Ducks 2011-12 Regular Season Opener in Europe

Old
10-02-2011, 03:50 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
The movie was made for international markets. Dvd/blu-ray release also in the US next month.

English education starts from grade 3 when you are about 10 years old and international tv shows aren't dubbed (except some children series/movies).
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
Everyone has English lessons since 3rd-4th grade. Most of TV-shows are from States and not dubbed but subtitled. Basically everyone in Finland can speak English, but only few can pronounce. Biggest problem is that almost everyone has the vocabulary but are afraid to speak so when they do it's not fluent but nervous and awkward.
I was trying to say "did a decent job AT communicating" my superior English skills on display today

When I spoke with the foreigners I definitely got the sense of nervousness (except for these 2 guys who were probably drunk and bought DVM and I a beer just because DVM had on a Selanne jersey)... I don't mind it at all, they probably speak better English than I could speak Finnish. So I credit them for visiting and making an attempt to speak the language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
Well, the fact that we have another official language, Swedish, and its taught from 7th grade and English is taught from 3rd grade tells you alot. Its most important foreign language easily and even more important than our second mother tongue. And you see it used even in finnish tv-commercials, because in some commercials it sounds cooler and so on..

Im sure the next generations will speak english fluent and write better because internet. Even if we allready do it pretty good (not including me, using hfboards is actually part of my plant to learn english lol)
You don't want to learn to speak/write english from here... most people don't even know how to use the proper word (i.e. their vs they're vs there)

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Mara

Quote:
Well, the fact that we have another official language, Swedish, and its taught from 7th grade and English is taught from 3rd grade tells you alot. Its most important foreign language easily and even more important than our second mother tongue. And you see it used even in finnish tv-commercials, because in some commercials it sounds cooler and so on..

Im sure the next generations will speak english fluent and write better because internet. Even if we allready do it pretty good (not including me, using hfboards is actually part of my plant to learn english lol)
You can pick German, French and if I'm not completely mistaken even Swedish on 3rd grade instead of English, but pretty much everyone(parents) chooses English.. That shows that English is not something people force themselves to learn, it's extremely popular too... Though I'm not sure if the system is still like that...

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 03:55 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
When I spoke with the foreigners I definitely got the sense of nervousness (except for these 2 guys who were probably drunk and bought DVM and I a beer just because DVM had on a Selanne jersey)... I don't mind it at all, they probably speak better English than I could speak Finnish. So I credit them for visiting and making an attempt to speak the language.
When drunk we know sign language and speak every language there is, even the dead ones.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 03:56 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
You can pick German, French and if I'm not completely mistaken even Swedish on 3rd grade instead of English, but pretty much everyone(parents) chooses English.. That shows that English is not something people force themselves to learn, it's extremely popular too... Though I'm not sure if the system is still like that...
Allright, well they didint even tell me about that choise when i was at third grade.. and didint tell for any of my mates neither back then. I remember someone taking germany in 5th grade.

I have a feeling that we're sliding a bit into offtopic here anyway... But its probably just me. Well, atleast ducks have three finnish players and one of them is Teemu(!) and the ducks are actually in Finland atm so this time it aint that bad.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Mara

Quote:
Allright, well they didint even tell me about that choise when i was at third grade.. and didint tell for any of my mates neither back then. I remember someone taking germany in 5th grade.

I have a feeling that we're sliding a bit into offtopic here anyway... But its probably just me. Well, atleast ducks have three finnish players and one of them is Teemu(!) and the ducks are actually in Finland atm so this time it aint that bad.
Yes I think we need more ducks news quickly. Can't wait for the Jokerit game. It was great to read that Selšnne didn't say no to the 2012 WC when interviewed earlier. But of course I wish the best of luck to the Ducks.

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
"My grandparents were from Finland," Carlyle said. "They were born and raised in Finland and then they moved to Canada. My grandfather was a carpenter and they moved to Sudbury, Ontario area."
Wow, didn`t knew that.
So much relation to Finland this team have.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 04:05 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Is there many Ducks fans from States coming over to Finland to see the match? I loved to see many Hurricanes fans from Carolina at last years Premiere, there must have been few hundreds of them.

Old
10-02-2011, 04:18 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
Is there many Ducks fans from States coming over to Finland to see the match? I loved to see many Hurricanes fans from Carolina at last years Premiere, there must have been few hundreds of them.
Ducks and AAA had a packaged trip and I wanna say about 135 signed up... plus others that are just going on their own. GreatBear a poster here is one of them going.

I wanted to go but I have school and as much as I'd love to see Finland trying to justify spending the money just wasn't happening

duckaroosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 04:37 PM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Alright. If anyone from the boards see me at the game just come and say hi, I'm the tall (191cm / 6' 3.2") guy wearing blue vintage Selanne's Jets jersey.

Old
10-02-2011, 04:38 PM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Quote:
155 will be at the Premier in Finland. Who knows who is going on their own though.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 04:50 PM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 840
Quote:
Alright. If anyone from the boards see me at the game just come and say hi, I'm the tall (191cm / 6' 3.2") guy wearing blue vintage Selanne's Jets jersey.
You must be the only guy in Finland that has one of these

A friend of mine is going on the trip, she is on the way as we speak.

kducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 09:20 PM
AnaheimGuy
Couch GM

Tuesdays game in Finland and TV?

Does anyone know if they are going to broadcast the game on tv over there and if it will be streamed somewhere?

AnaheimGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 11:12 PM
kducks
Duck Off

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemusstick View Post
Does anyone know if they are going to broadcast the game on tv over there and if it will be streamed somewhere?
Per the Ducks website

Fri, 7 Oct 2011 Ducks Sabres
(Helsinki, FI) 10:00 AM TSN2

Sat, 8 Oct 2011 Rangers Ducks
(Stockholm, SE) 10:00 AM TSN, VERSUS(HD)

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

I assume they will be replayed but will definitely set the DVR just in case. Or maybe just call in sick ::cough:: ::cough::

kducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:54 AM
jiggsawpuzzle35

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=589144
Ducks article has the Buffalo game on prime ticket

jiggsawpuzzle35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:58 AM
plaaplaa72

Send a message via MSN to plaaplaa72
By the way, if any finnish guy or somebody from the states that have came to watch the match is intersted, there are Anaheim Ducks training open for audience on wednesday 5th october (which is two days from today.) between 10.30A.M. and 12.30A.M. EEST at Hartwall Areena.

Here's an article about it(In Finnish):
http://www.hel.fi/hki/Helsinki/fi/uu...kset+areenalla

plaaplaa72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Zat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemusstick View Post
Yeah, Nelonen Pro announced yesterday it'll be showing the Helsinki exhibition match as well as the season opener.

Last edited by Zat: 10-03-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Zat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:30 AM
Finnpin

Sadly the weather turned out little bit rainy in Helsinki and probably will be like that for a week.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:54 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Sadly the weather turned out little bit rainy in Helsinki and probably will be like that for a week.
Yup, Sadly it's always like that at this time of the year.

I hate this country.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:18 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post

I hate this country.
Its just autumn.. It's gotta come if we want winter and atleast I do. 24/7 summer would be booring. I think its more reason to love than hate, but thats just question of opinion

Any europeans bought NHL GameCenter yet, or is it even available yet?

Old
10-03-2011, 05:28 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Its just autumn.. It's gotta come if we want winter and atleast I do. 24/7 summer would be booring. I think its more reason to love than hate, but thats just question of opinion

Any europeans bought NHL GameCenter yet, or is it even available yet?
Oh dear lord i hate the winter SO much. I'd be just fine with an endless summer.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:29 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Yeah, starting to look pretty ''grey'' time in Latvia to. Last days were pretty cool though - sunny and colourfull.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:02 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Yeah, the weather has definitely turned into ugly. Atleast they have one more reason to practise more then.

My parents may have seen the team yesterday but not sure because they don't recognise the players . How can you call yourself a Finn if you don't know what Selšnne or Koivu looks like?!

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:45 AM
Finnpin

Jarkko Ruutu (Jokerit) will not play against Ducks due to minor injury.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:48 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post

I hate this country.
What, it supposed to be like this at this time of the year. It's October already.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:50 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Yeah, the weather has definitely turned into ugly. Atleast they have one more reason to practise more then.

My parents may have seen the team yesterday but not sure because they don't recognise the players . How can you call yourself a Finn if you don't know what Selšnne or Koivu looks like?!
Are you seriouse? Dont they know what they look like?

I think they mean they dont recognise other ducks.. but everyone knows what Teemu looks like, im absolutely sure if image was shown, 100% of whom asked would know who he is.