HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

If Wayne Gretzky had stayed in Edmonton..

Old
09-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
A) The arrogance of Gretzky lovers knows no bounds.
B) The NHL in the 1980's was inferior, rife with corruption..
C) Get back to me when you have a serious thread that includes the rest of the cast.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:41 AM
shazariahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
C) Get back to me when you have a serious thread that includes the rest of the cast.
Care to elaborate on any or all of those statements? If not, here are my counter points:

A) Fact is, Gretzky was an amazing player. Doesn't matter if you personally rank him 1, 2, 3 whatever - there's no denying he's one of the greatest of all time. His fans have a right to talk about him, and speculate about what might have been. Its no different that Orr and Lemieux fans wondering about their careers minus the injuries, or Crosby fans wondering about last season w/o the concussion. Fans have a right to talk about the players they like. You don't have to participate in the discussion.

B) I disagree, but even if you could prove it were so, how would that change the topic of this thread, namely how many more cups could Gretzky and the Oilers have won w/o the trade? If the NHL was "corrupt" and had some pro-Gretzky or pro-Oiler bias, that would have only made it easier for them to accumulate more cups. But, given the NHL implemented rules specifically to hurt the Oilers (namely the coincidental minors rule), I think it would be hard to prove they had some pro-Edmonton agenda.

C) This thread does include the rest of the Oiler cast. The assumption is that he stays in Edmonton, as do most their other elite players from that time period. The Oilers were good enough to win 1 more without him, but they won 4 with him. Its not a huge stretch of the imagination to think they could have won a sixth had he not been traded. He was still good enough to take the Kings there in 93, and he had a MUCH weaker supporting cast than he had in his Edmonton years.

shazariahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:39 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

I think they would have won in 1991, 1993 and 1994.

09-26-2011, 01:20 PM
PSC
Rookie User

I'd say the Oils would have won another three or
four cups had not only Gretzky stayed, but also
Coffey( left over a contract dispute), Fuhr , Anderson
and Messier.

Mark Messier was their best all around player. Big, strong,
and could score goals. I recall the time he beat the crap
out of Donald Brashear, when he played for Vancouver.
I couldn't believe it! Brashear was a tough guy. Messier
hammered him!

No, I never did see Mark in many fights, but there
weren't too many guys out to pick a fight with him either.

PSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Habsfunk

Assuming everything else happens as it did (ie. Messier traded at the start of the 91-92 season):

1989 - Calgary finished 33 points ahead of Edmonton that year and had a really, really good team. I still think they could beat the Oilers even with Gretzky. I would say it's a toss up.

1990 - Duh!

1991 - The Oilers made the conference finals without Gretzky so I'd bet they would get to the finals with him and would overwhelm Pittsburgh's rather porous defence. Wouldn't it have been amazing to watch Gretzky and Lemieux go head-to-head in the Stanley Cup final?

1992 - With Messier, Anderson and Kurri gone, I'm not sure if Gretzky would have been enough to get Edmonton over the hump and past Chicago and Pittsburgh.

1993-96 - The Oilers failed to top 70 points for four straight seasons and missed the playoffs each time. There's no way a declining (but still great) Gretzky turns those teams into Stanley Cup champions, no matter how good he is.

So, I'd give Edmonton one more cup and possibly two.

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:49 PM
crobro

what would have been better for the NHL in the long run

1.gretzky in california opening up the game to americans

2.gretzky and lemieux constantly meeting up in the stanley cup finals ie oiler vs penguins and the NHL having their equivalent of a larry bird ,magic johnson type rivalry.

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:50 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
I think they could have easily won 7-8 total, provided that nobody else was jettisoned from the team.It's a bold proclamation but the Oilers won 4 cups in 5 years, and managed to win another without Gretzky a season after he left. It was before my time, but looking at the stats, they were an absolutely ridiculous team.

I don't think you can look at how the Oilers did in the future seasons and just add Gretzky's production. The Oilers seemed to run out of steam/hope. They were motivated to win without Gretzky, but once that happened the team started to fall apart. Players pivotal to the team besides Gretzky left, the Canadian dollar was bottoming out, and the team started its decline.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:41 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
... What does this even mean???

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 12:11 AM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Gretzky mentioned on "Kings Ransom" that he'd won four Cups with the Oilers prior to the trade, and when asked how many more he would have won if he had stayed in Edmonton, his response was "I dunno - the team was good enough, maybe I would have won four more."
Sather also said in that documentary that he thought they could have won "2 or 3 more cups".

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:55 PM
PointL00kout

He would of atleast won two more cups.

PointL00kout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:14 PM
blogofmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post

Nevermind the fact the Flames won the President's Trophy the year before, when the Oilers still had Gretzky...
Yes. Calgary did win the Presidents Trophy even though the Oilers had Gretzky.

Did that make them any less murdered by the 16-2 Oilers? At the end of the day all it meant was that Edmonton swept them on home ice rather than in Calgary.

blogofmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

vCash: 125
Gretzky has said himself that he thinks they would've doubled their Stanley Cup count.

Personally, I think they would've won three more.

Last edited by Joe Sakic: 09-30-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post

Nevermind the fact the Flames won the President's Trophy the year before, when the Oilers still had Gretzky...
And then got swept by Edmonton in the 1988 playoffs. I think people forget just how much of a difference the Oilers were without Gretzky. The Penguins without Crosby are a different team but if you really want to imagine the difference then you might need to almost double it.

So yeah, the Oilers win again in 1989 and then 1990. I think they win in 1991 as well for sure. The Pens had some issues getting past New Jersey, Boston and Minnesota. Remember the Penguins hadn't won anything yet in 1991 and were down 2-1 in the final against (clear throat) Minnesota. Obviously they proved to be a great team winning two in a row but I think they lose to the Oilers in 1991. They might meet again in 1992 and possibly win then and again in 1993 (they'd have been more hungry with only one). I can't see Mario only winning the Cup once either and the early 1990s saw them getting a bit older too (Oilers).

But even if Fuhr falters in the early 1990s the way he did, there still is Ranford and he proved he could win a Cup sans Gretzky, so WITH Gretzky I can't see how they wouldn't continue.

I'll say the Oilers probably win a minimum of 7 ('84, '85, '87, '88, '89, '90, '91) and then the jury is out on 1992. The Pens would have to start winning some time so give them a couple of Cups right there. 1993 and 1994? Remember, no Messier on the Rangers = no Cup. I just don't see how they would be stopped other than the Pens until the mid 1990s surge of Colorado and Detroit.

We'll never know, but let's thank Pocklington again for making sure we never had the right to find out.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 08:03 PM
greatgazoo

In the documentary, I'm pretty sure that Gretzky said that they probably would've won "4 more Cups" if he had stayed in Edmonton.

However, with Pocklington as the owner, that wasn't going to happen. He treated his players as "assets" and sold them off one by one to cover losses in his other businesses. The Oilers don't win 4 more Cups without Messier there to help Gretzky.

greatgazoo is offline   Reply With Quote