Old
09-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Tormentor

vCash: 500

Old
09-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Password

Ristolainen will play with TPS men's for whole season now, right? He definitely earned his spot.

Last edited by Password: 09-20-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old
09-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Password View Post
Ristolainen will play with TPS men's for whole season now, right? He definitely earned his spot.
Looks like that at the moment (of course excluding WJC in December/January).

Things can change quickly though. He could be sent down to Jr. A team rather quickly during the winter if his performances get notably worse, to get some confidence etc.

Old
09-22-2011, 01:15 PM
RKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Atte Mäkinen might be one if he's in the line-up, but Barkov, Tanus, Teräväinen, Ruuttu, Korpisalo, Kiviranta, Lindell... should be plenty for one game.
I really like what Jokerit are doing with their A-juniors. Instead of trying to get success with older players, they are giving their young prospects like Kiviranta and Mustonen chance, which will definitely pay dividends in future. I wish more teams would put player development above winning junior championships, since those championships mean nothing if you can't produce decent individuals to your first team.

Old
09-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Jolli
Mikkkkeeee!!1!!11!!!

Juuso Salmi played his first sm-liiga game today against Tappara. Nothing special, he was surprisingly solid/calm (for a rookie) and didn't really make any notable mistakes. He did give a few nice breakout passes which led to good scoring chances in the zone.

As a HIFK fan I just hope that he will replace Söderholm when it's his time to retire.

Last edited by Jolli: 09-22-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old
09-23-2011, 07:38 AM
sinettiseura

Jr. C SM-sarja starts tomorrow. Just looked some rosters and noticed few interesting things...

Tappara has in their roster -98 born forward Aapeli Räsänen. Does anybody have any insight about him? Big kid (180cm, 74kg) and has june birthday...

Also Aleksi Saarela is listed 178cm so maybe our next YOUTH star isn't after all a midget..

Great to see that Blues' new "junior programs" are starting to bear fruit. There is Blues, Blues-T (Blues' second team) and GrIFK qualifying to the final league. I'm predicting that in a few years of time Blues will have two teams playing in the jr. C or jr. B SM-league.

Blues has started to do camps with it's youth teams (=kasvattajaseura?) even before jr. C age. The system was before that the best players just went to Blues' tryout when jr. C started and they chose the best but now they are evaluating players even before jr. C age and there is some Blues' theme camps like skating camps and skill camps which are shared with all the youth teams (EPS, EKS, EJK, Jäähonka and GrIFK). The cooperation with the youth teams and Blues has become more connected and the youth teams really try to train players for Blues.

Old
09-23-2011, 10:53 AM
RKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinettiseura View Post
Jr. C SM-sarja starts tomorrow. Just looked some rosters and noticed few interesting things...

Tappara has in their roster -98 born forward Aapeli Räsänen. Does anybody have any insight about him? Big kid (180cm, 74kg) and has june birthday...

Also Aleksi Saarela is listed 178cm so maybe our next YOUTH star isn't after all a midget..

Great to see that Blues' new "junior programs" are starting to bear fruit. There is Blues, Blues-T (Blues' second team) and GrIFK qualifying to the final league. I'm predicting that in a few years of time Blues will have two teams playing in the jr. C or jr. B SM-league.

Blues has started to do camps with it's youth teams (=kasvattajaseura?) even before jr. C age. The system was before that the best players just went to Blues' tryout when jr. C started and they chose the best but now they are evaluating players even before jr. C age and there is some Blues' theme camps like skating camps and skill camps which are shared with all the youth teams (EPS, EKS, EJK, Jäähonka and GrIFK). The cooperation with the youth teams and Blues has become more connected and the youth teams really try to train players for Blues.
HPK and Kärpät also have a -98 born player on their teams, HPK's Eetu Tuulola is 182cm/83kg and Kärpät has Jesse Puljujärvi but his measurements haven't been added yet.

Aside from Saarela and Julius Nättinen, can anyone tell who are the top players in -97 born age group?

Old
09-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Rimbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
HPK and Kärpät also have a -98 born player on their teams, HPK's Eetu Tuulola is 182cm/83kg and Kärpät has Jesse Puljujärvi but his measurements haven't been added yet.

Aside from Saarela and Julius Nättinen, can anyone tell who are the top players in -97 born age group?
Tormentor mentioned TPS forward Aaro Löyttymäki to be quite talented kid.

BTW TPS is producing some nice players from these age groups:

1994 - Rasmus Ristolainen, Rasmus Kulmala, Mikko Lehtonen
1995- Artturi Lehkonen, Matias Pulli(?)
1996- Manu Honkanen
1997- Aaro Löyttymäki

And these kids ain't only some future FEL players but most of them have even NHL potential.

Old
09-24-2011, 04:30 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Jani Hakanpää played his first SM-liiga game today. TOI 12:35, one shot, +/- 0

Old
09-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Eyelanders

Here are some Finnish Prospects for 2013 Draft who I have seen playing recently.

Aleksi Mustonen, Jokerit - A very skilled forward who has good skill level. He´s small right now though (5´8").

Mikke Levo, Ilves - The only time I have seen him so far this season he looked smaller than is listed at (5´11"). I thought that he was more of an offensive defenseman who can skate and has good puck moving abilities. He could work on his defensive game and positioining.

Saku Salminen, Jokerit - A big forward who moved from HIFK to Jokerit. I am not a big fan, as has made in the games I´ve seen too many poor decicions with the puck. Still has good upside. A late birthday.

I have seen again Esa Lindell, a 1994 born defenseman. I remember that he made in one game almost a coast-to-coast goal. I think he has a lot of potential, as his skills are raw. But he leads his team in points at the moment.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:16 PM
sinettiseura

Two games played and some kid called Aleksi Saarela has 5 goals and 4 assists... Today 3 goals against HIFk and 2 of those goals were shorthanded goals..

Old
09-26-2011, 02:29 AM
Rimbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinettiseura View Post
Two games played and some kid called Aleksi Saarela has 5 goals and 4 assists... Today 3 goals against HIFk and 2 of those goals were shorthanded goals..
Who?? Sounds like a meh prospect to me

Old
09-26-2011, 07:31 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Perhaps ChadS can now share his opinions on the Jokerit - Tappara game (2-1 for Jokerit btw)?

Old
09-26-2011, 09:06 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Perhaps ChadS can now share his opinions on the Jokerit - Tappara game (2-1 for Jokerit btw)?
Sorry, missed the game but a friend of mine went. Here's what he had to say:
-He thought Korpisalo played his best game so far and was key in the win.
-Teräväinen combined with Ruuttu make a great duo and they were able produce as well.
-The 1st line (Henritius-Rekonen-Hännikäinen) had great chemistry which is obvious since they've played a lot together at different levels.
-He mentioned Salminen, Rantakari and Lindell as guys who haven't been talked about much but seemed rather potential.
-Also said Laine was a overall very good d-man and Lindbohm&Väkiparta as guys who are quite "ready" for call-ups. He thought Vuorijärvi is too small for Sm-liiga.
-Lindell&Teräväinen seemed to play a lot in all situations, which is great because they are both young guys, -94.
-Kiviranta didn't play, he's now with C-juniors which is a bit weird since he hasn't played a single game with B-juniors, only A and C.

Didn't really comment on Tappara but said that Barkov gave him a very good impression and that their goalie was quite solid.

I think that was all, but I'll add stuff if I missed something.

Old
09-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Password

Thanks ChadS!

Have anyone seen Ville Pokka play this season? Read he has put up 1+3 in 4 games. How has he been playing, and his chances of making the WJC roster should be pretty good right? At least if he keeps putting up points.

Old
09-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Eyelanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Password View Post
Have anyone seen Ville Pokka play this season? Read he has put up 1+3 in 4 games. How has he been playing, and his chances of making the WJC roster should be pretty good right? At least if he keeps putting up points.
I´ve seen him once playing this season at a junior match. I think he played pretty well, though he didn´t have a spectacular game. He showed nice puck skills, a hard shot and was the best D on his team. Pokka can control the game on the ice. He still needs to work on his skating though. If he can improve on this, I think he could hear his name on the draft day pretty early.

Old
10-01-2011, 06:41 AM
WhisperInTheWind

Apparently Barkov will make his debut in the SM-liiga as the second line center for Tappara against Blues tonight. Say what you say about Dufva but atleast he trusts his youngsters. Ristolainen vs. Barkov for Jarmo Wasama-trophy?

Old
10-01-2011, 03:25 PM
ES

Barkov played a good game. Tappara won 3-1 and he had one assist. A bit lucky goal that was but anyway. I'm not sure though whether he makes the line-up full time yet.

Old
10-02-2011, 05:36 PM
FinProspects

As for the top 97 borns, Aleksi Saarela and Julius Nättinen, both have had good start in C-junior qualifying rounds. Saarela has 7+7 in 3 games, Nättinen has 3+11 in 4 games. I´d expect them to score about 2,5-3points/game troughout the season, if they play just in C-juniors.

IMO they both should play in B-juniors already, much tougher competition/games ->better development.

Old
10-02-2011, 08:05 PM
LoveHateLeafs

If anyone can give some info on the following junior-aged prospects, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jani Hakanpaa (D-92-Drafted by St. Louis in 2010). How has he looked in his SM Liiga games?

Samuli Piipponen (D-93-Passed over in 2011 draft). Tied for second on his team in scoring, playing a ton of minutes for Saipa’s junior team, is there any chance that this guy gets some time in the SM-Liiga? Might an NHL team draft him in his second year of eligibility?

Joni Nikko (F-94-Eligible in 2012). Has NHL size at 6’2, 192, and enough offense to tie for first on his junior team in scoring, which puts him around the top 30 for the junior league. Can anyone describe his game and strengths/weaknesses? Is he a potential late-round pick?

Teuvo Teravainen (F-94-Eligible in 2012). What are the odds that he sees some time in the SM Liiga this season?

Henri Ikonen (F-94-Eligible in 2012). Does anyone know why he seems to be playing in junior B instead of junior A?

Ville Pokka (D-94-Eligible in 2012). Has six points in six games in the Finnish second league, which puts him third for scoring among D-men. He also plays nearly 25-minutes a game. Has his skating improved at all? Is he a possibility for Finland’s U20 team this year, or will he be unable to survive against faster teams like USA/Canada/Sweden?

Artturi Lehkonen(F-95-Eligible in 2013). He’s barely 150 lbs, but leads his junior team in scoring, and is 19th in the league for points and 7th for goals. What’s his game like and what are some strengths/weaknesses?

Juuso Ikonen(F-95-Eligible in 2013). He’s over 2 points per game so far, but again, he’s tiny. How is his hockey sense? Is he a good enough skater to overcome his lack of size?

Old
10-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinProspects View Post
As for the top 97 borns, Aleksi Saarela and Julius Nättinen, both have had good start in C-junior qualifying rounds. Saarela has 7+7 in 3 games, Nättinen has 3+11 in 4 games. I´d expect them to score about 2,5-3points/game troughout the season, if they play just in C-juniors.

IMO they both should play in B-juniors already, much tougher competition/games ->better development.
Aleksi Saarela is coached by his dad Pasi (yes, "Laitilan Kaurajätti") in the C-juniors. For some reason I think he wants to keep him there.

Old
10-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHateLeafs View Post
If anyone can give some info on the following junior-aged prospects, it would be greatly appreciated.

Jani Hakanpaa (D-92-Drafted by St. Louis in 2010). How has he looked in his SM Liiga games?

Samuli Piipponen (D-93-Passed over in 2011 draft). Tied for second on his team in scoring, playing a ton of minutes for Saipa’s junior team, is there any chance that this guy gets some time in the SM-Liiga? Might an NHL team draft him in his second year of eligibility?

Joni Nikko (F-94-Eligible in 2012). Has NHL size at 6’2, 192, and enough offense to tie for first on his junior team in scoring, which puts him around the top 30 for the junior league. Can anyone describe his game and strengths/weaknesses? Is he a potential late-round pick?

Teuvo Teravainen (F-94-Eligible in 2012). What are the odds that he sees some time in the SM Liiga this season?

Henri Ikonen (F-94-Eligible in 2012). Does anyone know why he seems to be playing in junior B instead of junior A?

Ville Pokka (D-94-Eligible in 2012). Has six points in six games in the Finnish second league, which puts him third for scoring among D-men. He also plays nearly 25-minutes a game. Has his skating improved at all? Is he a possibility for Finland’s U20 team this year, or will he be unable to survive against faster teams like USA/Canada/Sweden?

Artturi Lehkonen(F-95-Eligible in 2013). He’s barely 150 lbs, but leads his junior team in scoring, and is 19th in the league for points and 7th for goals. What’s his game like and what are some strengths/weaknesses?

Juuso Ikonen(F-95-Eligible in 2013). He’s over 2 points per game so far, but again, he’s tiny. How is his hockey sense? Is he a good enough skater to overcome his lack of size?

Jokerit are bound to rotate some of their players during the regular season due to international commitments draining energy etc. so I'd expect him to play in some of the double header weekend games (Jokerit have 8 of those left).

Old
10-03-2011, 09:31 AM
RKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Aleksi Saarela is coached by his dad Pasi (yes, "Laitilan Kaurajätti") in the C-juniors. For some reason I think he wants to keep him there.
Seriously both of them should be playing B-SM, and they probably will go there after the qualifications for C-SM are over. Their clubs likely just want make sure their C-juniors qualify to SM-sarja. For example Joel Kiviranta is playing C-SM qualifications at the moment and putting up ridiculous 8 point games there. Obviously he won't be playing whole season there.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Pokka is looking like a quite sure pick for the WJC team. His age and inexperience shouldn't be a problem, as he's playing against men in K-Laser, and will probably see some time in SM-Liiga as well.

Old
10-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Jr.B qualifications are underway and since only 12 teams qualify this season the competition is even fiercer than usual. Therefore many organizations are fielding their best roster for some of the games. Ikonen isn’t the only player who’ll be promoted to Jr.A once the qualifications are over.

Quote:
Overall just a very good player; he has good movement, good puck skills, good work rate and a good understanding of the game. In a game that I saw from him last weekend he was an offensive dynamo for his team. He was dangerous every other shift and created the most chances in his team, his line mates just weren’t on the same page with him in some situations. He’s a better (and also taller) player than his linemate Rasmus Kulmala who played in some European Trophy games during the pre-season, so if things go well Lehkonen might get a game or two in SM-liiga already this season. He should be an ideal player for TPS coach Virta’s preferred style of play.

Quote:
He definitely has very good hockey sense and he’s a smooth and agile skater with a pretty good top speed. He could still grow an inch or two during the next few years, so let’s see what happens before going too far with speculations. Steve Kariya might be a decent comparison at this point.

Closed Thread