HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"We" vs. "The Flyers"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2011, 09:46 PM
  #51
mja
Negative Creep
 
mja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
The line for "we" is drawn at the point of receiving a ring for a championship. "They" as in the trainers, scouts, players and coaches all receive one, while "we" do not.

Please point me to your name on the Stanley Cup. It must be between Maurice and Henri Richard. Or is it underneath Bobby Clarke? Let me guess, it's right next to Mike Babcock? How about your plethora of Super Bowl Rings? Is your name Tom Brady? Are there any videos of your game winning Grand Slam with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th in the World Series Game 7?

To any organization, you are an insignificant fan, that can be easily replaced. Get some perspective on sports in your life.
All of this is so wrong-headed.

We don't say "we" because we are a part of the team. We say "we" because the team is a part of us.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:26 PM
  #52
sectachrome
Registered User
 
sectachrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
All of this is so wrong-headed.

We don't say "we" because we are a part of the team. We say "we" because the team is a part of us.
This.

I also think the fact that the team plays for your city makes a big difference. Its why I dont understand people that root for teams that are not their home team. To me, the Flyers are "my" team because thats where Im from. I dont have some grandiose delusion that I work for the organization because I bought a t shirt. I say "we" because I am referring to the hockey team and its community from MY city. Anyone who cares so much about this that it actually bothers them to hear someone else say "we" because they have that much pride and passion for their team, is an *******.

sectachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:41 AM
  #53
trigzter
Registered User
 
trigzter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
The line for "we" is drawn at the point of receiving a ring for a championship. "They" as in the trainers, scouts, players and coaches all receive one, while "we" do not.

Please point me to your name on the Stanley Cup. It must be between Maurice and Henri Richard. Or is it underneath Bobby Clarke? Let me guess, it's right next to Mike Babcock? How about your plethora of Super Bowl Rings? Is your name Tom Brady? Are there any videos of your game winning Grand Slam with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th in the World Series Game 7?

To any organization, you are an insignificant fan, that can be easily replaced. Get some perspective on sports in your life.
Hmm. So while you precede to still not make a point. I can still stay we. Its freedom of speech brotha and I personally don't care how you feel or not.

trigzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:48 AM
  #54
97FlyersKing18
Registered User
 
97FlyersKing18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
All of this is so wrong-headed.

We don't say "we" because we are a part of the team. We say "we" because the team is a part of us.
I am glad that you can identify with an entity that represents the city that you live in or the city that you are from, it is good to have a strong bond to your friends, coworkers and family, the most important people in life.

However, the part that still holds me up in this healthy debate is the fact that you and I and nearly everyone on this planet is a part of the Team X FAN community, not a part of the organization that the most talented <0.1% of the population occupies.

I feel that we as fans can legitimately say "we won" in regards to when the Flyers' fan club raises more money than the Rangers' fan club for cancer research or the Flyers' fans fill up 3/4 of the Prudential Center for a Devils home game. In this situation I will give you that, I would think about saying "we won" as Flyers' fans against our division rivals' fans.

The crux of my argument is that we as fans have not earned the right to associate the actual team that we cheer for beating the Rangers in a shootout or going to the Prudential Center and trouncing the Devils ON THE ICE by casually exclaiming "We won!".

The only overlap that is possible between the seemingly mutually exclusive entities of "The Philadelphia Flyers" and "The Philadelphia Flyers FANS" is the case that a Flyers' fan is hired later in life as a member of the organization as an athletic trainer, scout or equipment manager. However, that very talented Philadelphia Flyers' fan will most likely eventually have to leave his fandom outside the Wells Fargo Center each and every day in order to make unbiased business, medical and hockey decisions. How much of a fan would you be if you had to run quantitative analysis for every single player in the organization from morning practice, dryland, video room, pre-game warmups and game events. You would still be a fan of the game of hockey, but would derive an entirely different sensation of satisfaction when the Flyers organization actually did win ON THE ICE because you played a significant role in the building of a champion. Right now, a Flyers' fan that proudly states "we won" is cheating the Flyers organization and wrongfully taking credit and taking zero blame for when the Flyers organization loses. The amount of people on this rock that unconditionally and absolutely LOVE their job is slim to none, just enjoy being a disenfranchised "Flyers' Fan" and let the "Flyers' Organization" do what it does every year, put a highly competitive team on the ice for fans to enjoy and pay their hard earned money to the organizations hefty coffers. As you can see from the amount of arm-chair GMs and coaches on this site and elsewhere, it is pretty obvious that "we" know absolutely nothing when compared to "them".

Just because you are from a certain city and garner all of your accolades from said city in terms of career, family and community organizations, simply being coincidentally born in a city doesn't make you a member of a professional sports organization from that city. There are plenty of people from your fair city that could care less about sports, just as you may not care about the Opera or advocating dog parks or protesting the constant roadwork on the highways. Especially in today's society, where sports fans are able to watch their favorite teams play across the country and even across the pond, regional identity is a thing of the past. Now, a person can be a Rangers fan and Sharks fan in New Orleans, a Packers Fan and Jets fan in Los Angeles or an Angels fan and Phillies fan in Oklahoma City. With fantasy sports becoming mainstream, it isn't unheard of to have Saints' fans cheer when Roddy White scores a TD against them or when Penguins' fans cheer for a Bryzgalov shutout.

Sure, you are a member of the Rotary Club or the Philadelphia Habitat For Humanity, but you are not and never will be a member of the Philadelphia Flyers Phillies, 76ers or Eagles. No matter how many jerseys you buy, games you watch, times you paint your face like a child on Halloween or ask your hero for an autograph that you end up selling on Ebay, you and I and everyone else will still ONLY be a fan.

I am not the Flyers' police and you can do whatever you want because quite frankly I will never meet any of you and be forced to give you a funny look when you refer to yourself as a member of the organization by saying "we won" in a sports bar. I won't have to explain to the children at the restaurant that you really aren't Claude Giroux dressed in his own jersey, but that you are just a sorry man wearing another man's name on his back. It's gonna have to be someone else, most likely someone that you are close with that has to be that guy that breaks the sad news to the deli owner that you aren't Chris Pronger since you don't have your Stanley Cup ring between your gap in your teeth and you can't sign his framed picture of Chris Pronger that he will put next to the "Pronger's Pastrami Pulverizer" on the menu. You looked so convincing in his authentic winter classic jersey with a beer stain across the crest.

I am sorry for typing so much, I feel it is always better to fully explain rationale to rule out misunderstandings instead of leaving a one liner that isn't funny or witty or even factually correct...which is quite rampant on HFboards.

Enjoy the things in life that you can control, don't worry about the things that you have no power to alter, for better or for worse.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 03:03 AM
  #55
97FlyersKing18
Registered User
 
97FlyersKing18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trigzter View Post
Hmm. So while you precede to still not make a point. I can still stay we. Its freedom of speech brotha and I personally don't care how you feel or not.
From that post that you quoted, my point is obvious, YOU didn't win because YOU don't have YOUR name on the Stanley Cup. THEY have Stanley Cup Rings, millions of dollars and endorsement deals because THEY are members of an elite talent club that you and I will never be a part of for millions of reasons.

Enjoy your free speech, I have it as well and will continue to express my stance.

With your fancy free speech, what exactly is YOUR point? What makes it alright for a grown man to say "We won" when he was just an innocent bystander to an event being played by people from small towns in Canada, Slovakia, Russia and Finland. Have some more pride and confidence in yourself, I am sure you are a wonderful person with a bright past and even brighter future. When you and your team at work close on a big business deal because of hard work, YOU won. When your son gets an A on his exam because you studied with him for hours making flashcards and quizzing him instead of watching Dancing With The Stars, YOU won. Shout it from the rooftops winner!

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 03:33 AM
  #56
IAN aka RYAN
Registered User
 
IAN aka RYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Del.Co. PA
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I really don't get why this bothers people.

I view it as one city versus another city. I'm a Philadelphian. If the Philadelphia Flyers win, I think "we won". That doesn't mean I think I'm on the team, or the organization. That's retarded.
I look at this the same way.. its not that I or anyone who uses the word "we" as being apart of the team or structure of the organization, but as the City of Philadelphia's Hockey team. The Flyers. Our team beat your team. It is "our" team. So "We" fits as a short way of saying the "Philadelphia" Flyers. In a sense it's the team we root for, the team we buy merchandise from. Our homr team. Now its not essentially "our" team but it is the one we follow. So we dont own it but its ours. Same with the "we". Get over it. Its more a figure of speech than anything. Im sure anyone using We does not actually think he or she is a part of the actual team.

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 03:42 AM
  #57
IAN aka RYAN
Registered User
 
IAN aka RYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Del.Co. PA
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
The line is drawn in that all of those people, EXCEPT the fans receive a paycheck from the organization. Athletic trainers are a part of the organization because they ensure the product (the players) is in tip-top shape, just as the coaches make sure the players are prepared before a performance and the GM/scouts bring together players to the organization. Heck, the cotton candy man from Istanbul that has no idea what a puck is is far closer to "we" than even the most die-hard fan. With the current economic pitfalls of this country, we all know that a heavy majority of attendance at sporting events in today's society are corporation men that couldn't have an intellectual conversation debating the effectiveness of Scott Hartnell or Roy Halliday's Cy Young resume or could even tell you who Brian Westbrook is.

Plain and simple, don't say "we" unless you actually impact the game. Do fans score goals, make heroic saves, or fight men the size of black bears? The momentum that fans "create" is only effective if the players on the ice take advantage of opportunities to score or make a big hit. Otherwise, it is just white noise from fans that know next to nothing about the game clamoring for a quick shot on a 5on3 or cheering a big hit while the other team goes the other way on a 2on1. "They" are professional athletes that have earned the exclusive right to not being lumped into the same category as "us". With enough dedication, you can teach nearly anyone on this planet financial accounting, biology, or history, but you cannot teach a 5'3 145lb man how to be 6'4 225lbs power forward with the skill to overpower a defender and roof a 90MPH slapshot from the top of the circle.

How would you feel if you were a brain surgeon that broke through and discovered a decades worth of research and everyone at the University you worked at took credit, including the Sorostitute with a 1.6 GPA and only cared about Kim Kardashian, Lady Gaga and tailgating before a football game stated to her friends at another college "We like made...um like a huge like...um discovery at the chemistry lab."

Get some perspective people.
The Jersey you wear is who you play for. The people who you play for. WE is that city you play for. Its that simple. It's used to generalize a team/fan base. Not individuals who participate. Its that simple and any overdrawn conclusion about how people think they are the actual team is a stretch and does not relate to anything you said.

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:47 AM
  #58
Slowbro
Registered User
 
Slowbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
you don't refer to your local bank as we. you don't refer to your local supermarket as we. why would you think its okay to refer to your local sports team as we?

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 04:48 AM
  #59
Slowbro
Registered User
 
Slowbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN aka RYAN View Post
The Jersey you wear is who you play for. The people who you play for. WE is that city you play for. Its that simple. It's used to generalize a team/fan base. Not individuals who participate. Its that simple and any overdrawn conclusion about how people think they are the actual team is a stretch and does not relate to anything you said.
they are the ones winning though. not us.. or we.

could you imagine how offended a player would be if you approached him and said "MAN, WE REALLY BEAT UP ON THOSE CANUCKS IN THE STANLEY CUP FINAL, HUH? WE PLAYED AWESOME THAT SERIES"

more directed at previous posters:
the players play for the love of the game/money/to win the cup. they may develop a connection with the city they reside and play in for a number of years, ie: modano or sakic, but to think they don't play for the contract/money/personal gain is naive.


Last edited by Slowbro: 10-01-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 07:24 AM
  #60
mja
Negative Creep
 
mja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
I am glad that you can identify with an entity that represents the city that you live in...

I am sorry for typing so much, I feel it is always better to fully explain rationale to rule out misunderstandings instead of leaving a one liner that isn't funny or witty or even factually correct...which is quite rampant on HFboards.

Enjoy the things in life that you can control, don't worry about the things that you have no power to alter, for better or for worse.
You've overanalyzed this. May I again suggest that it is you who lacks perspective?

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 07:46 AM
  #61
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity
 
ChumpyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Country: Sami
Posts: 2,722
vCash: 500
Wow. Whole lotta brain power and typing time put into ths here donnybrook.

How about this? The folks who wanna say "we" when referring to the Flyers get to say "we", and the folks who think that's presumptuous and what not get to say "the flyers" when referring to the Flyers. Problem solved.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 08:11 AM
  #62
mja
Negative Creep
 
mja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triqsix View Post
they are the ones winning though. not us.. or we.

could you imagine how offended a player would be if you approached him and said "MAN, WE REALLY BEAT UP ON THOSE CANUCKS IN THE STANLEY CUP FINAL, HUH? WE PLAYED AWESOME THAT SERIES"
Wow, you've really got a point there...except for the fact that none of us would ****ing do that.

We say "we" in the context of our fellow fans, not as members of the ****ing team. Is this really that hard to figure out? For ****'s sake!

Also if you think rooting for a sports team your entire life is in any way equivalent to shopping at your local supermarket or banking at your local bank then I fear for your "fandom".

The fact of the matter is that we make an enormous emotional investment in being sports fans, and many of us make enormous financial investments. Being a sports fan is so much a completely unique experience, that it isn't equivalent to anything, and any attempt to equate it to anything is futile. It causes grown men to jump up and down screaming and/or break down crying like little girls. It rallies 2+ million people together in a shared sense of identity when otherwise they merely share geography. After a win the city hums with excitement and after a loss it sings the blues. Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, Sixers, these are our teams and this is why we say "we", not because we are suffering some delusion that it is us that is scoring the goal, throwing the TD, hitting the HR, or making the winning shot.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 08:56 AM
  #63
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
I am glad that you can identify with an entity that represents the city that you live in or the city that you are from, it is good to have a strong bond to your friends, coworkers and family, the most important people in life.

However, the part that still holds me up in this healthy debate is the fact that you and I and nearly everyone on this planet is a part of the Team X FAN community, not a part of the organization that the most talented <0.1% of the population occupies.

I feel that we as fans can legitimately say "we won" in regards to when the Flyers' fan club raises more money than the Rangers' fan club for cancer research or the Flyers' fans fill up 3/4 of the Prudential Center for a Devils home game. In this situation I will give you that, I would think about saying "we won" as Flyers' fans against our division rivals' fans.

The crux of my argument is that we as fans have not earned the right to associate the actual team that we cheer for beating the Rangers in a shootout or going to the Prudential Center and trouncing the Devils ON THE ICE by casually exclaiming "We won!".

The only overlap that is possible between the seemingly mutually exclusive entities of "The Philadelphia Flyers" and "The Philadelphia Flyers FANS" is the case that a Flyers' fan is hired later in life as a member of the organization as an athletic trainer, scout or equipment manager. However, that very talented Philadelphia Flyers' fan will most likely eventually have to leave his fandom outside the Wells Fargo Center each and every day in order to make unbiased business, medical and hockey decisions. How much of a fan would you be if you had to run quantitative analysis for every single player in the organization from morning practice, dryland, video room, pre-game warmups and game events. You would still be a fan of the game of hockey, but would derive an entirely different sensation of satisfaction when the Flyers organization actually did win ON THE ICE because you played a significant role in the building of a champion. Right now, a Flyers' fan that proudly states "we won" is cheating the Flyers organization and wrongfully taking credit and taking zero blame for when the Flyers organization loses. The amount of people on this rock that unconditionally and absolutely LOVE their job is slim to none, just enjoy being a disenfranchised "Flyers' Fan" and let the "Flyers' Organization" do what it does every year, put a highly competitive team on the ice for fans to enjoy and pay their hard earned money to the organizations hefty coffers. As you can see from the amount of arm-chair GMs and coaches on this site and elsewhere, it is pretty obvious that "we" know absolutely nothing when compared to "them".

Just because you are from a certain city and garner all of your accolades from said city in terms of career, family and community organizations, simply being coincidentally born in a city doesn't make you a member of a professional sports organization from that city. There are plenty of people from your fair city that could care less about sports, just as you may not care about the Opera or advocating dog parks or protesting the constant roadwork on the highways. Especially in today's society, where sports fans are able to watch their favorite teams play across the country and even across the pond, regional identity is a thing of the past. Now, a person can be a Rangers fan and Sharks fan in New Orleans, a Packers Fan and Jets fan in Los Angeles or an Angels fan and Phillies fan in Oklahoma City. With fantasy sports becoming mainstream, it isn't unheard of to have Saints' fans cheer when Roddy White scores a TD against them or when Penguins' fans cheer for a Bryzgalov shutout.

Sure, you are a member of the Rotary Club or the Philadelphia Habitat For Humanity, but you are not and never will be a member of the Philadelphia Flyers Phillies, 76ers or Eagles. No matter how many jerseys you buy, games you watch, times you paint your face like a child on Halloween or ask your hero for an autograph that you end up selling on Ebay, you and I and everyone else will still ONLY be a fan.

I am not the Flyers' police and you can do whatever you want because quite frankly I will never meet any of you and be forced to give you a funny look when you refer to yourself as a member of the organization by saying "we won" in a sports bar. I won't have to explain to the children at the restaurant that you really aren't Claude Giroux dressed in his own jersey, but that you are just a sorry man wearing another man's name on his back. It's gonna have to be someone else, most likely someone that you are close with that has to be that guy that breaks the sad news to the deli owner that you aren't Chris Pronger since you don't have your Stanley Cup ring between your gap in your teeth and you can't sign his framed picture of Chris Pronger that he will put next to the "Pronger's Pastrami Pulverizer" on the menu. You looked so convincing in his authentic winter classic jersey with a beer stain across the crest.

I am sorry for typing so much, I feel it is always better to fully explain rationale to rule out misunderstandings instead of leaving a one liner that isn't funny or witty or even factually correct...which is quite rampant on HFboards.

Enjoy the things in life that you can control, don't worry about the things that you have no power to alter, for better or for worse.
No way anybody read that

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 10:07 AM
  #64
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
No way anybody read that
Ha. No way. why the hell would you write that?

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:07 AM
  #65
RJNSmith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Brotherly Love
Country: United States
Posts: 262
vCash: 500
There is actually debate over this?

Sometimes I say " The Flyers" but I see no problem saying "Yeah we lost" or "We won."

I swear people debate over the dumbest ****, and thats why I'm hardly on these forums.

RJNSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:19 AM
  #66
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dry Island
Posts: 9,767
vCash: 500
yeah I didn't read that because I don't care all that much about this topic. However, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

For those who want to say *The Flyers*, that's cool.

For those who want to say *we*, that's cool, too.

What's not cool is *that guy* who is on the high horse telling other what's acceptable and giving lectures on perspective (which is funny because *that guy* has wasted a plethora of time on this petty and insignificant subject. It's just sports after all, so have some perspective and instead of wasting time on this... why not go do something constructive like save some stamps).

What may be right for you, 97FlyersKing18, may not be right for some.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:42 AM
  #67
trigzter
Registered User
 
trigzter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
whats funny is how many people have a problem with people saying we. It's one word, and we have a person here posting essays on why none of us can say it. clearly some people need to open their minds

trigzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:24 PM
  #68
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,968
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Wow. Whole lotta brain power and typing time put into ths here donnybrook.

How about this? The folks who wanna say "we" when referring to the Flyers get to say "we", and the folks who think that's presumptuous and what not get to say "the flyers" when referring to the Flyers. Problem solved.
Haha. Yeah there really is no "right" or "wrong" answer. I say we and the Flyers. Some people will never say we, others will never say the Flyers. In the end, who cares?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 03:15 PM
  #69
InTentsProductions*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post
I am glad that you can identify with an entity that represents the city that you live in or the city that you are from, it is good to have a strong bond to your friends, coworkers and family, the most important people in life.

However, the part that still holds me up in this healthy debate is the fact that you and I and nearly everyone on this planet is a part of the Team X FAN community, not a part of the organization that the most talented <0.1% of the population occupies.

I feel that we as fans can legitimately say "we won" in regards to when the Flyers' fan club raises more money than the Rangers' fan club for cancer research or the Flyers' fans fill up 3/4 of the Prudential Center for a Devils home game. In this situation I will give you that, I would think about saying "we won" as Flyers' fans against our division rivals' fans.

The crux of my argument is that we as fans have not earned the right to associate the actual team that we cheer for beating the Rangers in a shootout or going to the Prudential Center and trouncing the Devils ON THE ICE by casually exclaiming "We won!".

The only overlap that is possible between the seemingly mutually exclusive entities of "The Philadelphia Flyers" and "The Philadelphia Flyers FANS" is the case that a Flyers' fan is hired later in life as a member of the organization as an athletic trainer, scout or equipment manager. However, that very talented Philadelphia Flyers' fan will most likely eventually have to leave his fandom outside the Wells Fargo Center each and every day in order to make unbiased business, medical and hockey decisions. How much of a fan would you be if you had to run quantitative analysis for every single player in the organization from morning practice, dryland, video room, pre-game warmups and game events. You would still be a fan of the game of hockey, but would derive an entirely different sensation of satisfaction when the Flyers organization actually did win ON THE ICE because you played a significant role in the building of a champion. Right now, a Flyers' fan that proudly states "we won" is cheating the Flyers organization and wrongfully taking credit and taking zero blame for when the Flyers organization loses. The amount of people on this rock that unconditionally and absolutely LOVE their job is slim to none, just enjoy being a disenfranchised "Flyers' Fan" and let the "Flyers' Organization" do what it does every year, put a highly competitive team on the ice for fans to enjoy and pay their hard earned money to the organizations hefty coffers. As you can see from the amount of arm-chair GMs and coaches on this site and elsewhere, it is pretty obvious that "we" know absolutely nothing when compared to "them".

Just because you are from a certain city and garner all of your accolades from said city in terms of career, family and community organizations, simply being coincidentally born in a city doesn't make you a member of a professional sports organization from that city. There are plenty of people from your fair city that could care less about sports, just as you may not care about the Opera or advocating dog parks or protesting the constant roadwork on the highways. Especially in today's society, where sports fans are able to watch their favorite teams play across the country and even across the pond, regional identity is a thing of the past. Now, a person can be a Rangers fan and Sharks fan in New Orleans, a Packers Fan and Jets fan in Los Angeles or an Angels fan and Phillies fan in Oklahoma City. With fantasy sports becoming mainstream, it isn't unheard of to have Saints' fans cheer when Roddy White scores a TD against them or when Penguins' fans cheer for a Bryzgalov shutout.

Sure, you are a member of the Rotary Club or the Philadelphia Habitat For Humanity, but you are not and never will be a member of the Philadelphia Flyers Phillies, 76ers or Eagles. No matter how many jerseys you buy, games you watch, times you paint your face like a child on Halloween or ask your hero for an autograph that you end up selling on Ebay, you and I and everyone else will still ONLY be a fan.

I am not the Flyers' police and you can do whatever you want because quite frankly I will never meet any of you and be forced to give you a funny look when you refer to yourself as a member of the organization by saying "we won" in a sports bar. I won't have to explain to the children at the restaurant that you really aren't Claude Giroux dressed in his own jersey, but that you are just a sorry man wearing another man's name on his back. It's gonna have to be someone else, most likely someone that you are close with that has to be that guy that breaks the sad news to the deli owner that you aren't Chris Pronger since you don't have your Stanley Cup ring between your gap in your teeth and you can't sign his framed picture of Chris Pronger that he will put next to the "Pronger's Pastrami Pulverizer" on the menu. You looked so convincing in his authentic winter classic jersey with a beer stain across the crest.

I am sorry for typing so much, I feel it is always better to fully explain rationale to rule out misunderstandings instead of leaving a one liner that isn't funny or witty or even factually correct...which is quite rampant on HFboards.

Enjoy the things in life that you can control, don't worry about the things that you have no power to alter, for better or for worse.
how much can would it cost to hire you as a motivational speaker

InTentsProductions* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 07:19 PM
  #70
97FlyersKing18
Registered User
 
97FlyersKing18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTentsProductions View Post
how much can would it cost to hire you as a motivational speaker
Haha my speech is free remember!

I am sorry for writing pages and pages, I am sorry that I can string sentences together and form paragraphs that some people may not like to read. It is your call to read it or not, but I would be shocked if you were not hit with knowledge after reading my posts in general and my hockey analysis in particular. Generally I type when I am doing other things, like listen to music or watch a game.

How much time do people have to actually quote my big document, only to tell me that they won't read it...talk about a loser with no life eh?

I am just trying to spread the word, as I recently took a step back from sports and realized that there are so many more important things...such as family, friends and a career. If there was a sudden ban on fans attending games following the Simmonds incident in London, and every team was forced to play in empty stadiums all year, they would do just as well or poorly when compared to playing in front of 20,000 bumbling drunk hooligans. "We" are meaningless to "them".

Why not take all of the money that we waste on sports for extremely short-lived satisfaction and spend it on bettering our lot in this tough economy by going to Graduate School or taking the kids to the park instead of watching the game eating bon-bons. I am currently doing the selfless act of coaching a children's ice hockey team, which is very rewarding when the players succeed...despite the fact I have no weekends which means I miss most of the NFL and NCAA games, something that I couldn't imagine sacrificing only a year ago. Nothing is better than volunteering my time to help others in need.

Even if you don't like as a poster or personally, for whatever reason, it is important to understand that your identity is more than a Philadelphia Flyers fan. In general, when stupid immature people combine with alcohol, sports bring out the darkness in people, as seen from personal grudges and flagrant gang fighting. Get a grip, it's only sports, it's not like it's life or death.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 08:03 PM
  #71
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,901
vCash: 500
I think "we" sounds really dumb. Rendell uses it all the time on Eagles pre game and post game shows and he looks and sounds like a doof doing it. And also there's the fact that it's just not accurate.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 08:43 PM
  #72
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97FlyersKing18 View Post

I am just trying to spread the word, as I recently took a step back from sports and realized that there are so many more important things...such as family, friends and a career. If there was a sudden ban on fans attending games following the Simmonds incident in London, and every team was forced to play in empty stadiums all year, they would do just as well or poorly when compared to playing in front of 20,000 bumbling drunk hooligans. "We" are meaningless to "them".

Why not take all of the money that we waste on sports for extremely short-lived satisfaction and spend it on bettering our lot in this tough economy by going to Graduate School or taking the kids to the park instead of watching the game eating bon-bons. I am currently doing the selfless act of coaching a children's ice hockey team, which is very rewarding when the players succeed...despite the fact I have no weekends which means I miss most of the NFL and NCAA games, something that I couldn't imagine sacrificing only a year ago. Nothing is better than volunteering my time to help others in need.

Even if you don't like as a poster or personally, for whatever reason, it is important to understand that your identity is more than a Philadelphia Flyers fan. In general, when stupid immature people combine with alcohol, sports bring out the darkness in people, as seen from personal grudges and flagrant gang fighting. Get a grip, it's only sports, it's not like it's life or death.
I wrote out a huge reply to this, but you know what. You are not worth arguing with. That comment is the single most retarded thing I have ever seen on a sports forum no less.

What I disagree with is "supporting" two different teams entirely. How is that even possible. Get a grip.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 01:00 AM
  #73
97FlyersKing18
Registered User
 
97FlyersKing18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I wrote out a huge reply to this, but you know what. You are not worth arguing with. That comment is the single most retarded thing I have ever seen on a sports forum no less.

What I disagree with is "supporting" two different teams entirely. How is that even possible. Get a grip.
I see, now you are the "tough guy" that's too cool to respond to my posts like a real man would, but took the time to write up an elegant response to my post...and decided to instead just type you wouldn't respond to my post. Why not just you know...not respond to my post? Why do you have to let everyone else know that you wasted your own valuable time to respond to my post, then deleted it...just to spite me and my OPINION. Sounds like a really fun Saturday night scrub.

I can support different teams that rarely play each other, we have already gone over that. I chose the Flyers 10 years ago because I actually liked the way that they have played the sport that I love first and foremost. Now that I am back living in Los Angeles, it is easy for me to watch 82 Kings games with my friends and family. It is a new challenge for me to scout the Kings and formulate my own report on the players in the organization. I have extensive knowledge of the game and enjoy watching good hockey, no matter the teams playing on the ice. Are you such a staunch Flyers' fan that you can't enjoy a good hockey game between the heated rivals Capitals and Penguins with the 2 best players in the game? I am not the scrub that actually associates himself with the accomplishments of the team from the city that I am from or reside in. I am a Lakers' fan, but I don't go parading around acting as if I am an actual member of the greatest organization in the last 10 years with a 3-peat ring and my picture with Shaq and Kobe. I am a Cleveland Browns fan, but I don't go around in my Josh Cribbs jersey bobbing and weaving through traffic like I am taking a Kickoff to the house. I don't wear my Dodgers' lid and expect to hear walk-out music at Chavez Ravine.

By your rationale, how can you be a fan of a team from a city that you are not currently in? How can you have two identities, one from Philadelphia and one from across the pond? You must be so special that your own "rules" don't apply to your own life.

Do you have that sad of an existence that you have to latch onto the gaudy accomplishments of grown men that you have never met and in turn most likely hope to never meet you? Do you realize that professional athletes dislike "that guy" and won't sign your autograph if you look like a pedophile? Do you still dress up in your Eric Lindros jersey after day care and pretend like you scored the final goal in Game 7 OT with your roller blades before your mommy calls you in for Spongebob Kraft dinner? How exactly is the success of a sports franchise relevant to your life? Do you get millions of dollars when they win like the actual members of the organization do in the form of performance based bonuses? Do you get a new job in the form of a promotion from WHL scout to AHL scout when they win? Do your kids get a scholarship when they win?

I didn't think so, it looks like the only positive you get is "bragging rights"...congrats, you can verbally destroy an Islanders' fan that's the CEO of a Fortune 500 Company, on the board of the EPA and created a charity for blind kids in Uganda. Let's not forget about his vacation house in the Hamptons and 3 sons on academic and athletic scholarships at Yale. But you got him really good when you told him that the Islanders suck that one time at Wells Fargo Center after you dumped your beer on his 7 year old grandson because he cheered when Tavares scored! I bet it felt really good when that one guy with the Flyers Orange and Black face paint that lives in a van down by the river and has his own last name #1 Fan on his back laughed at your joke when you told off that Penguins' fan at the SuperMarket when you said they should have moved to Kansas City because they went bankrupt. Get a grip on reality fool and create your own identity without defrauding the ones you so admire.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 02:57 AM
  #74
97FlyersKing18
Registered User
 
97FlyersKing18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
I never once said MY life is better than YOUR life, I figured that the average reading comprehension level on this board immediately caught the outlandishly blessed CEO Islanders' fan, over the top childhood dreamer and #1 Fanboy as purely hypothetical characters not based upon real life events. I am sure you have accomplished a great deal during your time and will continue to prosper in whatever way you perceive success.

I seriously am looking for flaws in the "The Flyers" argument in this debate, given that the overwelmingly obvious line is drawn at the point of receiving a check for your services from the organization as the determining criteria of actually associating yourself with the organization. Besides the insurmountable talent gap and genetic codes, the paycheck is a clear and tangible distinction between "them" and "us" that everyone on this board should have the intelligence to understand.

But in all honesty, if you can't respond to my posts for whatever reason, why tell everyone that I am not worth your valuable time...despite the fact that you typed to everyone that you did in fact previously waste your time writing a "huge" counter to my stance only to not post your glorious retort. I am not worthy of your time, even the most wasted time, yet you try continue to debate with me?

The final nail in the "we" stance's coffin and the Knockout Win for the "The Flyers" stance is the simple (hypothetical) interaction between players and fans detailed below:

You, a proud grown man Flyers' fan since birth, encounter Danny Briere and Claude Giroux at the local Bed Bath and Beyond as they search for new toothbrush holders for "their" home. Upon shaking off the nerves of being a few feet from your idols in the checkout line, you muster up enough nerve to state "We really appreciate all of your hard work and dedication on making the Power Play better this year."

How do you think they would react? How would they dissect the words "We"? Would Danny say "Thank you sir, we could really use your analysis in the stats department to improve our overload set" and would Claude chime in with "I think that is a swell idea Daniel, this guy is a major asset to our organization"?

I guarantee that they, with years of similar real life interactions under the belts, would correctly interpret the "we" as the "Philadelphia Flyers' fanbase", not as "The Philadelphia Flyers organization". The people within the organization do not view "us" as a sub-group of their elite population, but rather as a separate mutually exclusive set.

As I have stated before, it is not fair to the players and professional sports organization that we look up to as role-models to be lumped in with the other mostly good, some bad and a rotten few ugly 700,000 Flyers fans' on this planet.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 03:28 AM
  #75
Murphy7
Drop the puck
 
Murphy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country:
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Back in the early days of cable TV, a now-defunct financial channel broadcast sports on the weekends and there was a straight-laced talk host who would disconnect people when they said "We" or "What do you think about...?" It was humorous.
FNN Score was the best. Used to pirate satellite signal and cut into games. Wasn't that guy Ron Barr? And they had Time Out For Trivia, and the betting show with "The One 2 Turn 2."

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.