HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Connolly - MacArthur Question

Old
10-02-2011, 03:47 PM
keon

vCash: 500
Connolly - MacArthur Question

Leaf fan coming in peace with a question. Did MacArthur and Connelly ever play on the same line in Buffalo and if they did how was their cemistry together. Thank-you

keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Connolly never had chemistry with anyone.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Blitz
EI-KILL 4 McEICHEL

Honestly, MacArthur was never all that impressive regardless of who he played with - Something that I fear Leafs fans might come to realize now that Clarke has cashed in. Timmy seems to miss large portions of the season seemingly every year - but when he does play, he is more of a scoring centre than a playmaker, his chemistry with his linemates is not all that important it would seem.

Good luck with these guys Toronto - believe it or not, there is a reason the Sabres walked away from both of them (Regier is not a moron)... you might want to put on your rose-coloured glasses now the season is about to start....

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 04:30 PM
buffalowing88

Wow, both of the responses to OP are incorrect.

First off, Connolly had chemistry with a lot of guys on the roster. He helped Vanek break out of a number of slumps when paired with him. Besides that, he was the only center who could adjust to the game of Afinogenov and play with him effectively. Kotalik and Hecht also had very good chemistry with him. He rarely played with Macarthur, however, so I don't know what their chemistry will be like.

Secondly, Connolly was not a "Scoring" center rather than a playmaking center. That is 100 percent false. He was a playmaking center through and through. He had a great shot but for whatever reason, refused to use it (to the frustration of many Sabres fans). He much prefers to pass the puck than shoot or dangle these days.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 05:12 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

I'm sure they've played on the same line before given Ruff's bingo balls...but I don't think there was anything special there.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

If they did, it wasn't for very long. MacArthur was usually one the third or fourth line, Connolly was usually on either the first or second.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Keon I'll back up what Myllz said...I'm not sure if they ever were on the ice together in any scenario. Certainly not as regular line mates.

I read somewhere yesterday that Lombardi could be a better center for Kessel due to being a lefty, while Connolly is a righty.

FWIW, MacArthur was let go by Buffalo because he wouldn't / couldn't play defense. In Toronto (from what I've watched) he was allowed to pretty much be one-dimensional, while Ruff demanded two-way responsibility. Connolly was always a good two-way player, but last year he really focused on that more, became a good shot blocker actually, and his stats suffered for it. For a while though he hasn't been anything but a perimeter player in the o-zone, doesn't get dirty around the crease, and doesn't collect garbage goals/points. I don't think he'll ever change from that, so he'll never be effective against a tight defensive team, or in the playoffs when all teams tighten up.

He'll have his regular season moments, just like MacArthur, but neither are Cup-winning type of players. It's ironic that Burke picked either of them up, considering his style.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
MacArthur played a bit with nearly everyone while he was in Buffalo and at times was even forced into playing a bit of center (post-Drury/Neil). I don't recall him and Connolly (no E) having much chemistry or particularly a lot of icetime together at all, though I'm sure they know one another from being around the same team for a time. The General was a streaky scoring line winger who didn't find his way around his own zone particularly well -- and when pulled out of the lineup for either being cold and/or costing them defensively was rumored to be a bit of a malcontent. He, Paille, and Stafford were a little bit of a clique and it's interesting that two of the three are gone when Stafford takes on his career like a professional and starts to produce. Coincidence? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

10-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Clock

You can attack the content of the posts, but not the posters. Please don't make me clean this up again.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:20 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Connolly had great chemistry with Pominville and Hecht for long periods of time, but never MacArthur. They did play together some, but never for too long.

It would be best to keep Mac with Grabo and Kulemin and hope to God that Timmy finds chemistry with Kessel, or slides down and makes an elite 3rd line.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:05 AM
keon

Thank-you to everyone for the information and insights.

keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 07:03 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Wow, both of the responses to OP are incorrect.

First off, Connolly had chemistry with a lot of guys on the roster. He helped Vanek break out of a number of slumps when paired with him. Besides that, he was the only center who could adjust to the game of Afinogenov and play with him effectively. Kotalik and Hecht also had very good chemistry with him. He rarely played with Macarthur, however, so I don't know what their chemistry will be like.

Secondly, Connolly was not a "Scoring" center rather than a playmaking center. That is 100 percent false. He was a playmaking center through and through. He had a great shot but for whatever reason, refused to use it (to the frustration of many Sabres fans). He much prefers to pass the puck than shoot or dangle these days.
The bold would have required him to a) be on the ice to make plays and b) make plays. Both of which he only did part time.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote