HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TEAM990: McKenzie say most likely no suspension for Malone (official: no suspension)

Old
10-03-2011, 01:06 PM
TheBuriedHab

vCash: 500
yeah I called it. Thought Campoli hunched over just before the hit came. Unfortunate yes, but was it malicious, i dont think so.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:08 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
yeah I called it. Thought Campoli hunched over just before the hit came. Unfortunate yes, but was it malicious, i dont think so.
I think malone's antics prove it was malicious. He wanted to do harm, and ignored the puck. He just managed to get off on a technicality.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:11 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
On a side note, those habs conspiracy theories are just embarrassing.
I agree with this, but I can't really find a logical explanation as to why this was not worthy of a few games.

In his video of legal hits they all had some head contact, but they were not the primary point of contact, I agree with those being legal, however, in this case, the head was most definitely the primary point of contact, his skate lifted off the ice and lifted his entire shoulder into the head, it actually looks like he made every effort to avoid full body contact. Had his feet stayed planted he may have hit his chest as well and therefore the no suspension would make sense, but this one is puzzling.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Protest the Hero

I don't get the argument that Campoli ducked into the hit.

He loses control of the puck a full second before the hit and reaches out for it before Malone can steal it. Of course Malone just ignores the puck as it slides past him and delivers a hit where the head is the principal point of contact. There I just wrote Shanahan's script for him.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I agree with this, but I can't really find a logical explanation as to why this was not worthy of a few games.

In his video of legal hits they all had some head contact, but they were not the primary point of contact, I agree with those being legal, however, in this case, the head was most definitely the primary point of contact, his skate lifted off the ice and lifted his entire shoulder into the head, it actually looks like he made every effort to avoid full body contact. Had his feet stayed planted he may have hit his chest as well and therefore the no suspension would make sense, but this one is puzzling.
Here's your most likely explanation.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...945/story.html

You can bet there are plenty more who didn't like what Shanny was doing and just didn't want to speak up publicly.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:29 PM
habitue*

Quote:
On a side note, those habs conspiracy theories are just embarrassing.
Embarrassing for whom ? For you ?

Just look at the facts and tell me that the Canadiens are respected since the Chara incident., and even the game before in Boston when Campbell beat up Pyatt using his elbow pads... + the Ference on halpern dirty hit.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:36 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Here's your most likely explanation.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...945/story.html

You can bet there are plenty more who didn't like what Shanny was doing and just didn't want to speak up publicly.
Easy for Brodeur to say when his head is not one that is typically targeted.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:43 PM
SB164

“We felt that this hit was the most challenging one so far in this preseason for the Department of Player Safety to evaluate,” said Shanahan. “In the end, we felt that Malone had committed to the hit when Campoli was upright. However, when the contact was made, Campoli's head position significantly changed just prior to the hit.

"There are elements about the hit that we don't like – specifically, the principal point of contact being the head and that it was not a full-body check. But the overriding factor in our judgment was that Campoli's loss of the puck and subsequent bending forward for it just prior contributed significantly, if not entirely, to those elements."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=590940

SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:45 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
“We felt that this hit was the most challenging one so far in this preseason for the Department of Player Safety to evaluate,” said Shanahan. “In the end, we felt that Malone had committed to the hit when Campoli was upright. However, when the contact was made, Campoli's head position significantly changed just prior to the hit.

"There are elements about the hit that we don't like – specifically, the principal point of contact being the head and that it was not a full-body check. But the overriding factor in our judgment was that Campoli's loss of the puck and subsequent bending forward for it just prior contributed significantly, if not entirely, to those elements."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=590940
Hopefully he remembers this explanation for future hits to the head.... That,s a "good" one. LOL

Last edited by habitue*: 10-03-2011 at 02:04 PM.
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:47 PM
MathMan

Well, at least they released a statement.

It's clear that the head was the principal point of contact, but I don't agree that the vulnerable position was "immediately prior".

Really worrying that we're back to looking for reasons not to suspend people as a way to backslide without seeming to, especially by putting the blame right back on the victim once again. Turns out the NHL is not all that serious about head shots after all.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:52 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Well, at least they released a statement.

It's clear that the head was the principal point of contact, but I don't agree that the vulnerable position was "immediately prior".

Really worrying that we're back to looking for reasons not to suspend people as a way to backslide without seeming to, especially by putting the blame right back on the victim once again. Turns out the NHL is not all that serious about head shots after all.
Pretty much this. I see where Shanahan's coming and I don't agree, but that's life. And I definitely agree with your last paragraph.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Sergei Goldenhands
Used Registerer

Looks like Yzerman had a little discussion with his good friend Shanahan.

Seriously, I cant understand this decision.

Sergei Goldenhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Embarrassing for whom ? For you ?

Just look at the facts and tell me that the Canadiens are respected since the Chara incident., and even the game before in Boston when Campbell beat up Pyatt using his elbow pads... + the Ference on halpern dirty hit.
embarrassing for habs fans in general that some are even remotely thinking there is some sort of secret internal movement to not punish infractions against players of the Montreal Canadiens. For no apparent reason on top of it.
The chara hit was unprecedented, nothing was every done like that. Not to mention Campbell didnt punish Mike Richards, Cooke, etc for hits that devastated player`s careers. Not saying Campbell made the right calls, because he was clearly out to lunch, but alot of teams have their own beef with the way he handed down justice.

Lets all take a deep breathe here. We dont need to set off alarms everytime we dont get a ruling in our favor. It has to do with Shanahan making a questionable decision, not the sweater of the player in question.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:24 PM
RC51

once upon a time I heard that Shanahan did NOT sign with the Habs because his wife hated Montreal. Are we re-living this wife thing all over again??
"to hell with Habs and montreal I hate them" ( wife)
WHo is this woman? what did quebec ever do to HER? or is she just a red neck anti Canadain woman.???
I don't know do YOU?

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:24 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
The chara hit was unprecedented, nothing was every done like that.
Minor point, but do you mean a player guiding/pushing/shoving another player without the puck into the glass around the benches?

Because if so, then here is one that comes to my mind immediately and there are probably a few more examples out there:

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:28 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Chara... Ference... Malone... Who's next? I'll give it a try --> Komisarek

Last edited by PhysicX: 10-03-2011 at 02:38 PM.
PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:34 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

This league just became a joke once again.
It was fun while it lasted I guess.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:35 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldies View Post
This league just became a joke once again.
It was fun while it lasted I guess.
Two weeks of fun! Yay!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:45 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Easy for Brodeur to say when his head is not one that is typically targeted.
Yes but if you touch Brodeur he flop like a fish looking for a penalty call

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Chili

Notice the word "We" in the statement.

I doubt this is Shanahan's decision, it sounds like it's coming from farther up the line. (i.e. why did it take so long?).

Not to mention he probably heard about it for suspending one of Burke's players last week.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:52 PM
NHLFutureGuy3

Ok I'm going to have to disagree with all of you. I know, I know you are all going to crap all over me for this but hear me out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp4UxGZaz-Q

If you look at 0:43, you can see that if Campoli doesn't stick his head out, and if Malone continues on his same path, there's a good chance Campoli doesn't get hit by Malone's shoulder.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that we are asking too much from Malone to change his trajectory in that split second that he sees Campoli's head sticking out.

Ok, flame away.

Last edited by NHLFutureGuy3: 10-03-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Youtube embed not working
NHLFutureGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HomaridII

BTW Team 990 is no longer called that, it is now TSN Radio 990 as per Bobby Mac

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Notice the word "We" in the statement.

I doubt this is Shanahan's decision, it sounds like it's coming from farther up the line. (i.e. why did it take so long?).

Not to mention he probably heard about it for suspending one of Burke's players last week.
I noticed that too. He changed his wording from "I" to "We" at some point halfway through the preseason suspension videos.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Stan Lee Coupe

Quote:
embarrassing for habs fans in general that some are even remotely thinking there is some sort of secret internal movement to not punish infractions against players of the Montreal Canadiens. For no apparent reason on top of it.
The chara hit was unprecedented, nothing was every done like that. Not to mention Campbell didnt punish Mike Richards, Cooke, etc for hits that devastated player`s careers. Not saying Campbell made the right calls, because he was clearly out to lunch, but alot of teams have their own beef with the way he handed down justice.

Lets all take a deep breathe here. We dont need to set off alarms everytime we dont get a ruling in our favor. It has to do with Shanahan making a questionable decision, not the sweater of the player in question.
I agree you about who is wearing the sweater or what sweater, it is doesn't matter. Shanahan is right when it comes to the video that he and Mathieu Schneider gave out at training camp to all players. Campoli put himself in a vulnerable position just prior to the hit and Malone committed to the check but the problem with Shanahan's answer is that when Campoli reached for the puck he moved down and to his right. If Malone was committed to his check where he was trying for his principal target the body of Campoli then then reach forward by Campoli should have caused Malone to hit the middle to hip of Campoli not off the edge of his shoulder into the head. Therefore Malone's principal target was never the body but Campoli's head after he saw him reach for the puck. It deserves a three to five game suspension in my opinion. I have watched the hit over and over again, slo-mo and then real time before stating my opinion. Shanahan is right, it was very difficult to decide on. I have played, coached and refereed the game for 30+year at Elite levels so I have a good idea the capabilities of the NHL players and the refereeing insight to agree with the call on the ice by the Referee which was a 5 minute major for a illegal check to the head, a 5 minute major for fighting and a game misconduct. The referee had the best angle on the play to see Malone's intended target on the hits and made the proper call. I hope Shanahan spoke to the referee before making his decision.

The biggest difficulty I have with this targeting the head issue is:
When checking a player, the intention is to take the middle of the torso because it must go where the player goes and can't move around like other parts of the body. Why then can't the NHL players who are capable of shooting puck though a tiny hole or skate through a small gap between the defensemen not able to make a bodycheck on the biggest part of the body? I think they can and they are fast enough with good control over their bodies to adjust their skates ever so slightly to be able in a split second hit the head to the opposing player. That takes pretty good aim at high speed but definitely capable of that kind of hit.

There is going to have to be a change in mentality amongst NHL, AHL, CHL, NCAA towards hitting down and through the torso not up into the head or upper body before the headshots will disappear for good. Shanahan must continue to keep that line drawn in the sand so the players know where they stand, no matter who is making the hit, superstar or 4th line role player. They have to all be treated equally in all cases of discipline.

GO HABS GO

Stan Lee Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:05 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Interesting to see what happens when Yemelin spills someone's brains all over the ice with one of his "dirty-clean" hits.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote