HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Stevenson out 8 to 12 weeks

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2005, 01:03 PM
BloodOnTheIce

vCash: 500
Stevenson out 8 to 12 weeks

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pr...chive/2225.asp

Last edited by BloodOnTheIce: 10-17-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old
10-17-2005, 01:09 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodOnTheIce
You may want to name the thread Stevenson out 8 to 12 weeks.
Just a thought.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Brad*

That's too bad, I liked the assets he brought to the team. Radivojevic did have a good game against the Islanders and can be a very effective third liner, but he's also had some very "meh" kind of games so far.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
I liked him alot when he was with the Devils, but he could never seem to shake the injury bug, looks like more the same here.

10-17-2005, 01:23 PM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Too bad, figure Sharp, Radio and Sim have their spots secure until Kapanen comes back.

Was Kapanen expected back late November?

Old
10-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North
Too bad, figure Sharp, Radio and Sim have their spots secure until Kapanen comes back.

early december against Nashville is his goal.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:26 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North

I liked what he brought to he team, he and Primeau seemed to click. Not impressed with above mentioned that much, give Umberger a shot. Sim hasn't done anything and hasn't been to impressive IMO.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:26 PM
greatwhite101*

Does it mean we can bring Umberger? Umberger canplay RW and currently he is doing pretty good with Phantoms... Just a thought.
Send Sim back to AHL.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:36 PM
Brad*

Umberger is still the 13th forward. I'd rather see him get 1st line minutes in the AHL as opposed to being the Flyers extra forward.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:43 PM
greatwhite101*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Umberger is still the 13th forward. I'd rather see him get 1st line minutes in the AHL as opposed to being the Flyers extra forward.
Disagree.... He needs to experience what NHL is all about. If it doesn't work out AHL first line option is still there. 4 players should compete Radio Sim Sharp and Burger, Carter needs to step up innext 2-3 games.
Brashear Keith Burger line...

Playing Toronto will not be fun.

Old
10-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I agree. 8 minutes a night isn't going to help his development. If it was assured he'd be on the third line, then I'd be all for it.

Old
10-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Crap, I really like Stevenson too.

Beleive it or not, before the Forsberg signing, he was probably the one I was most excited to have coming to the Flyers, even over Knubley.

Old
10-17-2005, 02:06 PM
MojoJojo

Hopefully Carter can get some of his minutes. Carter has been getting very little play time. Sure he had a rough couple games to start, but two games into his rookie season and then being put on the fourth line with Brashear is hardly the way to develop his talent.

Old
10-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
I agree. 8 minutes a night isn't going to help his development. If it was assured he'd be on the third line, then I'd be all for it.
Umberger doesn't have anything else to prove in the AHL. He's excelled in every area and even when he played for the Flyers he was good. The only reason I don't want him on the roster at this point is because there's too much inexperience on our bottom lines.

Old
10-17-2005, 05:51 PM
hockeyphan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhite101
Does it mean we can bring Umberger? Umberger canplay RW and currently he is doing pretty good with Phantoms... Just a thought.
Send Sim back to AHL.
Send Sim back to the AHL? Yeah and why were at it, why don't we send Primeau and Forsberg too. Hopefully you like the Phantoms much more than the Flyers, otherwise that is a very stupid comment. Sim has played very well, he may have only one goal (two by my count he got ripped by the refs for one) but he has developed some very good scoring chances. If he wasn't taken off the Richards line, I think he'd have about three goals already. Put him with Richards or Carter and he will get at least 20 goals this year. The only players on the team that have more goal scoring potential than Sim at this point are Gagne and Knuble. No I'm not saying he is the third best player on the team.
Forwards that Sim has outplayed (of course this is not including the preseason): Radio, Sharpe, Brashear, Savage, Carter

Old
10-17-2005, 06:11 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyphan25
Send Sim back to the AHL? Yeah and why were at it, why don't we send Primeau and Forsberg too. Hopefully you like the Phantoms much more than the Flyers, otherwise that is a very stupid comment. Sim has played very well, he may have only one goal (two by my count he got ripped by the refs for one) but he has developed some very good scoring chances. If he wasn't taken off the Richards line, I think he'd have about three goals already. Put him with Richards or Carter and he will get at least 20 goals this year. The only players on the team that have more goal scoring potential than Sim at this point are Gagne and Knuble. No I'm not saying he is the third best player on the team.
Forwards that Sim has outplayed (of course this is not including the preseason): Radio, Sharpe, Brashear, Savage, Carter
I'm sorry but I don't see how you can come to this conclusion unless you ignore Sim's career and focus soley on his pre-season performance. Going into this season, he had 19 goals in 163 games. He's an AHL scorer, he's not a legit NHL threat on offense. I don't see any discernable difference between him and guys like Peter White, Peter Ferraro, Steve Guolla, Stacey Roest, etc... guys that scored at will in the AHL and could fill in in the NHL but couldn't produce at the NHL level.

Old
10-17-2005, 06:23 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

I love Turner, and wish him the best, but he's had these injuries his whole career after coming to NJ from Montreal. Unfortuanatly, he's going to have this groin pull, abdominal/hip thing forever.

Old
10-17-2005, 06:49 PM
DeleteThisAccount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machoking2003-04
I love Turner, and wish him the best, but he's had these injuries his whole career after coming to NJ from Montreal. Unfortuanatly, he's going to have this groin pull, abdominal/hip thing forever.
Yeah...

But if you read the article, this one's a labral tear, just like Esche had during the playoffs last season.

Old
10-17-2005, 07:48 PM
greatwhite101*

Quote:
lol at this post....

Pre-season? Umberger is better then Sim, Sharp, Radio and Savage are better then Sim. Sim can get 20 goalsin NHL? He was taken off Richards line for a good reason. Ripped by refs? As if they did it on purpose? He is 28 and he belongs in AHL or 4th line at best. Dude.... where did you come from? Take off your Phantoms glasses.

Last edited by greatwhite101: 10-17-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old
10-17-2005, 10:21 PM
hockeyphan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
I'm sorry but I don't see how you can come to this conclusion unless you ignore Sim's career and focus soley on his pre-season performance. Going into this season, he had 19 goals in 163 games. He's an AHL scorer, he's not a legit NHL threat on offense. I don't see any discernable difference between him and guys like Peter White, Peter Ferraro, Steve Guolla, Stacey Roest, etc... guys that scored at will in the AHL and could fill in in the NHL but couldn't produce at the NHL level.
What about Martin St. Louis and Vaclav Prospal those guys were great in the AHL but couldn't score in the NHL but they weren't put on the back burner they were given an oppurtunity to learn and now look at them. I'm glad you put up that statistic - 19 goals in 163 games. Here is a similar statistic for Martin St. Louis - 22 goals in 147 games and he only had 4 in his first 69 games. I'm not saying that Sim is going to be St. Louis but I think he can be a 25 to 30 goal scorer if given a chance. I'm not focusing soley on his pre-season performance, I'm not forgetting it but I'm also cosidering how he played in the first five games, there is nothing from those games that has made me think he is a bust. You need to stop focusing soley on his past NHL career. I just think that if a guy has a preseason like that and doesn't come out and look like crap, you need to give him at least 10 games with solid minutes and good linemates before you give up on him. If I sound cocky in any way, I'm sorry, because I respect your opinion. I can't say the same for my next post.

Old
10-17-2005, 10:43 PM
hockeyphan25

Quote:
lol at this post....

Pre-season? Umberger is better then Sim, Sharp, Radio and Savage are better then Sim. Sim can get 20 goalsin NHL? He was taken off Richards line for a good reason. Ripped by refs? As if they did it on purpose? He is 28 and he belongs in AHL or 4th line at best. Dude.... where did you come from? Take off your Phantoms glasses.
Umberger did play very well in the pre-season but did he lead the league in goals? Sharp, Radio and Savage better than Sim? Sharp - I'm not going to put him down. Radio - can't get a shot off. Savage - Can't find the net, Sim would have burried at least 3 of the chances Savage has gotten since playing with Richards. Who said the refs did it on purpose, Sim scored a goal and the refs blew the whistle before it crossed the goal line, they may have thought the puck was covered, either way he got ripped on that one. I take it you don't watch games, you probably just look at the stats. If that is the case I understand you wanting to send him back to the Phantoms, maybe you were hoping for 5 goals in 5 games. Oh yeah, as for the 20 goals being a "biglaugh", he is on pace for 16 right now and he is averaging less than eleven minutes per game, if he gets a goal within the next 3 games he will be on pace for 20.

Old
10-17-2005, 11:54 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

There's a reason why Hitchcock dropped Sim down to the fourth line, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't for a good reason

Old
10-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
What about Martin St. Louis and Vaclav Prospal those guys were great in the AHL but couldn't score in the NHL but they weren't put on the back burner they were given an oppurtunity to learn and now look at them.
You might want to check your facts first.

Prospal never bounced around between the AHL and the NHL. He spent nearly 4 seasons in the AHL, and when he was called up he never returned. His first three years were unimpressive: goal totals of 14, 13, and 15. Then he busted out, scoring 32 goals in 63 games, and was called up that year, and never returned to the NHL, at the age of 22.

St. Louis spent parts of 3 seasons bouncing between the AHL and NHL--his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year as a pro. After that, he never returned to the AHL, at the age of 24.

Jon Sim though spent 5 seasons bouncing between the IHL, AHL, and NHL, and then spent 2 years playing for 4 teams in a spare role. Neither Prospal nor St. Louis is a good comparision. Jon Sim has had his chances, and it's clear that age 28 he's a 4th liner in the NHL.

Quote:
I'm glad you put up that statistic - 19 goals in 163 games. Here is a similar statistic for Martin St. Louis - 22 goals in 147 games and he only had 4 in his first 69 games. I'm not saying that Sim is going to be St. Louis but I think he can be a 25 to 30 goal scorer if given a chance.
When St. Louis went to Tampa, he was 25.

Quote:
I'm not focusing soley on his pre-season performance, I'm not forgetting it but I'm also cosidering how he played in the first five games, there is nothing from those games that has made me think he is a bust. You need to stop focusing soley on his past NHL career.
The history of sports has shown that past performance is an indication of a player's future performance. At at age 28, Sim doesn't have upside anymore.

Old
10-19-2005, 10:39 AM
greatwhite101*

Back to Stevenson. He could be out only for 8 weeks. I hope it's 7 weeks
Getting Kapanen and Stevenson back almost at the same time would be great.

Old
10-19-2005, 10:43 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Back to Stevenson. He could be out only for 8 weeks. I hope it's 7 weeks
Getting Kapanen and Stevenson back almost at the same time would be great.

I think we will have Kapanen back by the first week of December. if we have Stevenson back by Christmas i will be thrilled.

Closed Thread