HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamonic Working Hard to Stay...

Old
09-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Hamonic Working Hard to Stay...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ders-1.3211792

"I wouldn't say I'm comfortable right now. It's more familiar," he said after the team's practice at IceWorks Thursday. "There's a big difference to me. I know the system well, I know all my teammates, so I think that leads to less nervous plays on the ice."

"I knew when I started in Bridgeport that I was going to work as hard as I could to be ready if they brought me up," he said. "And when I got here, I wasn't going to let anyone just take my spot. They'd have to rip it out of my hands."

09-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Travis quickly cemented himself as a one of my favorite players and one of the keys to the defense last season. 100% he is the next jersey I'm getting. The kid shows his grit and chippy-ness every time he is on the ice, during the preseason game against the Devils I was explaining to one of my friends how good he's gonna be and as I'm doing it he facepalms one of the guys to the ice and continues on and gets back into position.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 10:39 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
"I knew when I started in Bridgeport that I was going to work as hard as I could to be ready if they brought me up," he said. "And when I got here, I wasn't going to let anyone just take my spot. They'd have to rip it out of my hands."
That's exactly why I love this kid. I know there are others who say that he's been rushed, but he belongs in the NHL. He's been so often compared to Shea Weber, you can see why. What a steal of a 2nd round pick.

I forget exactly, but was he the pick we got in the Bailey trade down deal? I know I should know this, but I've been sick lately.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:14 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
That's exactly why I love this kid. I know there are others who say that he's been rushed, but he belongs in the NHL. He's been so often compared to Shea Weber, you can see why. What a steal of a 2nd round pick.

I forget exactly, but was he the pick we got in the Bailey trade down deal? I know I should know this, but I've been sick lately.
If Hamonic gets to be that good, it would be coincidental in that Shea Weber was also a steal of a 2nd round, or maybe even a 3rd round, pick. I forget which one. Either way, he's one of the game's best defenseman.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:19 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

It amazes me how many times I've read this offseason that Travis is somehow a bubble player.

He's arguably the teams best all around Dman right now. And I say that while giving Streit the benefit of the doubt that he'll be a 50 point 20+minute Dman again.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:20 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
^It's that kind of talk that can keep him motivated.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:53 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

what a likeable person and player. Isles are filled with those nowadays (that's what I see, anyway)

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:02 PM
1 Timer

I see a young Scott Stevens. Nastey and skilled.

1 Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:14 PM
periferal

I've said it a bunch and I'll say it a bunch more...

Hamonic just plays the game *right.* Those who know hockey know what I'm talking about.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:30 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I've said it a bunch and I'll say it a bunch more...

Hamonic just plays the game *right.* Those who know hockey know what I'm talking about.
My fantasy leaguers and roto stat buddies and I have no idea what you're talking about.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:15 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
Travis quickly cemented himself as a one of my favorite players and one of the keys to the defense last season. 100% he is the next jersey I'm getting. The kid shows his grit and chippy-ness every time he is on the ice, during the preseason game against the Devils I was explaining to one of my friends how good he's gonna be and as I'm doing it he facepalms one of the guys to the ice and continues on and gets back into position.
Just got mine last week. Not crazy about the number 3. Kinda wish he would switch with DeHaan or Jurcina. 24 or 27 just seem like better numbers for hard hitting d-men.

KrisBeKreame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:32 PM
StrongIslanders90

After Johnny he and Okie are my Favorites......I just love his intensity, positioning, and his overall game.....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 02:54 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

****ing love this kid. Garth always seems to pick kids with mature attitudes (other than Kabanov who's gotten a lot better).

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:59 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
He was picked with the ducks' 2nd rounder which we acquired by trading Edmonton's 3rd (acquired in the grebeshkov/bergeron trade) back to them with Allan Rourke.

But it's possible that without the picks acquired in the Bailey trade down that we would've still taken Ness or Trivino with the pick used to draft him, so personally I still consider his acquisition a result of the tradedown.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:00 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Just got mine last week. Not crazy about the number 3. Kinda wish he would switch with DeHaan or Jurcina. 24 or 27 just seem like better numbers for hard hitting d-men.
I dunno......if he leaves someone flat on his arse sideways......

Old
10-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
Love his Game, I think we have a real keeper with him and hes gonna be a great top dman for years to come, his vision and style of play are great, his work ethic and intensity is great and he is a very smart hockey player glad we have him and he will be with with the team this year

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 10:59 AM
BillD

Hammer may never get to the very top level of D-men (Weber, Keith, Pronger etc) but my guess is he will be cut a half-cut below (Seabrook, Burns, Suter).
He will make an ideal #2 on this team for many years.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:32 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Hammer may never get to the very top level of D-men (Weber, Keith, Pronger etc) but my guess is he will be cut a half-cut below (Seabrook, Burns, Suter).
He will make an ideal #2 on this team for many years.
Curious as to how anyone can come to this conclusion?

We've seen 60, only 60 games from this kid, and he was not only fabulous, he was our best defenseman. He was a PLUS player, and he showed the attributes of a premier defenseman in this league.

So how can we just come to the conclusion that his ceiling is that of only a No. 2 defenseman?

If Marc Staal is so widely considered a No. 1 defenseman, that Hamonic, by everything he shows on the ice, is a future No. 1 defenseman. This kid is a beast, fights, and his on ice skills are second to none.

That's the only conclusion I can come up with.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:39 PM
CodeE

I wouldn't mind seeing Hamonic start the season in Bridgeport only to see how this board would react.

In all seriousness, I'm thinking with a lot of defensive-minded guys in our top 7 (Eaton, Jurcina, Staios, Mottau) Hamonic's gonna get a ton of PP time. We'll probably go with Streit-Rolston as the first pairing, but unless DeHaan makes the team I have to think Hamonic's our second best offensive defenseman. Really just a great young two-way defenseman who is easily our most important "core" defenseman.

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Timer View Post
I see a young Scott Stevens. Nastey and skilled.
I see more of a Kevin Hatcher than Stevens.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:52 PM
TheIslesFan

vCash: 557
Give the kid the 15 year deal he deserves!

TheIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 02:16 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Hamonic start the season in Bridgeport only to see how this board would react.

In all seriousness, I'm thinking with a lot of defensive-minded guys in our top 7 (Eaton, Jurcina, Staios, Mottau) Hamonic's gonna get a ton of PP time. We'll probably go with Streit-Rolston as the first pairing, but unless DeHaan makes the team I have to think Hamonic's our second best offensive defenseman. Really just a great young two-way defenseman who is easily our most important "core" defenseman.
??

The guy's got a blistering shot and uses it. I rank Hamonis as our third behind Streit and Jurcina, and he'd be fourth behind DeHaan next year. That said, he's in the Potvin mold where he's dangerous everywhere he goes on ice.

His value, thus, could be as high as anyone on our blueline. So no, I don't see it impossible for Hamonic being in the top ranking of defensemen one day. He's gonna have to earn it, unlike your Pronger or Doughty or Weber guys.

And this from the pessimist.

Old
10-01-2011, 02:26 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
I see more of a Kevin Hatcher than Stevens.
How about Phil Housley?

Smart hits, lethal shot, brilliant checking.

Old
10-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Nah, Housley is what Bryan Berard should've been.

I don't see Hamonic as a speedster, taking the puck from his own zone and leading the rush with it.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 02:17 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Nah, Housley is what Bryan Berard should've been.

I don't see Hamonic as a speedster, taking the puck from his own zone and leading the rush with it.
Deceptive speed but not Paul Coffey, hits hard and can put 'em up if need be, creative shot but his game can't be pinned on any one facet like Berard's could.

It's apt. You think of early Housley, not just the Jets Housley. Buffalo he was a tough SOB who could man the PP.