HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

18 Sent to the Bridge

Old
10-02-2011, 04:47 PM
JKP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
I think the main penalty for not reaching the floor is that they don't qualify for revenue sharing ie. they stand to lose a lot of money if they stay below.
There is no explicit penalty in the CBA for not reaching the floor. It would be a grievance that the union would file and it would go to arbitration.

The NHL may have some penalty with it's clubs that isn't in the CBA, but there is nothing explicit in the CBA in terms of penalties.

Contrast that with significant pages and pages describing the penalties for trying to circumvent the cap.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 05:36 PM
TeamKidd

Quote:
I think the main penalty for not reaching the floor is that they don't qualify for revenue sharing ie. they stand to lose a lot of money if they stay below.
from what i understand, because the isles are in one of the top markets, they dont get revenue sharing anyways.

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
Precisely why they were all sent down while Reese is still up. Reese is the 8th dman of all who are left. Would you rather any of the 3 mentioned get no playing time on the big club?
Reese was already waived days ago so the hard part is already done as far as sending him down goes.

Quote:
The Islanders don't get one red cent of revenue sharing.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 05:51 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

My picks for being sent down next for sure:
Pandolfo (signs two way deal or gets cut)
Strome (back to juniors)
Frischmon

I think depending on the health of Nino and maybe the health of another forward, my dark horse to stay up would be Kabanov. I know it's a stretch but it gives us a look for a couple of games.

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Moulson Ale View Post
My picks for being sent down next for sure:
Pandolfo (signs two way deal or gets cut)
Strome (back to juniors)
Frischmon

I think depending on the health of Nino and maybe the health of another forward, my dark horse to stay up would be Kabanov. I know it's a stretch but it gives us a look for a couple of games.
Kabanov just said on his Facebook he'll be "leaving Long Island soon" and he "doesn't know where he's playing this year".

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 06:28 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Kabanov just said on his Facebook he'll be "leaving Long Island soon" and he "doesn't know where he's playing this year".
Hmmm....those two statements seem to contradict each other. He is leaving Long Island but he doesn't know if he is going to the Isles or Juniors? Shouldn't he know where is going?

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 06:31 PM
JeffNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
As I understand it, the Euro leagues will respect Kabanov's ELC with the NYI.. So Kabanov must:

1) Play for the Islanders
2) Play in junior
3) Agree to be loaned to a European team, and the Islanders must sign-off on that as well.

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 06:34 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNYI View Post
As I understand it, the Euro leagues will respect Kabanov's ELC with the NYI.. So Kabanov must:

2) Play in junior
3) Agree to be loaned to a European team, and the Islanders must sign-off on that as well.
It would be nice if the Islanders can just send him to the AHL

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 06:36 PM
JeffNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
It would be nice if the Islanders can just send him to the AHL
Someone said if the junior team that holds his rights agrees, then he could play in the AHL.. I don't know if that's true or not. I've never heard that one before..

But from a business standpoint - from the JUNIOR TEAMS' perspectives - I would never allow this.

From the NYI perspective obviously I wish that would be permissible.

Old
10-02-2011, 06:51 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

2) Play in junior
Yeahh...NO THANKS ...kids made too much progress(off ice) to let him roam wild in Europe....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Someone said if the junior team that holds his rights agrees, then he could play in the AHL.. I don't know if that's true or not. I've never heard that one before..

But from a business standpoint - from the JUNIOR TEAMS' perspectives - I would never allow this.

From the NYI perspective obviously I wish that would be permissible.
It is true if they want to do it. They might want to do it if there are other Euros they want on their team. They can only have a couple.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 07:02 PM
JeffNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Yeahh...NO THANKS ...kids made too much progress(off ice) to let him roam wild in Europe....
Hahaha..

True, true..

But also because he's signed his ELC then he's subject to the NHLPA oversight as well. The NHLPA needs to protect Kabanov's wishes and interests while complying with the CBA...

So now the Islanders can't just do whatever they want with him.. If KK refuses to report to a European club then I would imagine the Islanders can:

1) Let him play on Long Island
2) Assign him to his junior team
3) Waive him and buy him out, making him a UFA
4) Beg his junior team to allow him to play in the AHL (apparently?)

My guess is we're in for a big ol' dose of #2.

Old
10-02-2011, 07:55 PM
desmond

Kabanov is going back to CHL for sure. Could be traded to a different junior team.

desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 07:59 PM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
Haley should still be here and Gillies should be long gone...oh well, Haley's bound to be back sooner or later.

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Kabanov's junior team already is at the maximum limit of European Imports, so it will be interesting to see what happens to him.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 09:55 PM
leaponover

Umm, how are we going to develop 3 young strong goalies in Bridgeport?? We can't send one of those guys to another team to get playing time? I'm not liking that AT ALL!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
Umm, how are we going to develop 3 young strong goalies in Bridgeport?? We can't send one of those guys to another team to get playing time? I'm not liking that AT ALL!
I'm thinking one (Miko) will go to Kalamazoo

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 10:28 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
If another AHL team was willing to give one of the Islanders goalies enough playing time(ie more then 40 games), I would send Nilsson there

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 11:31 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Cool, i just didn't know if there was an actual option to handle this. There is no way you can have a third goalie prospect getting no playing time that would be brutal.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 11:38 PM
OpAck

Based on what Kirill is saying on Facebook...he's been told he won't be on the Isles...and is too young to play in the AHL, and that his agent is working on where he's going to play. We'd assume he would just go play for his junior team in Canada...but if it's true that they don't have the room for him (which makes sense since he doesn't seem to know where he's going)...I'm guessing they're trying to find a spot for him somewhere. I'm sure the Isles are paying close attention, since they're going to want him in a good atmosphere...and I doubt they'd want him going to Europe.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Based on what Kirill is saying on Facebook...he's been told he won't be on the Isles...and is too young to play in the AHL, and that his agent is working on where he's going to play. We'd assume he would just go play for his junior team in Canada...but if it's true that they don't have the room for him (which makes sense since he doesn't seem to know where he's going)...I'm guessing they're trying to find a spot for him somewhere. I'm sure the Isles are paying close attention, since they're going to want him in a good atmosphere...and I doubt they'd want him going to Europe.
Can his Q team just give us permission to place him in the AHL?

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:34 AM
Sideshow Bob

Quote:
And if you're like the islanders and in a "big market" and don't get revenue sharing to begin with?

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:25 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
That affiliation just ended. Isles have no ECHL affilate to assign him to.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:25 AM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Can his Q team just give us permission to place him in the AHL?
That's what I thought. And if there's no room for him, they should be willing to let him play in the AHL, as long as the Isles want him in Bridgeport. I suspect maybe the Isles would rather he get another year in junior, and asked his agent to see what the options are for placing him on another team in the Q. If nobody has room for him, and the Isles still don't want him in Bridgeport, I think Europe would be the only other option, which certainly isn't ideal.

I dunno the rules of switching junior leagues...but I wonder if he can go from the QMJHL to the WHL or OHL, if there's a team that wants him. With his performance at the end of the season and playoffs, I'm sure someone will take him.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:39 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
Reese was already waived days ago so the hard part is already done as far as sending him down goes.
My point is Reese is not a prospect so it doesn't really matter if he's the 8th dman who plays only in case of injury. He is up for depth security reasons. I feel a lot more comfortable having him up in that role than CDH, Donovan, or Ness.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote