HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: 5-1 We are doomed! Let's tank!!

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Andy

vCash: 500
Habs dominated the game.

Campoli and Diaz bring mobility on the back-end which has been the Habs' biggest problem in teh last two years. Also, they bring puck movement.

The transition game simply put to shame Boucher's 1-3-1 system. The habs were just too fast. They were flying through the neutral zone. The puck was out of the defensive zone within 1-2 passes MAX.

I think we're one more mobile minute-eating defensemen away from being a big contender.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Big props to Gorges for sticking up for a teammate.

Oh, and I keep reading that Malone mocked Campoli after the hit/fight? What exactly happened? I must have missed it.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I think people are concerned that we may have lost a top-4 defenceman to concussion and another needs stitches. "We completely dominated" doesn't compensate for that, nor will Malone not playing for five or ten or fifty games compensate us for that.
Still doesn't change the fact that the lightning were completely dominated. Whiners have been on this team's case for the last two weeks because of the losses in pre-season. Tonight they gave people very little to talk about. It was a near perfect game. Tampa simply couldn't outmatch our speed and transition game.

The habs can outplay any given team on any given night with their system and personnel. Speed at forward and puckmovement from the back end is lethal.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:25 PM
HF-Addict

I really liked diaz game tonight. He is better than Yemelin imo at least for the past two ganes.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Mike8

I wonder if Martin is no longer an inept, but rather a terrific coach. Since the team was gelling and all in preseason.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:26 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Oh, and I keep reading that Malone mocked Campoli after the hit/fight? What exactly happened? I must have missed it.
He raised a hand in what could easily look like a mocking salute. Whether it actually was, I have no idea.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Habs dominated the game.

Campoli and Diaz bring mobility on the back-end which has been the Habs' biggest problem in teh last two years. Also, they bring puck movement.

The transition game simply put to shame Boucher's 1-3-1 system. The habs were just too fast. They were flying through the neutral zone. The puck was out of the defensive zone within 1-2 passes MAX.

I think we're one more mobile minute-eating defensemen away from being a big contender.
Yemelin? I know what you meant, but replace Spacek with Yemelin and we have a winning defense. Provided Campoli is good to go:

Gill - Subban
Campoli - Gorges
Yemelin - Diaz

Not much of a shot-blocking presence as in the past, but that was expected with the departure of Hamrlik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18
I think he raised his hand like he thought Campoli was faking it or something.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I wonder if Martin is no longer an inept, but rather a terrific coach. Since the team was gelling and all in preseason.
Man, the habs played the system tonight to a T.

Very impressive. They meant business tonight. They outsakted and outworked the Lightning.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:27 PM
canadiens1992

It's not about having a tough guy.

It's about having a tough team.

The tough guy would probably be on the bench while that play develops and then Malone was sent off. He can't do anything.

Having a tough team: 3-4 last years of flyers(not as much this year IMO) and the bruins are a good example because there is almost always a tough guy on the ice to protect the other players "in case" anything happens. Take a run at Krejci? Lucic shows up. Take a run at Bergeron? Chara shows up. Try to take Seguin out? Thornton shows up. When playing those teams, there isn't really a chance to take a cheap shot or to play on the edge without having the whole team smoke you.

That's my two cents.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Mike8

By the way: the last time a similar hit was made on a Montreal Canadien that I recall (and, these types of hits were made popular by Downie on McAmmond, I believe) ... was Colby Armstrong on Saku Koivu. Souray was on the ice and pounded a turtling Armstrong. Didn't deter Armstrong from pulling such shenanigans in the future, though, and it didn't prevent him from targeting Montreal's captain on that night.

So those of you turning this Malone hit into some call-for-a-goon, well, I'd say you're misguided.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
Do you think Boston would just stand around their crease and watch someone knock Thomas over? Of course not.
Boston grits didn't help them prevent career-threatening injuries to Savard and Bergeron. They have been far from immune to cheap shots.

Hey, one could even say that by their style of playing, they actual tend to attract them?

Old
10-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiens1992 View Post

The tough guy would probably be on the bench while that play develops and then Malone was sent off. He can't do anything.

Having a tough team: 3-4 last years of flyers(not as much this year IMO) and the bruins are a good example because there is almost always a tough guy on the ice to protect the other players "in case" anything happens. Take a run at Krejci? Lucic shows up. Take a run at Bergeron? Chara shows up. Try to take Seguin out? Thornton shows up. When playing those teams, there isn't really a chance to take a cheap shot or to play on the edge without having the whole team smoke you.

That's my two cents.
Uhm... the Flyers and Bruins have been recipients of more cheapshots than Montreal over the last few seasons--particularly cheap shots resulting in injuries.

Old
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
1st time I saw PK play live, and man, was he worth the price of entry.
PK was terribad tonight. A couple of moonwalks but no effort and tons of giveaways. It's like he had 2 or 3 things better to do than skate in a preseason game

Old
MathMan

Quote:

That's my two cents.
The Bruins keep being brought up as an example and I can't fathom why. Over the last few years the Bruins have lost Bergeron, Savard, and Krejci to headshots.

Their way doesn't seem to work all that well as a deterrent.

Old
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Yemelin? I know what you meant, but replace Spacek with Yemelin and we have a winning defense. Provided Campoli is good to go:

Gill - Subban
Campoli - Gorges
Yemelin - Diaz

Not much of a shot-blocking presence as in the past, but that was expected with the departure of Hamrlik.
There will be some tough decisions when Markov comes back.

Markov Spacek? Diaz? Yemelin?
Gill Subban
Campoli Gorges

I would love to add a good eating-minute top 4 next to Markov. Can Yemelin or Diaz be that guy? I don't think so...not right now at least.

It's too bad Brewer got signed with the Bolts...he would have been PERFECT.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:

That's my two cents.
Well sure, but every team wants a Lucic, or Chara regardless. I'd definitely take Chris Neil on this team, but these guys are hard to find without giving up other assets.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:31 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

That's my two cents.
So who showed up when Bergeron got his neck broken and Savard got his brain scrambled? How did "team toughness" prevent those cheapshots?

This is such a played out and flat-out wrong argument I can't believe people still cling to it.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:33 PM
canadiens1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Uhm... the Flyers and Bruins have been recipients of more cheapshots than Montreal over the last few seasons--particularly cheap shots resulting in injuries.
Those usually happen from escalating emotions due to big hits throughout the game. But it's still wrong.

I just don't see it happening for no reason like tonight where one player (Malone) just decided to have Campoli's head.

But I hope you understand my point that it's not about one tough guy, it's about a tough team. Habs have "team toughness". They are frustrating to play against, they stick up for each other, but the size and grit isn't always there for everyone to get to do that and actually make the other team think twice before doing that.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:33 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
PK was terribad tonight. A couple of moonwalks but no effort and tons of giveaways. It's like he had 2 or 3 things better to do than skate in a preseason game
That's the irony. He's a show by himself even when playing sub-SuPar

Old
10-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Those usually happen from escalating emotions due to big hits throughout the game. But it's still wrong.

I just don't see it happening for no reason like tonight where one player (Malone) just decided to have Campoli's head.

But I hope you understand my point that it's not about one tough guy, it's about a tough team. Habs have "team toughness". They are frustrating to play against, they stick up for each other, but the size and grit isn't always there for everyone to get to do that and actually make the other team think twice before doing that.

lol their dirty hits are because of big hits and us its because were soft? LOL stop grasping at straws

Old
10-01-2011, 09:35 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
LOL @ Kostitsyn skating across the ice to hit Downie for no apparent reason.
What? Can you go into more details I'm laughing at the thought of this.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:36 PM
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
So all the other players who got suspended did what they did because the other team has zero enforcers?

Man what a weak league.

Sorry, nothing is going to stop you from being an idiot and targeting the head.

Good for Gorges for standing up. But I'm not going to cry for an enforcer. Find me a guy who can score goals and still be an enforcer.. then we might be talking, but how rare are those?..

I don't want a guy who will spend 4 minutes of ice time.
its gonna take a lot more than one preseason until players get the message.more like 10 years.it will start with minor hockey an go from there.these guys have played this way all they re life .it ll be at least another generation befor players stop this kinda stuff.

Old
Protest the Hero

Hits happen at such a quick pace nowadays that I don't think guys even have a chance to "think twice" about a hit they're about to make. Then you have guys like Downie who have anger problems inside/outside the rink, you even bump into these guys and it sets them off.

Old
neofury*

The cheap shot teams tend to get team shot themselves the most. That's the only correlation I can find between gooning it up and injuries. That if you do it opponents are less likely to feel remorseful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
What? Can you go into more details I'm laughing at the thought of this.
Basically in the middle of a play where neither Kostitsyn nor Downie were near the puck Kosty skated from one side of the rink to the other and hit Downie. Downie got pissed and a scuffle ensued but the refs broke it up even after they both dropped the gloves

Old
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Man, I didn't expect that when I created the main board thread.

Already 10 pages in less than an hour...

Closed Thread