HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Top 25

Old
10-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Grant McCagg

vCash: 500
Great work as always Dan - the only glaring omission is Nattinen, but the jury is certainly out on him. Trevor still likes him quite a bit though, and from conversations with him last spring I'd suspect he's still in his top 12 as far as prospects go - he expects him to be a pro center with solid faceoff skills at some point.

I scouted Nattinen quite a bit in his draft year, including seeing him live a couple of times at the WJC's in Ottawa, and saw him play in three WJC's for Finland. I'm not as down on him as you are, but there are parts of his game he still needs to work on. He will need to be more consistent in his intensity and I don't see high-end offensive skill, but he's a big presence with good hockey sense and decent skating skills - he has potential as a big shutdown center, and Trevor expects him to play in the NHL someday. Alas he's a tall kid who still needs to do some filling out. At the end of the day I think he'll be more effective on NA rinks as he learns to use his size effectively - we'll have a better idea after this season where he stands.

That's a solid top ten - my only change would be to move Kristo down a few spots behind Gallagher, Tinordi and perhaps even Bournival, but it's close between all those guys IMO. Kristo's hockey sense is a bit in question for me, plus his lack of girth. He will need to learn to keep his head up at the pro level or he'll last about a week. I'm glad he's staying another year in UND - he still has some maturing to do. It wouldn't shock me if he has a great year, but I expect Bournival, Gallagher and Tinordi to have even better years - all impressed me during their exhibition games.

Quailer needs a bounce back season, but is certainly capable of being in the top 20 if he can fully regain his skating abilities.

Keep up the great work! Not easy doing a top 25, but it's solid.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Habbadasher

Dan, are you allowed to remind us of your website name or provide a link?

If not, can you PM me?

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Mag1328

Dumont, Nash, Nattinen and Deitz all need to be a bit higher on that list. Maybe Bennett too but he's not bad where you've ranked him.

No mention of St-Denis. Funny 'cause although he plays a "boring" game and isn't viewed as a prospect, he'll have a taste of the NHL, whereas the majority of the others on that list won't.

Mag1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:22 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I put up a top 25 on my site. Lots of interesting prospects this time around and several like Nygren, Bourinval, Trunev, Dietz have gotten off to good starts. The NCAA starts the regular season this week for most schools.

I know some aren't going to be happy to see Leblanc and Kristo over Gallagher and perhaps Bourinval but either way they are our top forward prospects so put them in any order you want as it's close with all of them imo. Clearly I like Leblanc and Kristo more then most but I could see them getting passed in future rankings.

Got to like the depth we have on defense now. Here's to all the prospects hopefully having great seasons!

Top 25

1. Nathan Beaulieu
2. Louis Leblanc
3. Danny Kristo
4. Brendan Gallagher
5. Jarred Tinordi
6. MichaŽl Bournival
7. Alexei Emelin

8. Aaron Palushaj
9. Alexander Avtsin
10. Mac Bennett
11. Magnus Nygren
12. Morgan Ellis
13. Gabriel Dumont
14. Andreas Engqvist
15. Daniel Pribly
16. Mark MacMillan
17. Olivier Archambault
18. Josiah Didier
19. Brendon Nash
20. Andrew Conboy
21. Mark Mitera
22. Alain Berger
23. Darren Dietz
24. Maxim Trunev
25. Peter Delmas

HM Brock Trotter, Dustin Walsh, Greg Pateryn, Joonas Nšttinen
The guys in bold above I think make the Habs at some point. Or make the NHL anyway. That's 8 guys in the next say three years. Very good.

If I've missed someone, please do not hesitate to correct me!

Edit: I have always been high on Dumont too. I love this kid. But my selections were based on guys I am very confident in making the HABS, and GD just misses that list, but not by much.

Last edited by bsl: 10-03-2011 at 11:57 PM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:07 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag1328 View Post
Dumont, Nash, Nattinen and Deitz all need to be a bit higher on that list. Maybe Bennett too but he's not bad where you've ranked him.

No mention of St-Denis. Funny 'cause although he plays a "boring" game and isn't viewed as a prospect, he'll have a taste of the NHL, whereas the majority of the others on that list won't.
If St-Denis has a taste of the NHL, it will be with another team since, right now, the habs have Nash, Woywitka and Yemelin in front of him. And next year, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Nygren, Ellis could all come play in Hamilton. It's Frederic's last year of his contract and, if all these youngsters come over, I doubt he gets resigned. He was good defensively from what I gathered in the pre-season but he still lacks the mobility that this organisation drools about. He's already 25 too.

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:48 AM
august

http://www.habprospects.com/modules....rticle&sid=165

august is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:01 AM
Ghost of the Forum

Thank you for presenting your analysis Dan. Your contributions on this forum are always well reasoned and insightful. Much appreciated!

Ghost of the Forum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:14 AM
neofury*

Just wanted to say I'm pretty high on Kristo too. Glad to see I'm not the only one to think Kristo could be a gem.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:26 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Easily the best list that I have seen yet.

I would definitely move Archambault ahead of Engqvist though. I don't think Engqvist has any upside at all and will only be a stop gap solution.
Thanks. I actually had Archambault higher but opted to put him a little lower for now since I never saw him play outside of the preseason games so I felt better to put him lower for now and hopefully after I get to see him a couple times I'll have a better feel for him. Plus as a huge Hamilton fan, I like Engqvist even though I don't think he has much NHL upside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Archambault has bust written all over him. Not that he was a high pick, but in that he won't be an NHLer.
It's possible, another reason why I put Archambault lower is that I don't like the things I've heard about him when he was with Val D Or, granted I don't put too much into it as I hope now that he's been drafted by the Habs he will get his act together. He'll have a good 4 or so years to develop and progress, if he does so great cause clearly he's got skill since he was picked 1st overall in the Q but he just as easily could have already peaked in his development. Should be interesting to see how it shakes it out for him though. A good gamble by Timmins imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Can I get your thoughts on Avtsin and can I get your take on what his upside is and where he would fit in the Habs lineup in a few years?
That's a tough one, I saw just about every game he played in Hamilton and I was really disappointed with how raw he was, he showed flashes of skill but at times seemed very lost without the puck. That said he's easily one of our most skilled prospects so if he can up his compete level, improve his defensive play, and learn to use his frame better, his upside could be pretty high. I would wait to see how it goes for him this year, much like when Kostitsyn came over and played in the AHL at 19, he showed much better things the next season which makes sense since now both are more comfortable with the new culture/style of play so we'll see how it goes for him. If things go well and he improves on the things I suggested, he could start seeing time with the Habs at some point, the good thing is that his contract slid last year so we have him for this season and then 2 more, so he's got time to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Great list, but I would put Nšttinen ahead of Berger.
Thanks. Now that both are in Hamilton this year, by the end of the year I'll have a good feel for where both are in terms of their development and where they should be ranked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dralaf View Post
Yep, great list! Personally, I'd put Gallagher 1st though...
I actually thought of that but didn't want to get carried away with his impressive preseason, as I don't like to put too much into preseason play good or bad. Either way he's one of our best prospects and it will be exciting to see what he can do once he turns pro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Quailer is missing and he is more talented than Conboy.
Yes Quailer is more talented then Conboy but I consider everything and Conboy has other intangables that I feel make him a better prospect then Quailer. I like Quailer but he had a very disappointing season, 3 goals for a top 6 forward is just brutal. I know that coming back from missing a full season can't be easy but he's got to rebound before I put him back in my top 20. Plus he's so soft for a 6'4 guy it's very frustrating to watch. We'll see how it goes for him as I fully expect he'll bounce back and score more as his coach has already said he wants to open up the offense (Northeastern was well known for their tight defensive system under their last coach)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Great work as always Dan - the only glaring omission is Nattinen, but the jury is certainly out on him. That's a solid top ten - my only change would be to move Kristo down a few spots behind Gallagher, Tinordi and perhaps even Bournival, but it's close between all those guys IMO. Kristo's hockey sense is a bit in question for me, plus his lack of girth. He will need to learn to keep his head up at the pro level or he'll last about a week. I'm glad he's staying another year in UND - he still has some maturing to do. It wouldn't shock me if he has a great year, but I expect Bournival, Gallagher and Tinordi to have even better years - all impressed me during their exhibition games.

Quailer needs a bounce back season, but is certainly capable of being in the top 20 if he can fully regain his skating abilities.

Keep up the great work! Not easy doing a top 25, but it's solid.
Thanks Grant. When I do my lists, I got to admit the guys I don't see much I likely underrated vs the guys that I see a lot of and for me I see just about every Hamilton game and a lot of NCAA but aside from the WJC's and the KHL I just don't get to see much of the Euro's so it's hard for me to get a good feel. I saw Nattinen in all 3 of the WJC's and I talked to some in Finland that watched him and they echoed what I thought of him, little offensive upside, poor mobility and foot speed. That said now that he's in Hamilton by the end of the year I should have seen him a lot and will have a much better read on him. It's great to hear he's thought of more highly as we sure could use a big body down the middle, will be interesting to see how he does with the Dogs.

I know what you mean with Kristo, doesn't seem like the smartest kid out there but I love his compete level and his willingness to go into prime scoring areas with the puck at high speed. I've seen a ton of him as North Dakota had a national tv contract this year (and I heard it's going to be the same this year but have yet to see that confirmed, both games are on tv this weekend though for the icebreaker tournament, really hoping to see MacMillan in action) so I'd say it's very possible that I overrate Kristo since i've seen so much of him. Would like to see him fill out a bit but overall I can't wait to see him in Hamilton to see how he adjusts to the pros. I heard he's going to be on a line with Corban Knight and Brock Nelson as the teams #1 line so hopefully he's a lot more consistent this year and has a big season which I suspect he will. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bournvial, Gallagher have better seasons as 19 year olds in junior but I'm expecting Kristo to be one of the best players in the NCAA this year. I actually had thought of putting Gallagher and Bournival over Kristo and Leblanc but I thought I would hold off for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag1328 View Post

I'm easily one of Bennett's biggest fans on this site, I got to see him in the USHL and a number of times last year, I think highly of him but wouldn't put him higher as he needs to cut back on the mental mistakes in his own end, which are to be expected for a Freshman defensemen. Dumont I love the way he plays but 5 goals in the AHL is very disappointing for a guy that racked up the goals in the Q, I fully expect him to have a much better year and once he does I'll move him up higher. Nash has too many problems in his own end, too soft with the puck and needs to cut down on the errors but as a big Cornell fan, I expect him to improve this year. Nattinen I didn't see enough to get a good feel for him, was not overly impressed with him but I will keep a close eye on him this year. Deitz I could see being in the top 20 next time but I wanted to wait and see him a couple times so I put him lower for now.

St-Denis I've been pimping him in the Hamilton thread for the past two seasons, and said I thought he was the Dogs best D last, at least in his own end, they don't call him steady freddy cause it sounds cool. But with him turning 26 in couple months, I left him off the rankings, plus I don't think he has too much NHL upside as his lack of size and strength but in Hamilton he's a beast in his own end, blocks shots left and right just does whatever he can and he's good at both ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of the Forum View Post
Thank you for presenting your analysis Dan. Your contributions on this forum are always well reasoned and insightful. Much appreciated!
That's a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Just wanted to say I'm pretty high on Kristo too. Glad to see I'm not the only one to think Kristo could be a gem.
I fully expect a very big year from Kristo, he's going to get all the quaility ice time for sure so he better produce consistently. Should be fun watching him as he makes things happen in the offensive zone.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote