HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dreger Insider

Old
10-02-2011, 02:38 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Really?

I wouldn't trade Gardiner for almost anything at this point... His first training camp with 10 games of pro experience and he's been near dominant at times... Anything can happen but I wouldn't be surprised to see him develop into one of the best defenseman in the league... His skill set combined with his hockey IQ and there's no doubt about him becoming a very good defenseman..

I don't understand why the team finally gets a extremely promising prospect, and people wanna trade him.
One in the hand two in the bush ...

Parise and Stastny are probably top 20 in the league.

If the Leafs are extemely lucky that will happen with Gardiner or Kadri.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Crispz

We are all over-looking something very important here. Creating a winning culture in the dressing room can't be done by playing a team of full of kids, especially in Toronto. Burke said the reason he send down Perry and Gretzlaff to the AHL for a bit was not because they weren't ready for the NHL, it was there was a losing attitude in the dressing room he needed to remove first. Being successful in hockey is about more than just on ice talent, it's about a dressing room of men that refuse to accept losing.

Ideally you want to stay as competitive as possible and have solid youth coming down the pipe. Which is something we have now.

Crispz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
No telling why, but he was pulled from the line up last night after initially being on the game sheet, was he not? That usually indicates somethings close... Unless for injury, which none was reported.

Lehner is their goalie of the future... I don't blame them for sheltering him in the AHL.

A good young goalie on a very bad team could be detrimental to his development. It's the one position where every mistake ends up on the score board.

I think it's a good move with young goalies.
Sooooo.....how do you know we have a very bad team, unless I misread it?

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 02:55 PM
deprw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
This opinion of yours based on years of past experience will not be well received.

During the intermission Ron Maclean mentioned that Ottawa will begin the season with 4 new kids making the starting roster Mika Zibanejad (age 18), Jared Cowen (20), David Runblad (20), Stephane Da Costa (22).

So "play the kids" rather than "trade the kids" for instant help is not standard practice and in the past has turned out badly for us.. Names like Scott Neidermayer and Roberto Luongo etc selected with Leaf picks as proof that making sacrifices for instant help has consequences.
I honor everyones opinion and I hope people honor my opinion. You and daveleaf have been with Leafs much longer than I have and seen a lot. Still sticking up with Leafs and contributing trough fan forums where lots of other people are much younger than you are. I respect that. I also respect that opinion if someone wants a full rebuild. Thou I think time for that went away long time ago.

I just hope you could respect other peoples opinions too. Burke has made mistakes during his tenure and he will make mistakes in the future too. There isn't perfect GMs in sports. Everyone makes mistakes. This way we are building our team might be wrong, but is the only way forward now. We have to look this trough.

I don't mind it because I like this way. Burke took proactive way rather than reactive and passive way like Edmonton or Ottawa. You say that we shouldn't trade in this point. Maybe we shouldn't, maybe we should. Burke has made few tremendous trades in past two seasons. All depends on what his going to do now.

I like his way to really build up this organization from the ground. JFJ put our scouting in shape and when Burke took over there have been more changes for better. We have better player development, I think our scouting is better and coaching is better. Though I don't like Wilson that much, but Allaire, Cronin and Gordon are good people. Our prospect pool is better, team on ice is better. We may argue if it's time to trade for proven players or not. I think Liles for 2nd was good trade, because I think we can trade him for 2nd at the deadline. My opinion is that we should not trade Gunnarsson away. In the end though everything depends who we get back. We are in the crossroads, I think our defense is mostly set. We have players we need in our organisation, same with goalies. Our forward group is not set, Connolly and Lupul are not long time solutions. We need help there. Is right time now, deadline, next summer or next season? I don't know. I trust Burke with that decision.

And I really like our way developing prospects better than Ottawas. Okay, you can throw them into fire right away. I rather develop them further and bring them when they're really ready. Bring Kadri up when his overall game is good enough, same with Frattin, Gardiner and Aulie. I think in Ottawas case Rundblad is ready, same with Cowen, but I don't really know if it's right decision to throw Zibanejad into NHL in this stage of his development.

deprw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
Two players Burke may inquire about, may possibly consist of;

Brendan Morrow - Dallas - If they're out of the playoff picture, they may move him for youth. He's a leader, and plays a fantastic style of hockey that would fit within our system.

Shane Done - Pheonix - Exactly the same situation as Morrow, except he's a UFA after this season and will most certainly be on the market if Pheonix is out of the playoff picture or looking to reduce their payroll. IMO, he's the favourite.

Both are obvious choices and make plenty of sense for both rosters if certain scenarios play out.

One of the more far fetched possibilities is Booth in Florida. He was being shopped arond last year, and most likely will be again this year.
Not sure what is obvious about aquiring a 35 year old RW in Doan and a pending UFA 33 year old in Morrow for our young talent.

It seems like a step backward and ill timed push for a PO spot.

We are not one decent forward away from a PO spot, we are solid goal tending away from one.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Jordan

Quote:
Really?

I wouldn't trade Gardiner for almost anything at this point... His first training camp with 10 games of pro experience and he's been near dominant at times... Anything can happen but I wouldn't be surprised to see him develop into one of the best defenseman in the league... His skill set combined with his hockey IQ and there's no doubt about him becoming a very good defenseman..

I don't understand why the team finally gets a extremely promising prospect, and people wanna trade him.
Good thing we don't over-react at the results of pre-season games.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Vinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Good thing we don't over-react at the results of pre-season games.
Phil Housley wasn't that good, was he?

Vinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 04:03 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by deprw View Post

My opinion is that we should not trade Gunnarsson away. In the end though everything depends who we get back.
Good post.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote