HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Edler and Sturm: Suspensions?

Old
10-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
There's a good two seconds from when Edler looks at Hall and when contact is made. When Edler tucks his arm in, he has no idea where Hall's head is. He can't possibly know.
Yeah a good 2 seconds in slow motion.

10-03-2011, 01:45 AM
OilerBoy888*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
What a ****ing joke, hopefully they remember that when Eager and Hordichuk go looking for Orca.
Told you nothing's going to happen. Now you know how I've been feeling with my frustrations. Welcome to the club. Management needs to wake up and dress a few more tough guys, not just one measely Ben Eager. We need to send other teams a message by having our tough guys or goons take out the other team's best players if it gets ugly.

OilerBoy888* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:12 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadenOil View Post
Told you nothing's going to happen. Now you know how I've been feeling with my frustrations. Welcome to the club. Management needs to wake up and dress a few more tough guys, not just one measely Ben Eager. We need to send other teams a message by having our tough guys or goons take out the other team's best players if it gets ugly.
If the league won't step in then it's obvious that we need to take matters into our own hands. Sutton sure didn't impose his will out there despite the fact that we needed him to. Maybe not in a scrap, but it would've been nice if he had stapled someone into the boards.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
It was what 6 seconds at .25% speed? Do the math nuckleheads...

You can even tell that Edler is watching him from his peripheral, it's just that his timing was a bit off. Why else would he go for the hit and stop playing the puck?

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
There's a good two seconds from when Edler looks at Hall and when contact is made. When Edler tucks his arm in, he has no idea where Hall's head is. He can't possibly know.
There is still no reason to avoid the puck and lead with your elbow. As for intentionally in the head, I think that's kinda gray. Doubt it was intentional just a stupid play. He should have got 2 for elbowing and 2 for interference.

Sturm on the other hand should have been suspended but whatever I'm not going to lament this all season. The Canucks will surely get slown down this year due to suspensions.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:08 AM
AlanHUK

vCash: 50
interesting to see the sudden lack of suspensions, inconsistancy starting to creep in already, didn't expect Edler to get one, but Sturm for sure should have and Malone should have in the Habs Tampa game should have too, if you consider the previous ones, hopefully we will get video explaining why these aren't suspensions.

It's also worth noting that Malone himself actually thought he'd be getting suspended.

AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post
interesting to see the sudden lack of suspensions, inconsistancy starting to creep in already, didn't expect Edler to get one, but Sturm for sure should have and Malone should have in the Habs Tampa game should have too, if you consider the previous ones, hopefully we will get video explaining why these aren't suspensions.

It's also worth noting that Malone himself actually thought he'd be getting suspended.
MacKenzie tweeted yesterday that Sturm wasn't suspended because the hit was deemed a full body hit with incidental head contact.

In the same tweet he also said Edler was exonerated because Hall lowered his head just prior/simultaneous to hit. He has the just prio/simultaneous in quotations which probably means is the exact wording from Shanny or someone from the league.

Yes as for the Malone hit, that above the two Vancouver ones will definitely open a can of worms. Pretty much big time suspensions thrown to scrubs other than Wiz. Now big name players are hitting heads and Shanny and co can find a reason as to why they are legit?

edit: I shouldn't say big name players but rather NHL players. I'm gonna wait to see how he handles Ovechkin someone who is a premier player in this league and has a prior record.

Last edited by Reimer: 10-03-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old
10-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

^
Yup.
Any shred of credibility Shanahan had is now washed away.
Hot, stinky garbage is what that is.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post

The interesting thing is that the non-suspensions were all against Canadian team.

10-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
The interesting thing is that the non-suspensions were all against Canadian team.
What? Toronto had a player suspended earlier this week.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
It's a weak point but it doesn't make it any less true that so far all the non-suspension were against Canadian teams.

Does it mean anything? Probably not as you said that Toronto got a suspension and Vancouver also got away without a suspension.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:58 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
MacKenzie tweeted yesterday that Sturm wasn't suspended because the hit was deemed a full body hit with incidental head contact.

In the same tweet he also said Edler was exonerated because Hall lowered his head just prior/simultaneous to hit. He has the just prio/simultaneous in quotations which probably means is the exact wording from Shanny or someone from the league.

Yes as for the Malone hit, that above the two Vancouver ones will definitely open a can of worms. Pretty much big time suspensions thrown to scrubs other than Wiz. Now big name players are hitting heads and Shanny and co can find a reason as to why they are legit?

edit: I shouldn't say big name players but rather NHL players. I'm gonna wait to see how he handles Ovechkin someone who is a premier player in this league and has a prior record.
Ovechkin has gotten much better since coming into the league, but if he does something this year, Shanny better throw the book at him

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
I meant the non-suspensions were when the head shot was against a player on a Canadian team.

Last edited by Narnia: 10-03-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Should have been 'head' not 'heat'.
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Belcriss
Its summer

Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
I agree with the posters that say so much for consistency. As for that game Saturday night, there was alot more than just those two plays that should have been looked at. What about the flying charge that ended with an elbow at RNH's head? That was blatant. The knee on knee on Hall was blatant too. Vancouver had Torres running guys last year, many times he didn't even try to play the puck. Just run the player. Evidently thats canuck hockey now. Well, it does go both ways I guess, since Shanny didn't bother with consistency.

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:16 PM
JoeLH

People have to learn that not every check which hits a head is an automatic suspension. Campoli put his head down right before Malone hit him. Hall had his head incredibly deep next to Edlers' hip. It's not about team colours, it's about facts. Shanahan is doing a great job.

JoeLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:24 PM
oilborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLH View Post
People have to learn that not every check which hits a head is an automatic suspension. Campoli put his head down right before Malone hit him. Hall had his head incredibly deep next to Edlers' hip. It's not about team colours, it's about facts. Shanahan is doing a great job.
Shanahan is in a damned if you do/don't situation. There will always be calls that will be unpopular especially when some of these plays move so fast. The problem needs a much broader approach then just fining and suspending the players they need to start handing out stiff penalties to the teams as well. What we forget especially with a club like Vancouver is that this type of hockey (headhunting) is probably encouraged, otherwise why are they gaining this reputation. If a team and it's management and coaches don't want it to happen they can discipline internally but instead some of these players are being directed to wreak this havoc and not only do the players pay the price with their health and their paycheques but the team gets off scott free without any discipline. I say give the coaches penalties, fine the club, cause them some suffering then we will see the end of most of these incidents.

oilborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:46 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
It was what 6 seconds at .25% speed? Do the math nuckleheads...

You can even tell that Edler is watching him from his peripheral, it's just that his timing was a bit off. Why else would he go for the hit and stop playing the puck?
I don't want to have to explain how I got 2 seconds because I think it's something terribly obvious and simple, so I'll come back in a day or so and you guys can let me know if you've figured it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
There is still no reason to avoid the puck and lead with your elbow. As for intentionally in the head, I think that's kinda gray. Doubt it was intentional just a stupid play. He should have got 2 for elbowing and 2 for interference.

Sturm on the other hand should have been suspended but whatever I'm not going to lament this all season. The Canucks will surely get slown down this year due to suspensions.
Edler's purpose of looking is to see if someone's coming in on him. That's standard for every defenseman if they're retrieving a puck in the corners - to protect yourself. Disagree on leading with the elbow, because he has his arm tucked in the entire time until after he hits Hall, which is when the arm comes out. As for interference, plays like this happen a lot (without one player having his head so low, of course) and they're never called for interference.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
I don't want to have to explain how I got 2 seconds because I think it's something terribly obvious and simple, so I'll come back in a day or so and you guys can let me know if you've figured it out.

Drrr Edmonton should move because they don't have 18,000 seats. Drrrr. Really, Cao...come on. Your objectivity on anything involving Edmonton is laughable.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:

Edler's purpose of looking is to see if someone's coming in on him. That's standard for every defenseman if they're retrieving a puck in the corners - to protect yourself. Disagree on leading with the elbow, because he has his arm tucked in the entire time until after he hits Hall, which is when the arm comes out. As for interference, plays like this happen a lot (without one player having his head so low, of course) and they're never called for interference.
I guess you're not a math major then...sorry for asking. I thought it was a lot to ask but i had hopes...i'm hoping at least you can count how many cups Vancouver has won, as it'd be a start at least.

You can clearly see he lead with his elbow (although i like that you call it his "arm" and not his "elbow" - he wasn't trying to clothesline him lol), and of course it was further extended at the end of the hit. That's how you elbow someone!

Old
10-04-2011, 01:01 AM
quasnero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
I guess you're not a math major then...sorry for asking. I thought it was a lot to ask but i had hopes...i'm hoping at least you can count how many cups Vancouver has won, as it'd be a start at least.

You can clearly see he lead with his elbow (although i like that you call it his "arm" and not his "elbow" - he wasn't trying to clothesline him lol), and of course it was further extended at the end of the hit. That's how you elbow someone!
Why do math when the game clock is right there at the top of the video?

quasnero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:29 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasnero View Post
Why do math when the game clock is right there at the top of the video?
Don't let the point completely pass you by on your first post.

Thanks for coming by though...

Old
10-04-2011, 01:31 AM
oilexport

in this game Hall was

1.hit from behind into boards - lucky he was not hurt
2.knee on knee - lucky again
3.elbow to head - lucky again

Tambo is analyzing our toughness and will see how our development process unfolds in future years

Hall joins Crosby by game 20, along with Hemsky...

Edmonton discovers that Shanahan falls asleep by 10 pm eastern time due to past concussions...

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote