HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

TEAM990: McKenzie say most likely no suspension for Malone (official: no suspension)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-03-2011, 12:09 PM
  #126
elsubz
Registered User
 
elsubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,877
vCash: 500
What a freaking joke. Even the guy himself was expecting a suspension. **** off Shanahan

elsubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:09 PM
  #127
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
The NHL brass is just snubbing the Montreal Canadiens because Molson went public last season about the Chara-MaxPac incident.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:11 PM
  #128
Gary320
Moderator
 
Gary320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post


Check 0:43.

Vulnerable player? Check.
Could have played the puck? Check.
Targets the head? Check.
Follows through and delivers a blow to the head? Check.

How is this not a suspension? Everything Shanahan has been talking about is on display here. He says "the game is still about the puck". Everything else is obvious. WTF.
See I could understand how he might say Campoli made himself vulnerable. Well yeah, but he did it because he is a DEFENDER and losing the puck.. He needed to reach.

Malone comes in, sees that.. could have PLAYED the puck instead, I mean the play is going on within the Canadiens zone. Not like this is a danger to Malone's team getting scored on, plus if anything, if Malone trys to play the puck, likely he out muscles Campoli and maybe scores a goal.

Still thinking If Campoli stands still, Malone still connects with a head shot, no?

I'm not going to cry my self a river, but I just find it strange since it's clearly obvious. I do hope Shanahan releases a video explaining why he didn't give a suspension.




But people, let's really relax with the conspiracies.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:13 PM
  #129
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,935
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
I do believe they are serious. Do you think these hits werent happening last pre-season? Last year there were 0 suspensions in pre-season that carried over to the regular season. That is significant.

You cant champion Shannahan for his early suspensions, and now bash him because the 2 hits were recently let go. We havent played 1 regular season game yet. Does it mean they arent serious about head shots? No. But its not always black and white. They are making progress but its not perfect. Again, they can not keep suspending guys on plays that are not clear cut. They looked at the play and determined because of his positioning, that the head was not targeted, do i agree? No, but do i understand? yes. Its hard to be objectionable when it involves a team we root for, especially when similar (not exactly) hits were delivered. In this case, for myself, it was borderline. At some point, we have to tell the puck carriers to not put themselves in certain positions, but ultimately the player who hits is responsible. It is a culture change, and everyone in the league is on new territory. Give it a few months before you pass judgements.

In my opinion, what the league has done so far is unprecedented and they are taking big steps. Players will soon realize, and the game will be better for it.
I don't understand your logic. So you're admitting it's not perfect but at the same time, you're admonishing me for complaining about the imperfections. Why should I continue applauding Shanahan if I don't feel he's doing a good job anymore? I loved the early pre-season rulings; I hate these two "non-rulings", so I'm calling him on it.

I would love nothing more than to believe that Shanahan and the league are serious about getting head-shots out of the game, but these two most recent incidents have me concerned that it's nothing more than smoke and mirrors. Again, we'll see.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:20 PM
  #130
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
See I could understand how he might say Campoli made himself vulnerable. Well yeah, but he did it because he is a DEFENDER and losing the puck.. He needed to reach.

Malone comes in, sees that.. could have PLAYED the puck instead, I mean the play is going on within the Canadiens zone. Not like this is a danger to Malone's team getting scored on, plus if anything, if Malone trys to play the puck, likely he out muscles Campoli and maybe scores a goal.
Campoli was also engaged with another Lightning player just prior to the hit. He was vulnerable. This no suspension ruling is a freaking joke.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:21 PM
  #131
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,696
vCash: 1707
aw come on, what's this ********...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:22 PM
  #132
Hemlor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Campoli was also engaged with another Lightning player just prior to the hit. He was vulnerable. This no suspension ruling is a freaking joke.
This. Yet no mention of it by anyone. I guess we need to wait for the official word. Does Shanahan need to make a video explaining why there is no suspension?

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:25 PM
  #133
Gary320
Moderator
 
Gary320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,727
vCash: 500
I just watched the video again, you can CLEARLY see the puck pass right by Malone. So why did he have to do a "check"?....

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:28 PM
  #134
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't understand your logic. So you're admitting it's not perfect but at the same time, you're admonishing me for complaining about the imperfections. Why should I continue applauding Shanahan if I don't feel he's doing a good job anymore? I loved the early pre-season rulings; I hate these two "non-rulings", so I'm calling him on it.

I would love nothing more than to believe that Shanahan and the league are serious about getting head-shots out of the game, but these two most recent incidents have me concerned that it's nothing more than smoke and mirrors. Again, we'll see.
The more I think about it the more I think people (or more likely more than 1 person) didn't like the Shanahan approach to head shots and they let him know.

There are a lot high up folks in the NHL who am am sure were really not happy with the way he was cracking down.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:28 PM
  #135
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,995
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I just watched the video again, you can CLEARLY see the puck pass right by Malone. So why did he have to do a "check"?....
...because he was head-hunting. All game he was going after our players. Cheapshot ********, but Shanahan apparently looked for an excuse not to suspend him.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:30 PM
  #136
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,935
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
The more I think about it the more I think people (or more likely more than 1 person) didn't like the Shanahan approach to head shots and they let him know.

There are a lot high up folks in the NHL who am am sure were really not happy with the way he was cracking down.
I agree. It just seems bizarre that he would come down hard on Smith and MacArthur and then...nothing. I'm not much for conspiracy theories but it does make you wonder what goes on behind the scenes.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:34 PM
  #137
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Regardless of this prior to ********...Malone made no attempt to slow down or lessen the hit, in fact he took the opportunity of vulnerability to deliver a head shot, that alone is worthy of a suspension(2 games?) It was reckless, period.

But wtv, as long as Campoli is fine that's what counts.
But the thing is, doesn't this also send a message that the league seems to see the Canadiens as a wimpy, small team that deserve to get picked on and head shotted with no recourse? When was the last time a Habs player got hit in the head and a suspension of any note was doled out? And really, I can't see a big difference between the Malone hit and the Smith hit. The only difference is that one guy is a nobody, and the other a somebody. In what world did Malone not target Campoli's head? And who cares if Campoli is now okay? The league needs to wake up and realize that intent is everything. Just because a guy survives a hit without serious injury doesn't make it okay or less vicious. I just don't get it. It's like when a guy goes to elbow someone in the head and misses their head. It still should be a penalty. In soccer for instance, if guy goes to slide tackle a player with his studs up and misses, he still gets a yellow card most of the time. This is just so logical to me. If you do something reckless you should always get penalized for it, whatever the circumstance. That's how you curb the violence in the game, imo.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:37 PM
  #138
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
But the thing is, doesn't this also send a message that the league seems to see the Canadiens as a wimpy, small team that deserve to get picked on and head shotted with no recourse? When was the last time a Habs player got hit in the head and a suspension of any note was doled out? And really, I can't see a big difference between the Malone hit and the Smith hit. The only difference is that one guy is a nobody, and the other a somebody. In what world did Malone not target Campoli's head? And who cares if Campoli is now okay? The league needs to wake up and realize that intent is everything. Just because a guy survives a hit without serious injury doesn't make it okay or less vicious. I just don't get it. It's like when a guy goes to elbow someone in the head and misses their head. It still should be a penalty. In soccer for instance, if guy goes to slide tackle a player with his studs up and misses, he still gets a yellow card most of the time. This is just so logical to me. If you do something reckless you should always get penalized for it, whatever the circumstance. That's how you curb the violence in the game, imo.
The sad thing is, even when are players are severely hurt, there's no suspension. So basically it's hunting season when teams play the habs with no recourse.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:37 PM
  #139
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,293
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I agree. It just seems bizarre that he would come down hard on Smith and MacArthur and then...nothing. I'm not much for conspiracy theories but it does make you wonder what goes on behind the scenes.
Maybe the Habs should try to get somebody onto the 'blue-ribbon' safety committee with Shanahan and Yzerman to find out.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:38 PM
  #140
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't understand your logic. So you're admitting it's not perfect but at the same time, you're admonishing me for complaining about the imperfections. Why should I continue applauding Shanahan if I don't feel he's doing a good job anymore? I loved the early pre-season rulings; I hate these two "non-rulings", so I'm calling him on it.

I would love nothing more than to believe that Shanahan and the league are serious about getting head-shots out of the game, but these two most recent incidents have me concerned that it's nothing more than smoke and mirrors. Again, we'll see.
Wasnt calling you about because you dont agree with the non-suspensions, but with the fact that you believe that no progress is being made which is far from the truth.

I just dont believe its far to judge his work on a case by case scenario, but should be looked at what he has done so far. In this case its far more than anyone has every done to protect players.
The ultimate goal is to create awareness amongst the player and it will tajke longer than 7 pre-season games.

People will always complain and or disagree with the rulings. Whether it be too long, not enough etc. but at least its being worked on. Whereas Campbell would have suspended no one. It cant change over night.

I think Malone should have had a game, but im not gonna condemn him and his process over 1-2 tough calls, when so far his work has been very good.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:39 PM
  #141
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I agree. It just seems bizarre that he would come down hard on Smith and MacArthur and then...nothing. I'm not much for conspiracy theories but it does make you wonder what goes on behind the scenes.
Exactly. **** the Smith hit but the MacArthur one... that in no way merited a suspension. The Malone hit was 5x worse than the MacArthur one and 10x more blatant especially considering the context that Malone was head hunting for quite some time and starting feuds throughout the game.

That being said I'm not necessarily upset with the decision but rather the consistency. MacArthur gets suspended 2 games for something imo should not have been suspend worthy but Malone gets 0 for something that imo deserved 2 games. Again it was debatable and of course Campoli is luckily okay, but given the context and the fact of MacArthur being suspended... I think it's pretty fail on the consistency aspect of things.

And like you mentioned this isn't a good sign for things to come. How anyone would try to argue against your point or call you a whiner(paraphrasing here) is beyond me. Again though not saying it isn't debatable just saying consistency is far off here.



Not even comparable really, Malone hit was far more vicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Wasnt calling you about because you dont agree with the non-suspensions, but with the fact that you believe that no progress is being made which is far from the truth.

I just dont believe its far to judge his work on a case by case scenario, but should be looked at what he has done so far. In this case its far more than anyone has every done to protect players.
The ultimate goal is to create awareness amongst the player and it will tajke longer than 7 pre-season games.

People will always complain and or disagree with the rulings. Whether it be too long, not enough etc. but at least its being worked on. Whereas Campbell would have suspended no one. It cant change over night.

I think Malone should have had a game, but im not gonna condemn him and his process over 1-2 tough calls, when so far his work has been very good.
Well when you take 1 step forward and 1 step back, is that progress? The only difference here is that Shannahan a more well liked person is handing out the suspensions now over Campbell. The inconsistency is still there only now we have videos to show us when they do carry out a suspension (and none when there isn't one lol) so therefore no real accountability. It's zero consistency and no accountability for non-suspensions, not even any explanation to debunk.

If you ask me taking 1 step forward and then 1 step back isn't a sign of progress so I have to agree with Hoto.

I understand you're trying to say by changing the rule now this is a step forward but if consistency and enforcement of that rule remains an issue then that's a step backward and thus negates any possible progress which could have or might have been made.

I agree that people will always disagree or complain about the ruling but bare in mind no real ruling was made, well, the ruling made being 0 games when clear as day a day earlier a far less severe hit took place that got 2 games. So while people will complain with the length etc there was no length in this case and given the rules and how they're used there should have been. Given the other stuff that got suspensions mere days earlier there should have been a suspension. Personally I could care less if Malone gets suspended for 2 games or 0, it doesn't effect my team or me in anyway, but what I do care about is Shannahan being consistent and that goes for if it was a hit on Campoli or a hit on Chara that Malone did. It doesn't matter I just want them to be consistent which they aren't being.


Last edited by neofury*: 10-03-2011 at 12:45 PM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:40 PM
  #142
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,807
vCash: 500
On a side note, those habs conspiracy theories are just embarrassing.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:45 PM
  #143
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
On a side note, those habs conspiracy theories are just embarrassing.
They are, but you have to admit this is all a little puzzling. How can Shanahan watch that video and think that Malone was not targeting Campoli's head? And if he's not, it's clearly a reckless play.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:47 PM
  #144
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,935
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
Wasnt calling you about because you dont agree with the non-suspensions, but with the fact that you believe that no progress is being made which is far from the truth.

I just dont believe its far to judge his work on a case by case scenario, but should be looked at what he has done so far. In this case its far more than anyone has every done to protect players.
The ultimate goal is to create awareness amongst the player and it will tajke longer than 7 pre-season games.

People will always complain and or disagree with the rulings. Whether it be too long, not enough etc. but at least its being worked on. Whereas Campbell would have suspended no one. It cant change over night.

I think Malone should have had a game, but im not gonna condemn him and his process over 1-2 tough calls, when so far his work has been very good.
Point taken, maybe I was a bit too egregious in condemning Shanahan, but I just don't want to see us going back to where we were last year after (it looked like) we were finally getting serious about headshots. But it all comes down to one man's opinion and I guess if at the end of the day I agree with the majority of his rulings, then I'd have to concede he's doing a a good job. We'll just see where it goes from here.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:47 PM
  #145
Gary320
Moderator
 
Gary320's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
They are, but you have to admit this is all a little puzzling. How can Shanahan watch that video and think that Malone was not targeting Campoli's head? And if he's not, it's clearly a reckless play.
Thats the thing, we can argue it was not intentional, but it was reckless. 100% reckless. But wtv.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:52 PM
  #146
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
At least Campoli is okay. If he were to miss significant time because of this, it would be a ****storm on a whole other level. And yes, the no suspension is wildly puzzling...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:52 PM
  #147
Haddock
Registered User
 
Haddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moulinsart
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Anyone who listened can say what was McKenzie's stance on this? Or did he just pussed out like he usually does? Thanks.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:57 PM
  #148
phoque taupe
Registered User
 
phoque taupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
So Yzerman did listen to Brodeur

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:01 PM
  #149
Jesse Pinkman
Registered User
 
Jesse Pinkman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 442
vCash: 500
Shanahan used to play with Yzerman, right?

Jesse Pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:05 PM
  #150
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
This. Yet no mention of it by anyone. I guess we need to wait for the official word. Does Shanahan need to make a video explaining why there is no suspension?
I've mentioned it more than once, apparently you didn't read the entire thread.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.