HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Melrose on the Rangers

Old
10-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Come on, you have to look at this objectively: this team does throw money at problems. We needed centers a few years ago so we signed Gomez and Drury. We needed an offensive defenseman so we signed Redden. We needed an elite scorer so we signed Gaborik. And finally, we needed a top center (again) and we signed Richards. To say we don't throw money at problems is homer-ish.

But on the other hand we are not the only team that does this, and to say we are is asinine.
Melrose is playing up an antiquated charaterization the Rangers organization. It was true for many years.

But for the last 8 years or so, the Rangers have been working hard to improve their scouting, improve their drafting, improve their development system/farm system; and using their kids to create this team's identity. They have been drafting better, nurturing and grooming their kids and developing into real NHL players.

Of course they have gone out and signed Free Agents to try and improve their offensive attack. They have no choice. They hardly ever draft anywhere close to the top three to five picks in the draft.

Just about every team in this league does the same thing. Melrose's comment is pointless and moot. In this day and age, most teams in the league have to find offensive talent through free agency or trades. And just about every team in this league has failures ........flops with some of their Free Agents gambles and draft picks.

Notice no one ever spend much time talking about the Flops the Devils, Flyers, Islanders .......etc have turned out. Yet, they all do. It's just always popular and envogue for these people to harp on the Rangers and constantly point out the failures of the big media attention New York Rangers.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:11 PM
ThisYearsModel

Melrose is one of the many good reasons why we are all better off the
At hockey is no longer on ESPN. Gary Thorne is another.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Melrose is one of the many good reasons why we are all better off the
At hockey is no longer on ESPN. Gary Thorne is another.
Gary Thorne's the ****ing man when it comes to calling a game.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:35 PM
ruckus*

I like Melrose kinda but why do people care about other people's opinions?

The most annoying thing about sports is how anytime someone says something negative about Team X, then Team X's team overreacts and flips out and acts like that person is the scum of the earth.

Who cares what Melrose says.

Remember, he did all remind you to watch your wallets when going to the Rock. We can thank him for that.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 06:58 PM
SouvenirCity

You can't take Melrose seriously, as he's nothing more than a name at this point. Every-time I hear Melrose's name, I always think of that press conference with Tampa where he said he was done with the media, and wanted to forget the game and go smoke a cigar. I think he was fired 3 or 4 days later.

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He's always been overly optimistic about the Rangers. I don't know what Pizza is talking about.
I don't think I'm being selective, honestly. Over the years I have heard more negative, if not out right put downs of the Rangers than I could possibly count.

I think I'm fairly even handed when it comes to getting a take on someone. With Melrose there is no doubt about what I've heard from him or how badly he wanted consideration for the Rangers coaching job. It's just a matter of record.

If he's changed his tune recently, great. Maybe he's finally gotten over the snub he perceived years ago.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 07:58 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I don't think I'm being selective, honestly. Over the years I have heard more negative, if not out right put downs of the Rangers than I could possibly count.

I think I'm fairly even handed when it comes to getting a take on someone. With Melrose there is no doubt about what I've heard from him or how badly he wanted consideration for the Rangers coaching job. It's just a matter of record.

If he's changed his tune recently, great. Maybe he's finally gotten over the snub he perceived years ago.
That's just the thing though, I haven't followed him the past few years, but I'm recalling the previous years . He always picked the Rangers to finish near the top of the conference, even when we weren't making the playoffs.

One of us is remembering things completely wrong. And I'm too lazy to find out who it is.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:01 PM
SRTtoZ

Not sure what to think...He sat down with Torts for an interview before our Preseason game with Philly and said he thinks we made that step where we will be a 3-4-5 seed instead of a 7-8-9.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:13 PM
OverTheCap

I always thought Barnaby was far more critical of the Rangers than Melrose. He played here during the Dark Years and I think it may have clouded his judgment when it comes to the Rangers.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

If the people that counted respected Melorose's opinions, he'd still be in the NHL.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:00 PM
SRTtoZ

Melrose has to have the best coaching comeback Ive ever seen though. BEST EVAR.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:06 PM
ruckus*

I still like Barry.

Old
10-03-2011, 09:07 PM
ruckus*

Old
10-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I read both articles. Melrose later goes on to say complimentary things about the Rangers in the first article:

What he said about the team throwing money at its problem is not a false statement. It's the harsh reality of what Sather has done during most of his time here. A bit of a dig, I guess, but until the Rangers start making noise in the playoffs, the critics are going to bring that up.
Melrose is right as rain. Reccmmended course of action: get past the first round to shut up the naysayers.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
If the people that counted respected Melorose's opinions, he'd still be in the NHL.
There are a lot of great hockey minds not involved in the NHL anymore.

There's only so many jobs to go around.

Melrose may not be a GREAT hockey mind, but he isn't an idiot.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:42 PM
PawelW007

I like Melrose, not love, but like......

He does make the point, the Rangers do throw money at their problems, and according to some dude from New York, Mo Money Mo Problems, sounds like an airtight alibi to me...

Melrose picked the Rangers to win the cup because he thought Bryan Trottier was the answer to our problems. He's an analyst, his analysis is wrong, so is ours a lot of the time.

Redden is a PP QB
Scott Gomez is going to flourish with Jagr on the wing
Chris Drury won a Little League world series, heres 7 million dollars a year

PawelW007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:53 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Melrose mentions the Rangers twice in his Mondays with Melrose segment on NHL.com.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=2943

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=2945

I feel like the first article is a shot at the Rangers.

The second, I don't think there is any way in hell that Richards has the most pressure on him.

I never knew Melrose disliked the Rangers this much.

"The Rangers front office decided the team needed a scorer, so they signed Marian Gaborik. There was the Wade Redden thing before that. The team throws money at its problems. That's a list: the top five Rangers acquisitions that didn't work out."

What does Redden have to do with pressure on the Rangers. They didn't over pay for Richards like they did with Redden, Gomez, and Drury. Richards has a resume the other 3 can only dream about and unlike Gomez, Drury, and Redden has shown by his time in Dallas that he is not a product of the system of the team by being successful with two different teams.

To think I actually held a high opinion of Melrose.
Not for nothing, but Melrose also bashed the Prudential Center a few years ago, without ever having gone to it.

He's an idiot.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:01 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Not for nothing, but Melrose also bashed the Prudential Center a few years ago, without ever having gone to it.

He's an idiot.
Not sure reading crime reports about Newark and then making a joke about it makes you an idiot, but sure.

Old
10-03-2011, 10:22 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Not sure reading crime reports about Newark and then making a joke about it makes you an idiot, but sure.
I've been to the Prudential Center many times, and the area around there is fine. No better or worse then the area around the Garden to be honest. He looked at the fact that it was in Newark, which is known as this dangerous city, and said not to go outside the arena cause you'd get mugged. Even admitted later on that he'd never been to the arena. It was an idiotic thing to say, in my opinion.

Old
10-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Just curious. Which playoff team doesn't "throw money at it's problems?" Name me one good team that hasn't addressed at least one need via free agency. Bringing up Gomez, drury, and redden is like talking penguins and bringing up how they finished last in the league before being saved by Crosby. It's over. These players are not on the team and we have built a team through the draft that was now ready to have key pieces added via free agency. Melrose has become a dinosaur. He was great during the colorado-Detroit playoff series in the 90's but he's just lost his ability to accurately analyze...anything about this sport. See: melrose the Tampa bay coach. See: melrose making hockey look like a side show on his rare espn appearances during the playoffs. The game has changed and Barry hasn't. Also see: his haircut which also has failed to evolve with it's surrounding environment.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:44 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
I've been to the Prudential Center many times, and the area around there is fine. No better or worse then the area around the Garden to be honest. He looked at the fact that it was in Newark, which is known as this dangerous city, and said not to go outside the arena cause you'd get mugged. Even admitted later on that he'd never been to the arena. It was an idiotic thing to say, in my opinion.
Unfortunately you're not allowed to joke when you're in a professional position. Especially if it could offend someone. I disagree about the area around the Rock and the Garden entirely, 100%. And looking at the fact that it's Newark, and Newark is always pretty high in crime rate, would make that comment more accurate than false. Was it appropriate? No. The guy should know he's not allowed to make jokes like that. Doesn't make it any less true though.

Old
10-03-2011, 10:59 PM
SouthJerseyRanger

Let's just go through the likely opening day roster (+Marc Staal)
4 Michael Del Zotto - Rangers draft pick
5 Dan Girardi - Rangers draft pick
8 Brandon Prust - trade with Calgary
10 Marian Gaborik - free agency
16 Sean Avery - trade with Los Angeles, claimed off waivers from Dallas
17 Brandon Dubinsky - Rangers draft pick
18 Marc Staal - Rangers draft pick
19 Brad Richards - free agency
21 Derek Stepan - Rangers draft pick
22 Brian Boyle - trade with Los Angeles (saw first significant NHL action with Rangers)
24 Ryan Callahan - Rangers draft pick
26 Ruslan Fedotenko - free agency
27 Ryan McDonagh - played first NHL game with Rangers
30 Henrik Lundqvist - Rangers draft pick
36 Mats Zuccarello - played first NHL game with Rangers
38 Michael Sauer - Rangers draft pick
39 Brendan Bell - free agency
40 Erik Christensen - claimed off waivers
42 Artem Anisimov - Rangers draft pick
43 Martin Biron - free agency
44 Steve Eminger - free agency
71 Mike Rupp - free agency
86 Wojtek Wolski - trade with Phoenix

11 players came up through the Ranger system or played their first NHL game with the Rangers. All 4 of the top 4 D-men (and once Erixon is called up, all 6 starting defensemen), the #1 goalie, and 5 of the Top 9 forwards (again, with the expected arrival of Kreider and Thomas/Hagelin, another number that will increase) either were drafted by the Rangers or saw their first NHL action with the Rangers. Hey, you can even argue that Prust and Boyle saw their first actual success with the Rangers, and that Gaborik signed his first UFA contract with the Rangers.

7 came through free agency

5 came through waivers or a trade

so... half the team (and a large majority of the core) are home-grown and the other half was augmented through trades and free agency. That's not at all dissimilar to recent Cup winners and finalists. Sure we're known for big free agent signings; but this is New York.

just for clarity... here's the potential mid-season depth chart, with a (*) next to players who were drafted by or played their first NHL game with the Rangers.

Wolski - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky* - Anisimov* - Callahan*
Fedotenko - Stepan* - Zuccarello*
Rupp - Boyle - Prust
Avery

Staal* - Girardi*
Sauer* - McDonagh*
Del Zotto* - Erixon*
Eminger

Lundqvist*
Biron

Last edited by SouthJerseyRanger: 10-03-2011 at 11:08 PM.
SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:08 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Unfortunately you're not allowed to joke when you're in a professional position. Especially if it could offend someone. I disagree about the area around the Rock and the Garden entirely, 100%. And looking at the fact that it's Newark, and Newark is always pretty high in crime rate, would make that comment more accurate than false. Was it appropriate? No. The guy should know he's not allowed to make jokes like that. Doesn't make it any less true though.
That's fine. I get that Newark is high in crime, and I get that the Garden is in mid-town..but again, I've been to both arenas many times and I've never felt unsafe around either. But we can just agree to disagree, I guess.

Old
10-03-2011, 11:19 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
One of us is remembering things completely wrong. And I'm too lazy to find out who it is.
Every one is at least partly right when it's comes to a discussion on Melrose.

I barely made it off the couch to write this post

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:32 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Just drop them damn puck on Friday already!!!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote