HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Gomez thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2011, 07:00 AM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Gomez looked real good tonight. Notice where he was when he scored. A place he didn't seem to be very often last year. I still am not his biggest fan, I seen a couple plays with him breaking down the right side and instead of forcing the play towards the net, he stopped, curled and waited for the trailer in typical gomez fashion, resulting in turnovers or lack of sustained pressure in the offensive zone, but if he continues to play the way he has, i can live with that every now and then.

Old
10-02-2011, 07:20 AM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Gomez looked real good tonight. Notice where he was when he scored. A place he didn't seem to be very often last year. I still am not his biggest fan, I seen a couple plays with him breaking down the right side and instead of forcing the play towards the net, he stopped, curled and waited for the trailer in typical gomez fashion, resulting in turnovers or lack of sustained pressure in the offensive zone, but if he continues to play the way he has, i can live with that every now and then.
He was definitely dominant. Bad pass in the defensive zone but apart from that, very solid game. If that line can sustain this kind of pressure, we'll finally get good offense from that team.

Old
10-02-2011, 09:25 AM
BLONG7

Gomez had a decent preseason, and hopefully gave him some confidence for the regular season...he knows he has to bring it, for this team to have any success. The goals he has scored this preseason, have him around the net, which has been great to see!

Old
10-02-2011, 09:28 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Gomez brought it this pre-season.

I'm seeing a big year from Scotty too Hotty.

Old
10-02-2011, 09:42 AM
ruski17

Will it last?

Old
10-02-2011, 10:04 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
I seen a couple plays with him breaking down the right side and instead of forcing the play towards the net, he stopped, curled and waited for the trailer in typical gomez fashion, resulting in turnovers or lack of sustained pressure in the offensive zone, but if he continues to play the way he has, i can live with that every now and then.
Agreed.

Besides, the occasional curl can help set up the other option of driving through, with the defence unsure what he will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Gomez had a decent preseason, and hopefully gave him some confidence for the regular season...he knows he has to bring it, for this team to have any success. The goals he has scored this preseason, have him around the net, which has been great to see!
He is not going to score a lot of goals with a wicked blast from a distance; he HAS to be around the net to have a chance to get over 10 goals per year, and must also get the occasional breakaway, which represented one of his pre-season goals too.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-02-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: merged
Old
10-02-2011, 10:11 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
Will it last?
Is it more fun to enjoy the current hot streak or is it more fun to worry about when it will end?

Old
10-02-2011, 10:20 AM
HCH

Quote:
I agree... and I also agree with the other posters who have said that Gomez seems to be going to the tougher parts of the ice and we can see the results.

Old
10-02-2011, 10:44 AM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Is it more fun to enjoy the current hot streak or is it more fun to worry about when it will end?
It's not even a hot streak, these are meaningless games. He hasn't scored a single point yet.

Old
10-02-2011, 10:51 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
It's not even a hot streak, these are meaningless games. He hasn't scored a single point yet.
Ok, let me ask you this, would you prefer him to play the way he has the last game or the way he did last year?

Old
10-02-2011, 01:48 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Good to hear about Gomez....I had but given up on him

Old
10-02-2011, 03:11 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Ok, let me ask you this, would you prefer him to play the way he has the last game or the way he did last year?
Funny how the negative nancy's can't answer such a simple question. They refuse to say anything positive and yet they call themselves fans.

Old
10-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Haha the cheerleaders around here amuse me. When we lose and look terrible they say "chill it's preseason" but when we win they say "OMG gomez is going to score 100 points! See I told YOUZZZZZ!!!!!"

I guess the "preseason" excuse only comes into effect when it is in their favor.
I don't even think anyone here said he would score more than 50 points. They're just being cautiously optimistic about him. Relax, don't get your panties in a twist.

Old
10-02-2011, 05:22 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Quote:
Funny how the negative nancy's can't answer such a simple question. They refuse to say anything positive and yet they call themselves fans.
*******, I'm not a "negative nancy" I'm just sick of the bipolar-ism rampant among you fickle sports fans. You give sane hockey fans a bad name.

Let him play something that means more than a scrimmage before you declare he's playing like anything, much less "good".

These games are MEANINGLESS. If he scored a hat-trick every game I still wouldn't bat an eye, these games ARE MEANINGLESS. As far as I'm concerned his last game was when we lost to Boston in game 7 and he sucked, just like he did every other game that series and almost every game last season. He gave the puck away, misfired, mispassed, and brought an entire line down for over 82 games last year, he has NO faith on my behalf.

Gomez was worse than trash. He was worse than "snake-bit". He was worse than "streaky". He had no streak, he had nothing. Just a J-hook and a giveaway, five to eight times a game. He was terrible, probably the WORST bang-for-buck player in the NHL. THE WORST.

To get out of being THE WORST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE you have to deliver something more than a good effort in a scrimmage.

He obviously did nothing to change his game throughout last season, even when things were obviously not working therefore I have no faith in him or his stupid bandwagon fanbase who always need an underdog to cheer for. You're probably the same hockey-blind idiots who were running Price out of town because feelgood story Jaro Halak had two good rounds in the playoffs. Or think Andrei Kostitsyn can "turn it around" and Roman Hamrlik is the final key to the puzzle and thing that Gainey was a terrible GM or Gauthier losing Dominic Moore was a travesty. If not you personally than the rest of you, you know who you are. STOP BEING SO DENSE.

If it isn't in the 82+Playoff games IT. DOES. NOT. COUNT.

Gomez can pull off some sick moves in as many scrimmages as he wants, I can too.

EDIT: If you think that Gomez getting anything less than 60 points is worth cheering about and saying "I-told-you-so's" you are feeble-minded. With 5M$ Gionta and budding star Patches on his wings, with Markov and Subban providing the passes and with our typically great powerplay and with his stupidly high salary, 60 points is the cut-off, not the maximum.

Last edited by WhiskeySeven: 10-02-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old
10-02-2011, 05:55 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

it's still a simlple enough question. instead of having to go off on some tl;dr rant, you could have simply said

"yes i would prefer that gomez starts the real season playing something that resembles what we saw in the preseason as opposed to whatever he was trying to do last year."

Old
10-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
*******, I'm not a "negative nancy" I'm just sick of the bipolar-ism rampant among you fickle sports fans. You give sane hockey fans a bad name.

Let him play something that means more than a scrimmage before you declare he's playing like anything, much less "good".

These games are MEANINGLESS. If he scored a hat-trick every game I still wouldn't bat an eye, these games ARE MEANINGLESS. As far as I'm concerned his last game was when we lost to Boston in game 7 and he sucked, just like he did every other game that series and almost every game last season. He gave the puck away, misfired, mispassed, and brought an entire line down for over 82 games last year, he has NO faith on my behalf.

Gomez was worse than trash. He was worse than "snake-bit". He was worse than "streaky". He had no streak, he had nothing. Just a J-hook and a giveaway, five to eight times a game. He was terrible, probably the WORST bang-for-buck player in the NHL. THE WORST.

To get out of being THE WORST PLAYER IN THE LEAGUE you have to deliver something more than a good effort in a scrimmage.

He obviously did nothing to change his game throughout last season, even when things were obviously not working therefore I have no faith in him or his stupid bandwagon fanbase who always need an underdog to cheer for. You're probably the same hockey-blind idiots who were running Price out of town because feelgood story Jaro Halak had two good rounds in the playoffs. Or think Andrei Kostitsyn can "turn it around" and Roman Hamrlik is the final key to the puzzle and thing that Gainey was a terrible GM or Gauthier losing Dominic Moore was a travesty. If not you personally than the rest of you, you know who you are. STOP BEING SO DENSE.

Gomez can pull off some sick moves in as many scrimmages as he wants, I can too.

EDIT: If you think that Gomez getting anything less than 60 points is worth cheering about and saying "I-told-you-so's" you are feeble-minded. With 5M$ Gionta and budding star Patches on his wings, with Markov and Subban providing the passes and with our typically great powerplay and with his stupidly high salary, 60 points is the cut-off, not the maximum.
Funny how you say other fans will give the sane fans such as yourself a bad rep, and then follow it up with such a hateful post.

Also, any sane fan will not set the absolute minimal standard for gomez's production next year to more than his career average. Any sane fan will overlook the salary bcuz they know, not in amillion year, will gomez come close to leaving up to it.

Youre not a sane fan, at least not with gomez. You are so full of hate and bitterness that you are unable to even acknowledge the slightest bit of encouraging sign. Instead you go on a rampage. Ya, real sane!

Old
10-02-2011, 06:16 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
it's still a simlple enough question. instead of having to go off on some tl;dr rant, you could have simply said

"yes i would prefer that gomez starts the real season playing something that resembles what we saw in the preseason as opposed to whatever he was trying to do last year."
Obviously reading and writing aren't your forte, thanks for your attempt to contribute though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Funny how you say other fans will give the sane fans such as yourself a bad rep, and then follow it up with such a hateful post.

Also, any sane fan will not set the absolute minimal standard for gomez's production next year to more than his career average. Any sane fan will overlook the salary bcuz they know, not in amillion year, will gomez come close to leaving up to it.

