HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruins vs. Islanders 10/01/11

Old
10-01-2011, 08:51 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
On my way home from the game. We should have won, in addition I thought Nabby looked good most of the game, he got beat on the last goal but the first one was on Reese and the second on Mottau. Even Eaton looked terrible.

Bailey played more like a third line checking foward than I expected, Ciziaks needs some seasoning bu
t could step in soon, Marchand type guy IMO. Parenteau (wasnt) as bad as some of you portray him, he showed good vision and even some sandpaper.

Pandolfo was sound defensively, and the first two line were on all night. AMax and Hammer looked like they didn't miss a beat, Streit needs a good partner and then we have two solid pairings. Lastly Comeau is a puck hog and played BAD!

Last edited by seafoam: 10-01-2011 at 08:57 PM.
seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 08:54 PM
olenumber18

vCash: 500
Ready or not...here comes the season.
I believe we will soon eat much chili

olenumber18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 09:05 PM
seafoam

Dont be suprised if the lines are like this ti start the season

Moulson-JT-Parenteau
King Kong line or W.E
Rolston-Bails-Nino
Comeau-Reasoner-Haley/Martin/Gillies

Streit-Jurcina
AMac-Hammer
Eaton-Staios

Old
10-01-2011, 11:37 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post

Moulson-JT-Parenteau
King Kong line or W.E
Rolston-Bails-Nino

Streit-Jurcina
AMac-Hammer
Eaton-Staios
Amazing how 10 out of the 12 scorers (JT, PAP, Moulson, Grabs, Okposo, Nielsen, Bailey, Rolston, Nino, Comeau) all have a real potential to score 20 goals or more. Doesn't mean they're all going to obviously, but this team could give opposing d-men fits. I mean, do you put your top pair of defensive defenseman against JT's line or Frans line? Granted, you'll probably pair them against JT...but then again, you better hope you don't have d-man slow and/or prone to mistakes out there against Grabner.

The real question is back on D and in net. We really could use that top-4 dman that could pair with Streit. I think, if they stay predominantly healthy, it will be a vast improvement...I mean, just having Streit there alone is a huge plus. But, unless Hamonic and MacDonald have absolute breakout years and Eaton/Jurcina/Staios stay healthy...I think there's going to be alot to complain about.

And in goal...someone's really gonna have to step up and become the obvious choice for starter. I really think Monty wants it...he's already been in situations where he was pushed aside then run out of town. He made the best of his opportunity last season and he's had a great camp, even Staple has said he's had the best camp out of the 3. I would start him on Saturday. But then again...the Isles just may be doing this 3-goalie carousel...and in the end, no matter what...Rick is going to come out on top. He's got the contract, and if he stays healthy, I'm afraid it's his team. Then, in 5 long seasons when he's 35 and his knees can no longer take any more stress...he'll retire while 26 year old Kevin Poulin is a star netminder for the Oilers. And he'll take part in the heated rivalry with the Flames and against their top-10, 31 year old netminder named Al Montoya. And Nilsson? Eh, he'll do a solid job backing up Rick 2 years from now, then decide he's just going to go back to the SEL. There's very little about Rick and his future that makes me comfortable, even if he's healthy and standing on his head.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 12:48 AM
drive45

how do you delete a post?

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 06:23 AM
xIsle

Quote:

Moulson-JT-Parenteau
King Kong line or W.E
Rolston-Bails-Nino

Streit-Jurcina
AMac-Hammer
Eaton-Staios
Comeau won't start the year on the fourth line! He scored 24 goals last year...

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 07:40 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIsle View Post
Comeau won't start the year on the fourth line! He scored 24 goals last year...
couldn't agree more about Comeau... but i'm thinking that, between a line centered by Bailey and a line centered by Reasoner, I don't know if we'll (let alone opposing Coaches) know which is technically the third and which is the fourth line. My guess is that Martin and Haley will determine that (oddly enough).

My point, I think the Isles will roll those bottom two lines fairly consistently. We're all assuming Reasoner will get the 4th line roll, but think about it: in a tight late game draw situation (where the KONG line is just coming off and JT's line was on before it), are you going to have Bailey taking a draw, or Reasoner? If Reasoner does, does that mean our 4th line is our true defensive line? Weird stuff.

If anyone can remember the late 90's Devils' teams that rolled 4 lines fairly consistently, I think that's what we're going to get on a modified basis. I think the top two lines will see the bulk of the action, but the latter two lines will probably get pretty equal billing. I know a lot of people will think this could hurt Bailey's development, but I disagree. I don't equate point totals with development all the time. I think Josh was a guy who was mature three years ago, but didn't belong here yet. End of story.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive45 View Post
how do you delete a post?
There are many I would love to, not including mine.

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 09:23 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
couldn't agree more about Comeau... but i'm thinking that, between a line centered by Bailey and a line centered by Reasoner, I don't know if we'll (let alone opposing Coaches) know which is technically the third and which is the fourth line. My guess is that Martin and Haley will determine that (oddly enough).

My point, I think the Isles will roll those bottom two lines fairly consistently. We're all assuming Reasoner will get the 4th line roll, but think about it: in a tight late game draw situation (where the KONG line is just coming off and JT's line was on before it), are you going to have Bailey taking a draw, or Reasoner? If Reasoner does, does that mean our 4th line is our true defensive line? Weird stuff.

If anyone can remember the late 90's Devils' teams that rolled 4 lines fairly consistently, I think that's what we're going to get on a modified basis. I think the top two lines will see the bulk of the action, but the latter two lines will probably get pretty equal billing. I know a lot of people will think this could hurt Bailey's development, but I disagree. I don't equate point totals with development all the time. I think Josh was a guy who was mature three years ago, but didn't belong here yet. End of story.
You can tell the difference between 3 & 4th lines by the minutes they get and also when they get put out. The bench usually shortens at the end of 1 goal games.
I doubt our 4th line gets more than 9 minutes. If Comeau is expected to provide the scoring that we know he can, it will not come form playing 9 minutes. That is not why we are paying him $2.5MM. He just has to start driving the net more.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
You can tell the difference between 3 & 4th lines by the minutes they get and also when they get put out. The bench usually shortens at the end of 1 goal games.
I doubt our 4th line gets more than 9 minutes. If Comeau is expected to provide the scoring that we know he can, it will not come form playing 9 minutes. That is not why we are paying him $2.5MM. He just has to start driving the net more.
I think the Comeau-Reasoner and Bailey-Parenteau partnerships have been a purely preseason thing.

This week the club will normalize its lines much as we've figured them to be throughout the summer.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 09:34 AM
seafoam

Didn't Comeau struggle at the RW last year?

Old
10-02-2011, 09:57 AM
BillD

Quote:
Not that I remember. Comeau prefers the LW (off wing) but I have always felt that he is better on RW, much less mistake prone. You will not see him circle the net when he attacks down the right side, he either shoots it, passes it or chips it around the net. For some reason he is much more decisive coming down the right side no matter which side he lined up on.
When he comes down the left side he is more prome to pull up and hesitate, or to pull off a COZO.
imo, playing RW is his better side.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 10:01 AM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Not that I remember. Comeau prefers the LW (off wing) but I have always felt that he is better on RW, much less mistake prone. You will not see him circle the net when he attacks down the right side, he either shoots it, passes it or chips it around the net. For some reason he is much more decisive coming down the right side no matter
which side he lined up on.
When he comes down the left side he is more prome to pull up and hesitate, or to pull off a COZO.
imo, playing RW is his better side.
Ok, because last night he was on the LW and would skate it into the zone, pull up, and just lug it all the way to the RW and take a bad angle shot or dump it behind the net.

Old
10-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

Quote:

Moulson-JT-Parenteau
King Kong line or W.E
Rolston-Bails-Nino

Streit-Jurcina
AMac-Hammer
Eaton-Staios
I think Comeau stays on the 3rd line. The only way Nino goes on the 3rd line is if you get rid of Rolston.

Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
When one takes his style into consideration, it's no surprise that he's generally been more effective on the LW side.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:20 PM
GoodNewfieBoy
Jim,coach Leafs too?

Guys who is your starting goalie? Thanks

GoodNewfieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:45 PM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCanadianBoy View Post
Most likely DiPietro.

KingLio21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodCanadianBoy View Post
They are probably gonna play 2-3 goalies and see who sticks.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:06 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
They are probably gonna play 2-3 goalies and see who sticks.
But shellac DP with glue beforehand.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:31 AM
LuminousNYI

I was at the game as well Saturday night. Eaton, Mottau and Reese better not play any real minutes for this team, well Eaton can play on the bottom pair. I was literally saying out loud as Boston was driving into the zone "I wish we had better defensemen" and BOOM. goal. The guy sitting in front of me turned around and was laughing at what I said.

I really hope they can get a top 4 D somewhere. It was great to see Streit playing again. That said, I am excited for the season to start.

LuminousNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:46 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
But shellac DP with glue beforehand.
Glue beforehand, and a Bengay bath afterwards.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote