HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Drop in Hockey

Old
09-30-2011, 12:12 PM
BowDangles

vCash: 500
Drop in Hockey

Hey Guys,

How busy is drop in hockey in Edmonton around 8:30 on Friday nights?

My concern is my friend is an beginner goaltender and wants to ensure he has his own net for the scrimmage.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Kayen
Dubnykov

Best not go there.
Servus Place in St. Alberta is much better in terms of go
I've only been going Saturdays for the last little bit, but it's less busy and better calibre players.

Typically me and my friend are the only goalies there. Try going tomorrow. I won't be there because i have a beer league game tmr.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 10:09 AM
pikamonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
Best not go there.
Servus Place in St. Alberta is much better in terms of go
I've only been going Saturdays for the last little bit, but it's less busy and better calibre players.

Typically me and my friend are the only goalies there. Try going tomorrow. I won't be there because i have a beer league game tmr.
Hows drop in at servus for brutal players? I have not played for 10 yrs and want to get back into it... (never was good to begin with either lol)

pikamonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikamonk View Post
Hows drop in at servus for brutal players? I have not played for 10 yrs and want to get back into it... (never was good to begin with either lol)
WIDE range of skills, there are some guys who looks like theyve played AA or better, also some people who did start skating until 15-18

if you dont have a membership you cant buy a wrstband until 45 mins before, and sometimes members have taken them all prior to then

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Kayen
Dubnykov

It's not so bad now.
Over the summer we had a few pros come out regularly (Sebastien Bissaillon (anyone remember him? ), Ryan Kinasewich, Ryan Stanton to name a few. As well as a plethora of AHJL and WHL players come out. Met Travis Ewanyk a couple days after the draft at these things.
Now that the season has started they're all gone, but competition is still decent. It's wide but for newbies you shouldn't be too bad. The longer ice time will help out much more.

To anyone who went to Servus at all over the summer, you're guaranteed to have played against me since i was at essentially every drop in ice time they had from May-August.

Old
10-01-2011, 05:54 PM
NoLocus*

What's the cost and average age group for drop in hockey? Is full equipment required, any contact allowed?

NoLocus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Kayen
Dubnykov

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLocus View Post
What's the cost and average age group for drop in hockey? Is full equipment required, any contact allowed?
Anywhere - goalies are free, players are around $8-10 (forgot). Age range can vary, but city of edmonton/millenium place shinny is 16+, so it'll be 16-70 for age range. Servus is 18+ .
Full equipment required, and no contact.

Old
10-01-2011, 06:11 PM
BowDangles

I went to Oliver Arena last night for the drop in with my roommate (the beginner goaltender).

It was all right, was not too pack for players, but there were 5 goaltenders who showed up so they all had to rotate.

The quality of hockey was not very good, hockey fundamentals were just not there. Not very many people knew how to play defense. Reminded me of a pre novice game where everyone just chases the puck...

But we used a free pass giving to us so I can't complain too much..

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 06:17 PM
NoLocus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
Anywhere - goalies are free, players are around $8-10 (forgot). Age range can vary, but city of edmonton/millenium place shinny is 16+, so it'll be 16-70 for age range. Servus is 18+ .
Full equipment required, and no contact.
Thanks.
Found some additional information on the City of Edmonton site, link here if anyone else is interested.

Last edited by NoLocus*: 10-01-2011 at 07:41 PM.
NoLocus* is offline   Reply With Quote