Youre not a sane fan, at least not with gomez. You are so full of hate and bitterness that you are unable to even acknowledge the slightest bit of encouraging sign. Instead you go on a rampage. Ya, real sane!
I brought up his salary once and despite YOUR better judgement it does factor into things and as much as his salary has become a tool for Gomez-paladins to say "you only hate him for his salary" it is still a detriment to the team.

Gomez's career average is one of under-achieving; two years with the Rangers and two years with the Habs. And I don't have a "minimum" with Gomez, I have no expectations whatsoever because he's been disappointing everybody for 4 years straight now.

He says he's been doing better and wants to atone for last season - what catches me is that he did not bother to atone for anything during the last two seasons, not even 3/4ths of the way through last season when it was evident that he was at fault, why believe he'll behave differently now? - so maybe he'll do better. Maybe he won't. Maybe he'll fundamentally change his game. But probably not.

Sanity and annoyance are not exclusive. In fact, more able, patient, smarter fans would be even more annoyed to see such a fickle, stupid, silly fanbase embarrass themselves after every incident and every preseason game. I used to be like that, I flipped a lit after every non-move by Gainey/Julien/Carbo and then I wizened up and now it's annoying to see the rest of the board keep being so childish. The Halak/Price post-playoff trade fiasco really opened my eyes - you can't look at things short-term and expect to seem like anything other than stupid. Halak had no longevity, he was burnt out during the Philly series and even before then he had 3 really bad games to counter-act his 3 excellent games - it was plain to see but 70% of the fans refused to acknowledge it.

Same goes for Gomez. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, especially when the eggs have been rotten for 4 straight years now.

tl;dr - Gomez has none NOTHING so claiming that he's accomplishing something is both stupid and counter-productive.

edit: this is the same fickle, silly fanbase that gives the entire fanbase a terrible name on HFboards like in the Malone thread. And hateful is the wrong word, annoyed/irritated/vexed would be closer to the truth. I don't hate Gomez, I don't know him but he seems like a nice guy.

Last edited by WhiskeySeven: 10-02-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old
10-02-2011, 06:34 PM
coolasprICE

I expect Gomez to play center this year.

Old
10-02-2011, 07:28 PM
macavoy

whiskey,

Your the one coming off as fickle. My posts are pretty tame and straight forward compared to yours. I didn't even offer an opinion on Gomez, I didn't say he was good, or going to be awesome, all I merely said was isn't it better to enjoy the positives than worry about the negatives.

Old
10-02-2011, 08:57 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Quote:
whiskey,

Your the one coming off as fickle. My posts are pretty tame and straight forward compared to yours. I didn't even offer an opinion on Gomez, I didn't say he was good, or going to be awesome, all I merely said was isn't it better to enjoy the positives than worry about the negatives.
What about "tame" or "straight forward"? Why did you bother posting anything in the first place if you're just saying that you didn't say anything of value?

I'm "coming off as fickle"? You're the one who ignores my very real, albeit cynical, argument (after insulting my "fandom" mind you) and just said that you don't even have an opinion on Gomez. Why did you even bother posting in the first place if you can't even argue your point?

I didn't take any personal shots or make any strawman arguments, you can easily muster up some points to counter mine (tap into your positivity well ) like actually decent contributors like MathMan do. Even he would be careful to say anything about Gomez in the preseason because the games don't count, the stakes are different, the rinks are even different and the motivations are different.

My theory is that Gomez is playing hard(er) than he can sustain throughout the season to get the fickle fans (you, Kriss E, Team990 listeners, etc.) and the media on his side as soon as possible - and that he'll regress again*. It's not evil or wrong of him to do so, but I'm a bit more careful than to fall for it. The opposition and his teammates might not be playing as hard as he is and therefore he will/can/does stand out from the rest. When the games matter and there's something at stake, when everyone is playing hard and grinding it out in game 37 in the long winter will we see the "Sept 14-Sept 30 of 2011" Gomez or the Gomez of 2007-2011?

Positivity? Subban and Price. Gorges looking great. Emelin throwing hits. Diaz with his tape-to-tape passes. Cammy, Patches and Cole. Enough said.

Don't call me a negative nelly or insult my fandom because you lack sense.

*To elaborate, by the time you're in the NHL you all have the basic skills to kick ass if it was 1 on 0. You can all pass, shoot and skate very very well. It's the drive, and mental and physical ability that factor into a lot of things. Gomez is motivated in a very unique way, coming off a career worst season, and he wants to atone for it and get the heat off asap. As soon as he DOES play well (ppg streak) and other teams ramp up their pressure on him his game is gonna fall down, especially 5 on 5. There is no way Gomez of the past 4 season gets anything more than 35 ES points, even though he really should be.

tl;dr Gomez ain't gonna pull himself up much and it's self-denial to think otherwise. There is all the reason in the world to think that he'll be just as bad/mediocre as he's been all along and to continue his terrible trend and he's shown very little to convince me otherwise.

Old
10-02-2011, 10:57 PM
bjac

Quote:

Wow, thats quite the self righteous rant. You've put alot of words in alot of peoples mouths there... Thats a great way to make a arguement .

Its obvious you don't like the guy, but to claim hes the worst player in the league is rediculous. Even at the lowest point in his career, he is not even close to being the worst player in the league.

Whether I agree with them or not, ripping on posters for predicting that he will have a better year or even a "good" year, with abosolute "certainty" that they are wrong, is being ignorant.

We all know hes overpayed, and that will never change. But when judging him strictly by his play, money should be left out of the equation. He sucked last year, we know this, but because others feel that last will be the outlier in his career as far as statistics go, doesn't mean that they are "dense". You are being more narrow sighted than anyone here.

I know our fan base is bi-polar, hyping things that shouldnt be hyped and s***ing on things that shouldnt be shat on, but fans have a right to be positive about players making steps in the right direction, whether it be in practice, the preseason or the season itself (and whether you agree with it or not).

Gomez doesn't "need" to hit 60 points to contribute to this team, he just needs to play good hockey. Sure 60 points would be nice, but there is ALOT more to the game than putting up points.

Last edited by bjac: 10-02-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old
10-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Gomez brought it this pre-season.

I'm seeing a big year from Scotty too Hotty.
He should do the worm every time he scores.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:18 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

vCash: 50
Quote:

Eh..nevertheless it is important to recognize his good play no matter what the time of the year. It's not about the goals or assists but rather about the areas he is going to, shooting the puck more and making safe yet smart plays rather than risky ones. While the points won't matter, I think we can collectively agree that the way he has played is what we have been waiting for. Going to the net and actually shooting the puck are two of his biggest criticisms since he left New Jersey, and we are seeing that lately. Granted, it may be preseason, but I'm trying to be optimistic and hope he keeps doing those things.

Old
10-03-2011, 05:51 AM
HotPie

If being hopeful and optimistic about Gomez's play this year makes me bi-polar and insane, so be it.

I'd much rather be hopeful, optimistic, and insane than to be a bitter, hateful and "sane" person.

Old
10-03-2011, 06:24 AM
Habs12max

Quote:
What about "tame" or "straight forward"? Why did you bother posting anything in the first place if you're just saying that you didn't say anything of value?

I'm "coming off as fickle"? You're the one who ignores my very real, albeit cynical, argument (after insulting my "fandom" mind you) and just said that you don't even have an opinion on Gomez. Why did you even bother posting in the first place if you can't even argue your point?

I didn't take any personal shots or make any strawman arguments, you can easily muster up some points to counter mine (tap into your positivity well ) like actually decent contributors like MathMan do. Even he would be careful to say anything about Gomez in the preseason because the games don't count, the stakes are different, the rinks are even different and the motivations are different.

My theory is that Gomez is playing hard(er) than he can sustain throughout the season to get the fickle fans (you, Kriss E, Team990 listeners, etc.) and the media on his side as soon as possible - and that he'll regress again*. It's not evil or wrong of him to do so, but I'm a bit more careful than to fall for it. The opposition and his teammates might not be playing as hard as he is and therefore he will/can/does stand out from the rest. When the games matter and there's something at stake, when everyone is playing hard and grinding it out in game 37 in the long winter will we see the "Sept 14-Sept 30 of 2011" Gomez or the Gomez of 2007-2011?

Positivity? Subban and Price. Gorges looking great. Emelin throwing hits. Diaz with his tape-to-tape passes. Cammy, Patches and Cole. Enough said.

Don't call me a negative nelly or insult my fandom because you lack sense.

*To elaborate, by the time you're in the NHL you all have the basic skills to kick ass if it was 1 on 0. You can all pass, shoot and skate very very well. It's the drive, and mental and physical ability that factor into a lot of things. Gomez is motivated in a very unique way, coming off a career worst season, and he wants to atone for it and get the heat off asap. As soon as he DOES play well (ppg streak) and other teams ramp up their pressure on him his game is gonna fall down, especially 5 on 5. There is no way Gomez of the past 4 season gets anything more than 35 ES points, even though he really should be.

tl;dr Gomez ain't gonna pull himself up much and it's self-denial to think otherwise. There is all the reason in the world to think that he'll be just as bad/mediocre as he's been all along and to continue his terrible trend and he's shown very little to convince me otherwise.
Logic on this board is something uncomon my friend. No one will agree with you because they base their knowledge of hockey on emotions. See how they answer to you? By whining. That's why i do not post. Still, i agree with you.

Closed Thread