HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mark Fraser on waivers

Old
10-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Mark Fraser on waivers

Mark Fraser on waivers do the Rangers take a shot on the kid? he is very young and green but has a ton of raw talent, he is a pet project of Lou's but has to much muscle for the team to take a chance with Cam and Boulton in the line up. He is on a small contract and a step up from Bickel

Dagoon44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:57 AM
NYR Viper

I wouldnt mind him, but I think the Rangers really like Bickel.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Anyone is really an upgrade over Bickel. The 3rd pair of ours is going to see less then 8 minutes a game until Staal and Sauer are back.

Problem is what do we do with Fraser when Sauer and Staal are back?

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I take a shot at him. Kid's got moxy!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I'd claim him. Surprised they'd waive him. He's a solid bottom pairing guy, if nothing else.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Don't know much about him, but Devils fans seem to think Fraser stinks. One claimed he looks nervous and shakey every time he touches the puck.

So what does this kid bring to the table? I see he's big, looks like a strong kid. Can he skate? Can he play defense? Can he hit? Is he willing to hit?

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:41 PM
JeffMangum
Herrrooooiiinnnn

vCash: 300
Terrible player, there's no need for him with Eminger and Bell here. He's a joke on the Devils board (although, nearly everything is made into a joke there ).

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Terrible player, there's no need for him with Eminger and Bell here. He's a joke on the Devils board (although, nearly everything is made into a joke there ).
he is far from the joke you are making him out to be. He is a tough kid with a great upside. Emminger and Bickel are far from better then he is.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
he is far from the joke you are making him out to be. He is a tough kid with a great upside. Emminger and Bickel are far from better then he is.
I haven't seen enough of him to say whether he's better or worse than Eminger, but Eminger is ten times the defenseman that Bickel is.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

What do you mean by "raw" tools? I've never heard anyone say that Fraser has those lol

He's a decent 7 guy that can step in for a few games on the bottom pairing. Tough but pretty disciplined. Good kid.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Dagoon44

He is a left handed shot with a mean streak and will drop his gloves with anyone but not a heavy. Sam Rosen loves his game as he stated a few times during thing this pre season but Sam is Sam. Fraser is a old school crease clearing defenseman that is ok in his own zone not much offense but with the right coaching he can be a very solid 5/6 in the nhl

Old
10-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Right, but by "raw" skills people usually refer to strong offensive abilities or some sort of really special skill that just needs some rounding out. Fraser has none of this.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 04:42 PM
SML

Why do people here always think the players other teams put on waivers are that much better than the ones we have to put on waivers? The guy can't crack the Devils. Not the Stevens/Niedermayer/Daneyko/Rafalski Devils. These Devils. Is the guy better than Bell/Bickel/Eminger?

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
Right, but by "raw" skills people usually refer to strong offensive abilities or some sort of really special skill that just needs some rounding out. Fraser has none of this.
His massive upside is Jason Strudwick.

Just because a kid has a mean streak doesn't mean that he is a good NHL defenseman. ****ssakes.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:12 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

who? never heard of him. if he's on waivers, what does that say about his level of play?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I think to put it simple. He is something the Rangers don't have on the current roster. He's fierce and he's physical. So, while your Sauer could be argued that he is a physical guy, there isn't another defenseman on the roster currently that chip on his shoulder.

So, if he was claimed is he going to get beat on plays? Yep
Is he going to cough up pucks? Yep
Is he going to make mistakes? Yep

Just like the current guys on the roster do. And if...IF he was acquired it would probably take some time to make the adjustment to this system.

But the positives would be.
1) He's still young 26 years old I believe.
2) He's tough
3) He's a cheap date $550K Cap hit.
4) He adds a physical presence to an otherwise mediocre defense strictly in terms of toughness.
5) He's 6'3 220lbs

Would rather see a Carkner here but I wouldn be at all dissapointed if he was claimed.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
LH, you basically just described Stu Bickel.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
His massive upside is Jason Strudwick.

Just because a kid has a mean streak doesn't mean that he is a good NHL defenseman. ****ssakes.
Great and classy response as always.. he is far better then struds already and with a euro style coach who wants all puck moving d he didn't fit his plans didn't mean he couldn't be valuable to us.. Lion nice post and thanks for being positive and showing a open mind

Old
10-03-2011, 05:51 PM
JeffMangum
Herrrooooiiinnnn

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Great and classy response as always.. he is far better then struds already and with a euro style coach who wants all puck moving d he didn't fit his plans didn't mean he couldn't be valuable to us.. Lion nice post and thanks for being positive and showing a open mind
Euro style coach? Who? Lemaire/MacLean certainly aren't "Euro-style coaches". I don't even know exactly what that means, but I'd suspect it means a puck-moving, skating game.

Regardless of coaching style, Fraser is, simply, not an NHLer. Awful positionally, no semblance of offensive skill, and is a turnover machine. He can't even crack the Devils defense, one of the worst bluelines in the league. What is he going to accomplish for the Rangers?

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Dagoon44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Euro style coach? Who? Lemaire/MacLean certainly aren't "Euro-style coaches". I don't even know exactly what that means, but I'd suspect it means a puck-moving, skating game.

Regardless of coaching style, Fraser is, simply, not an AHLer. Awful positionally, no semblance of offensive skill, and is a turnover machine. He can't even crack the Devils defense, one of the worst bluelines in the league. What is he going to accomplish for the Rangers?
I agree he isn't a Ahler as u put ,, wow i guess he is no Bickel I love how Bell is better also sorry guys didn't mean to offend the key board mafia with a suggestion

Old
10-03-2011, 06:16 PM
eco's bones

Kind of on the fence on this one. Staal and Sauer being out changes the whole dynamic. Not sure whether Bickel has what it takes but judging what he does on larger ice surfaces with smaller, speedy and skilled European players loses something in translation when the games that count are going to be played on NHL regulation ice surfaces. Not sure that Martin would or would not be an improvement.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Surprised they waived him. It's a no-brainer, imo. By no means is he a good or great player, but he's serviceable, young, and inexpensive. He's exactly what we should be targetting with Staal/Sauer temporarily out. Sure as heck beats moving some of our assets for short-term help.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 07:01 PM
SML

This team is building something. Chemistry. Its built by letting guys stay together and bond. Bickel has been there since day one and busted his hump. Why bring in a new guy for the sake of a new guy? I'm not trying to say Bickel is the next big thing, but were talking about one waiver quality guy for another. Its a lateral move. I don't see the point. Stay loyal to your guys, its one thing if the new player is more skilled, saves money, or brings experience. But the improvements are miniscule, IMO. Keep Bickel.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote