HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official Gomez thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
^ @ lafleurs guy

what he's saying, is that a lot of people keep regurgitating gomez sucks, 35 points, 7 million, bla bla bla like a campaign ****ing slogan without backing it up with facts, numbers, or just plain logic.

yelling the same thing over and over again without explaining your reasoning behind it, is retarded.
Sometimes though, things are as they appear. There's no point in explaining that water is wet... it just is. I don't blame anyone for saying that Gomez sucked last year because... well, he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
my favorite last year was: "Gomez ****ing sucks! bury his ass in hamilton and let desharnais take over his spot, he can do better than 35 points" (sometimes they'll even add the fact that desharnais had 45 odd pro-rated points last season, as if that helps their case).

this statement proves four things: one, they don't watch the games. two, listen to l'antichambre too much. three, don't know that players slump, they're not robots. and four, don't pay attention to details.

most fans are reactionary anyways so it'll never change, but hey, one can hope
I'm more interested in Gomez changing than the fans changing. If Gomez improves, I'm sure the fans will get behind him. But it's up to him to do this.

Old
09-28-2011, 08:15 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
He's a Calder trophy winner, has played in the all star game and not because he was voted in either, has had 4 x 70+ point seasons, 4 x ~60pt seasons. He has one bad season playing with a plug and suddenly it's more acceptable around these parts to just assume a 32 year old vet who has always played at around the ~60pt level or greater is suddenly going to fall off... than it is to just assume he'll bounce back after having ONE bad season?

I don't disagree about your assessment of the fact that he won't carry a team by himself. But for starters I won't forget a 2x cup + 1 x calder trophy + all star appearances and all the stats I just linked. Secondly I won't just assume because he had one bad season that he'll never bounce back, is washed up, blah blah blah.

I never put an unrealistic expectation on Gomez. Saying Gomez will bounce back isn't an unrealistic expectation. Saying he won't bounce back is imo. Sorry but 9 seasons versus 1... nuff said really.

Not to mention in his career he's played for the all star team 4x... is that not an all star caliber player having played half of his prime on the all star team? Again not saying he's going to put up 80 points carry the team etc but he's done enough in his career to merit calling him a star. He's also a top 6 forward in the NHL no matter how much the haters keep referencing one season and a salary.
I accept your stats but you listed them so many times that it has become overkill, it makes your argument sound desperate and they lose their impact. I kinda figured out after the first sentence.

Quote:
You try to make it sound like I did say he'd carry the team, be an 80pt guy and is capable of carrying a line or something. I've said nothing even close to that this entire thread,
I don't think is insinuated that, and if I did it wasn't meant that way. I was trying to say that your comments might raise expectations that others have for Gomez this year. I would be happy with 55 points.

Quote:
in fact I even stated some of the fault was Gomez after losing confidence he definitely looked like **** out there. But people are saying he's still playing like that now which he isn't.
We don't know how Gomez is playing now against NHL competition. Hopefully he will build upon what he has accomplished in the preseason.

Quote:
Gomez doesn't need to change his game his game has worked for the better part of a decade.
Even Gomez said he needed to change his game last year. Why would you disagree?

Quote:
Gomez needs a winger who isn't a 4th liner. Again not saying it isn't partly his fault, 38 points is abysmal, just saying he's the type of player that if given the right circumstances can be a huge part of our success and 60 points isn't even out of the question.
Gomez struggled with 1st and 2nd line players as well as fourth line players. He didn't play the whole year with fourth line players. Having said that, I think the line of Pacioretty, Gomez and Gionta has lot of potential.

Quote:

Bottom line is that if Gomez returns to 55-60 point form he's at the top of what 2nd liners should produce.
You are absolutely right. I agree 100%.

Old
09-28-2011, 08:23 PM
onice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
He was acquired to be the first line centre FFS.
Where did you hear that? He was acquired so Cammellari & Gionta would sign here. So even if he scored 5 points all year we win the trade. Cammy & Gionta signed.

I don't have to add a, do I?

Old
09-28-2011, 09:18 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I say he tops 70 points this year. Patch scores 35. Just a feeling.

Old
10-01-2011, 08:54 PM
NHLFutureGuy3

Wow Gomez what a game tonight. You're even making me into a believer.

Old
10-01-2011, 08:57 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

I rest my ****ing case.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Coldplay
Courage

You suck, overpaid sack of ****. Enjoy Hamilton, loser.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:21 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
I rest my ****ing case.
If the 6 losses don't mean anything neither should Gomez's play. He has to prove something in the first 10 ACTUAL, REAL games before the heat is off.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Trade Gomez, Weber, Kostitsyn, Palushaj and a 4th for St. Louis and Bergeron.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:30 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
If the 6 losses don't mean anything neither should Gomez's play. He has to prove something in the first 10 ACTUAL, REAL games before the heat is off.
That's obvious. And if we happened to be past 10 games, we could take a stance regarding his efficiency without speculation.

But, damn the ontological state of affairs, WE ARE NOT 10 GAMES IN.

The only measuring stick we have is a few preseason guess, it's not unreasonnable to makes projections based on those. So, at this moment, it looks like Gomez will have a good year.

Looks. Like.

Not "is certain"

Looks like

Old
10-01-2011, 09:33 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Trade Gomez, Weber, Kostitsyn, Palushaj and a 4th for St. Louis and Bergeron.
It's gotta be a 3rd rounder or Yzerman says **** you, Gauthier.

Very impressed. Did... did you guys.. did you guys see Gomez SHOOTING the puck TOWARDS the net? I had to check the jersey number every time he took a shot

To be honest, a couple of times he looked like the Devils Gomez and then a couple of other times looked a bit lost. I think we'll see a 55 pt campaign from him this season.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:36 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Gomez played a hell of a game tonight. We can only hope it sticks.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Gomez redemption cannot be accomplished in a single game, even moreso a pre-season one. And I think Gomez knows that.

So at this point, I'll simply consider all this as a good omen for the future to come.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:48 PM
OneSharpMarble

Haha the cheerleaders around here amuse me. When we lose and look terrible they say "chill it's preseason" but when we win they say "OMG gomez is going to score 100 points! See I told YOUZZZZZ!!!!!"

I guess the "preseason" excuse only comes into effect when it is in their favor.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Haha the cheerleaders around here amuse me. When we lose and look terrible they say "chill it's preseason" but when we win they say "OMG gomez is going to score 100 points! See I told YOUZZZZZ!!!!!"

I guess the "preseason" excuse only comes into effect when it is in their favor.
I don't see anyone here saying this.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:58 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post

If you're referring to my prediction, I'm saying that because he looked focused most of the time and did not float, used his teammates and buzzed around the net when he was on the ice. He also did that with the full-team preseason games not the "let's test out our prospects and let our vets heal" games.

It doesn't erase the **** year he had, but it's a damn good start.

Old
10-01-2011, 10:07 PM
habomatic

If Gomer goes back to driving the net and hitting the dirty areas like he used to he'll be awesome. It looks like he's having fun again.

Old
10-01-2011, 10:09 PM
coolasprICE

Gomez has proven himself for the rest of the season on the basis of his performance tonight

Old
10-01-2011, 10:21 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Gomez has proven himself for the rest of the season on the basis of his performance tonight
RE-SIGN HIM!

Old
10-01-2011, 10:26 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
RE-SIGN HIM!
Totally. I mean, so what if he's overpaid by 500k per season

Old
10-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Oh, look, the haters are hating!

Old
10-01-2011, 10:30 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
RE-SIGN HIM!
10 year extention at the league max

Old
10-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Jigger77

Gomez was awesome tonight. Driving the net, skating, sweet feeds. Really nice to see. Hope this is the guy we get to see all year. Will make a HUGE difference to have a 1-2 punch down the middle like that. He is really good with Pacioretty. They really seem to find themselves well on the ice.

Old
10-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Mr. Hab

Go Gomez Go!!

PROS:
< Gomez's salary will be a-ok next season and (my prediction) several teams will offer something for his affordable services...it may be to our advantage to keep Gomez
< this is the first time in a long time that we have good CENTER DEPTH (also gives lots of time for Leblanc to develop/mature/learn more/gain confidence and add weight...no rush).
<Gomez's presence at #1 or #2 center position removes pressure on Eller and Desharnais...trust me (or imo!) we are a way better team with Gomez way more options, way less pressure on Eller and Desharnais...they can develop at their own pace on the 3rd line
< Gomez is not injury prone...I love that (maybe it's 'cause he's not that gritty but he still has hustle, pride and heart...he cares).
< Gomez always plays well in playoffs and his stats show it.
< Gomez >>>>> Markov...and why? Gomez is there and Markov, well...he's never around to help our Habs unless there's a paycheck to pick up (Markov better stay healthy this season...we need him). Gomez would benefit a lot if Markov stayed healthy (Markov is healthy = way more pts for Gomez).
< Gomez's value will be quite high next season (his salary will be relatively low)...some team may offer a 1st or 2nd Rnd Pick for Gomez in 2012 or 2013 (centers: Pleks, Eller, Leblanc, Desharnais). Or Gomez will be of value to us...so we may keep him as a 3rd liner of center 2b.

CONS (not many for me):
<his salary in the last 2 seasons four our Habs was a lot (but his salary will look good next season).
<almost every Hab fan can't stop thinking about McDonagh...I can (since we do need Gomez for center depth...yes McDonagh is good and good for him but we really needed center depth...anyways...our D-depth is pretty good with Yemelin, Diaz, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Bennett...).
< imo when he isn't producing he continues doing the same thing (taking the puck from our zone and skating in the opponent's zone is great but usually nothing happens after that...this season will be different...I say he will get 50-55pts or more...for sure, and more importantly...will have a strong playoffs performance).

Now if we can only get Markov to average 65+games/season and play all or most of his playoff games...

Old
10-02-2011, 03:12 AM
habtastic

As a perennial Gomez-defender, glad to see this thread. He's gonna come through.

Closed Thread