HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Derek Boogaard got his first point tonight!

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2005, 09:51 PM
The Big E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
Sends a msg that don't screw around with our players...
Zactly.

When we had Moose in the line-up, our skill guys were safer. There was a distinct difference between the 1st and 2nd seasons and the third one. If my memory serves me right, we got Moose that 3rd season. Before that you could really pound on our best players (Gabbie and ... er... Gabbie).

All I want is a large psychopath to strike the fear of pain into any chippy, dirty player who wants to mess with our growing stable of stars. I'm sure that Derek is probably the nicest guy off the ice ...as Matt Johnson is, but ... it's all about fear, baby.

I would prefer an NHL that has banned fighting, i.e., you get tossed and suspended. Until that day ... The Boogie-Man Rules.

The Big E

Old
10-17-2005, 10:05 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

having an enforcer is part of the nhl, deal with it folks

cheer him on

Old
10-18-2005, 12:48 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Boogaard is a nice guy off the ice. Quiet.

But yeah! Boogaard is out there making sure teams like the Ducks don't take cheap shots. Brennan and Fedoruk are only out there because they can fight and rough people up.

Would you rather see a guy like O'Sully get injured because we didn't send a msg don't screw with our guys or would you rather let them pound on each other in the first period...

Old
10-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big E
Zactly.

When we had Moose in the line-up, our skill guys were safer. There was a distinct difference between the 1st and 2nd seasons and the third one. If my memory serves me right, we got Moose that 3rd season. Before that you could really pound on our best players (Gabbie and ... er... Gabbie).
Wrong Big E - Moose was with the team from season 1 - the Wild swapped Jeff Odgers to Atlanta for him right after the expansion draft.

Old
10-18-2005, 09:55 AM
MePutPuckInNet

i thought i made my point rather clearly, but apparently not

...i think people confuse retribution and protection.

you can't protect anyone if you're in the box because you felt you had to settle some personal feud from the previous season....in the minor leagues.

I'm pretty sure that what Boogaard did on Sunday did not endear him to his current teammates one bit. maybe they'll say all the right things in the press, but he only proved that he felt his vendetta from last season was more important than being there for his team right now.

Old
10-18-2005, 10:10 AM
ceber

This whole vendetta thing is pretty much speculation, from what I can tell. Not suprised Boogaard would feel good about getting a win with Brennan, but from what I saw in both fights Boogaard was just a willing participant, nothing more. Didn't look to me to be any different than any of the other heavyweight fights you see in the league. Two heavys are on the ice at the same time. One guy says "wanna go?" They line up on the same side of the face off, whack sticks a bit to get themselves psyched up, and away they go. What's the big deal?

Old
10-18-2005, 10:44 AM
MePutPuckInNet

star tribune

Boogaard wanted to fight Brennan since the first round of April's American Hockey League Calder Cup playoffs. Playing for Houston, Boogaard said he was "eye-gouged" by Brennan, who was playing for Chicago.

"My sight was messed up for a bit," Boogaard, 23, said. "My eyes were almost swollen shut for Game 5. It's good to get that one out of the way. I was looking for it all summer."

In fact, the two began chirping as they stretched before the game. "I couldn't hear him," Boogaard said. "The music was too loud."

Later in the same period, Anaheim's Todd Fedoruk challenged Boogaard, who gladly accepted for his second fight. He again came out on top.

"Anytime you've got two guys on a team that'll fight and one guy loses or gets beat up, the other guy will come in," Boogaard said. "I have no problem with that. Just another fight."

Boogaard logged four shifts in the period totaling 51 seconds. Two of the shifts were coming out of the box.

what's wrong with it? well....it's stupid. that's all.

Old
10-18-2005, 11:47 AM
The Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
Wrong Big E - Moose was with the team from season 1 - the Wild swapped Jeff Odgers to Atlanta for him right after the expansion draft.
Yup. My bad. Memory usually fails me.

The Big E

Old
10-18-2005, 12:32 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

*Shrugs* Not really but then again, it's your opinion...

Old
10-18-2005, 01:10 PM
hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by #16
Brennan got absolutely killed by Boogieman. I don't remember Johnson whooping *** in such convincing fashion to be honest, most of his fights were hugfests. Second fight was a draw, I would give slight advantage to Fedoruk actually- Derek started very strong, but quickly ran out of gas. In any case, way to go Boogie!

yeah just forget how Matt Johnson destroyed Andrew Peters and George Laraque last year, and how he was one of the most dominant fighters in the NHL in 03-04 season.

Old
10-18-2005, 01:17 PM
mnhockeyfan

Watch the college game and you will find more cheap shots and stick work than anywhere. Why you ask? Because there are no enforcers to let players know that it will not be tolerated. FIGHTING IS A PART OF THE GAME. ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE. Look at how bad baseball screwed up by getting so tight with the hit batter suspensions. Quit trying to refine the game so much.

Old
10-18-2005, 02:53 PM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet
star tribune

Boogaard wanted to fight Brennan since the first round of April's American Hockey League Calder Cup playoffs. Playing for Houston, Boogaard said he was "eye-gouged" by Brennan, who was playing for Chicago.

"My sight was messed up for a bit," Boogaard, 23, said. "My eyes were almost swollen shut for Game 5. It's good to get that one out of the way. I was looking for it all summer."

In fact, the two began chirping as they stretched before the game. "I couldn't hear him," Boogaard said. "The music was too loud."

Later in the same period, Anaheim's Todd Fedoruk challenged Boogaard, who gladly accepted for his second fight. He again came out on top.

"Anytime you've got two guys on a team that'll fight and one guy loses or gets beat up, the other guy will come in," Boogaard said. "I have no problem with that. Just another fight."

Boogaard logged four shifts in the period totaling 51 seconds. Two of the shifts were coming out of the box.

what's wrong with it? well....it's stupid. that's all.
All this says is Boogaard wanted to fight him. Is that surprising? It doesn't say anything about Boogaard chasing him down and forcing him to fight, or even going out of his way to fight him. Heavies fight each other. It's often silly. That's the way it is, I guess.

Old
10-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Sherlock

Send a message via AIM to Sherlock
Now we can add a goal to that. He logged almost ten minutes tonight too. Not bad ... not bad at all!

Old
10-19-2005, 10:22 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock
Now we can add a goal to that. He logged almost ten minutes tonight too. Not bad ... not bad at all!

and he leveled nabakov

Old
10-19-2005, 10:25 PM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock
My bold prediction that Boogie will get a Gordie Howe hat-trick some time this season doesn't look so bold anymore. It could happen

Closed Thread