Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calgary Hitmen Off-Season Thread

Old
03-22-2011, 11:04 AM
travellingman345

vCash: 500
I didn't realize the WHL had a lottery for the 1st overall pick in the Bantam draft. I guess I didn't pay much attention since the Hitmen always draft later on.
The 6 non play off teams are entered in the draw.

The Hitmen need to hope that Swift Current or Regina's ball is not drawn first. This will give Calgary the 2nd overal pick. However, anybody else's ball would mean Hitmen get the #1 pick.

I hope they get somebody good that will be able to step up in a couple years from now.

On another note the Hitmen drew 334 812 fans this year (9300 per game). That is the best in the WHL and second most in history behind the 2004/2005 Hitmen. Not too shabby for a last place team. I am sure, the Championship from last year and the chance to get World Junior Tickets for this year probably had something to do with it, but still - way to go fans.

Last edited by travellingman345: 03-22-2011 at 02:48 PM.
travellingman345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2011, 02:42 PM
travellingman345

Kamloops ball was drawn first in the Lottery - meaning the Hitmen get the #1 choice in the Bantam draft. Hopefully, they can get a really good player.

Old
03-23-2011, 07:19 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellingman345 View Post
Kamloops ball was drawn first in the Lottery - meaning the Hitmen get the #1 choice in the Bantam draft. Hopefully, they can get a really good player.
A really good player that will be gone to the NHL in 2 years.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Hipfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
A really good player that will be gone to the NHL in 2 years.
Good, hopefully so! Think a team like Red Deer wouldn't have drafted Ryan Nugent-Hopkins if they knew he was this good? You take what you get out of these kids in junior and when they graduate and move on to the next level (like last year when they lost Martin Jones, Brandon Kozun, Joel Broda, Tyler Shattock, Ian Schultz and Michael Stone) you're proud that they were able to develop into superior hockey players.

That's the cycle of junior hockey, you get to watch these kids for anywhere from a season to 5 years, all the time getting to see them go from 150-pound-nothings to pro-ready players.

Hipfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2011, 03:09 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipfan View Post
Good, hopefully so!

Exactly.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2011, 07:14 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

With the 1st overall pick, the Hitmen selected LW Jake Virtanen from the AAA Bantam Abbotsford Hawks. Virtanen had 117 points (68g 49a) in 59 games this season. He also had five goals in five games at the 2011 BC Cup.

Sounds like a great pick.

http://www.hitmenhockey.com/article/...l-bantam-draft

Old
06-30-2011, 08:14 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

The Calgary Hitmen selected Swedish centre Victor Rask with the 3rd overall pick during yesterday's CHL import draft. It will be great news if Rask doesn't make the Carolina Hurricanes this year, he'll definitely help the Hitmen.

Old
06-30-2011, 08:25 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
The Calgary Hitmen selected Swedish centre Victor Rask with the 3rd overall pick during yesterday's CHL import draft. It will be great news if Rask doesn't make the Carolina Hurricanes this year, he'll definitely help the Hitmen.
Hmm that would be great to see.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2011, 08:35 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Calgary Hitmen selected Alexander Gogolev with their 2nd round pick in the 2011 CHL Import Draft.

http://www.hitmenhockey.com/article/...l-import-draft

Alex Roach has an NHL Amateur Tryout with the Los Angeles Kings.

http://www.hitmenhockey.com/article/...-angeles-kings

Old
07-21-2011, 11:41 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Hitmen acquire G Chris Driedger from the Tri-City Americans for a 3rd.

http://www.hitmenhockey.com/article/...city-americans

Old
07-23-2011, 12:27 AM
travellingman345

Quote:
Hitmen acquire G Chris Driedger from the Tri-City Americans for a 3rd.

http://www.hitmenhockey.com/article/...city-americans
I think this is a great move. Now they can get rid of Snider.

Old
08-19-2011, 12:32 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Hitmen acquire Brady Brassart from the Spokane Chiefs for a conditional 4th.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...#ixzz1VRwqCLba

Quote:
Hitmen general manager Kelly Kisio struck a deal with the Spokane Chiefs and acquired 18-year-old centreman Brady Brassart in exchange for a fourth round conditional pick in the 2012 WHL bantam draft.

Old
08-19-2011, 04:50 PM
travellingman345

Kisio has been making some deals. The Hitmen should get back into the playoffs this year, from the "one off" bad season.

Any news on if Rask will be attending camp?? I sure hope this wasn't a wasted pick.

Any news on how Drieger is doing at the NHL camp?

Old
08-28-2011, 10:55 PM
travellingman345

Rask is at camp. He did the fitness test today. That is good news.

Old
08-29-2011, 11:15 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Peter Kosterman gets invite to Calgary Flames camp:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/08/29...lames-camp-too

Quote:
“I got a call on Aug. 18, and I’m super excited,” he said. “Just from the time of the year, I thought maybe that ship had sailed for this summer.

“But I was pleasantly surprised when I got the call.

“It was my goal to go to a camp. I’m on my way, and we’ll see what happens.”
Quote:
The 6-foot-4, 190-pounder will suit up for the Flames at the Penticton prospects tournament next month.

Old
08-29-2011, 03:09 PM
travellingman345

Quote:
Peter Kosterman gets invite to Calgary Flames camp:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/08/29...lames-camp-too

I guess I know nothing about scouting. I thought Kosterman was one of the worst D-men the Hitmen had last year. What do I know?? I just buy the tickets and watch the games. lol Good luck to him.

Kind of like Jeff Schultz. I thought he was a liability on the ice for the Hitmen - always gave up the puck and was very slow. Now with the Capitals.

Old
09-21-2011, 01:09 PM
travellingman345

The Hitmen looked really good in preseason. I am very optimistic about the regular season.

I am just curious on where Driedger is?? He didn't play in an games in preseason. I was looking forward to seeing him play.

I like Glover and all though Snider did good in preseason. I still think he is the weak link in net.

Upfront, it looks like lots of weapons. This team could be offensively gifted. Making some for some high scoring nights.

Old
09-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Victor Rask will play for Calgary.

Quote:
ice_chip Chip Alexander
Just talked to Rask. He is going to Calgary. Plans to work hard, develop game and adjust to N. American game.
1 hour ago

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:20 PM
travellingman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Victor Rask will play for Calgary.
This is great news. Lots of talent upfront this year.

Old
09-23-2011, 01:47 PM
flamesfan5

I am really looking forward to this year, after seeing many games last year where the Hitmen struggled it will be good to see them come out flying. I expect some big things this year. Also I agree with what has been said about our goaltending it has been very shaky at times and I would like to see someone step up and steal the starting job from snider.

flamesfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Gags89

It was great to see a win for the Hitmen today! I was able to take in my 1st Hitmen game at the Saddledome. Rask had a pretty solid game.

They still provide some entertaining hockey for very affordable prices. I actually looked on Kijiji and got a really good pair for cheap for today. There are really great deals on there for the Hitmen. I really encourage people to check them out of it they haven't!

Gags89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:41 PM
travellingman345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags89 View Post
It was great to see a win for the Hitmen today! I was able to take in my 1st Hitmen game at the Saddledome. Rask had a pretty solid game.

They still provide some entertaining hockey for very affordable prices. I actually looked on Kijiji and got a really good pair for cheap for today. There are really great deals on there for the Hitmen. I really encourage people to check them out of it they haven't!

Yes, the Hitmen looked good yesterday. I think they should be 3 and 0 - not 1 and 2. First game vs Kootenay Lieuwen stood on his head. game # 2 vs Lethbridge - high scoring - some bad giveaways by Kosterman and shaky Snider Goaltending. They weren't going to be denied yesterday.

Yes, Hitmen have a good price point. You can buy some sweet season tickets - 2nd level center ice. The person wants 1/2 price for the tickets.

If you have a family 2 adults and 2 kids. You can go to Calgary/Airdrie Co-Op. 2 adult tickets 2 youth tickets - 4 hot dogs, 4 pops and 1 popcorn for $60. They give you a voucher and you exchange it a the ticket booth for best available seats. If you have extra kids, you just pay the kids price at the door - but no food for them.

7-11 used to do tickets for $11. Not sure if they are doing that this year or not.

Looking forward to Friday vs Red Deer. Not sure if Nugent-Hopkins will be back in RD this year.

Old
10-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Gags89

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellingman345 View Post
Yes, the Hitmen looked good yesterday. I think they should be 3 and 0 - not 1 and 2. First game vs Kootenay Lieuwen stood on his head. game # 2 vs Lethbridge - high scoring - some bad giveaways by Kosterman and shaky Snider Goaltending. They weren't going to be denied yesterday.

Yes, Hitmen have a good price point. You can buy some sweet season tickets - 2nd level center ice. The person wants 1/2 price for the tickets.

If you have a family 2 adults and 2 kids. You can go to Calgary/Airdrie Co-Op. 2 adult tickets 2 youth tickets - 4 hot dogs, 4 pops and 1 popcorn for $60. They give you a voucher and you exchange it a the ticket booth for best available seats. If you have extra kids, you just pay the kids price at the door - but no food for them.

7-11 used to do tickets for $11. Not sure if they are doing that this year or not.

Looking forward to Friday vs Red Deer. Not sure if Nugent-Hopkins will be back in RD this year.
I missed that first game but the 2nd game was disappointing especially after scoring 5 goals. Those games happen though.

Wow! I saw that ad. Great deal! I'd be all over it if I knew I could be there even half the time.

As for Nugent-Hopkins, it looks like he'll get his 9 game trial with the Oilers and from there, who knows.

Gags89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2011, 02:48 PM
travellingman345

Okay, The last 2 games vs Swift Current, the Hitmen put a beating on them 5 to 1 and 7 to 1. They stopped a very potent power play.

Rask looked great and Driedger looked good in net. I hope this is what they need to turn the season around.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:38 AM
travellingman345

Nobody has written on here is a while.

The Hitmen are playing very well. As of today Jan. 18. The Hitmen sit 7th in the East and are riding a 8 game winning streak.

The whole Eastern conference is really good this year. The Hitmen may be in 7th, but are currently on 2 points out of 3rd and 4 points out of 2nd place. They are looking really good right now.