Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ducks 2011-12 Regular Season Opener in Europe

Old
10-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Finnpin

vCash: 500
Ducks on Teemu's yacht: Sunseeker Manhattan 74 :

I think that model is suited only for 20 people so some had to take other boat too I guess.

Last edited by Finnpin: 10-02-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Ducks Arrive in Finland, Take in the Sights

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=590850
Bit of mis-infromation on that article, the ice/rink has been NHL size since the start of the SM-liiga season. Jokerit have played their all home games so far in that small rink.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 01:08 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Seems like Nelonen Pro 1 will air the the Jokerit game in Finland. That won't help me since I don't have pay tv. Hopefully someone will stream it unless nhl.com streams it as well.
**** that nelonen pro channel.. Its even worse than Urho TV. Only shows 1 game per month then the finals in SM-Liiga.. If you want to watch the finals, you haveto make an year long one way deal to it and pay whole the year just to see finals wich last like 3 weeks.. So i didint take that crap. And now those idiots get that game... Wow, i hate Nelonen, i truly hate it. Worst TV-channel ever existed on earth.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Mara

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
**** that nelonen pro channel.. Its even worse than Urho TV. Only shows 1 game per month then the finals in SM-Liiga.. If you want to watch the finals, you haveto make an year long one way deal to it and pay whole the year just to see finals wich last like 3 weeks.. So i didint take that crap. And now those idiots get that game... Wow, i hate Nelonen, i truly hate it. Worst TV-channel ever existed on earth.
Hey don't hate the player, hate the game. The way they sell those TV rights is retarded, but of course Nelonen will take advantage of it, it's a business after all...

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 01:17 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Hey don't hate the player, hate the game. The way they sell those TV rights is retarded, but of course Nelonen will take advantage of it, it's a business after all...
I would get it if they show that actual NHL game on Pro1 (Ducks - Sabres) but why they don't show that exhibition game for free? Do those idiots think someones going to buy the channel because of it? People are just going to be mad, but not buying the channel for that höntsä-game. Thats called bad business, they should've shown that game free and then advertise their pay-channel's NHL features during the game.

Also, they hold the rights, but they dont show games live on ruutu.fi.. What a jerks, they wont even show the games live on internet paystream, its Nelonen's fault that 90% dont see SM-Liiga finals. Its all they fault. Damn I just hate them, business or not.

Last edited by QnebO: 10-02-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old
10-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Finnpin

Twitter:

camfowler4 what a great day in finland. thanks to Teemu and Saku for taking care of the boys in their home country. Sauna's, boats, reindeer. #beauties

Matt_Beleskey What an amazing first day here in Helsinki .. nice little boat ride over to sauna island for a great relaxing day and some delicious salmon!

Matt_Beleskey about 4 hours of sleep in the past 32 hours #wow looks like me and my bed have one nice long night together now .. night night tweeps!

AndrewGordon10 What an amazing first day in Helsinki! I ate some Reindeer, took a boat ride, went in three Saunas and swam in the Baltic sea! #lovingeurope

Old
10-02-2011, 02:24 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

They ATE the reindeer?????????

RUDOLPH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post

One of my favourite food, delicious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saut%C3%A9ed_reindeer

Old
10-02-2011, 02:36 PM
QnebO

Quote:

Run rudolph, run!

Poronkäristys( reindeer sautée??) is the only reason I visit Kajaani. It's best thing i can think of after Metso (western capercaillie??) roast, which is even better than any italian food including pizza. A plate of metso roast in Helsinki costs about 100€, if you even can find it.

?? = just found those translations, i actually doubt if they're right..

Last edited by QnebO: 10-02-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old
10-02-2011, 02:41 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Heathens

Who brings you presents then on Christmas if you're eating Santa's transportation???

Old
10-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Mara

Quote:
Heathens

Who brings you presents then on Christmas if you're eating Santa's transportation???
Santas predecessor the Christmas goat brings the gifts. These days he likes to disguise himself as santa but he usually arrives in a Toyota Corolla.

Old
10-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Finnpin

Quote:
Heathens

We don't eat reindeer meat during Xmas so the production line is off for a while so some of the reindeers get to ride with that Coca Cola Santa.

this Finnish movie tells the truth about Santa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P2alANSe_s&feature=fvst

Last edited by Finnpin: 10-02-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old
10-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Mara

Quote:
We don't eat reindeer meat during Xmas so the production line is off for a while so some of the reindeers get to ride with that Coca Cola Santa.

this Finnish movie tells the truth about Santa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwT3wtUCv9Y&feature=fvst
Speak for yourself, in my family we eat reindeer every Christmas. As a child I had a hard time understanding why we would eat Rudolphs friends but I was told that they were of a different species, after all Santas reindeers can fly!

Old
10-02-2011, 03:06 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Why is Santa evil? I don't get it

Old
10-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Finnpin

Quote:
weird finnish humor but actually if you could see the movie he isn't really evil...more like a wild human who needs some teaching/education

Old
10-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
This should explain it more:

That Santa is nothing though compared to to the one in Futurama.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 03:14 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

vCash: 50
Borderline SFW

EDIT: Jussi was few seconds faster. I'll edit mine to Safety Instructions.

Last edited by FinRuutu: 10-02-2011 at 03:27 PM. Reason: too slow.
FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 03:15 PM
QnebO

Quote:
I think its the oldest fashion of santa claus, in Finland we "believe" in that kind santa too these days. I mean the kind, unevil santaclaus.

The old fashion of santa spanked you and it had horns. Because of those horns its still called in Finland joulupukki.

Also because of that old fashion they still say for kids that you only get brushwood as a xmas present if you dont act nicely before xmas. Because the original santa spanked you with brushwood if you werent acting nice lol.

"You better watch out

You better not cry

Better not pout

I'm telling you why

Santa Claus is coming to town"

Last edited by QnebO: 10-02-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old
10-02-2011, 03:20 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
weird finnish humor but actually if you could see the movie he isn't really evil...more like a wild human who needs some teaching/education
On a more serious note... why was the movie in half Finnish/half English? Most posters here type English just fine (probably better than I can lol). And a couple of Finns that I've met at hockey games etc although had some difficulty did a decent job and communicating.

Is English used a lot or taught in school in Finland?

Old
10-02-2011, 03:24 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
I think its the oldest fashion of santa claus, in Finland we "believe" in that kind santa too these days.

The old fashion of santa spanked you and it had horns. Because of those horns its still called in Finland joulupukki.

Also because of that old fashion they still say for kids that you only get brushwood as a xmas present if you dont act nicely before xmas. Because the original xmas spanked you with brushwood if you werent acting nice lol.

"You better watch out

You better not cry

Better not pout

I'm telling you why

Santa Claus is coming to town"
Here it's coal if you're bad... but it's interesting to see the manifestations of the traditions.

And that Santa in the other video is my kind of Santa... biting the fake kids ear a la Mike Tyson... LOVE IT!!!

Sorry for being so off topic.... the Finnish culture just raised too many questions for me.

Old
10-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Mara

Quote:
I think its the oldest fashion of santa claus, in Finland we "believe" in that kind santa too these days.

Also because of that old fashion they still say for kids that you only get brushwood as a xmas present if you dont act nicely before xmas. Because the original xmas spanked you with brushwood if you werent acting nice lol.
Lots of off-topic lol.. Before modern Christmas the 'joulupukki' was a character of the autumn harvest celebrations where it would go from house to house and expect people to feed him and keep him entertained. The clergy of course banned the old celebrations and the pukki got slowly transformed into what it is today.

Old
10-02-2011, 03:31 PM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 876
From this article on the Register
http://www.ocregister.com/sports/sel...ducks-one.html

Pure gold

Quote:
"I'm super excited," winger George Parros said before shove off. "This island, it sounds like Shangri-La. We're going across some fjord to some spa. Sounds like a 'Fantasy Island' thing. I'm not sure. Are there going to be gnomes out there waiting for us or something? I don't have a clue."
Didn't he know the gnome was on the boat with him??

kducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 03:33 PM
Finnpin

Quote:
On a more serious note... why was the movie in half Finnish/half English? Most posters here type English just fine (probably better than I can lol). And a couple of Finns that I've met at hockey games etc although had some difficulty did a decent job and communicating.

The movie was made for international markets. Dvd/blu-ray release also in the US next month.

English education starts from grade 3 when you are about 10 years old and international tv shows aren't dubbed (except some children series/movies).

Old
10-02-2011, 03:33 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

vCash: 50
Quote:

Everyone has English lessons since 3rd-4th grade. Most of TV-shows are from States and not dubbed but subtitled. Basically everyone in Finland can speak English, but only few can pronounce. Biggest problem is that almost everyone has the vocabulary but are afraid to speak so when they do it's not fluent but nervous and awkward.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 03:48 PM
QnebO

Quote:

Well, the fact that we have another official language, Swedish, and its taught from 7th grade and English is taught from 3rd grade tells you alot. Its most important foreign language easily and even more important than our second mother tongue. And you see it used even in finnish tv-commercials, because in some commercials it sounds cooler and so on..

Im sure the next generations will speak english fluent and write better because internet. Even if we allready do it pretty good (not including me, using hfboards is actually part of my plant to learn english lol)