HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Training Camp Discussion (UPD: Canucks cut Jensen, Schroeder, Duco, Lack, Sauve)

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2011, 02:53 AM
ProstheticConscience
Freeman?

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Sauve's not flashy or anything but you can see there's potential there. Obviously he could stand to improve on his coverage at certain times but I liked what I saw from his steady play.
I just don't know about the kid right now. He's reminding me of Aaron Rome v2.0. At least with Connauton (sp?) there's offensive upside. I mean hey, he lost a bit of time after being run over by an SUV at last year's TC, but I just didn't see much this year. Hope I'm wrong, of course.

Old
10-01-2011, 03:15 AM
Hammman

vCash: 500
To the people referring to Hodgson's lack of production: remember Kesler's start to the regular season last year?

1 goal, six games. Seems kinda familiar, don't it? If Kesler produced that little, with his regular linemates, as an experienced vet, should we really be up in arms that Hodgson hasn't yet managed to blow us away offensively? Give it time, people.

Old
10-01-2011, 03:27 AM
CRDragon
¯\_(シ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammman View Post
To the people referring to Hodgson's lack of production: remember Kesler's start to the regular season last year?

1 goal, six games. Seems kinda familiar, don't it? If Kesler produced that little, with his regular linemates, as an experienced vet, should we really be up in arms that Hodgson hasn't yet managed to blow us away offensively? Give it time, people.
Kesler =/= Hodgson

Hodgson is not proven. Kesler has already been proven at that point of his career. I believe in Hodgson, I think he won't disappoint us into showing that he is a proven NHL player.

Old
10-01-2011, 03:36 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammman View Post

Not the best comparison. Kesler already had several NHL seasons on his belt, also got to play with several great veterans before he really blossomed.

If Cody plays a full year, this will be his first season. Unless you're looking at a first overall generational talent, players take time to develop, be it a full season or perhaps more.

Old
10-01-2011, 03:57 AM
Hammman

I realize Hodgson isn't fit to be mentioned in the same league as Kesler yet in terms of current skill and experience; I was just pointing out that a lack of production so far (in preseason, with rotating- and usually AHL standard- linemates) is not an indication of a lack of ability to play at this level.

Old
10-01-2011, 03:59 AM
Kagee*

Lets remember Hank/RK17 had a rough start as well!

The twins were regarded as slow soft players who wouldn't amount to nothing with the new faster NHL, and Kesler was regarded as career 3rd line checker for the rest of his career.

BUT they got CHANCES and were allowed to prove themselves over time, I see no differences in how we can develop Hodgson the same way, with patience, and seeing what his strengths/weaknesses are.

Old
10-01-2011, 04:36 AM
jigsaw99

Not liking our 4th line again this year... Volpatti is going to ruin any offensive ability that line is going to have. Can't wait til Pinizotto gets healthy again.

Old
10-01-2011, 04:55 AM
Type Not Specified
Part of the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
I just don't know about the kid right now. He's reminding me of Aaron Rome v2.0. At least with Connauton (sp?) there's offensive upside. I mean hey, he lost a bit of time after being run over by an SUV at last year's TC, but I just didn't see much this year. Hope I'm wrong, of course.
I think it's way too early to proclaim that Sauve doesn't have a "bright future." You're comparing him to Rome and Duco... 2 guys who are both older and don't appear to have more than fringe NHL potential. Neither one would be considered a prospect at this point. Sauve is 21 and going into (hopefully) his first full season in the AHL. He might be a few years away but he's young and the potential is there. We knew he was a bit of a project when we drafted him and the injury last year set him back further.

Old
10-01-2011, 05:13 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
I know what you mean with the Rome comparison. Right now he just needs to continue improving his decision-making and keep working at those simple plays that Bowness loves.

However, with his size and skating I think he has a good chance to become even better than that, and maybe grow into a 2nd pairing guy for us one day. He already has a pretty good outlet pass, and I think we were all pleasantly surprised at how quickly he adapted to the AHL with the Moose - scoring at a 30-point pace over a full season in the minors - and even played 5 games with the big club (albeit with a massive spate of injuries to our D). He did well for himself, going all the way up from the ECHL to the NHL in the same year (a sad fact being he is the 1st and only player who started his pro career as a Salmon King to ever progress that far).

Generally I think his career will probably be built on the strength of simple, safe plays as he's not going to be a flashy, end-to-end puck-rushing type of D-man, but with the ability to make a smart, good pass out of his own end and also the skating ability to become a decent enough 2-way D-man. I've always thought he could project to an Ohlund type of guy who could contribute solidly at both ends.

And I think there's a little bit more offensive potential within him than what we've seen so far. At age 21 I certainly don't think there should be cause for concern or any conclusions being drawn right now. After all, D-men do take the longest to round out and come into their own.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I know what you mean with the Rome comparison. Right now he just needs to continue improving his decision-making and keep working at those simple plays that Bowness loves.

However, with his size and skating I think he has a good chance to become even better than that, and maybe grow into a 2nd pairing guy for us one day. He already has a pretty good outlet pass, and I think we were all pleasantly surprised at how quickly he adapted to the AHL with the Moose - scoring at a 30-point pace over a full season in the minors - and even played 5 games with the big club (albeit with a massive spate of injuries to our D). He did well for himself, going all the way up from the ECHL to the NHL in the same year (a sad fact being he is the 1st and only player who started his pro career as a Salmon King to ever progress that far).

Generally I think his career will probably be built on the strength of simple, safe plays as he's not going to be a flashy, end-to-end puck-rushing type of D-man, but with the ability to make a smart, good pass out of his own end and also the skating ability to become a decent enough 2-way D-man. I've always thought he could project to an Ohlund type of guy who could contribute solidly at both ends.

And I think there's a little bit more offensive potential within him than what we've seen so far. At age 21 I certainly don't think there should be cause for concern or any conclusions being drawn right now. After all, D-men do take the longest to round out and come into their own.
Another thing to keep in mind about Sauve, is that he basically lost his first 3 years of junior in terms of offensive development with Saint John. He learned more in the last year here under Gerard Gallant than he did in 3 years under Jacques Beaulieu. Because of that, there still is some things he can easily improve offensively.

He has a booming shot, but is still learning how to use it properly (he spent 3 years firing almost every shot into shin pads). He is also someone whose offense might look better at the NHL level because nearly every pass he throws is hard.

Everyone knew Yann was going down and this last game should only tell you that it was a stupid idea to call him back up. He needs to work on stuff, and calling him up after you`ve shot his confidence and before he gets to play any games to build it back up isn`t going to help any.

Hopefully, he plays top 4 D for Chicago and is on the PP and PK. He has the kind of shot that you have to watch him on the PP, which makes him valuable even if he doesn`t touch the puck.

Old
10-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Shareefruck

Man, the guys complaining about the 4th line are freaken spoiled. Kesler AND Raymond are injured, people. What do you expect a 4th line of three strong third-liners who would each be in the press-box when we're healthy?

And it has Lapierre on it!

Normally I wouldn't like Volpatti making the team, but it's not like we had much of a choice. He outplayed the other fourth line types.

Old
10-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

I don't hold much hope for Sauve at all, although I think the Rome comparison is just silly.

Rome's only real strengths as a D-man are positioning/gap control and physicality. This is why, despite having well below average puck skills and only average mobility, Rome is able to be a very solid third pairing D-man. His first pass is very poor and his shot isn't very hard.

Sauve is the opposite. His positioning is poor by NHL standards as is his gap control. He does not read the play well down low at all. Hardly ever uses his size/strength to seperate players from the puck and is generally a mouse out there as far as physical play goes, despite his size. His first pass however is good enough and he has a hard, if inaccurate, shot. Sauve has miles to go IMO to be a full time NHL d-man, and I'd say third pairing is his upper limit.

After this camp I don't like the odds of either Sauve or Connauton becoming full time NHLers. Polasek and Erixon remain intriguing though. Those two plus McNally, Corrado and Tommerness are the D prospects I have the most hope for beyond Tanev.

Old
10-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
After this camp I don't like the odds of either Sauve or Connauton becoming full time NHLers. Polasek and Erixon remain intriguing though. Those two plus McNally, Corrado and Tommerness are the D prospects I have the most hope for beyond Tanev.
Craig MacTavish disagrees with your assessment of Kevin Connauton.

“You have a kid with that skill set, a highly intelligent kid, a highly determined kid,” MacTavish said.
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/09...-on-connauton/

Old
10-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post

“You have a kid with that skill set, a highly intelligent kid, a highly determined kid,” MacTavish said.
Connauton has talent but looks so lost in his own zone that it's hard to be optimistic. If MacTavish can help change that then it would be great to be wrong. But after years of following prospects, I've learned to be very skeptical of players who don't show consistent forward progress in their game. The fail rate is too high not to be.

I wouldn't even call either player poor selections necesarily, as they both have the raw tools to be NHL players. I just don't think either one is showing enough to be considered a good bet to make the NHL.

Old
10-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Wetcoaster

The Canucks placed Mark Mancari, Mike Duco and Ryan Parent on waivers on Saturday, with the intention of sending them to their AHL affiliate in Chicago. The waiver period ends on Monday at 9 a.m. PDT.
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2011/10...reseason-game/

Old
10-01-2011, 03:43 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
When I have you on the thread, what does it exactly mean when a player is released?

Old
10-01-2011, 03:50 PM
SomeoneGreat

Duco has to go through waivers?

I feel like this move is going to bite us in the ass eventually...

Old
10-01-2011, 04:03 PM
YogiCanucks

I think our current line up can hold it's own for a month or two.

In before the lock?

Old
10-01-2011, 04:17 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneGreat View Post
Duco has to go through waivers?

I feel like this move is going to bite us in the ass eventually...
Really? Duco's going to be the one that got away?

Also, really happy about Mancari on waivers, should be an excellent asset for the farm team.

Old
10-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:

Its all good then. Connauton et al.. have what it takes and all they need is a little coaching...

Old
10-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
When I have you on the thread, what does it exactly mean when a player is released?
The term released is used to cover a range of actions. Technically it would be a player on a Professional Tryout contract or occasionally it is used for a player under contract who is waived with a view to releasing him or buying out his contract.

For a player under contract the proper term is assigned to another team - usually the AHL affiliate of the NHL team. Some have to clear waivers first before being assigned while others can be assigned directly. In the NHL contracts are guaranteed unlike the NFL.

BTW here is one of the best explanations that I have read regarding the issue of waivers.

Waivers 101: A Guide to the NHL Waiver Rules
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ide-to-the-nhl

Capgeek now has waiver calculator for individual players to determine if they are now waiver eligible.

Old
10-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Quote:

I strongly disagree with MacT on that. To me, he can skate and can shoot the puck but I don't like his decision making or positioning at all. Away from the puck, he's no match for the smart, skilled forwards he'd be up against in the NHL.

Old
10-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Posted this idea earlier

Canucks organizations over the years haven't developed any dmen.

All the ones who made it - eg. Bieksa, Edler, Tanev - did so after a short stint in the AHL ie with very little coaching.

For guys like Connauton and Sauve, good coaching in the AHL appears to be necessary (though not sufficient) for them to make it.

Old
10-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

With camp effectively coming to a close and this thread in excess of 1,000 posts, I'm going to lock this up. Continued discussion of our prospects or farm teams can go to the appropriate threads.

Now bring on the regular season!

Closed.

Closed Thread