HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TEAM990: McKenzie say most likely no suspension for Malone (official: no suspension)

Old
10-03-2011, 10:36 AM
ruski17

vCash: 500
Maybe someone told Shanahan to calm down with the suspensions.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:38 AM

I kind of expected this a little bit after Bob McKenzie's tweet last night: TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
No word yet, one way or other, on Ryan Malone's hit on Chris Campoli. Was it "head shot" or did CC lean into it "just prior." That's the ?

I also remember him saying that Chara is a clean player, plays a physical game without crossing the line bla bla bla after the Chara hit on Pacioretty. **** fatso.

Last edited by Mike8: 10-03-2011 at 11:03 AM.
68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Protest the Hero

Doesn't really surprise me that two controversial headshots that weren't later suspended happened to two Canadian teams.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:54 AM
la25ecoupe

i don't see the difference with this one and the others..

ok next game guys, let's go head hunting..

we'll probly get 50 games..

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:56 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs8517 View Post
Will the Molson do something ... oh wait they are a bunch of pansies like the rest of the team.
Do you expect Geoff Molson to challenge Shanny to a fight? And Gorges was hardly a ***** for going after Malone. Would you have gone after Malone like Gorges did?

But I'm pissed too. It's almost comical. Right after the hit I thought to myself, well at least Shanny is in charge now, but part of me thought that somehow, someway, this would go unpunished for whatever reason. And here we go...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:01 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
The term 'blindside' isn't a part of the headshot rule anymore. According to the amended rule, there is no distinction between a 'North-South' hit that targets the head and a blindside one.

http://hockeycop.blogspot.com/2011/0...is-season.html
Thanks...........and I understand. I just don't think those two hits should be compared. Smith the hittee had complete control of the puck and Smith the hitter did come from a different direction despite what the rulebook states. Whereas Campoli "could have had" Malone in his sights but was focused too much on the lost puck and trying to regain control. That's honestly how I see it. And I do think the Malone hit warranted a game or two suspension but I was never in the camp for 5 - 10.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:03 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Point being, progress HAS been made, and the difference between last year and this year is night & day. People ask for change, get it, but still have to complain. The way it is i guess.
There's some progress yes, but if you ask me, the Malone and Sturm non-suspensions are not promising signs. They're symbolic of either steps backwards, Shanahan succumbing to pressure, or even more concerning, that we're back to the old guard where there's zero consistency from one suspension to the next. I was thrilled with the idea of a zero-tolerance ban on headshots, and I thought Shanahan was serious about cracking down on it. Can you really tell me, after those two go unsuspended, that we're really serious about it?

Starting out of the gate with a bang like Shanahan did is fine, but if you don't stick to your guns, what's it worth? And after this weekend, I'm not seeing much to put my faith in.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:16 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

How the **** is this clean but the Brendan Smith hit dirty?!?!?!

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:27 AM
habitue*

I am not overly surprised...

Who was the last player who got a suspension for a dirty hit on a Habs' player ?

Certainly not a Bruins player.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I am not overly surprised...

Who was the last player who got a suspension for a dirty hit on a Habs' player ?

Certainly not a Bruins player.
Actually, it was.

Lucic in 2008-09, for his cross-check to Lapierre's face. None since, but that same year Ruutu got suspended for elbowing Lapierre and Gauthier got suspended for elbowing Gorges.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Bullsmith

Thought this was a no-brainer. Two games, anyway.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:35 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
Actually, it was.

Lucic in 2008-09, for his cross-check to Lapierre's face. None since, but that same year Ruutu got suspended for elbowing Lapierre and Gauthier got suspended for elbowing Gorges.
Thanks for the info !

Old
10-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Gary320

I felt it was going to be debatable, do I think it was intentional? Maybe not, but I feel it was recklessness, also stupid.

Campoli isn't to blame, he's going to reach for the puck because it's far from him and he's a defender in his zone. Ryan Malone had the advantage right there to beat him to the puck, instead he checks him. Just felt it was a stupid decision. I said 5 games, cause that's the average.. but I expected 2.

What ever, **** happens. It was very debatable anyway.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:43 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Crap any idiot could see that Malone was hab-hunting there were three occasions before the headshot where he went after players. Plus the 'salut' to Campoli, that should have cemented it.

What we can learn is that Shanahan and the league can't be trusted to provide a deterrent against guys injuring our players, so we'll have to do it ourselves. IMO this puts Moen and White in the lineup and gives Yemelin the edge over Diaz. For starters.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:46 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Crap any idiot could see that Malone was hab-hunting there were three occasions before the headshot where he went after players. Plus the 'salut' to Campoli, that should have cemented it.

What we can learn is that Shanahan and the league can't be trusted to provide a deterrent against guys injuring our players, so we'll have to do it ourselves. IMO this puts Moen and White in the lineup and gives Yemelin the edge over Diaz. For starters.
These two will be in the line up as soon as they're getting better. yemelin seems a bit overwhelmed right now by NHL type of play. I am not expecting him to be really effective before X-Mas.

Old
10-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
There's some progress yes, but if you ask me, the Malone and Sturm non-suspensions are not promising signs. They're symbolic of either steps backwards, Shanahan succumbing to pressure, or even more concerning, that we're back to the old guard where there's zero consistency from one suspension to the next. I was thrilled with the idea of a zero-tolerance ban on headshots, and I thought Shanahan was serious about cracking down on it. Can you really tell me, after those two go unsuspended, that we're really serious about it?

Starting out of the gate with a bang like Shanahan did is fine, but if you don't stick to your guns, what's it worth? And after this weekend, I'm not seeing much to put my faith in.
I do believe they are serious. Do you think these hits werent happening last pre-season? Last year there were 0 suspensions in pre-season that carried over to the regular season. That is significant.

You cant champion Shannahan for his early suspensions, and now bash him because the 2 hits were recently let go. We havent played 1 regular season game yet. Does it mean they arent serious about head shots? No. But its not always black and white. They are making progress but its not perfect. Again, they can not keep suspending guys on plays that are not clear cut. They looked at the play and determined because of his positioning, that the head was not targeted, do i agree? No, but do i understand? yes. Its hard to be objectionable when it involves a team we root for, especially when similar (not exactly) hits were delivered. In this case, for myself, it was borderline. At some point, we have to tell the puck carriers to not put themselves in certain positions, but ultimately the player who hits is responsible. It is a culture change, and everyone in the league is on new territory. Give it a few months before you pass judgements.

In my opinion, what the league has done so far is unprecedented and they are taking big steps. Players will soon realize, and the game will be better for it.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:50 AM
BBrowser

Well, it's back to square one form me. Eye for an eye. I want head hunting from the Habs if hunting is allowed.

I can enjoy a good freak show, just don't pretend it isn't one, NHL.

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrowser View Post
Well, it's back to square one form me. Eye for an eye. I want head hunting from the Habs if hunting is allowed.

And who can do that on our team?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:58 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

pertty much what they're doing... it's been a few years now they start the season saying they'll crack down on headshots and all...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
How the **** is this clean but the Brendan Smith hit dirty?!?!?!
That's a good question. Not sure myself. To be honest, I was struggling to keep up with the reasoning behind the suspensions after the MacArthur hit. This just confuses me more.

With the Smith hit:
- it was not deemed intentional (I agree with that)
- it was deemed reckless (I can see the arguement for that if that is a standard upheld consistently)
- it was a play that developed and occured at high speed meaning judgements made by the Wings Smith had to be more accurate and he had less time to adjust as the play develops
- CBHs Smith had control of the puck on the play
- The Hawks Smith didn't move his head before the hit but did move his left shoulder IIRC slightly before the hit which affected how and where he got hit
- CBHs Smith was injured on the play
- that was deemed worthy of pre-season plus 5 regular season games (I thought that was a bit steep but if that is the standard then fair enough)

With the MacArthur hit:
- it was not deemed intentional (I wasn't certain about that)
- it was deemed reckless (I agree with that at the least)
- the play occured at a slower speed than Smith/Smith which I felt provided MacA with more opportunity to try and avoid head contact, but he didn't seem to make as much effort to avoid the head as I thought he could have
- Abdelkader didn't have control of or touch the puck on the play
- Abdelkader did not change his body position immediately before or during the hit (I'm ignoring the embellishment aspect as that shouldn't play into a ruling on a hit to the head, that should be a seperate issue to deal with)
- Abdelkader wasn't injured on the play
- The hit was deemed worthy of pre-season plus 2 regular season games

So in short, a reckless hit occuring at high speed, on a player with the puck who got injured is worth about 3 times as many games as a reckless hit occuring on a slower play, with more time for the hitter to adjust to hitting a player who doesn't and didn't touch the puck who doesn't get injured. I can't see why the injury suffered by Smith is worth so many more games when taking into account how both plays occured. If Abdelkader had the puck, then I think that'd be about right, but he didn't play it, still got hit in the head, and that was only worth pre-season + 2.

And then the decision on Malone just confuses me further still. Campoli has just lost the puck, is in a vulnerable position, doesn't change his position significantly as Malone approaches, Malone has time to take the puck OR avoid the hit OR hit Campoli differently and Campoli doesn't finish the game but that isn't worth anything.

As far as I can tell, when trying to figure out what suspensions should be handed out this season, we may as well return to the blind monkey spinning a wheel because having time to avoid hitting a guy without the puck is apparently not as severe as slightly misjudging a hit on a high speed play on a guy who has the puck.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:59 AM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And who can do that on our team?
Anyone who can skate, really, who cares.

Or hire 4X mercs at 500 K each to hunt for heads. Just rotate them in the linup as the suspensions fall.

Old
10-03-2011, 12:04 PM
haburger

Quote:

i agree. unfortunately it has come down kill or be killed.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:05 PM
DJ Breadman

Lets flood shanny's twitter

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:06 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Check 0:43.

Vulnerable player? Check.
Could have played the puck? Check.
Targets the head? Check.
Follows through and delivers a blow to the head? Check.

How is this not a suspension? Everything Shanahan has been talking about is on display here. He says "the game is still about the puck". Everything else is obvious. WTF.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:06 PM
BBrowser

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=60&id=125761

Watch the Cooke hit (around 58 secs)

Shanaban almost sounds paternalistic "REGARDLESS OF THE DIRECTION IN WHICH THE PLAYERS ARE MOVING THE HEAD CANNOT BE TARGETTED AND ALSO THE PRINCIPAL POINT OF CONTACT"

NHL just got stupid again. Sigh.