HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers trying to get rid of Avery

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2011, 04:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBaja View Post
I think this entire thing, not this article, but this entire preseason of "avery might get cut" - is because the summer (with the cop thing), and Avery in general, scares the crap out of management. So they are trying to put as much possible pressure on Avery to play this year without getting into lots of trouble, and to play hard. If he can't do that with the entire world against him, then he's not gonna make it.
You are making it out to be more complicated than it really is...... Avery is in the final year of his overpaid contract and has been clearly inconsistent for the past 2 seasons and has not been able to create a regular role for himself in the line-up due to his inconsistent play.... That's all there is too it.... Rangers are looking ahead and Avery is not going to factor into the long term plans for obvious reasons.... On the flip side of Avery's situation you look at Prust & Boyle and how they were once on the outside looking in but carved nice little niches for themselves in the line-up through hard work and consistent efforts/play, their jobs are safe for those very reasons, they have specific roles to play....

Old
10-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Matteau Matteau

What "latest round of antics?" Defending a teammate who just took a rough, pointless hit, getting called an anti-gay slur, and then telling the media yes when they ask if it happened?

Whoa....some real antics there! How will the Rangers survive such a distraction!?

These are "antics" because they involve Avery. Any other player and we'd never even hear about it again. And if they're still talking about the cop thing, get over it. It's in the past and he apparently didn't do shi*, at least not enough to face charges.

Old
10-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Stasis
Mad Decent

TVA Sports is a new sports channel on a well established TV network in Montreal. Basically a competitor to Radio Canada (Quebec's biggest TV network, and owner of RDS) TVA decided to start their own sports network this year.

I'm not saying this should add any credibility to this particular rumor, but this isn't some random backwater radio station. TVA Sports has a hockey show called Le Match, hosted by some retired players/announcers, etc. like Brisebois, Laraque, Morissette and others.

The guy who said this, Michel Langevin, was with RDS for the last 2 years and recently quit to go work for TVA. Who knows if there's any truth to what he's saying, or if he just wants attention... but the bottom line is that these ARE somewhat established hockey people. Just trying to clear it all up =)

I actually work for TVA, and in the studio right next to TVA Sports. If I see him, I'll ask him where he "heard" that =P

Old
10-02-2011, 11:52 AM
satrabyk

Thats fine get rid of him but playoffs and beyond look that much more slim if you do. Believe it or not this guy is important and we still dont have the guys to fill his void.

Old
10-02-2011, 11:56 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
You are making it out to be more complicated than it really is...... Avery is in the final year of his overpaid contract and has been clearly inconsistent for the past 2 seasons and has not been able to create a regular role for himself in the line-up due to his inconsistent play.... That's all there is too it.... Rangers are looking ahead and Avery is not going to factor into the long term plans for obvious reasons.... On the flip side of Avery's situation you look at Prust & Boyle and how they were once on the outside looking in but carved nice little niches for themselves in the line-up through hard work and consistent efforts/play, their jobs are safe for those very reasons, they have specific roles to play....
Ya sure, no job is safe in the NHL its about winning and losing and trust me Avery can contribtute to winning just as much as he can losing. If he has a structured team with real top line talent like he did with Jagr he can flourish on the bottom six and occassional top line player. Its not as if hes out of shape in training camp, hes looked good. He has more hockey sense than the two players mentioned and can also play the grinding role they play. Its does not make sense to trade him away.

Old
10-02-2011, 03:34 PM
GarretJoseph

I really hope he scores 25 goals, 30 assists, 200pims, gets suspended 3 times and lifts the cup with the Rangers.

**** the haters.

Old
10-02-2011, 05:02 PM
jerrywally23*

Avery is a really good player, but due to some of his action on and off the ice might make him expendable.

Old
10-02-2011, 07:12 PM
HellasLEAF
I want Capt'n Crunch

if Avery 'does' stick with the big club and make it to opening night, where do you see him.

3rd line?? with whom?

Old
10-02-2011, 07:15 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellasLEAF View Post
if Avery 'does' stick with the big club and make it to opening night, where do you see him.

3rd line?? with whom?
press box

Old
10-02-2011, 07:33 PM
eco's bones

If Avery goes he might be someone who comes back to haunt us at least for a little while. I'd rather not have him in the East to be honest.

Avery is pricey as a 4th liner. Spending nearly $2 mil on a spare forward is not IMO very smart. I like Sean but there are limits. I don't like Christensen very much at all. Apart from his shootout ability he's a floater who shows up about every 4 or 5 games. Considering that he's in a battle for the final forward spot--today he didn't really show all that much. His personality might also be the strangest on the team. His contract is cheaper but one thing I get out of this training camp is the Rangers (particularly Torts) wants to turn the page on both of them. Of the two again I'd prefer keeping Avery but depending on how marginalized his role is it might be best for both him (if he can land somewhere else) and the team if he goes.

Old
10-02-2011, 07:40 PM
NYRKING30

i seen gilbert brule was placed on waivers by edmonton.we should offer up christensen if he clears. he could be an intresting gamble i believe his contract is up after this year.

Old
10-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
I actually work for TVA, and in the studio right next to TVA Sports. If I see him, I'll ask him where he "heard" that =P
Please do share what you learn, and thank you for the info.

Though, be aware that no matter what you are told, some people here will never believe that Avery could possibly be a problem for the team.

Old
10-02-2011, 08:47 PM
GarretJoseph

If gotta roll with Avery, I just don't see Sather getting rid of him no matter how much Torts might dislike him. Avery belongs to Sather.

Old
10-02-2011, 08:54 PM
NYRKING30

i would be pretty disappointed if torts chose EC over avery. i just feel avery will be very valuable down the stretch and in the playoffs this year. i think its just taking him some time (he cant afford) this year to get going.

Old
10-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

I don't hate Avery, not a big fan of last years version but he is earning a spot this year IMO. One thing I am certain of is I would NOT want him on CT. If they decide they don't want him on the team maybe they can loan him to an AHL club that we're not affiliated with. Similar to the Souray situation last year.

Old
10-02-2011, 09:35 PM
IAMREALITY

I hope to hell they're not.

Sean can still TOTALLY be an effective player and he has had an awesome camp. If he plays to his potential this year then he's better than half of our offense. Can't stand the Sean negativity. So much ignorance involved there. But personally, I'd be a bit pissed if they got rid of him. He can absolutely still be a vital part of our walk down the road of Mr. Stanley. No doubt in my mind about that. And I also love him to death. He IS a true Blue Blood Ranger and he has the perfect East coast attitude. I think most of his antics are downright hilarious actually. I'm proud of how he speaks his mind and has the balls to do what he does. And I'm also proud of him for all the things he does off the ice. Which I also always kinda laugh at; the fact that he's more generous, kind and valuable to his community than probably just about every damn person who criticizes him from behind their keyboard.

Old
10-03-2011, 12:13 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
If Avery stops taking stupid penalties, he's fine. Torts hates him, but he could deal with him if he didn't hurt the team with stupid penalties. Right now the hole team needs to stop taking so many penalties or else they're not going to be winning many games and Avery is a microcosm of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Would another NHL team touch Avery on waivers? Not after his antics in Dallas.
I don't know about that. There's a lot of sleaze on teams around the League. If a team like Vancouver would say they're above having Avery play for them it would shock the hell outta me.

Old
10-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Chief

Is there something to the speculation? Here's what Bob McKenzie tweeted yesterday: "Does Sean Avery finish this season as a New York Ranger? I wonder sometimes."

Old
10-03-2011, 09:57 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Is there something to the speculation? Here's what Bob McKenzie tweeted yesterday: "Does Sean Avery finish this season as a New York Ranger? I wonder sometimes."
What insight does Bob McKenzie have to our team that our beat writers don't? He's basing it on the fact that Avery has been scratched the last two games and is competing for the extra forward spot.

I'm not sure that assuming a player who is in a camp battle to be the extra forward might not actually finish the season with their team is that revealing a statement...do you?

Old
10-03-2011, 10:07 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
I hope to hell they're not.

Sean can still TOTALLY be an effective player and he has had an awesome camp. If he plays to his potential this year then he's better than half of our offense.
This may be the funniest thing ever written about Avery.

Old
10-03-2011, 10:11 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
This may be the funniest thing ever written about Avery.
Chosen:

"10 and 30
10 and 30
10 and 30
10 and 30"

4 times in 9 years and you twist it into his being a machine of consistency, and you say I make stupid comments.........

And you still can't admit that saying someone repeatedly makes stupid comments is not a personal attack.

Ruckus:

Wait...you're not joking? You're taking into account a rookie season for a 3rd/4th line player where they only played 36 games, a year in which he played in just 51 games between two different teams (and still had 6 goals...hmm pretty much on pace for the ten I rounded to), a season in which he played in just 41 games between two teams (and still had 8 goals and 22 points...hmmm...again, 10 and 30, 10 and 30, 10 and 30)?

See this is why you're a complete joke when it comes to discussing this. You manipulate things however you see fit regardless of whether or not it makes any sense, then you state it as a fact, and then you act like anyone who questions you on it is a complete homer when it comes to the guy.

There is NO WAY you can say 4 times in 9 years and take yourself seriously when you actually break it down like I just did above.

Want to take pretty much full seasons?

9 and 28
15 and 39
18 and 48 during his insane run when he first came here
15 and 33
11 and 31
3 and 24

Now I'm sure you can do simple math right? What do those goal totals average out to? Oh, that's weird. 11.8 goals per year on average. And what did I say? 10? Damn. It was a rough estimate, I admit. And what do those assist totals average out to? Huh..33.8 assists per season. What was it I said again? That's right 30.

10 and 30
10 and 30
10 and 30

His averages for the six years that he PLAYED FULL SEASONS.

If you want to include years where he played half a year and say "4 times in 9 years" because you think in your twisted logic that it makes you right, then fine. But don't get bent out of shape when I prove to you yet again that you're wrong, and every comment you make when it comes to the guy is biased.

Funnier than that? Maybe not for you, considering you never responded, per usual.

Old
10-03-2011, 10:14 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
i don't think there is any inside knowledge there...everyone knows that avery is on the bubble and might not be on the team after wednesday no less at the end of the season

Old
10-04-2011, 07:53 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

@ ruckus - I think you meant to write 33.8 points, not assists.

Sean has talent, no question. It's what's between the ears that puts him in positions like this.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I wonder how much cap hit is going to factor here? Specifically thinking down the road, like trade deadline. If the Rangers are in a good position at the deadline and someone significant becomes available they will probably need some cap room for that said person to fit in and stay under the cap ceiling. So, how will that factor in the clubs decision? To me, Avery is the better overall player however is he double the player that Eric Christensen is like his cap hit suggests? No way.

Maybe the decision is going to be who gets you more bang for the buck?

Old
10-04-2011, 08:17 AM
mullichicken25

sean's problem is simple

he doesnt play consistantly well enough to justify a roster spot when he's not getting under other teams skin

If you want to get into specifics, he doesnt have the puck handeling or passing ability to consistantly play the type of game he tries to play in the offensive zone. This makes him largely ineffective as he's prone to costly turnovers. We've seen it countless times...he secures the puck down low, fights hard behind the net, makes a good move or two, but ultimately turns the puck over before they can finish the job.

This isn't to say he can never be effective but, over a large enouch sample size, his lack of abilities catch up to him.

If he makes this team, he should be a 4th liner who gets plugged into anyline that needs a spark. He's good for one or two explosive games at a time, but your just not going to get consistant success over the long term

Closed Thread