10-01-2011, 04:34 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post

According to who?--some knucklehead with a radio show in Quebec? What do we know about that guy? --besides nothing.

The comment about not wanting Avery around the younger guys--again who is he talking about?--Callahan? Dubinsky? Staal? He's been around them already for several years. He's a cancer in the locker room? Prove it. The Rangers want him to stay in Europe? Really? Does his agent know? I guess it's a possibility but he still has a contract with the Rangers and it's not like they can assign him to a KHL team unless he's okay with it.

Closed Thread