HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TEAM990: McKenzie say most likely no suspension for Malone (official: no suspension)

Old
10-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Moen is Gone
@MoeninGlory

vCash: 500
I'm surprised Campoli didn't get a couple games for this vicious headbutt on Malone's shoulder. Hard plastic pads offer little protection against a flying jaw

Moen is Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:00 AM
PricePkPatch

I will wait to see Shanahan's video myself before making any judgment call.

I seriously hope he does one. Otherwise it'd be stupid

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:00 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Damn. I hope Malone's shoulder pad is ok...

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Habs8517

Hahaha. League is still a joke, every illegal thing is good against the Habs. This season we will reach a new record in number of lost games.

Will the Molson do something ... oh wait they are a bunch of pansies like the rest of the team.

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

This non-call would make sense last year when it's a clean hockey hit but it's the type of hit they're trying to take out of the game and Shanahan has been having a field day with his suspensions so it makes no sense to me that there's no call on this when every single other similar hit has been a suspension.

I don't care how "debateable" this hit was, the call is absolute horse ****.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:04 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Apparently the Habs are just prone to injuring themselves. How do you fix that? Do you get a self-help coach ?

Please tell me everyone sees the sarcasm in my post.

I'll even put a sarcasm smiley.

there

enjoy.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Taupy

Wow... that's the only thing I can say.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:05 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
That's the thing though...stiffer suspensions doesn't deter anyone. Look at this preseason, I think Shanny has made it clear that he's serious about suspensions. Yet EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, there's another hit sometimes multiple hits within the same game, that are reviwed/discussed for suspensions.

Suspensions didn't deter Malone from spending all of saturday night trying to take off many Habs players heads off. He never thought to himself that maybe he should cool off instead of trying to seek his revenge. NHL players for the most part, just aren't wired that way these days...

Again...no respect.
I meant more on a personal level than anything.

Not that if say Gill takes a suspension for a hit that Cooke will stop doing dirty hits. Rather that if Cooke got suspended for 10 games due to lost salary etc he would maybe think twice in the future.

Obviously he'd still be Matt Cooke but money talks. I wasn't trying to say other players would be affected by it, of course cheap shots will still happen, heck a lot of head shots aren't even intent to injure. But if it can get through to the biggest cheap shot artists in the NHL and make them worry about the consequences then it's still better than doing nothing and as I said can be a part of the solution it just won't be the solution entirely.

I'm not expecting a guy like Smith to look at the Wiz hit and change his game, I think we all know people often don't learn a lesson until it is them being caught. But if it can get guys like Cooke to be less reckless upon receiving their hefty suspension that takes a big chunk of their salary, then it's gotta at least work to some extent. I think a fine comparison is people who speed all the time. Do they stop speeding because their friend got a 1500$ ticket, lost 15 points, had to go to court for reckless endangerment etc? No. They think "it won't happen to me" or "George was an idiot, I'm smart when I speed". But if it happens to them... much bigger chance they change their ways after. The penalty of losing a license for a year and money is enough to deter somebody, but when it happens to a friend it often isn't enough.

I'm sure some guys would think twice. At the end of the day though hockey is a contact sport and even players with the utmost respect for each other, the game etc can make an error in judgment at times. We won't ever eliminate cheap shots, head shots etc unless we eliminate the physical aspect of the game entirely.So while I think hefty suspensions won't fix the problem it certainly can't hurt imo.

Unrelated to your post: Just wanted to say the fact that MacArthur got suspended but not Malone = inconsistent and a joke in general.

Last edited by neofury*: 10-03-2011 at 11:12 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
If they're serious about eliminating headshots, yes they can. Unfortunately, they're not. It was a nice little sideshow while it lasted though, and it would appear we're back at square one.
Yes because the infraction was against a habs player, so we arent making any progress.

Lets forget the 9 other suspensions in PRE-season.

yikes.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:11 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

I guess it's ok for Yemelin to take out Stamkos next time right?

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:11 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

i don't get it. how was this hit any different from the Smith on Smith hit?

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:12 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
I guess it's ok for Yemelin to take out Stamkos next time right?
Seems Fairgame, and where the **** is our "Well this is why I made my decision" video? No justification when there isn't a suspension?

Injustice all around.

and don't give me that pivot prior rule ********, Malone knew what he was doing and couldn't care less about the ****ing puck.

Old
10-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs8517 View Post
Hahaha. League is still a joke, every illegal thing is good against the Habs. This season we will reach a new record in number of lost games.

Will the Molson do something ... oh wait they are a bunch of pansies like the rest of the team.

what are you people freaking about?

And i dont get how the team is full of pansies? And do you not remember Molson sending out a press release after the Chara hit?

There were 4-5 other questionable hits that werent suspended.

Old
10-03-2011, 11:14 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
i don't get it. how was this hit any different from the Smith on Smith hit?
That hit looked more blindside to me.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:18 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Quote:

Wtf? How does this call for Ownership Intervention?

Misguided anger is what I think you are experiencing.

Old
10-03-2011, 11:21 AM
roy munson

Like everyone I was waiting for the verdict, expecting a number. 0 wasn't the one I had in mind. I won't go check, but it must be party time on the main board!

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs8517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post

what are you people freaking about?

And i dont get how the team is full of pansies? And do you not remember Molson sending out a press release after the Chara hit?

There were 4-5 other questionable hits that werent suspended.
Right. The Molson only talked after the ruling, if they cared they would have talked before and put pressure on the NHL. Nothing has changed for the Habs since that press release.

Softness is in every corner of this organization. A once proud franchise is reduced to this pathetic state that the only way to make them relevant is to always glory the past and ram it in our throats because they cant do anything right for the present or the future. Arrogance will lead them to their downfall.

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Yes because the infraction was against a habs player, so we arent making any progress.

Lets forget the 9 other suspensions in PRE-season.

yikes.
I don't care if it was a Habs player or a Bruins player, it's still a joke.

Here's another hit I definitely thought should have gotten additional discipline, but I guess that's because I'm an Oilers homer

The previous suspensions don't mean anything if the standard isn't going to be upheld across the board, which it clearly isn't.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:27 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Smith was very aware of smith, how was that blindsided ?

IMO i agree with no suspensions, but i wasn't aware we already went back to last seasons rules.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:

Here's another hit I definitely thought should have gotten additional discipline, but I guess that's because I'm an Oilers homer

Point being, progress HAS been made, and the difference between last year and this year is night & day. People ask for change, get it, but still have to complain. The way it is i guess.

Of course there will be questionable hits that will go unpunished. These are always debatable. But to call out Habs conspiracy (like some), or for those who want every single questionable hit to be suspended are delusional. Sorry to tell you. Its a contact sport, and unless its cut and dry, these types of hits will always be scrutinized. Shannahan has done a great job so far and should be commended. One week he is a hero, next the villain.

Old
10-03-2011, 11:28 AM
HomaridII

renhockey Renaud P Lavoie
#canadiens Campoli (member of the NHL competition committee) disappointed that Ryan Malone is not suspended. Don't understand the decision

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:28 AM
MathMan

Ultimately the problem is this: if this hit is allowable, for whatever reason, then the NHL simply isn't serious about preventing headshots, and the entire fuss around Shanahan's suspensions is a waste of time and effort.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:30 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

The previous suspensions don't mean anything if the standard isn't going to be upheld across the board, which it clearly isn't.
the reaction Sturm has after the hit alone showed intent. Was obvious, and in that sense is worse than the Campoli hit... we can debate all day long about Malone intent or "effort" to avoid contact...

Sturm ? clear as day that's what he wanted to do.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Right. The Molson only talked after the ruling, if they cared they would have talked before and put pressure on the NHL. Nothing has changed for the Habs since that press release.

Softness is in every corner of this organization. A once proud franchise is reduced to this pathetic state that the only way to make them relevant is to always glory the past and ram it in our throats because they cant do anything right for the present or the future. Arrogance will lead them to their downfall.
What are you talking about?
Every team which took a stand about violence/head shots did so AFTER one of their players go hurt. You want teams to preemptively send out press releases for no reason? All owners want the safety of their players. And since Molson + others spoke out, we are seeing an immediate impact with a record number of suspensions. What else do you want?

And what have they done to champion the past recently? Did you not want them to celebrate their 100 years as an organization? Do ex-greats deserve NOT to be recognized because of the current team`s state? What of teams with no championships? Or those that have won 1 championship in 30 years? 1 in 40. Are they all soft as well? Last time i checked, i didnt see a marketing campaign of " we have the most championships, hence we are the best now". You cant control what fans think of the team and lack of recent success masked with past glories.

You are really reaching here buddy.

Old
10-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
The term 'blindside' isn't a part of the headshot rule anymore. According to the amended rule, there is no distinction between a 'North-South' hit that targets the head and a blindside one.

Quote:
Rule 48 previously provided on-ice officials with the ability to call a major penalty for any targeted head hit from the lateral or blind side, but the re-written rule no longer includes the words lateral or blind side, and the major-penalty provision has been replaced by the minor-penalty provision.
http://hockeycop.blogspot.com/2011/0...is-season.html

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote