HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

18 Sent to the Bridge

Old
10-03-2011, 08:55 AM
kasper11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
That's what I thought. And if there's no room for him, they should be willing to let him play in the AHL, as long as the Isles want him in Bridgeport. I suspect maybe the Isles would rather he get another year in junior, and asked his agent to see what the options are for placing him on another team in the Q. If nobody has room for him, and the Isles still don't want him in Bridgeport, I think Europe would be the only other option, which certainly isn't ideal.

I dunno the rules of switching junior leagues...but I wonder if he can go from the QMJHL to the WHL or OHL, if there's a team that wants him. With his performance at the end of the season and playoffs, I'm sure someone will take him.
More likely his Q team would try to trade him to another team for a draft pick. The question is how many teams expect to be contenders this year and can take on another import?

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:53 AM
Brunomics

If I was Snow I'd be on the phone with the Niagra team's GM asking him to trade for Kabanov.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:54 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Always seems to be controversy surrounding KK, whether by internal or external factors.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:06 AM
OpAck

And to make it even more confusing...Frischmon, Strome, and Kabanov were all moved from the Prospects/In The System page to the Isles main roster page. I know that really doesn't mean anything, and Kabanov was told he's not making the Isles or Bridgeport. But I don't know why they even bothered moving him and even Strome, if they're both bound for junior.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:16 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
If I was Snow I'd be on the phone with the Niagra team's GM asking him to trade for Kabanov.
Can players form the Q even be traded to teams in the OHL?

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
I was under the impression that since it's the CHL as a whole that a player can be moved anywhere. I'm not too familiar with the rules and practices of the league though so I could be wrong.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Lukko4

Kabanov's Junior team is the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada. Currently they have 2 Europeans, Viktor Hertzberg from Sweden who just came back as an overager, and 17 yar old rookie Ilya Nikolayev. Chances are, if Kabanov was re-assigned to the Armada, they will release Nikolayev and go with a 1-2 punch of Kabanov and Hertzberg. The Armada are not the most offensively dynamic team, so adding the likes of KK would be a good thing.

Also should be interesting to note that the President, GM and Assistant Coach of the Armada is former Islander Joel Bouchard.

Lukko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I was under the impression that since it's the CHL as a whole that a player can be moved anywhere. I'm not too familiar with the rules and practices of the league though so I could be wrong.
Trades can only happen between teams in the same league. So in Kabanov's case, his team can only trade him to another team in the QMJHL.

However, there are situations were players can switch leagues. If he's put on waivers in the Q, and all teams pass on him, he's free to be signed by any team in either the WHL or OHL (there might be a waiver priority to determine who gets first shot at these "free agents").

Former Islander Jon Sim actually went through this. He started in the Q, but for whatever reason didn't stick, and was waived through the league. Sarnia, in the OHL, picked him up.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote