HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TEAM990: McKenzie say most likely no suspension for Malone (official: no suspension)

Old
10-03-2011, 08:14 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I am extremely surprised that no suspension was given. I was not expecting a dozen games or anything but at least a couple. This just continues the NHLs inconsistent stance on suspensions.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Physical HABuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Malone's intent was never to play the puck. He was out to hit someone and start **** with the Habs after Subban took down Lecavalier with that hip check. Campoli made a simple mistake. As a puck moving defenseman, it's in his nature to love moving the puck. On this particular play, he is breaking out of the zone himself by carrying the puck out. Times like this happen, where you lose control of the puck. Campoli did and for that one second, he changed his body position and looked down to find the puck that he had lost. In that moment, Malone came in and connected with Campoli's head.

There was no time for Malone to react to the sudden change of Campoli's body position or the fact that he had his head down. I see the reason why Shanahan had a hard time with this one, but I don't understand why he didn't add into the equation that Malone was head-hunting all night. His motive was clear, with his constant late hits and his spearing on Campoli, who was down on the ice trying to recover a puck.
It's a dumb ruling truthfully. I will give you my thoughts in a moment. I will respond to your comment first. I really don't think they do or can take into account how fiesty player has been earlier in the game. The hit itself is broken down to determine if it is illegal or not.....period.

Now my turn....people keep talking about how Campoli is leaned forward and therefore Malone hit him in the head. As far as I can tell, Malone was not going for the puck. He allowed it to go by him. He took a line at Campoli to hit him and the principle point of contact was the head. He actually did not get his Campoli's body at all. If Malone was going for the body, he would have hit the body and caught Campoli's head by mistake, as he leaned forward. If Malone was not aiming for the head.....what was he aiming for because he would have missed Campoli altogether? Instead, he exploded into the hit.....and made the head the principle point of contact. No attempt was made to avoid contact and Campoli was in a vulnerable position, clearly looking at the puck and not looking to initiate or engage in physical contact with Malone. I'm afraid there was some tunnel vision here regarding Campoli leaning forward....and it really is not what influenced the outcome of the hit.

Physical HABuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 08:16 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I can't believe how bitter you guys are. You all sound like you got sand in your vagina. Oh no, a guy got hit by what would have 100% been a legal check last year and every other year of the NHL's existence and your all crying. Oh noes, lets bash and belittle an organization because they have the same colors as another team and have those big bad francophones on it.

Suck it up and be men already. You don't see the Habs players snivelling like a 2 year old who just spilt her milk.

The NHL is the best freaking league, I love the NHL. Its a great league, Gary Bettmen is a great commission, better than any other that I can remember.

I have never been so passionate about hockey as I am now. It's the greatest game on earth imo. I love how hard it is to win the Stanley Cup. I love that we have the most gruelling playoffs. But we also have the most cherished trophy in all of pro sports.

Campbell is a great guy, he's passionate about his job. Yea he's not the youngest or most creative guy out there, but he enforced the rules the best way he could given the ramifications. Hockey is a multi billion dollar business, you have to accept that its a business, if you can't and expect it to be some theoretical perfectly run league, then your pretty damn nieve and you deserve the unhappiness you get from expecting it to something that it can never be.

Hockey is a great sport and I love it. The NHL is one of the best ran leagues in sports. Its continually improving and evolving with the times, you don't see baseball evolving the way hockey does. Hockey is a unique sport that combines so many different skills, its violent, its tough and its played at a fast pace.

Even with all the replays in the world, we can't say 100% that it was a head shot or not, we all know that 99% sure it was a headshot but we don't have conclusive evidence proving it was. Expecting the NHL to be perfect is pure stupidity on people's part. They are only human.
Your posts over the last few months have become more bizarre with each passing day. We want consistency, nothing else. No one is saying they don't enjoy hockey, we all do, or we wouldn't be on here posting everyday.

You can say with absolute 100% certainty that Malone's hit was to the head, it's not debatable, what is debatable is whether or not he could of avoided it or minimized the impact. He attempted neither.

Being a man has nothing to do with wanting a consistent ruling, we all enjoy hits, I actually believe the onus has to be on the puck carrier a bit as well, but with the explanations giving in the video clips presented by the league their decision was contradictory to those examples.

Sure the videos can't cover everything, but none of them suggested the head could be targeted if a player was vulnerable, they all stated that they were primarily body checks not primary contact to the head. Out of all the hits to the head they couldn't produce one example of when it was ok to hit the head as the principle point of contact until now? Seriously? Pretty large omission if you ask me.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:00 PM
SB164

Shanahan's video explanation for the Malone hit on Campoli.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=60&id=125990

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Shanahan's video explanation for the Malone hit on Campoli.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=60&id=125990
The point at which Shanahan highlights Malone "committing" to the hit seems awful far apart to me. Almost the whole diameter of the faceoff circle

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:14 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
The point at which Shanahan highlights Malone "committing" to the hit seems awful far apart to me. Almost the whole diameter of the faceoff circle
The puck goes right by Malone, he didn't even attempt to recover a loose puck then he leaps into Campoli. Were back to stupid make up as you go rules to try not to suspend a player.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Boardish

Why is Malone only hitting Campoli's head then? I mean, if Campoli doesn't reach out for the puck, Malone wouldn't even have hit him at all with his ''committed'' trajectory. He clearly targetted the head, else he would have chose to hit more at his right, which would have been the body/shoulder of Campoli. It's not like he tried to avoid Campoli and then accidently hit his head either.

That's BS. Can't say I'm surprised though.

Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
The puck goes right by Malone, he didn't even attempt to recover a loose puck then he leaps into Campoli. Were back to stupid make up as you go rules to try not to suspend a player.
Yeah, that's another issue I have. Putting that aside though because bodychecking has become about inflicting pain rather than winning the puck and when hits are tracked in the NHL separation of the player from the puck doesn't matter.

Diameter of the faceoff circle looks to be a bit of an exaggeration on my part looking at things closely

Diameter of the faceoff circle is 30', Campoli is at the goal-line which is about 5' from the edge of the faceoff circle. Malone is about 5' from the centre-point of the circle if I'm not out to lunch on my guessing.

So say there's 20 feet of separation when Malone commits to the hit. That would mean that if you hit a guy from behind, if he's behind the net and he turns when you're at the icing line that shouldn't be a penalty or suspendable offense (11 feet from the end-boards to the icing line, cutting the 20 feet in half because the players would not be moving toward each other.)

I'm not comfortable with that at all.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I really don't like the ruling.

But I am VERY happy Shanahan explained his ruling. It's my opinion that for the whole process to be transparent, you have to explain suspensions and lack of suspensions, not just the former.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:35 PM
LesHabitants4ever
Rookie User

That was the most dirty knee on knee I've ever seen.
Surprised no suspension.

LesHabitants4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:42 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I can't believe how bitter you guys are. You all sound like you got sand in your vagina. Oh no, a guy got hit by what would have 100% been a legal check last year and every other year of the NHL's existence and your all crying. Oh noes, lets bash and belittle an organization because they have the same colors as another team and have those big bad francophones on it.

Suck it up and be men already. You don't see the Habs players snivelling like a 2 year old who just spilt her milk.

The NHL is the best freaking league, I love the NHL. Its a great league, Gary Bettmen is a great commission, better than any other that I can remember.

I have never been so passionate about hockey as I am now. It's the greatest game on earth imo. I love how hard it is to win the Stanley Cup. I love that we have the most gruelling playoffs. But we also have the most cherished trophy in all of pro sports.

Campbell is a great guy, he's passionate about his job. Yea he's not the youngest or most creative guy out there, but he enforced the rules the best way he could given the ramifications. Hockey is a multi billion dollar business, you have to accept that its a business, if you can't and expect it to be some theoretical perfectly run league, then your pretty damn nieve and you deserve the unhappiness you get from expecting it to something that it can never be.

Hockey is a great sport and I love it. The NHL is one of the best ran leagues in sports. Its continually improving and evolving with the times, you don't see baseball evolving the way hockey does. Hockey is a unique sport that combines so many different skills, its violent, its tough and its played at a fast pace.

Even with all the replays in the world, we can't say 100% that it was a head shot or not, we all know that 99% sure it was a headshot but we don't have conclusive evidence proving it was. Expecting the NHL to be perfect is pure stupidity on people's part. They are only human.
Wow.... don't know where to start.

First, Shanny said it was a difficult decision. I don't agree but I can live with it. It seems like he's sending a message with this one that players need to be more responsible for putting themselves in a vulnerable position.... ok... next. We're entitled to be pissed just like TO for the Grabo hit. Add to that the fact that Malone was running around....

Now for your love affair with Bettman.... Please find a room. Bettman has been bad, yes bad, for the game of hockey. He's been good for the business of hockey ( sort of ) but bad for the game.

This is the man who let hockey leave Winnipeg with some of the most rabid fans in the game, but dug his heels in for Phx.... ya he's a great leader.

He allows GM's of teams to have a say in supplementary discipline for players during the year (Burke was consulted on several decisions by Campbell last year)... ya he's a great leader.

He allowed personal feelings for Jim B to keep him out the league... like RIM wouldn't be a good partner... ya he's a great leader.

For the record a great leader would have addressed the head shot years ago when it became evident that the stars of the game were being lost to this injury. Instead he let our game denigrate into a glorified WWE where refereeing is baffling.

How many stars of the game have had concussion. Too many. Yes, hockey is a violent game but there are rules in place to PROTECT players. Unfortunately these rules rarely protect players and in fact hurt them by not calling them.

Not whining about the ruling, to me it was borderline, but I will ask you to consider though, that why should the benefit of doubt be given to the offending party not the offended? Not expecting the NHL to be perfect, but if you've ever played any sport to any level of proficiency you know that you have a great degree of control of your environment. Players know where they are on the ice and can let up in an instant. You see it every game.

Did Campoli put himself at risk, yes, ultimately this is why no suspension. Shanny could have just as easily suspended him for a game or so... I think he chose this route to send a message to players that they are responsible for their own safety too. It sucks as a habs fan because, yes, we want blood after some of the rulings last year.

When Malone hits someone else in the head, and make no mistake, he will, I hope then this hit is considered in the ruling that suspends him for multiple games.

You may be the nAive one.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I really don't like the ruling.

But I am VERY happy Shanahan explained his ruling. It's my opinion that for the whole process to be transparent, you have to explain suspensions and lack of suspensions, not just the former.
I can agree with this. He admitted it wasn't easy and said there's things he did not like. I hope going forward the players understand certain elements of the hit aren't legal.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:54 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I can agree with this. He admitted it wasn't easy and said there's things he did not like. I hope going forward the players understand certain elements of the hit aren't legal.
yeah, sure the players will get the message a'right...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post

Now for your love affair with Bettman.... Please find a room. Bettman has been bad, yes bad, for the game of hockey. He's been good for the business of hockey ( sort of ) but bad for the game.
Hockey has grown by leaps and bounds because of that little man. Go ahead and hate him if you like, but he's been the best thing to happen to this game.

Quote:
This is the man who let hockey leave Winnipeg with some of the most rabid fans in the game, but dug his heels in for Phx.... ya he's a great leader.
Winnipeg let the team leave, not Gary. They couldn't compete, had no interest in being in the new direction of the league. I'm surprised he let them back in. Stop being such a hater.

Quote:
He allows GM's of teams to have a say in supplementary discipline for players during the year (Burke was consulted on several decisions by Campbell last year)... ya he's a great leader.
Gary doesn't do this, the owners allow it. Do you even know what his job entails? Do you understand what exactly he is there to do?

Quote:
He allowed personal feelings for Jim B to keep him out the league... like RIM wouldn't be a good partner... ya he's a great leader.
Right, because being a wealthy owner is all it takes? I guess you forgot about Bruce McNall, and Wayne Huizenga? How about Charles Wang? Want me to name a few other turds with money that own, or have owned a team?

Quote:
For the record a great leader would have addressed the head shot years ago when it became evident that the stars of the game were being lost to this injury. Instead he let our game denigrate into a glorified WWE where refereeing is baffling.
lol the NHLPA has to address this first its not on Gary.

Quote:
How many stars of the game have had concussion. Too many. Yes, hockey is a violent game but there are rules in place to PROTECT players. Unfortunately these rules rarely protect players and in fact hurt them by not calling them.
Again.... NHLPA... owners.... nothing to do with the commish... he does what the owners want, that's who he works for.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:02 PM
HockeyF3ind

No surprise here. Head shots are not permitted in the NHL unless directed at habs players. You could probably kill a habs player with a head shot and not get suspended.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'm surprised by the ruling but Campoli's avoiding a concussion is far more important than punishment for Malone. The Habs face Tampa Bay 4 times a season but they need Campoli for those 4 + 78 others.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post
Why is Malone only hitting Campoli's head then? I mean, if Campoli doesn't reach out for the puck, Malone wouldn't even have hit him at all with his ''committed'' trajectory. He clearly targetted the head, else he would have chose to hit more at his right, which would have been the body/shoulder of Campoli. It's not like he tried to avoid Campoli and then accidently hit his head either.

Ya, that's what popped up in my mind as well, as soon as I heard the video.

I really wouldn't care if there was consistency, logic and intelligence behind the decisions taken, but in most cases, it simply doesn't add up.

As you just said, how can someone be committed to hitting someone, but end up only hitting the head of a player that lunges forward. If you hit the head of someone leaning forward, it's intentional, there is no other option.
Had he been committed to a clean check, Campoli's head would have escaped all contact.

I said it before, Shanny won't change a thing. It's pre-season and already he's shifted gears, probably got some pressure and criticism, now he took a step backward.

I've said it before, the only way to properly judge these head shots is without any subjectivity. Shanahan's opinion of what transpired on that play is easily questionable. There also is absolutely no guideline as to how many games players get when suspended. Sometimes it's between 1-3, other times around 5, sometimes 8, seriously, it just seems completely random. How do they come up with those numbers exactly? As stupid as it sounds, it seriously look like absolute randomness.

They need to ban head hits. It does't matter if it's Chara hitting a midget, if it's a player lunging forward, if it's a player that gets his head caved in from trying to toe drag his way into the center, if it's a player turning around at the last second placing himself in a vulnerable position, if it's from behind, if it's a blindside one, or if it's purely intentional. They should all be banned. it is very important to take it into account. Doing otherwise is just plain retarded (quite representative of how the NHL approaches this issue).
You also have to take into consideration the way the game has been going. If a player is constantly looking to stir crap up during a game,
The minimum suspension should be 5games, if you're a repeat offender, you add 10games. After the third offense, you double the suspension, which would mean 50games.
Very importantly, you keep the same punishment during the POs. You don't drop it down to one game because you'll be receiving a ton of pressure.
You make sure the organization get hefty fines as well. Punishing the players only is half the work.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:09 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I'm surprised by the ruling but Campoli's avoiding a concussion is far more important than punishment for Malone. The Habs face Tampa Bay 4 times a season but they need Campoli for those 4 + 78 others.
Hopefully, someone will take care of Malone next game between the two teams.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Delat

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
As much as I'd like it, we have no one for that.

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:27 PM
habsjunkie2*

He said it as I knew he would, doesn't change my opinion here. If Campoli hadn't of lunged Malone would of missed him completely. He went directly at the head.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Plekanov

There are so many things Shanahan doesn't like about this hit, yet not enough for a 1 game call or even a fine.

If I was into conspiracy theories...I'd say the Shanny-Stevie Y connection is the ''Campbell'' of the month

Plekanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:29 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Hockey has grown by leaps and bounds because of that little man. Go ahead and hate him if you like, but he's been the best thing to happen to this game.

Winnipeg let the team leave, not Gary. They couldn't compete, had no interest in being in the new direction of the league. I'm surprised he let them back in. Stop being such a hater.

Gary doesn't do this, the owners allow it. Do you even know what his job entails? Do you understand what exactly he is there to do?

Right, because being a wealthy owner is all it takes? I guess you forgot about Bruce McNall, and Wayne Huizenga? How about Charles Wang? Want me to name a few other turds with money that own, or have owned a team?

lol the NHLPA has to address this first its not on Gary.

Again.... NHLPA... owners.... nothing to do with the commish... he does what the owners want, that's who he works for.
Have to disagree with you. Bettman has not grown the game. His vision of bringing the NHL to the sun belt has for the most part been a miserable failure. Dallas has arguably been the most successful and they've filed for bankruptcy. A couple cups have been won, but really tell me how. TB, FLA, Dal, ANA, PHX could be considered successful. SJ, Car are doing ok, and LA has been there too long to attribute anything to Bettman. Carolina could be on life support easily if they continue to miss the playoffs. If you want to attribute our growth in the south to anyone it has to be GRETZKY.

Really, Winnipeg let the team leave, it had nothing to do with the fact that there was no revenue sharing in place, no cap, and a crappy dollar. Even with revenue sharing and the cap most US teams struggle. And you make my point by saying that they left by not buying into Gary's vision. Surprised they let a team back in... puhleeze nice ego on you.... any team, even Mtl would be proud to have fans like that.

No actually, as commissioner he presides over all aspects of the game, not just business decisions. As CEO he can delegate, but ultimately any successes and failures of any portion of the business fall at his feet.

Jim B was not just a wealthy owner, and yes there have been lots of failures that HE let into the owners circle. His personal battle with Jim B not withstanding the fact that he cedes to the will of the LAFFS with regard to "protecting" the Toronto region is laughable. Any businessman with an ounce of intelligence would see the extra revenue to be earned and tell the special interest party to back off for the good of the entire business. Hamilton should have a team. Jim B would make it happen end of story.

The NHLPA does share responsibility in some areas but with regard to discipline and the rules of the game that is the NHL's realm. The NHLPA can and should make recommendations but they merely represent the "employees" while the NHL are the guardian of the game.

As commissioner he has allowed far to many special interest groups and personal ego to influence decisions. Growing the game in the US has been important but I wouldn't give him too much credit. I'll also point out that the game grows in the rest of the world without him and in fact this growth (Russia) has taken star players from our game. His inability to reach an agreement with the KHL has hindered many teams development programs.

I for one would like to see Ken Dryden take his gig, what a refreshing moment that would be.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Unfortunately, that is wishful thinking. Best you can hope for is someone waving at Stamkos or St. Louis.

The only deterrent that the Habs can possibly provide is a top ranked PP, because there is absolutely no one on the roster who can take care of business.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Physical HABuse

Quote:

Exactly the point I was trying to make above. I really can't see how it can be interrupted as anything else.

Physical HABuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Habbadasher

Quote:

I haven't read all of the posts, but I was about to post more or less the same thing.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote