HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

TEAM990: McKenzie say most likely no suspension for Malone (official: no suspension)

Old
10-03-2011, 03:06 PM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Well, at least they released a statement.

It's clear that the head was the principal point of contact, but I don't agree that the vulnerable position was "immediately prior".

Really worrying that we're back to looking for reasons not to suspend people as a way to backslide without seeming to, especially by putting the blame right back on the victim once again. Turns out the NHL is not all that serious about head shots after all.
If he found the decision so tough, which I agree it was certainly tougher than others, you have to side with the player being hit in this instance, why does the hitter get the benefit of the doubt and the player being hit doesn't. If player safety is the number one priority these borderline calls should be ruled in favor of the player being targeted, not the other way around.

I would also like to add that this explanation is in contrast to the video explanations released in the first place. They all referenced the head being hit, but not being the principal point of contact, I don't remember seeing a video where the head being the principal point of contact was ever deemed legal.

All the sudden the video releases are a work in progress and the NHL safety committee can adjust the meaning of them as times goes on, I think he made the wrong decision here big time.

Last edited by habsjunkie2*: 10-03-2011 at 03:12 PM.
habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
If he found the decision so tough, which I agree it was certainly tougher than others, you have to side with the player being hit in this instance, why does the hitter get the benefit of the doubt and the player being hit doesn't. If player safety is the number one priority these borderline calls should be ruled in favor of the player being targeted, not the other way around.
Well said. With this its almost like they acknowleged that vulnerability trumps recklessness. Doesn't send a good message.

I wouldn't have called for a suspension if Malone had held up, but he didn't and what he tried to was sufficiently evident. Not 100% clear, but clear enough IMO.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Clarke MacArthur gets suspended for hardly anything and Malone gets nothing.. what a joke the NHL is. Malone clearly singled out Campoli and yes Chris leaned down at the last second, but Malone clearly went after him because he's a thug and a baby because they were losing. He went for a clean body check, was going to miss him and when Campoli leaned down he stuck his shoulder/elbow out.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:14 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
“We felt that this hit was the most challenging one so far in this preseason for the Department of Player Safety to evaluate,” said Shanahan. “In the end, we felt that Malone had committed to the hit when Campoli was upright. However, when the contact was made, Campoli's head position significantly changed just prior to the hit.

"There are elements about the hit that we don't like – specifically, the principal point of contact being the head and that it was not a full-body check. But the overriding factor in our judgment was that Campoli's loss of the puck and subsequent bending forward for it just prior contributed significantly, if not entirely, to those elements."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=590940
In other words ''I am Steve Yzerman's friend. Can't suspend Malone.''

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
In other words ''I am Steve Yzerman's friend. Can't suspend Malone.''
if you believe that or if anyone believes that then stop watching hockey

Old
Habsawce

vCash: 50
The thing I don't really understand is how premeditation came into play with the Wisniewski hit, as he clearly stated. Yet, Malone's recklessness and antics all game leading up to the hit doesn't factor in.

I realize he's trying and I'm willing to give Shanny the benefit of the doubt but I just wish things were more consistent.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
Nah. I like hockey. But the NHL is a joke.

Suspend all head shots regardless of what happened. Blaming the player who got it is ridiculous. NHL are now finding ways not to suspend players. It's disgusting.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:16 PM
OneSharpMarble

All these stupid little mitigating factors make the league look like a joke. If they really gave a **** about players there would be no excuses to the headshot rules. They really don't care if players are hurt as long as they can nitpick their way out of it. What a joke.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

oh come on this has nothing to do with Yzerman being friends with Shanahan. Shanny is trying to lay the law down and be professional. It was not a suspendable hit plain and simple.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:20 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Is it that out of the ordinary when the best friend of a player's dad is the head of discipline for the Stanley Cup Final?

When his logic for suspending Rome was ''Illegal play that caused severe injury'' YET Chara's ILLEGAL interference CAUSED SEVERE INJURY got nothing.

Bush league.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:21 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Hitting a Montreal Canadiens player in the head is not a suspendable offense, see: Zdeno Chara v. Max Pacioretty and Andrew Ference v. Jeff Halpern.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Protest the Hero

It's nice to hear Shanahan actually acknowledged the fact that Campoli was reaching for the puck, but I'm still not sure how long "just prior" counts as.

He still didn't mention Malone being agitated the entire night prior to the hit. Hopefully he actually talked to him and told him to stop being such an *******.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Is it that out of the ordinary when the best friend of a player's dad is the head of discipline for the Stanley Cup Final?

When his logic for suspending Rome was ''Illegal play that caused severe injury'' YET Chara's ILLEGAL interference CAUSED SEVERE INJURY got nothing.

Bush league.
I completely agree with that, but I really doubt shanny is like that. Its like someone just starting their job and making a bad impression instantly. Shanny is not like that I would bet on it

Old
10-03-2011, 03:24 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
I completely agree with that, but Shanahan I really doubt shanny is like that. Its like someone just starting their job and making a bad impression instantly. Shanny is not like that I would bet on it
Shanahan is a great person but he is still surrounded by the same people that surrounded Campbell and Murphy. He will get GM pressure and peer pressure. This is more generalized than we think.

MAJOR cleanup needs to happen before anything changes.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Shanahan is a great person but he is still surrounded by the same people that surrounded Campbell and Murphy. He will get GM pressure and peer pressure. This is more generalized than we think.

MAJOR cleanup needs to happen before anything changes.
have you worked for the NHL?..How do you know how all of this works? Shanahan does not have to listen to anyone but himself. What are they going to fire him for not conspiring?

Old
10-03-2011, 03:29 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
have you worked for the NHL?..How do you know how all of this works? Shanahan does not have to listen to anyone but himself. What are they going to fire him for not conspiring?
lol yes he does. He has bosses and the boss will dictate his job. Simple as that. You think he has ''carte blanche'' to suspend?

Old
10-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
lol yes he does. He has bosses and the boss will dictate his job. Simple as that. You think he has ''carte blanche'' to suspend?
He has bosses yes and they can give their opinion, but shanahan has the final word plain and simple. ITS NOT A CONSPIRACY

Old
10-03-2011, 03:34 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
He has bosses yes and they can give their opinion, but shanahan has the final word plain and simple. ITS NOT A CONSPIRACY
Not a conspiracy but it is a ****ed up system. Also, Bettman has the last word.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:37 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Let's not forget that Ryan Malone went all "Zdeno Chara" after the incident saying sorry and how it's not what he intended to do.

Yemelin should go two-hand slash Stamkos in the back of the knee and then claim he was trying to hack at the puck, it was just an accident and not what he intended to do. Apologies and excuses seem to go far in the suspension deliberation process.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I don't get it.

This hit is the same as the Callahan -Nielson hit he has in his video explaining what is illegal now.

I figured a game for Malone, but he gets nothing and MacArthur gets 2 games ? Really ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post

Check 0:43.

Vulnerable player? Check.
Could have played the puck? Check.
Targets the head? Check.
Follows through and delivers a blow to the head? Check.

How is this not a suspension? Everything Shanahan has been talking about is on display here. He says "the game is still about the puck". Everything else is obvious. WTF.
No suspension is BS. I looked at the play again.. Apparently Campoli moved his position to put his head in danger at the last second.. If you look at the video, first off, Campoli's body position didn't change after he skated into the faceoff circle and was hit in the middle of it.. He was obviously reaching out for the puck.. And second Malone skated right past the puck to hit Campoli. The ****ing puck passed right by his stick blade and in between his legs. Malone had one thought and it was to lay out Campoli.. It remind me of when Kovalev plowed into Tucker to teach him not to hit players in the face but Kovalev never hit his head. But Malone knew he would hit his head and never held back.. Instead he leaned into it. Sure the elbow never came out, but he didn't have to put his elbow out when someone's head is low..

BS.. Shanny is probably helping his buddy Yzerman Stupid friends league.. If it's not Boston, it's Tampa Bay. Might as well get Dryden to become the new Commissioner..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Evil Ted

Just the way Malone explodes towards the head of the player being hit, the intent to hit the player in the head was there. Politics of the NHL if Campoli plays for the Redwings Malone is probably suspend.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 04:04 PM
le_sean

I don't get it. He had the hit lined up before Campoli put himself in that position? So I guess he originally dropped his shoulder that low to hit his stomach? Because that's where his head was.

But what do you expect Shanahan to do? Side with Gauthier or side with longtime teammate Yzerman? Just like Murphy and Campbell.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 04:07 PM
HabbyGilmore
Best man for the job

Send a message via MSN to HabbyGilmore
the whole thing is BS its the Chara hit all over again.. arrest Malone!.. sorry just kidding.. it is BS though.

HabbyGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 04:10 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
But what do you expect Shanahan to do? Side with Gauthier or side with longtime teammate Yzerman? Just like Murphy and Campbell.
He should be a man and do his job, and do what's right. I've lost faith in Shanny already...

hogtownhabsfan is online now   Reply With Quote