HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Melrose on the Rangers

Old
10-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Melrose on the Rangers

Melrose mentions the Rangers twice in his Mondays with Melrose segment on NHL.com.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=2943

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=2945

I feel like the first article is a shot at the Rangers.

The second, I don't think there is any way in hell that Richards has the most pressure on him.

I never knew Melrose disliked the Rangers this much.

"The Rangers front office decided the team needed a scorer, so they signed Marian Gaborik. There was the Wade Redden thing before that. The team throws money at its problems. That's a list: the top five Rangers acquisitions that didn't work out."

What does Redden have to do with pressure on the Rangers. They didn't over pay for Richards like they did with Redden, Gomez, and Drury. Richards has a resume the other 3 can only dream about and unlike Gomez, Drury, and Redden has shown by his time in Dallas that he is not a product of the system of the team by being successful with two different teams.

To think I actually held a high opinion of Melrose.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:55 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

vCash: 500
Never liked Melrose or gave a crap what he has to say.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:56 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Melrose hasn't been relevant since NHL2Night aired on ESPN....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Melrose doesn't dislike the Rangers. He used to pick us to win the division like every year of our long playoff drought.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:59 PM
mullichicken25

i hate when melrose is on ESPN

he makes hockey look like a sideshow

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:04 PM
OverTheCap

I read both articles. Melrose later goes on to say complimentary things about the Rangers in the first article:

Quote:
It's time for the Rangers to quit finishing as an also-ran. I like the way this team has been built from within. It has one of the best goaltenders in the world. We will find out if Henrik Lundqvist is as good as he is billed. It is easy to be good as a goalie. The great goalies win.

People are always saying the Rangers need to score goals in front of Lundqvist. This team can score goals.
What he said about the team throwing money at its problem is not a false statement. It's the harsh reality of what Sather has done during most of his time here. A bit of a dig, I guess, but until the Rangers start making noise in the playoffs, the critics are going to bring that up.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:08 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Melrose doesn't dislike the Rangers. He used to pick us to win the division like every year of our long playoff drought.
The year he didnt was the year we actually made the playoffs.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Come on, you have to look at this objectively: this team does throw money at problems. We needed centers a few years ago so we signed Gomez and Drury. We needed an offensive defenseman so we signed Redden. We needed an elite scorer so we signed Gaborik. And finally, we needed a top center (again) and we signed Richards. To say we don't throw money at problems is homer-ish.

But on the other hand we are not the only team that does this, and to say we are is asinine.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I read both articles. Melrose later goes on to say complimentary things about the Rangers in the first article:

What he said about the team throwing money at its problem is not a false statement. It's the harsh reality of what Sather has done during most of his time here. A bit of a dig, I guess, but until the Rangers start making noise in the playoffs, the critics are going to bring that up.
No but its inaccurate. Hes suggesting through his writing that players like Gaborik and Richards are comparable to Redden Gomez and Drury.

Richards has yet to play a regular season game in a Rangers uni but his history is much different from the other three. Signing a goalscorer who finished 5th in the NHL the year he was signed is hardly throwing money at the problem, they are smart free agent acquisitions thus using available cap space to fix a problem, rather then "buying" our way to a cup as has been the long stigma attached with this team.

Old
10-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Come on, you have to look at this objectively: this team does throw money at problems. We needed centers a few years ago so we signed Gomez and Drury. We needed an offensive defenseman so we signed Redden. We needed an elite scorer so we signed Gaborik. And finally, we needed a top center (again) and we signed Richards. To say we don't throw money at problems is homer-ish.

But on the other hand we are not the only team that does this, and to say we are is asinine.
Im not suggesting that we haven't. But how is signing Gaborik and Richards who are proven super stars, versus overpaying mediocre players... there is a big difference.

Old
10-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Im not suggesting that we haven't. But how is signing Gaborik and Richards who are proven super stars, versus overpaying mediocre players... there is a big difference.
Yeah but, regardless of the success that Gaborik/Richards have vs. the lack of success that Drury/Gomez/Redden had, we STILL threw money at our problems by signing them.

Even if Gaborik and Richards are better signings, it doesn't negate Melrose's point that we had a hole at a certain position and we went out and spent some money to fill that hole.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:22 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
No but its inaccurate. Hes suggesting through his writing that players like Gaborik and Richards are comparable to Redden Gomez and Drury.

Richards has yet to play a regular season game in a Rangers uni but his history is much different from the other three. Signing a goalscorer who finished 5th in the NHL the year he was signed is hardly throwing money at the problem, they are smart free agent acquisitions thus using available cap space to fix a problem, rather then "buying" our way to a cup as has been the long stigma attached with this team.
I agree Gaborik and Richards are in a different class than Redden, Gomez, and Drury, but those mistakes still loom large for some of these analysts. I think Melrose wants to see Richards prove it on the ice before he can declare him as a free agent success story. I don't think he's wrong in that regard. We all have high expectations for this team and he's just wondering if those expectations will be met.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Everything he actually said was right, although I disagree with the way he orders things (as opposed to being too sensitive to implication).

I think Roberto Luongo has WAY more pressure on him than Richards. The Rangers expect to see improvement from the team this year, and that comes from Richards. The Canucks are living with the failure in the SCF, in a large part due to Luongo. Luongo is also the goalie for team Canada. Richards has on him the eyes of a city, whose #1 or 2 sport (and usually #3 when NBA is in season) is not hockey. Luongo has on him the eyes of a country whose #1 sport is far and away hockey. Pronger and Ovie belong on that list for sure. If those are my 5 guys, I'd say that the list should be Luongo, Pronger, Ovie, Richards, Heatley. Thornton belongs on that list though. I'm not sure if the expectations on Minnesota are really high enough to put Heatley under THAT much pressure.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

The names may be better but the M.O. is the same. So in that case, he's right. 2/3 of the top line were bought.

10-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The names may be better but the M.O. is the same. So in that case, he's right. 2/3 of the top line were bought.
I guess we just disagree. Richards chose NY over plenty of other teams and the Rangers didn't even offer him the most money. The Rangers old M.O. would have been to offer Richards 9 mil a year rather then the 6.6 or whatever he signed for. It would have been offering second tier players, elite money, or offering elite players the max contract just to make sure they were signed.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:35 PM
MTK

Quote:
I guess we just disagree. Richards chose NY over plenty of other teams and the Rangers didn't even offer him the most money. The Rangers old M.O. would have been to offer Richards 9 mil a year rather then the 6.6 or whatever he signed for. It would have been offering second tier players, elite money, or offering elite players the max contract just to make sure they were signed.
Average it out all you want but he is getting the following payments below and he will retire before this contract is finished.

Please note I have no issue with the contract at all just saying he chose less money is kind of inaccurate. It was structured differently due to the bonuses. I do not see him playing out the last 3-4 years of this contract.

Richards year by year: $12m, $12m, $9m, $8.5m, $8.5m, $7m, $1m, $1m, $1m. $10m signing bonus+$2m the salary first year, $8m signing bonus + $4m salary the second

Barry Melrose is a tool

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Well, how did the other teams structure their offers? We can't say he's getting more or less money unless we know for certain the structure of the other offers.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:40 PM
broadwayblue

Didn't Melrose want the Rangers head coaching job a few years back?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Nosferatos

is there not an soap opra named Melrose something.

Nosferatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

When the typical character assassination thats all too common on this board when any criticism is levied towards the Rangers is over, maybe we can discuss the actual quote that has some merit?

While we fawn over the second and third tier talent that the organization has developed and moved into the lineup, the fact remains that boatloads of money have been spent trying to import the all-to-important positions of #1C, #1W, and #1D.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Pizza

Quote:
I never knew Melrose disliked the Rangers this much.
Now you know. This is just SOP for Melrose.

He feels the Rangers dissed him in consideration of a coaching position years ago. He has never, ever missed a chance to stick it to the Rangers and generally starts off each hockey season the same way. He's a clown and you should never have held him in high regard. But again, now you know.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Everything he actually said was right
Melrose has a huge hard on for Sather. He's totally biased, and makes his agenda clear every time he opens his mouth. The Rangers will never do anything right in his eyes. The only job he can get is with ESPN, which takes hockey about as seriously as bad mitten. Maybe less so.

From what I've heard the closest he'll ever get to coaching a NHL team again is sitting near a bench. No one takes him seriously.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Ironically, on SiriusXM last week, Melrose was on, and he had nothing but praise for the Rangers.

He said they're a top four team in the Eastern Conference.

Also mentioned that our defense is underrated.

Boomer agreed. Which is also ironic because Boomer is typically a little critical of... everything.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Ironically, on SiriusXM last week, Melrose was on, and he had nothing but praise for the Rangers.

He said they're a top four team in the Eastern Conference.

Also mentioned that our defense is underrated.
He's always been overly optimistic about the Rangers. I don't know what Pizza is talking about.

Old
10-03-2011, 05:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Melrose gets a lot of flack.

Most recently how he handled Stamkos. And he spoke of that, too. Stamkos wasn't NHL ready physically. And he had a lot of pressure to get the team to the playoffs, and a lot of pressure to have Stamkos on the NHL roster.

Catch 22.

Weather or not he's a little cooky at times, he isn't an idiot.

Its like the folks who get on Pierre McGuire. He knows his stuff. He's paid to be opinionated. But he's an ambassador to the sport, and from all his interviews I've heard and from what I've heard of those who net him, he's a nice guy.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote