HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ken Dryden: Time for the NHL to get head smart

Old
10-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Chili

vCash: 500
Ken Dryden: Time for the NHL to get head smart

link

Quote:
For Bettman, it's time to say: This is a great game, but it has a big problem, one that will only get worse if we don't do what needs to be done now. Our players will not get smaller, they will not skate slower, the force of their collisions will not diminish. The equipment they wear will not improve fast enough to mitigate the greater risks they will face. "Tweaking" is not the answer.
As I've said many times, I wish Ken Dryden was the commisioner of the NHL. Check out the well written piece above.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Habbadasher

The NHL is run by a bunch of dinosaurs, but things are improving, witness Brendan Shanahan.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Coldplay
Courage

I saw Ken speak at Concordia's homecoming a few weeks back. He touched upon this subject, and he was inspiring.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Habs

Wait, it's just the time now? The NHL is a joke, they should have implemented head shot standards 25 years ago.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 12:49 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbadasher View Post
The NHL is run by a bunch of dinosaurs, but things are improving, witness Brendan Shanahan.
yeah.

How come is it so hard to implement simple rules as the No-touch icing and the automatic ejection from the game if you fight ?

Get rid of the stupid zones behind the goal line where goalies are not allowed to go.

Make the protective equipment (especially upper body elbow and shoulder ) less rigid and lethal for opponents.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
How has it improved? We will see how things change, it is still too early, but I still see weak suspensions being handed out.
5-10 games should not be the standard. The day I will see players get suspended for 20+games then i will feel they really are trying.
That and fine the organization., a big fine.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Chili

Quote:
I do believe Shanahan has good intentions but the league is still run by someone who was 'extremely comfortable' to do nothing at all about the Chara hit.

I believe the only reason they have moved at all is for the fear of outside pressure (i.e. governments, lawsuits).

The NHL sets a standard for all of hockey, I'd like to see it place a higher priority on safety for the good of all playing the game.

Bettman needs to be called out on safety, I'm glad someone like Ken Dryden is doing it.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

I find it hilarious that people say all of this stuff about head shots have to be out of the game, but yet nobody does anything and takes a stand. Personally I think there is no way you can take head shots out of the game, unless you take hits out all together which would be awful. The game is too fast to change much. I am so tired of hearing about all of this. Yes you can seriously punish the blatant head shots but the clarke macarthur hit was a joke. The NHL is so lost on all of this. WAKE UP NHL (courtasy of Jeremy Roenick)

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
I find it hilarious that people say all of this stuff about head shots have to be out of the game, but yet nobody does anything and takes a stand. Personally I think there is no way you can take head shots out of the game, unless you take hits out all together which would be awful. The game is too fast to change much. I am so tired of hearing about all of this. Yes you can seriously punish the blatant head shots but the clarke macarthur hit was a joke. The NHL is so lost on all of this. WAKE UP NHL (courtasy of Jeremy Roenick)
Thank the media for this.. All a media storm requires is 3-4 people who have a really strong opinion and then it spreads like cancer. You get polarized opinions, those for/against, then new splintering opinions..

really.. people are just obsessed with their opinions these days.. its all good to respect each other and have an idea about something, but really, this cherishing of opinions and protection of them like they are our children is the problem... because we end up doing nothing about the real problems.. we just end up talking about how to fix it.. we don't actually do anything.. we just talk..

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

That article did nothing for me. Ken Dryden was a goaltender. Enough said.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Hemlor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalott613 View Post
That article did nothing for me. Ken Dryden was a goaltender. Enough said.
And the relevance of that is what? Would it have done something for you if Eric Lindros would have written it in crayon with the one neuron he has left that is still firing?

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
And the relevance of that is what? Would it have done something for you if Eric Lindros would have written it in crayon with the one neuron he has left that is still firing?
What ever Lindros would write would be more legit than this drivel.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:05 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalott613 View Post
What ever Lindros would write would be more legit than this drivel.
Are you even sure Lindros knows how to write,he can't speak a word of French in a Bilingual country.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:25 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Dryden has always been a wuss. That's why he couldn't make it as a GM or a politician.

And ever since the Habs beat the Flyers he started thinking higher of himself to incredible proportions.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:38 AM
habsjunkie2*

So, who do we believe the dinosaur from 40 years ago, or Martin Brodeur from today. I don't value this write up much or Marty's for that matter. Dryden is entitled to his opinion though.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:53 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
link

As I've said many times, I wish Ken Dryden was the commisioner of the NHL. Check out the well written piece above.
I was watching CBC's the National tonight and they did a piece on this. Wasn't just head shots they were talking about taking fighting out of the game. So many ex-NHLers have brain damage from repetetive blows to the head. Many are suffering from depression, dementia, voilent mood swings, etc...

Athletes today aren't like they were back in the '60s or '70s. They are faster, stronger, the human brain can't withstand blows from these kind of athletes.

There was a research firm from Boston showing slices of the brain of dead hockey players compared to normal brains of same age. It was scary, the way they talk Shanahan wasn't doing enough to curve this problem. Up until 3 and a half years ago nobody suspect there was a problem. What we seen this summer we will see more of over next few years until the game fixes the problems

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
I was watching CBC's the National tonight and they did a piece on this. Wasn't just head shots they were talking about taking fighting out of the game. So many ex-NHLers have brain damage from repetetive blows to the head. Many are suffering from depression, dementia, voilent mood swings, etc...

Athletes today aren't like they were back in the '60s or '70s. They are faster, stronger, the human brain can't withstand blows from these kind of athletes.

There was a research firm from Boston showing slices of the brain of dead hockey players compared to normal brains of same age. It was scary, the way they talk Shanahan wasn't doing enough to curve this problem. Up until 3 and a half years ago nobody suspect there was a problem. What we seen this summer we will see more of over next few years until the game fixes the problems
The Richard Martin results came out yesterday and they have put in a scare to anyone who has ever suffered a concussion, like Sidney Crosby and everyone else.

They're finally going to build a new Champlain bridge so maybe the attitude will change here too as more and more information is released.

Old
10-06-2011, 12:50 PM
habitue*

Quote:

+ they have better, harder equipment and are less respectful of other individuals.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 02:45 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

Sometime it almost feels like these guys shouldn't play on the ice because of their speed and strength. Or just bring back hooking to slow the game down.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 07:02 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Anybody see the Asham fight the other night? Text book examples how NHLers are are suffereing brain injuries. The game is going to have to change in near future, fighting and all head shots have to be on way out. Hockey athletes aren't like they were years ago.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 10:11 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
+ they have better, harder equipment and are less respectful of other individuals.
This is very true...these guys are feeling like gladiators in armour, and feel they can't get hurt...but boy they sure can dish it out...

Everyone has an opinion, and this is an issue that isn't going to go away, and it was brought to a head, because the best player in the game received a headshot...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote