Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#7 Defenseman in Boston

Old
09-25-2011, 03:07 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

vCash: 500
Kampfer has gotten it done with the big boys in the past. I'm excited Bart looks good but I stick with Stevie.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 04:34 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwineTickler View Post
Kampfer has gotten it done with the big boys in the past. I'm excited Bart looks good but I stick with Stevie.
Honestly since I think the #7 defenseman won't get much playing time, I kind of think Kampfer and Bartowski will share the job at the start of the year. Both guys going back and forth to Providence. Each spending some time in the Press Box in Boston and also in the lineup in Providence.

No reason to have either of them go long stretches without playing.

In terms of Warsofsky. He has talent, but I really believe he needs to be in Providence working on playing against men. He is going to need to learn to compete in front of the net at the pro level

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 04:58 PM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

Kampfer certainly has odds. He's already played in the NHL at fairly high level. I wouldn't bet against him at all.

But the guy who has impressed me the most in the small amount of time I've been able to watch, is Colby Cohen. Big frame, solid skater... I've noticed some consistently sound positioning, smart reads and a pretty concise puck-moving game. Nothing flashy or exciting by any means, but I don't always want that from a #7 guy.

I don't think he'll be the lone survivor, but I haven't seen a lot of press or enthusiasm for him... and I've liked what I've seen.
I have too. He's quietly having a strong camp.

09-25-2011, 05:15 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler SeQuin View Post
McKelvie's skating is is very impressive ... Needs to make better decisions with the puck, but that could be rust from not playing the game for 2 years. I don't see him jumping right into a role in Boston, especially since he needs to play right now and not sit, but the way he's performed has been a pleasant surprise. I could easily see him rediscovering his puckhandling game in Providence and being the first/second callup should we lose a couple guys to injury.

I think the "7th spot" is going to come down to Kampfer and Warsofsky, with Kampfer prevailing.
I'm with you on all your points. McKelvie needs a regular shift and that's not a bad thing.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:15 PM
TCL40

Quote:
Honestly since I think the #7 defenseman won't get much playing time
I disagree. I figure at various points during the season there are going to be injuries so expect the 7th D to get a good bit of playing time-just a lot less compared to the top 6.

I actually figure there will be some points where the 7th D-man is playing and they may need to call up somebody from Providence to play.

Also who knows what will happen with trades before the deadline (McQuaid was the 7th D and earned his spot last year-pushing Stuart to the press box. On paper I still think the team needs another top 3 defenseman.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Duguay2

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
Based on preseason performance exclusively, I give it to Bartkowski, but if you compare how he played in the NHL vs how Kampfer played, I think it goes to Kampfer, with Cohen being third in line.
I'd concur based on what I saw here live in Ottawa.

Bartkowski wasn't flashy, but it was a pretty solid outing. Some of the other guys like Warsofsky, Kampfer and Cohen were better skaters, but they did more coughing.

I still believe 7th comes down to Bart or Kamper.

Duguay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:19 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwineTickler View Post
I like Bartkowski`s stronger physical play in the limited action I have seen him in thus far.

Either way, regardless of who snags the 7th spot, it has to be a good feeling for all knowing that if/when injury occurs, Chia has solid options to count on.

Cohen has surprised me but that`s more about not knowing one thing about his game prior. A few mistakes last night but show me a young defenseman who doesn`t make those.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:03 PM
TheRza80
Since The 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

Kampfer certainly has odds. He's already played in the NHL at fairly high level. I wouldn't bet against him at all.

But the guy who has impressed me the most in the small amount of time I've been able to watch, is Colby Cohen. Big frame, solid skater... I've noticed some consistently sound positioning, smart reads and a pretty concise puck-moving game. Nothing flashy or exciting by any means, but I don't always want that from a #7 guy.

I don't think he'll be the lone survivor, but I haven't seen a lot of press or enthusiasm for him... and I've liked what I've seen.
This is what I've been talking to my Dad about. I am really impressed with his work.

TheRza80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Alan Ryan

Update: #7 defenseman

Kampfer is hurt and Bartkowski struggling a bit. Here is what Coach Julien had to say after the Islanders game. From Douglas Flynn at NESN:

Things didn't go quite as well for defense hopeful Matt Bartkowski, who took a bad holding penalty and made some other costly gaffes. Bartkowski has the inside track on the seventh defense job with Steven Kampfer sidelined with a knee injury, but he still has some work to do.

"Bart had a bit of a struggle tonight," Julien said. "So we'll have to make some decisions here."

Will the Bruins hang in there with Bartkowski, try another young guy or acquire a veteran to stabilize the #7 spot?

Full article: http://www.nesn.com/2011/10/bruins-s...high-note.html

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 01:06 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Kampfer is hurt and Bartkowski struggling a bit. Here is what Coach Julien had to say after the Islanders game. From Douglas Flynn at NESN:

Things didn't go quite as well for defense hopeful Matt Bartkowski, who took a bad holding penalty and made some other costly gaffes. Bartkowski has the inside track on the seventh defense job with Steven Kampfer sidelined with a knee injury, but he still has some work to do.

"Bart had a bit of a struggle tonight," Julien said. "So we'll have to make some decisions here."

Will the Bruins hang in there with Bartkowski, try another young guy or acquire a veteran to stabilize the #7 spot?

Full article: http://www.nesn.com/2011/10/bruins-s...high-note.html
Maybe they ought to give Cohen a chance. I've liked what I've seen of him.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Alicat
Charge!

Warsofsky. IMO, the best D prospect of camp.

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 01:25 AM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Agreed.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 02:20 AM
Guiledoom
Formerly JRull86

Quote:
I agree, but I'd rather he get everyday minutes in Providence than sitting in the press box night after night. Same goes for Cohen.

I'm assuming Kampfer gets the nod once his MCL heals, until then it's Bartowski.

Guiledoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 08:27 AM
GoBs

Quote:
Yes.

He is our best d prospect outside of Hamilton.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

I worry about Kampfer's fragility. He's gotten hurt a lot for a player who only came up in the middle of last season. I'll be looking to trade him if I can get value, and work up another more well built defenseman like Cohen or Bartkowski. Kampfer's willing, but he just isn't big enough to play the style he plays against NHL sized players. And if he doesn't play that style he isn't useful.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
I worry about Kampfer's fragility. He's gotten hurt a lot for a player who only came up in the middle of last season. I'll be looking to trade him if I can get value, and work up another more well built defenseman like Cohen or Bartkowski. Kampfer's willing, but he just isn't big enough to play the style he plays against NHL sized players. And if he doesn't play that style he isn't useful.
Is that Italian?

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

It's not a major award, that's for sure

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 10:42 AM
GoBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
He needed to bulk up, and it doesn't look like he did this offseason.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote