HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HFStars 2011 Top-20 Prospects: [#2]

View Poll Results: Who is the Stars' #2 prospect?
Bachman 0 0%
Chiasson 1 2.13%
Glennie 15 31.91%
Larsen 21 44.68%
Oleksiak 9 19.15%
R. Smith 0 0%
Vincour 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-09-2011, 10:32 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
HFStars 2011 Top-20 Prospects: [#2]

pos.
country
acquired
change
% of vote
Jack Campbell
G

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

vCash: 500
Larsen needs to stay healthy and prove he can win puck battles along the boards for me to get really excited about him. Can't believe everyone is jumping on the Campbell bandwagon after the atrocious season he just had. Kid's got a long way to go and right now it seems a long way to get there.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:27 AM
starsfan4ever

Campbell showed enough flashes in the WJC, playoffs, and the end of last year to know he has super star potential. He definitely needs to work on being consistent, but it's going to take awhile to mentally prepare yourself for a full workload over the course of the season. Hopefully this past year was a good learning experience on what he needs to change.

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Nullus Reverentia

I still can't vote even though my infractions or gone but if I did I would vote Glennie.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:02 PM
BigG44

I think you've got to consider Larsen's long history of missing games and nagging injuries. He was hurt his draft year and every year since then.

He may end up being a very good player, but I don't see why anyone would think he has the ability to play 82+ games a year. IDK whether it's an inability to play through pain or stay healthy enough to still play, but regardless of the cause it's the reason I'll put him behind at least Glennie and Oleksiak. I still don't know if I'd put him 4th though. Dallas has several dynamic forwards to consider as well.

I understand some not being as concerned with the injuries, but this is a consistent issue. Every year it's something. Shoulders ... Knees .... He's missing games because of something.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 12:08 PM
piqued

Glennie has the same questions about injuries.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:03 PM
BigG44

Not really ... missing days at a camp and actual games aren't the same thing.

His draft year, Glennie had a wrist injury. Since then, his only game time missed was a few games after sustaining a concussion at Canada's WJC camp.

Larsen is missing chunks of games (sometimes several times a year), and his shoulders have been the issue several times (draft year, both years in Sweden after draft). I don't recall the injuries last year, but he missed games 3 different times because of injuries.

The two players injury histories are not comparable.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:07 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Larsen needs to stay healthy and prove he can win puck battles along the boards for me to get really excited about him. Can't believe everyone is jumping on the Campbell bandwagon after the atrocious season he just had. Kid's got a long way to go and right now it seems a long way to get there.
Eh, everyone is going to have their own way of evaluating it. All of the Stars top prospects have some rather large question marks, I went with who I thought had the top potential.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 01:08 PM
BigG44

Glennie's wasn't even a wrist injury. He somehow broke his elbow his draft year. I can't find out how, but that's not a normal hockey injury.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:12 PM
BigG44

Glennie played 66 of 72 Brandon games in 09-10 and 70 of 72 games last season. Several games in 09-10 were missed because of the WJC camp before he even got hurt. I'm not 100% sure, but some CHL players miss the first few games of the year while at NHL camp. IDK if that was the case for Glennie last year or not.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:15 PM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Not really ... missing days at a camp and actual games aren't the same thing.

His draft year, Glennie had a wrist injury. Since then, his only game time missed was a few games after sustaining a concussion at Canada's WJC camp.

Larsen is missing chunks of games (sometimes several times a year), and his shoulders have been the issue several times (draft year, both years in Sweden after draft). I don't recall the injuries last year, but he missed games 3 different times because of injuries.

The two players injury histories are not comparable.
You're forgetting his groin injury that took him out of Traverse City and caused him to miss training camp. It's not an insignificant list of injuries and they have come at key times. They're not the same types of injuries, but if you're going to dock points from Larsen I'll do the same for Glennie.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:15 PM
BigG44

Larsen's injuries are clearly something to be concerned about. Glennie's are a fluke broken elbow and a fairly minor concussion. He barely missed any games considering he'd already missed several while at the camp.

A team being safe with a player at a camp isn't an indication he's an injury risk.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:19 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
You're missing his groin injury that took him out of Traverse City and caused him to miss training camp. It's not an insignificant list of injuries, and they have come at key times. They're not the same types of injuries, but if you're going to dock points from Larsen I'll do the same for Glennie.
No I'm not. I said camps. You're docking a rookie camp and tournament is fine .. be my guest. He played games when they have mattered ... regular season and playoffs. Larsen hasn't.

This no logical reason to compare the two players injuries. A significant injury is missing several games of the regular season or playoffs IMO. Glennie's only true example is a fluke broken elbow 3 years ago. Of the 6 games missed 2 years ago... several were the WJC camp.

I'm not saying Larsen is a bad prospect, but injuries are clearly a reasonable concern. No one is producing legitimate evidence that the same is true of Glennie.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:28 PM
piqued

Development camp, Traverse City, NHL training camp, WJC camp, the WJC. All are mileposts on the way to being a top prospect that contends for his NHL club's roster. Glennie has missed many opportunities for potential development due to one reason or another. But yeah, he's played a lot of WHL games and racked a lot of numbers, great. Add that to the lingering questions about his motivation and ability to play through pain, something you accused Larsen of, and awarding him the #2 position over Larsen on the grounds of durability seems extremely suspect to me.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:29 PM
BigG44

Larsen played nearly 100% of the games he could in 08-09, but he only played about 75% of them the next two seasons. If you don't think that's significant, I'm OK with that. Based on his size and build, to me, that's a red flag. It's not going to get easier when the guys get bigger and faster at the next level.

That's something he has to prove he can handle.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:33 PM
piqued

I didn't say it wasn't significant. Injuries are a concern for Larsen. Basically the only one. I'll take the better player with the better attitude who's knocking on the door over the alternative any day though.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:34 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Development camp, Traverse City, NHL training camp, WJC camp, the WJC. All are mileposts on the way to being a top prospect that contends for his NHL club's roster. Glennie has missed a lot of potential development for one reason or another. Great, he's played a lot of WHL games and racked a lot of numbers. Add that to the lingering questions about his motivation and ability to play through pain, something you accused Larsen of, and awarding him the #2 position over Larsen on the grounds of durability seems extremely suspect to me.
It's extremely suspect to me that you'd compare the two injury histories, but that's life. We'll agree to disagree.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:34 PM
piqued

I'm not comparing the damn histories to each other, just that both histories exist, and are extensive.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:40 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't significant. Injuries are a concern for Larsen. Basically the only one. I'll take the better player with the better attitude who's knocking on the door over the alternative any day though.
It's extremely suspect that I'm concerned with Larsen's injury history over Glennie's, but you get to make a definitive judgment about a teenager's character based on a single radio interview.

That's brilliant.

Old
07-09-2011, 01:48 PM
piqued

How is that a definitive judgement? How is that even remotely controversial? Those questions have existed about Glennie since Day 1. Must've been just a coincidence Team Canada didn't want him. Must've been just a coincidence teams weren't banging down Brandon's door to acquire him for the playoffs. Must've been just a coincidence the Stars felt they had to basically assign Gary Roberts to him to salvage the pick. Must be just a coincidence that it's likely going to take a supremely skilled 8th overall pick 3 years to make it to the NHL.

Old
07-09-2011, 02:58 PM
starsfan4ever

Glennie was a weird pick wasn't it? I think you could point out a lot of flaws in the Stars' pick, but being mentally weak isn't one of them.

Larsen's size is cause for concern, but he's how old? 21? Still years to grow. Give me the player with superior hockey sense, speed, and passing.

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:12 PM
txomisc

Quote:
How is that a definitive judgement? How is that even remotely controversial? Those questions have existed about Glennie since Day 1. Must've been just a coincidence Team Canada didn't want him. Must've been just a coincidence teams weren't banging down Brandon's door to acquire him for the playoffs. Must've been just a coincidence the Stars felt they had to basically assign Gary Roberts to him to salvage the pick. Must be just a coincidence that it's likely going to take a supremely skilled 8th overall pick 3 years to make it to the NHL.
This is kind of ridiculous. Where do you get the information that noone was trying to get Glennie for the playoffs? Seems like something you just grabbed from thin air. Team canada probalby didnt want him because before the team canada camp he was clearly terrible. I think the Stars want alot of their youngsters to work with gary roberts...which is exactly why they signed gary roberts. Having one of your top prospects who is on the thin size work with a guy who is known to run a system that really helps players get stronger is hardly a surprise. 8th overall really isnt that high. Players are getting rushed into the NHL that clearly arent ready and I for one am glad Dallas likes to take their time with guys.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:27 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Team canada probalby didnt want him because before the team canada camp he was clearly terrible.
National teams usually seem to give the benefit of the doubt to high-skilled, highly drafted players. They may not be given a spot on the team but they usually seem to get an invite to camp. One has to admit that it looks a little odd that his Stars draft-mate Reilly Smith, he of the 3rd round pedigree, was invited while Glennie was not.

Re: motivation....I don't know how anybody can really look at the career arc of Scott Glennie and not find something at least slightly amiss in the motivation/drive department. It doesn't really seem to be all hearsay to me. In these situations, where there's smoke there's usually fire. Let's say both he and Larsen make the NHL in a full time capacity, you may only be able to count on Larsen suiting up for 60 games but you may only be able to count on Glennie showing up for less than 60. I don't know how you can give Glennie a mulligan for an entire half of a season of hockey.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 05:52 AM
Dave Karp

Went with Larsen. Very marginal distance between him and Glennie for me.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:17 AM
piqued

Still think Glennie's injuries are a non-issue? And Larsen's are?