HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cuba vs Mexico? Where to stay

Old
09-30-2011, 04:28 AM
Horseradish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
good all inclucives don't allow locals in to the resorts or on there beach to sell there crap. they will have a set few that can come in to sell trinkets. the low end resorts allow a free for all and bug the hell out of you. this also happens in town. look for a good deal and find a 5 star. don't cheap out. you can get a good 5 star on sale for around 1100=1300
No, every single all-inclusive resort is stupid and you proved why.

If you're going to another country but you don't want any interaction with locals, then don't bother going. Keep your closed-minded attitudes back home cuz you embarrass those of us Canadians with a conscience.

Horseradish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post

If you're going to another country but you don't want any interaction with locals, then don't bother going. Keep your closed-minded attitudes back home cuz you embarrass those of us Canadians with a conscience.
Seriously. I agree. The best part, for me, is interacting with the locals. The only real Mexican food worth trying is the food you find in towns tourists are afraid to visit. Close-minded people indeed.

As for OP's question:

Cuba. I loved it there and want to go back ASAP. Love the food, the towns, and most importantly, the people.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:32 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girth View Post
Disclaimer: I've never been to Cuba, so hopefully my opinions aren't way off.

It would seem that Cuba will be going through some big changes in the near future. Raúl Castro is implementing several economic reforms and US embargoes can't last much longer considering those reforms. I'd like to visit Cuba while the country is still a unique experience.
As soon as Fidel dies, that country will become modernized instantly. I don't think anyone doubts that. Good for the people, but it will lose its charm.

Old
09-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Marconius

Quote:

Isn't just as closeminded to presume you know why other people want to travel? For what it's worth, I agree with you, but if someone is not interested in the locals and they just want to hit up a place with sun, surf & beaches, who are you say otherwise? Canadians with a conscience? The hell does conscience have to do with escaping -30 weather for a week?

Marconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 09:44 AM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:

LOL. Sometimes a person is coming off 3 straight months of working 14 hours on night shift in the frozen tundra and all they want is some sunshine, a beach, heat, easy access to booze and some relaxation.

I'm not going to go rough it with the locals to do that. I've done that, it was fun but it's not always what I'm looking for in a vacation. Sometimes I'm going to go to an all-inclusive and relax.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:05 AM
BleedingOil

Jamaica is where it's at mon.

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Beerfish

Also to throw out another generalization, Cuba had some of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. The racial mixes there just produce gorgeous gals.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Eddy Oiler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_n_copper View Post
I am not going to get involved in the debate about "coked up riggers" but the bolded part is nonsense. Many people who have been to the Mayan Riviera do go back to Puerto Vallarta. Have you ever heard of Huatulco? It is on the Pacific coast of Oaxaca and I know many people who have been to the Mayan who absolutely rave about Huatulco. Unfortunately it is kind of hard to get to by air, but if they ever build a bigger airport there I am definitely going.
Thanks for the tip..I'm from Victoria and to be honest maybe being spoiled here, PV is not much better..same sand, same beaches, just a little warmer..almost every person who lives out here say the same..Once you go to the other side, you dont go to PV. Not saying PV is bad..craphole was a bit of an exaggeration.

it also seems depending on where you live in canada, better deals come available..we can go to pv for $699 all inclusive..

and it all over the news and is pretty well understood its not the locals causing the trouble in northern Alberta..its the transients away from home, whom many are from BC, fueled up on booze and drugs with deep pockets.

Eddy Oiler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:49 AM
MLew10

Quote:
Don't stay at a stupid all-inclusive resort. I've been all over Mexico, never at an all-inclusive, and I'm dying to go to Cuba.

On the other hand, all-inclusives are ALL over Mexico, and if you're anywhere near the water, they're sure to screw up your experience and infuriate you as well.
I tend to agree with this. I have been to Mexico like 6 times, most times at all inclusive, and I have to say that it is a bit over rated.

Sure you can eat and drink whenever and whatever you want. You get so sick of the food after a while that the Burger King in the airport on the way home feels like a gourmet meal.

If the resort is far from the nearest town, it can get sooo boring in the daytime. You wake up, eat breakfast, sit on the beach, eat lunch, sit on the beach, take a nap, eat dinner, watch a boring show, drink, sleep. Repeat.

For first timers, all-inclusives are awesome. After a while tho, it kind of gets old. I would rather explore towns and eat at local restaurants.

As for the Mexico being dangerous thing, that is a joke. I have been to Mayan, Playa Del Carmen, Zihuatanejo and have never ever been scared at any time. Mexicans are some of the friendliest people in the world. The only time I was ever scared was the 1 night we had to stay in Mexico City. (I wouldn't suggest staying there haha)

MLew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Eddy Oiler*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLew10 View Post
I tend to agree with this. I have been to Mexico like 6 times, most times at all inclusive, and I have to say that it is a bit over rated.

Sure you can eat and drink whenever and whatever you want. You get so sick of the food after a while that the Burger King in the airport on the way home feels like a gourmet meal.

If the resort is far from the nearest town, it can get sooo boring in the daytime. You wake up, eat breakfast, sit on the beach, eat lunch, sit on the beach, take a nap, eat dinner, watch a boring show, drink, sleep. Repeat.

For first timers, all-inclusives are awesome. After a while tho, it kind of gets old. I would rather explore towns and eat at local restaurants.

As for the Mexico being dangerous thing, that is a joke. I have been to Mayan, Playa Del Carmen, Zihuatanejo and have never ever been scared at any time. Mexicans are some of the friendliest people in the world. The only time I was ever scared was the 1 night we had to stay in Mexico City. (I wouldn't suggest staying there haha)
Get up, eat, drink, lay on the beach, lots of "quality" time with the gf if you know what I mean, relax, party at night, repeat..for 10 days...can not wait. Exactly what a vacation should be.

Eddy Oiler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:06 AM
MLew10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Oiler View Post
Get up, eat, drink, lay on the beach, lots of "quality" time with the gf if you know what I mean, relax, party at night, repeat..for 10 days...can not wait. Exactly what a vacation should be.
You're right. I didn't necessarily mean it was a bad thing. I just mean the food, drinking (piss rum/vodka), and laying on the beach gets a little old after a while. Don't get me wrong it's still awesome tho.

MLew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:24 AM
oildesi99

YAh im just looking at a resrot becasue its my first time going and just looking to relax and swim a little. But I think im leaning towards Varedero, apparently the resort we're thinking of is only 10 min away from downtown.

That SO interesting about tipping everyone there with band-aids, notebooks etc. So you would recommend i raid the dollar store first? Even tipping the desk man/lady and maids this way?

oildesi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:03 PM
bardfromedson

Quote:

i have no problem interacting with locals. I have a problem being pestered for hours on end when im lounging on my chair by the pool or on the beach with the same crap i always buy. I have been around the world with a backpack and lived with many a local. thats being a traveler.big difference. when im a tourest at a 5 star resort i want to be treated with great service. i have no problem suporting the local ecomomy but i don't need 100 people trying to sell the same thing i have already bought. i help my parents who support families in mexico and are good friends with a lot of them. but i don't want them knocking on the front door of there house to buy crap there. do you like salesman at your door and telamarketers calling all day long? if you do give out your number and i will pass it along. when i go into town from the resort that is a different game. i have no problem with them trying to sell me stuff because im on there turf.
it has nothing with being closed minded.

bardfromedson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Column5

My $0.02....

Haven't been to Cuba, but the general consensus seems to concur with what you stated; great people and beaches but so-so food (at best).

Have traveled to several locations in Mexico on both coasts. My personal favourite and recommendation is Playa Del Carmen. While there are some great resorts around PDC, do yourself a favour and grab a hotel, or even better a condo, right in town. Great beaches right in town, amazing restaurants, lots of bars and clubs. There are a lot of good excursions to take: a day on the beach at Tulum, ruins, cenotes, etc. Good shopping on 5th ave., but don't stay on 5th. Get on over to 30th and try out some of the local restaurants, just excellent food and prices. If you stay in a condo you can buy groceries in the Megastore or Walmart; cook one night and hit a great restaurant the next. You may save a few dollars by getting an all-inclusive package, but the experience will not compare at all.

We have never felt unsafe in our travels there. Just respect the laws down there like you would back here. Personally, I wouldn't go staggering drunkenly around the streets at 2:00 am in Alberta, and I wouldn't do so in Mexico either. Notwithstanding the (somewhat questionable) allegations made by a Canadian couple in PDC last year, I've never heard of any tourists having issues with the local authorities. One exception to that may be with the traffic cops on the highway if you are driving a rental, as they do sometimes target the tourists and try to pad their monthly income. There are some good forums out there that can provide info on this and other considerations.

Whatever choice you make, enjoy your experience and be aware and respectful of your surroundings at all times.

Column5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Column5 View Post
My $0.02....

Haven't been to Cuba, but the general consensus seems to concur with what you stated; great people and beaches but so-so food (at best).

Have traveled to several locations in Mexico on both coasts. My personal favourite and recommendation is Playa Del Carmen. While there are some great resorts around PDC, do yourself a favour and grab a hotel, or even better a condo, right in town. Great beaches right in town, amazing restaurants, lots of bars and clubs. There are a lot of good excursions to take: a day on the beach at Tulum, ruins, cenotes, etc. Good shopping on 5th ave., but don't stay on 5th. Get on over to 30th and try out some of the local restaurants, just excellent food and prices. If you stay in a condo you can buy groceries in the Megastore or Walmart; cook one night and hit a great restaurant the next. You may save a few dollars by getting an all-inclusive package, but the experience will not compare at all.

We have never felt unsafe in our travels there. Just respect the laws down there like you would back here. Personally, I wouldn't go staggering drunkenly around the streets at 2:00 am in Alberta, and I wouldn't do so in Mexico either. Notwithstanding the (somewhat questionable) allegations made by a Canadian couple in PDC last year, I've never heard of any tourists having issues with the local authorities. One exception to that may be with the traffic cops on the highway if you are driving a rental, as they do sometimes target the tourists and try to pad their monthly income. There are some good forums out there that can provide info on this and other considerations.

Whatever choice you make, enjoy your experience and be aware and respectful of your surroundings at all times.
*Best Advice*

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildesi99 View Post
YAh im just looking at a resrot becasue its my first time going and just looking to relax and swim a little. But I think im leaning towards Varedero, apparently the resort we're thinking of is only 10 min away from downtown.

That SO interesting about tipping everyone there with band-aids, notebooks etc. So you would recommend i raid the dollar store first? Even tipping the desk man/lady and maids this way?
10 Mins from Downtown? Are you ever in for a letdown- There IS no downtown. At least not in the sense you are thinking.

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:26 PM
SuperUke99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
10 Mins from Downtown? Are you ever in for a letdown- There IS no downtown. At least not in the sense you are thinking.

I have been to each place multiple times and i would never go back to mexico, the place has become more and more unsafe over the last 10yrs and its not worth the risk.

Our last trip was to Cuba and we stayed at the Jibaco Breezes for 2 weeks. Loved it. You will not regret staying there. It is all by itself on a cozy beach (not on a big strip along side 30 other resorts).

I reccomend that you check out the comments on tripadvisor.com

SuperUke99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Bodmanza
Rebuild Inception

vCash: 50
Quote:

well mr high horse, sorry to *embarrass* you every year when I go to either Mexico, Cuba, or Jamaica in winter.

How about we all put in our 2 cents without resorting to statements like the above, mmkay?

My opinion after being to both multiple times: prefer Mexico. The food really is the big selling factor, just not a fan of the Cuban cuisine for whatever reason. Beaches are generally nicer though.

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:

That's pretty much the only way to travel in Mexico, in my opinion.

Old
09-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Column5

Quote:

Zihuatanejo is a great town, but I've taken the Zihua - Acapulco corridor off my list for the time being. The resorts would be fine, but there have been a few issues the past few years so that I wouldn't wander too far off the beaten track. It's unfortunate because it's a great place, especially if you like the heat.

You're right on about the resort food, it gets old real soon. I've found that I actually stay healthier when staying off resort, buying and eating in the local stores and restaurants. 'Course reduced consumption of all-you-can-drink swill is another factor.

Column5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:30 PM
BLONG7

Been to Cuba 4 times, all in the Cayo Coco area...amazing beaches, and resorts, and as mentioned, the food in Cuba is OK...The people who work at the resorts are very friendly, and love us canadians...

That being said, we are thinking about Mexico or Dom Republic this year...we have never been to either...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Bodmanza
Rebuild Inception

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Been to Cuba 4 times, all in the Cayo Coco area...amazing beaches, and resorts, and as mentioned, the food in Cuba is OK...The people who work at the resorts are very friendly, and love us canadians...

That being said, we are thinking about Mexico or Dom Republic this year...we have never been to either...
I loved Cayo Coco! Stayed at the Iberostar, 500 m of crystal clear knee high water to wade in to. It was surreal... starfish floating by and all.

Beach on Pacific side of Mexico is not even in same class as Cuba, but I like the quaintness of PVallarta more than Cancun. Mayan Riviera is where I am headed for a second time this year.

Now Jamaica... that is one heck of a place. Good and bad lol

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 01:56 PM
nvan97

Quote:
Hey guys,

Me and the gf are planning a trip and are having trouble picking between Cuba and Mexico. We are leading towards Cuba just because Mexico is getting a little cliche.

From what i've heard so far

Mexico: Better food

Cuba: Better Beaches.

Has anyone here been to Cuba? Experiences? Recommendations? And deals that I'm currently unaware of?

Any help would be great appreciated boys/girls!

Thanks!
What exactly are you going for? I mean if you want to drink and party then Cabo is the place to go. For pure relaxation purposes the Riviera Maya is the place to go. You don't have to mix with the locals there if you don't want to but you could if that's something you would like. Mazatlan is a little more "real" Mexico. Can stay in a hotel on the beach and spend time in the city, go to authentic restaurants etc. Cuba has subpar food, at least in my experience, and is a little more rustic in the less amenities sense. Great people and the best beaches I've ever seen but I wouldn't go back because I love the food in the Mayan.

My absolute best advice would be go to the Kingsway AMA and get an appointment with Julie Bekdashe. She is one of AMAs top travel agents and has saved my wife and I thousands of dollars and found us great resorts, flights etc. on trips to Mexico (x3), Italy, and San Francisco. And to be honest I have no relation to her and have no vested interest in what she does other than the fact that she did a phenomenal job for us numerous times.

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 04:26 PM
slapshot™

Quote:
Hey guys,

Me and the gf are planning a trip and are having trouble picking between Cuba and Mexico. We are leading towards Cuba just because Mexico is getting a little cliche.

From what i've heard so far

Mexico: Better food

Cuba: Better Beaches.

Has anyone here been to Cuba? Experiences? Recommendations? And deals that I'm currently unaware of?

Any help would be great appreciated boys/girls!

Thanks!
I've been to the Mayan Riveria and the beach was awesome. Varadaro in Cuba also has good beaches.

Cuba is an eye-opener. Yes, the people are friendly but do not appear to be very happy. They will not refer to Castro by name but refer to him as, "the man". It's kinda like a creepy version of "he-who-shall-not-be-named". Excursions are all state-run and really not to par with what you will find in Mexico. I found the Cuban food to be somewhat bland. Rented a car and spent some time in old Havana. Go off the beaten path where tourists don't tread and you will see hardship and poverty. Living with meager means is different (than say in the D.R.) when there isn't that pride of ownership of a house.

Russians also holiday in Cuba and they can be great entertainment watching them getting plastered and stumbling drunk.

My experience in Cuba wasn't much of a thrill, but that doesn't mean you won't have a good time. A 4-star in Cuba is probably more like a 2-star. The bar running out of ingredients for mohitos - that's just wrong!

Yes, (as mentioned previously) the Cuban women are beautiful

slapshot™ is offline   Reply With Quote