HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: 5-1 We are doomed! Let's tank!!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-01-2011, 11:30 PM
  #151
Montreal Typical
Registered User
 
Montreal Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Moreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
It didn t stop getting Savard and Bergeron splattered.
Both more than once.

Montreal Typical is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:31 PM
  #152
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Both more than once.
Man with all those headshots, Boston really should go out and get some tough guys to protect them. They're so soft.

In fact they must be the softest team in the league..

Savard(2x)
Bergeron(2x)
Krecji
Horton

Their GM is gutless.

Andy is online now  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:32 PM
  #153
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,916
vCash: 500
Anyone have a boxscore for the game?

Watsatheo is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:32 PM
  #154
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Can anyone please post the PP units from tonight? Any forwards on the blue line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
What do you mean? You don't see guys like Krejci, Savard, Bergeron, and Horton getting hit like this with Chara, Lucic, and/or Thornton in the lineup.
Well done!

Roulin is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:34 PM
  #155
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
So all the other players who got suspended did what they did because the other team has zero enforcers?

Man what a weak league.

Sorry, nothing is going to stop you from being an idiot and targeting the head.

Good for Gorges for standing up. But I'm not going to cry for an enforcer. Find me a guy who can score goals and still be an enforcer.. then we might be talking, but how rare are those?..

I don't want a guy who will spend 4 minutes of ice time.
Jim Vandermeer was available. He played 17 minutes + on D against the Canucks on Sept. 29. His + - was zero. Gauthier passed on him.

Mike Rupp scored 13 and 9 goals respectively over the last two years. Gauthier passed on him.

There are more players that Gauthier passed on who could help this team.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:34 PM
  #156
Souvenirs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Trois-Rivieres
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Josh Gorges disagrees with you.

We need Gorges on defense yet he is MAN ENOUGH to step up and take on Malone. Yeah, he got cut.

You like our skill guys taking on the ********* of the League?

Or would you rather see no one on our team take on Malone after what he did to Campoli?

Pacifism may be acceptable in your world. Fortunately, we have a couple of MEN on the Canadiens who disagree with you. Unfortunately, Gorges is a skill guy fighting the battles.
Gorges took on Malone because he was already on the ice and right next to him. If we had an enforcer, he probably wouldn't have been on the ice at that moment.

It's such a silly argument anyway: enforcers don't prevent hits. They can avenge them, but they can't prevent them. When we had Laraque, it didn't stop the Sauer-Kostitsyn hit. Chara, Thornton and Lucic couldn't prevent what happened to Marc Savard and Nathan Horton.

I would like to see more toughness on our roster, but this is useless whining. Our team pulled off a satisfactory performance, but all people do here is cry more about not having an enforcer? Come the **** on.

Souvenirs is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:35 PM
  #157
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Can anyone please post the PP units from tonight? Any forwards on the blue line?



Well done!
Plecky and Subban played on the first wave. It went better as the game progressed but they need some time to gel together. It wasn't quite clicking. At least that's what I thought. There were two odd man rushes going the other way when Plecky was at the point too. Not necessarily his fault, but that's the risk you run into playing a forward at the point.

Personally I'd rather see a defenseman back there. I'm hoping Diaz keeps playing like he did tonight because he and Spacek would make a good second pairing after Markov and Subban.

Jigger77 is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:36 PM
  #158
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Jim Vandermeer was available. He played 17 minutes + on D against the Canucks on Sept. 29. His + - was zero. Gauthier passed on him.

Mike Rupp scored 13 and 9 goals respectively over the last two years. Gauthier passed on him.
There are more players that Gauthier passed on who could help this team.
That's actually false. Gauthier went after Vandermeer but he chose to sign elsewhere. It was reported during the FA period.

Also it was reported by Dreger that 13 teams offered contracts to Rupp, some offering more, but he chose the Rangers.

Keep trying.

Andy is online now  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:36 PM
  #159
Gary320
Moderator
 
Gary320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 13,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Jim Vandermeer was available. He played 17 minutes + on D against the Canucks on Sept. 29. His + - was zero. Gauthier passed on him.

Mike Rupp scored 13 and 9 goals respectively over the last two years. Gauthier passed on him.

There are more players that Gauthier passed on who could help this team.
First. Before you say passed on him. You don't know the negotiations that he did to say that. Just don't come out and flat out say he passed, if you don't really have the facts to say it.

Second. I agree with you, if tomorrow we get Mike Rupp. Man I'd be pretty freaking glad. Like I said.. I'd love to get a player who can score and be an enforcer, but they aren't here.. or they don't pan out well here.

Gary320 is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:37 PM
  #160
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,325
vCash: 500
I'd take an enforcer like Chris Neil, who also contributes fairly regularly on the scoresheet. But easier said than done to find guys like that.

Jigger77 is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:38 PM
  #161
Maliki2
Registered User
 
Maliki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saint Albans, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 10,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Josh Gorges disagrees with you.

We need Gorges on defense yet he is MAN ENOUGH to step up and take on Malone. Yeah, he got cut.

You like our skill guys taking on the ********* of the League?

Or would you rather see no one on our team take on Malone after what he did to Campoli?

Pacifism may be acceptable in your world. Fortunately, we have a couple of MEN on the Canadiens who disagree with you. Unfortunately, Gorges is a skill guy fighting the battles.
The cut looked like something from the helmet or shield...big deal happens all the time. Not sure why people really give a crap about it.

Maliki2 is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:39 PM
  #162
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
So who showed up when Bergeron got his neck broken and Savard got his brain scrambled? How did "team toughness" prevent those cheapshots?

This is such a played out and flat-out wrong argument I can't believe people still cling to it.
Lets leave the freak career ending red herring arguments out of this. Those happened in the past and will forever happen when there is a sport like hockey that is hard hitting. Nothing will ever stop those.


However, do you want Subban fighting his own fights and battles? Price? Kostitsyn vs Downey? Liked that one? Gorges stitches?

Downey drops the gloves with Kostitsyn because he can. He knows that he can take on one of our top scoring forwards and never have to worry about anyone coming after him for that. You think that will help Kostitsyn's game knowing he is on his own?

Kostitsyn was our team leader in hitting last year. However, if he is going to have to drop the gloves when he makes a hit, how long do you think it will be before he realizes that its not worth it any more?

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:44 PM
  #163
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Jim Vandermeer was available. He played 17 minutes + on D against the Canucks on Sept. 29. His + - was zero. Gauthier passed on him.

Mike Rupp scored 13 and 9 goals respectively over the last two years. Gauthier passed on him.

There are more players that Gauthier passed on who could help this team.
Your reference for Vandermeer was pre-season.

Mike Rupp, who I and others wanted got overpaid as a bidding war went on for his services.

Tonight, Gomez looked good. He had one really dumb play that I saw, but overall looked decent, Hopefully he can keep it up.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:45 PM
  #164
sammy d
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 653
vCash: 500
We don't need an enforcer, need team toughness. I was thinking after the Malone crap that who is playing tonight that would stick up for his teamates and let Malone know that type of behaviour is unacceptable, very small list. Of course won't stop all of that crap but with some team toughness would make some playesr think twice if they know someone is going to get in their face .

sammy d is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:46 PM
  #165
HabbyGilmore
Best man for the job
 
HabbyGilmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saint John, NB Canda
Country: Canada
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HabbyGilmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
You know what, change the rule and penalize the coach..
gotta say.. its funny.. but it would freakin' work Coaches would be ticked if they missed games due to stupid mistakes.

HabbyGilmore is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:50 PM
  #166
SherbrookeW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
What eliminates head shots is a will on the part of the league office to eliminate them. Ken Dryden is right -- and the only worthwhile question is whether the league listens to him. The notion that the Habs need "toughness" is too puerile to endure. One more decent goal scorer -- or a surer goal touch from Kostitsyn , and they would have eliminated the big tough Bruins last year. ( Who, by the way , apparently cant "Protect" their own, for all their toughness.) Thirty five years ago the Habs destroyed the Flyers by skating around them, not by "standing up " to them. They can do the same if the League lets them. People who think they need a goon -- or even that legendary, non-existent "tough guy who can really play" -- should go back to watching professional wrestling or cage boxing or whatever "sport" they really prefer.


Last edited by Mike8: 10-02-2011 at 12:03 AM.
SherbrookeW is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:52 PM
  #167
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
Gorges took on Malone because he was already on the ice and right next to him. If we had an enforcer, he probably wouldn't have been on the ice at that moment.

It's such a silly argument anyway: enforcers don't prevent hits. They can avenge them, but they can't prevent them. When we had Laraque, it didn't stop the Sauer-Kostitsyn hit. Chara, Thornton and Lucic couldn't prevent what happened to Marc Savard and Nathan Horton.

I would like to see more toughness on our roster, but this is useless whining. Our team pulled off a satisfactory performance, but all people do here is cry more about not having an enforcer? Come the **** on.
Here. I will say it one last time to hopefully end the red herring arguments.

Enforcers do not stop elbows to the head. Never have. Never will.

Now that I got that out of the way, the reality facing the Habs this season is the rest of the NHL knows that they can run our skill players.

I didnt say elbows to the head. No, they can run Price in the hopes of taking his out of his game. They can run Pleks. They can drop the gloves with Kostitsyn. They can target any player that they want to without reprecussions.

Enforcers do not stop elbows to the head.

An enforcer/tough guy would have gone after Malone for knocking Price over. Same for Downey when he pushed our player onto Price. Same for Downey when he went after Kostitsyn. That type of retribution, revenge, retaliation........whatever word you want to use........will make players think twice about going after skilled players. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Enforcers do not stop elbows to the head.

SouthernHab is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:53 PM
  #168
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Well there is precedent of it so minimum he should get is ten games. Shanahan should look at this, if a player is running around cheap shotting people then he escalates it too possibly causing injury then nail those dirt bags with very stiff suspensions.
I'm glad it occurred late in the preseason because now Malone's suspension will consist entirely of regular season games. It was so stupid of him to do it in this particular game, which had no effect on the standings. I'm sure Boucher was less thn pleased.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:54 PM
  #169
Maliki2
Registered User
 
Maliki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saint Albans, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 10,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherbrookeW View Post
What eliminates head shots is a will on the part of the league office to eliminate them. Ken Dryden is right -- and the only worthwhile question is whether the league listens to him. The notion that the Habs need "toughness" is too puerile to endure. One more decent goal scorer -- or a surer goal touch from Kostitsyn , and they would have eliminated the big tough Bruins last year. ( Who, by the way , apparently cant "Protect" their own, for all their toughness.) Thirty five years ago the Habs destroyed the Flyers by skating around them, not by "standing up " to them. They can do the same if the League lets them. People who think they need a goon -- or even that legendary, non-existent "tough guy who can really play" -- should go back to watching professional wrestling or cage boxing or whatever moronic "sport" they really prefer.
We take a guy, we pay 500k to take out Crosby who is the league superstar....yeah that will stop them! The problem is there is no way to stop these type of plays. Taking out the superstar of another team in the playoffs will improve your chances to win. Will it guarentee a win? No. The problem is we will start to see where teams will take out superstars as a result of their superstars being taken out. What does the league do then? As we saw in the Boston series we had a young player who was a Bruin killer taken out for nothing. Bruins advanced and the Habs were golfing after the first round. There is no easy way to solve this.

Maliki2 is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:56 PM
  #170
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,036
vCash: 500
So we dominate a team 5-1 and all people can do is ***** about one hit.

Seriously, I think this proves how negative habs fans are.

We don't get comments about how impressed they were and that maybe they were wrong about complaining just two days ago that the habs had only won one pre-season game and that maybe, if the team continues to play this way at this level that can actually be a good team.

It's obvious you guys have an agenda against the team, since no matter what you *****. Your act is getting old.

Andy is online now  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:56 PM
  #171
Montreal Typical
Registered User
 
Montreal Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Moreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
An enforcer/tough guy would have gone after Malone for knocking Price over.
And Malone could have simply ignored him.

Montreal Typical is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:57 PM
  #172
habsrule22
Registered User
 
habsrule22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Powassan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Lets leave the freak career ending red herring arguments out of this. Those happened in the past and will forever happen when there is a sport like hockey that is hard hitting. Nothing will ever stop those.


However, do you want Subban fighting his own fights and battles? Price? Kostitsyn vs Downey? Liked that one? Gorges stitches?

Downey drops the gloves with Kostitsyn because he can. He knows that he can take on one of our top scoring forwards and never have to worry about anyone coming after him for that. You think that will help Kostitsyn's game knowing he is on his own?

Kostitsyn was our team leader in hitting last year. However, if he is going to have to drop the gloves when he makes a hit, how long do you think it will be before he realizes that its not worth it any more?
Since you want leave the freak career red herring, we have players to deal with Downey and Malone. They are Moen and White but they are injured and did not play.

habsrule22 is offline  
Old
10-01-2011, 11:59 PM
  #173
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Plecky and Subban played on the first wave. It went better as the game progressed but they need some time to gel together. It wasn't quite clicking. At least that's what I thought. There were two odd man rushes going the other way when Plecky was at the point too. Not necessarily his fault, but that's the risk you run into playing a forward at the point.

Personally I'd rather see a defenseman back there. I'm hoping Diaz keeps playing like he did tonight because he and Spacek would make a good second pairing after Markov and Subban.
Thanks. I've been curious as to how much Diaz and Weber figure in Martin's plans for the PP. Seems like Diaz may be strong enough at even strength to crack the lineup regardless? I like Weber, but I don't know that his strongest asset (his shot) has as much value on a team that already has Subban as a shooter from the blue line.

Roulin is offline  
Old
10-02-2011, 12:00 AM
  #174
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Imagine if Marc Savard played for us? His career would probably be over now.
You mean it isn't anyway? Don't look too hard for his name in ther Bruins lineup.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
10-02-2011, 12:01 AM
  #175
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
I don't know why I bother with these arguments, everyone says the same thing everytime, no one ever changes their opinion, I'm going to ignore the tough guy debate from now on.

Anyone have the faceoff stats from tonight? I don't even know where to find them.

Also, I'm still not sold on the forward at the point idea. When we have two offensive right-handed Dmen in the game they should've played the point together on the PP.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.